Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Around The League: Whose Draft Was Most Impressive? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=29541)

GMScud 04-26-2009 09:47 PM

Around The League: Whose Draft Was Most Impressive?

Which team impressed you most with their selections/movement on draft day? Same kind of criteria as the "grading the Skins draft" thread. Consider needs, player projections, and also consider teams that traded up or down and what they gave/received in return.

Of all teams, I'm going to have to tip my hat to the Cincinnati friggin Bengals. Outstanding first four picks. Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Jonathan Luigs. They get two studs on defense, and two very good O-lineman to protect the returning Carson Palmer. IMO they will be one of the most improved teams in the league in 2009.

I'll give the Patriots a close second. To come away with four second rounders and 12 total picks was pretty good.
[B]
One caveat:[/B] Right now people seem to have posting diarrhea, so remember, unless you think the Redskins had the best draft, this is NOT a Redskins thread.

SmootSmack 04-26-2009 09:49 PM

Re: Around The League: Whose Draft Was Most Impressive?

I really like what the Bills and Texans did...and the Giants did ok too

Pocket$ $traight 04-26-2009 09:50 PM

Cincy was surprising. If you count that Philly got J. Peters with one of their first round picks I think they had an outstanding draft. Getting Maclin and that RB is not good news for us...

T.O.Killa 04-26-2009 09:53 PM

First Eagles, then Jets(Simply because of Sanchez), then Bengals, then Chiefs.

Lotus 04-26-2009 09:58 PM

I agree with the Bills and would add the Jaguars. The Jags appear to have really helped themselves upfront...also (grrrrr) the Giants and Iggles seemed to have done well.

GMScud 04-26-2009 10:00 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;551567]Cincy was surprising. If you count that Philly got J. Peters with one of their first round picks I think they had an outstanding draft. Getting Maclin and that RB is not good news for us...[/quote]

You're right. If you consider one of their 1st rd draft picks turned into a beast LT in Peters, then they get Maclin WAY lower than projected, they gave two 5th rounders for a perennial starting CB from a great team (Ellis Hobbs, Pats), not to mention LeShean McCoy, Cornelius Ingram, Macho Harris... Oh yeah, and that 6-5 315 tackle from Oregon.

Sheesh. Putting it on paper and reading it, they did a phenomenal job. They always draft so well, plus they are like $30M under the cap.

skinsfan69 04-26-2009 10:05 PM

I gotta give some props to Cinn. They've got two guys that can step right in and start from day one. They're going to have two stud LB's in Ray M. and Rivers. Smith will be protecting Palmer's backside for the next 10 years. Very well done by the Bungles.

Ruhskins 04-26-2009 10:06 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;551580]I gotta give some props to Cinn. They've got two guys that can step right in and start from day one. They're going to have two stud LB's in Ray M. and Rivers. Smith will be protecting Palmer's backside for the next 10 years. Very well done by the Bungles.[/quote]

Well I hope the Bengals locker room has improved, otherwise I can see Andre Smith straying away.

Lotus 04-26-2009 10:16 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;551581]Well I hope the Bengals locker room has improved, [B]otherwise I can see Andre Smith straying away.[/B][/quote]

Much to the benefit of Cinci restaurants.

Ruhskins 04-26-2009 10:18 PM

[quote=Lotus;551599]Much to the benefit of Cinci restaurants.[/quote]

LOL. :rofl:

Sadly, we could say the same thing about Mike Williams. (wow, I said something negative!)

The Goat 04-26-2009 10:25 PM

Been thinking Cinci all along...thus flat out stole Rey. Still shocked he fell so far and have to wonder if the guy is just really unappealing in person cuz it seemed like after teams interviewed him there wasn't much buz. But I still think he's gonna make almost every team regret they passed on him. Smith was a great pick too. Cinci for sure.

Would have to say Seattle did very well also. Curry is possibly the best talent in the draft and then they grab Unger, tied for top center and a guy who can play guard too. Very good draft there.

Ruhskins 04-26-2009 10:27 PM

I'm sure Cincy will find a way to screw this up though. I do like Seattle's draft as well, they will have a good LB group.

The Goat 04-26-2009 10:29 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;551620]I'm sure Cincy will find a way to screw this up though. I do like Seattle's draft as well, they will have a good LB group.[/quote]

And it created a great opportunity for any team looking to sign one of the best young LBs in the game ;)

GMScud 04-26-2009 10:33 PM

Gotta like what St. Louis did with their first two picks. They get their LT for the next 10-15 years in Jason Smith, and Spagnuolo gets a stud MLB in Laurinaitis to quarterback his defense. Two very nice pieces for a new regime to work with.

Paintrain 04-26-2009 10:37 PM

Cincy got 3 guys with top 15 talent (Smith, Rey, Johnson) but all have question marks. If they play to their talent and not to their weaknesses that will be a great draft. I think Philly and NYG did well also but I was not as over the top for Maclin as everyone else. Dude couldn't run a route if lines were drawn on the field. Oh, wait.