Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Thrilla In Manila documentary: Why is Muhammed Ali so highly regarded? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=29384)

redsk1 04-19-2009 07:18 PM

Thrilla In Manila documentary: Why is Muhammed Ali so highly regarded?

I've seen several Muhammed Ali documentaries before, so I've always wondered why MA is so highly regarded in today's society. MA was no doubt one of the greatest fighters ever. I'm less than impressed though w/ his out of the ring behavior and beliefs. Just to name a few:

Character/racist attacks on Joe Frazier

He was a member of the Nation of Islam that outwardly believed in the separation of the races (and didn't really think too much of the white folks either)

An adulterer

Hey, i'm not saying he's the devil here but we need to re-evaluate who we put up on a pedastal. Not exactly a role model here. I know boxers aren't paid to be "nice" guys but MA crossed to many lines in my opinion. To me, he was a loud mouthed, pompous fighter that went too far. He was also one of, if not the greatest fighter ever. Is that why he's so popular? Nobody cares about the other stuff?

Dirtbag59 04-19-2009 07:56 PM

Re: Thrilla In Manila documentary: Why is Muhammed Ali so highly regarded?

He was just a larger then life figure. If anything you should have seen from the footage (racist attacks aside) the guy was very charismatic (my favorites were the comb bit and the press conference after the second fight). Hell he could have talked about cooking green beans and it would have sounded interesting.

On top of that he was a great fighter. He beat Fraizer twice including that last minute knock out of Joe Fraizer. And among others he beat George Foreman who just murdered Frazier.

Either way amazing documentary but your right we should start to look at these guys for what they really are before we go around singing their praises.

gibbsisgod 04-20-2009 08:18 AM

I watched this doc. over the weekend also. I thought it was great. The look on Frasiers face when he was watching the fight was priceless. He said right before they started playing it for him that it was his first time ever seeing it and you could tell.

dmek25 04-20-2009 08:40 AM

good film, if you have the time. said neither one of these guys were the same after that brutal thriller. and good morning giggity

70Chip 04-20-2009 11:24 AM

Ali had the ultimate media personality. Then when he refused to serve his country, his charisma took on the added glow of the political martyr. Howard Cosell and Jim McKay (and a dozen other writers) were now head over heels in love.

The way Joe Frazier was treated is, of course, a tragedy. He was the real street guy, while Ali was the one clowning and posing for the man. You hear some regret from these people now, but at the time they were more than glad to go along for the ride.

redsk1 04-20-2009 11:39 AM

Another good Ali doc, When We Were Kings. More about the Foreman/Ali fight in Africa.

It really makes you miss good heavyweight boxing. We really haven't seen anything good since the late 80's, mid 90's.

Dirtbag59 04-20-2009 05:40 PM

[quote=70Chip;547452]Ali had the ultimate media personality. Then when he refused to serve his country, [B]his charisma took on the added glow of the political martyr[/B]. Howard Cosell and Jim McKay (and a dozen other writers) were now head over heels in love.

The way Joe Frazier was treated is, of course, a tragedy. He was the real street guy, while Ali was the one clowning and posing for the man. You hear some regret from these people now, but at the time they were more than glad to go along for the ride.[/quote]

Lol, that reminds me. [url=http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/12/03/117-political-prisoners/]#117 Political Prisoners « Stuff White People Like[/url]