Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Debating with the enemy (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   OH NO! Where will Gitmo go? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=29862)

Hog1 05-20-2009 11:02 AM

OH NO! Where will Gitmo go?

Spend multiple mil to close, and another for the new one........
[url=http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=10391447]Senators reject closing Gitmo prison without plan - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |[/url]

Is it such a great idea to close Gitmo?

saden1 05-20-2009 11:14 AM

Re: OH NO! Where will Gitmo go?

Yes, it should be closed. There are [URL="http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1894373,00.html"]communities in America[/URL] willing to take these guys because it would create jobs and boost their economy. I mean, these guys are stilling going to be in prison not roaming the community...why wouldn't you want them if you live in a depressed community?

jsarno 05-20-2009 03:39 PM

[quote=saden1;558740]Yes, it should be closed. There are [URL="http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1894373,00.html"]communities in America[/URL] willing to take these guys because it would create jobs and boost their economy. I mean, these guys are stilling going to be in prison not roaming the community...why wouldn't you want them if you live in a depressed community?[/quote]

Yes, but the government would have to purchase it and be run by it due to the fact that Montana prohibits out of state prisoners.

Unless Montana changes their law, that nice new facility will be empty for a while. I find that to be odd cause many people have complained there is not enough jails...well, here is an empty one to use...use it. But it's not up to me I guess.

jsarno 05-20-2009 03:39 PM

[quote=Hog1;558720]Spend multiple mil to close, and another for the new one........
[url=http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=10391447]Senators reject closing Gitmo prison without plan - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |[/url]

Is it such a great idea to close Gitmo?[/quote]

Shouldn't Obama focus on more important things????

firstdown 05-20-2009 04:00 PM

[quote=jsarno;558782]shouldn't obama focus on more important things????[/quote]
nooooooo.

jsarno 05-20-2009 04:36 PM

[quote=firstdown;558791]nooooooo.[/quote]

lol.

firstdown 05-20-2009 04:46 PM

I know why not send them to the Blackwater Training Center in NC. I heard they where looking for a few good people to play the role of terrorist to try out their new equipment.

Or we could allow them to work off their time at the Smithfield Food Packing plant.

Trample the Elderly 05-20-2009 05:38 PM

I have a better I idea, how about we shoot them and call it a day?

firstdown 05-20-2009 05:41 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;558807]I have a better I idea, how about we shoot them and call it a day?[/quote]
Well that was kind of my point in sending them to Blackwater.

Missin21 05-20-2009 06:47 PM

[quote=Hog1;558720]

Is it such a great idea to close Gitmo?[/quote]

No not really. And I don't think bringing accused terrorists into the country to imprison them here is smart either.

djnemo65 05-20-2009 08:57 PM

I don't wanna get involved in this, but I have to say that the "no terrorists in my state" argument is the dumbest piece of f'ing retarded tripe I have ever heard. Do you think these people are going to rip off someone's face and escape like Hannibal Lecter? Are they going to coordinate a bombing attack on your kid's high school from solitary? You can debate both the legitimacy and efficacy of black site prisons and places like Gitmo, but the "keep em out of my town" refrain is just a phony political soundbite cooked up to appeal to knuckleheads.

For example, look at this recent dialogue between Senator Reid and a reporter:

REID: I’m saying that the United States Senate, Democrats and Republicans, do not want terrorists to be released in the United States. That’s very clear.

QUESTION: No one’s talking about releasing them. We’re talking about putting them in prison somewhere in the United States.

REID: Can’t put them in prison unless you release them.

QUESTION: Sir, are you going to clarify that a little bit? …

REID: I can’t make it any more clear than the statement I have given to you. We will never allow terrorists to be released in the United States.

QUESTION: But Senator, Senator, it’s not that you’re not being clear when you say you don’t want them released. But could you say — would you be all right with them being transferred to an American prison?

REID: Not in the United States.

Am I missing something here? What is wrong with people!?

Beemnseven 05-20-2009 09:48 PM

[quote=djnemo65;558823]I don't wanna get involved in this, but I have to say that the "no terrorists in my state" argument is the dumbest piece of f'ing retarded tripe I have ever heard. Do you think these people are going to rip off someone's face and escape like Hannibal Lecter? Are they going to coordinate a bombing attack on your kid's high school from solitary? You can debate both the legitimacy and efficacy of black site prisons and places like Gitmo, but the "keep em out of my town" refrain is just a phony political soundbite cooked up to appeal to knuckleheads.

REID: I’m saying that the United States Senate, Democrats and Republicans, do not want terrorists to be released in the United States. That’s very clear.

QUESTION: No one’s talking about releasing them. We’re talking about putting them in prison somewhere in the United States.

REID: I can’t make it any more clear than the statement I have given to you. We will never allow terrorists to be released in the United States.

QUESTION: But Senator, Senator, it’s not that you’re not being clear when you say you don’t want them released. But could you say — would you be all right with them being transferred to an American prison?

Am I missing something here? What is wrong with people!?[/quote]

Yeah, I heard that exchange too. What does he mean by saying we can't transfer them without releasing them? Of course you can. As far as state laws denying out of state prisoners, what about federal prisons? How can a state tell the federal government what prisoners it can and cannot allow in a federal prison?

I never quite understood how this all got started anyway. What was wrong with Guantanamo Bay to begin with? Apart from the alleged prisoner abuse? Just because someone gets smacked around by some guards at a jail doesn't mean the jail should be closed down.

Missin21 05-20-2009 09:56 PM

[quote=djnemo65;558823]

Maybe. I'm not sure I understand the exchange with the senator or why he believes they will be released to be brought to an American prison.

However, the way I see it that there have been countless gang members, drug lords, & mafiosi that have been put in some of our "top notch" prisons (I believe they consider Pelican Bay as one of the best) & yet they still are able to run things from there. John Gotti had to be placed in the highest maximum security prison in the country in solitary confinement because of how much power he wielded. Many top criminals GAIN power from prison, not lose it.

Why someone would think that putting people accused of trying to commit terrorist acts against America in American prisons wouldn't be a bad idea is beyond me. We don't live in a perfect society & not one law put in place today is useful to or for everyone. But keeping people OUT of the country that would like to kill every last one of us (yes, even those who would like to liberate these jerks, they would like to kill them as well~we are ALL infidels & enemies to them...period) seems like a better idea then imprisoning them here where they would more then likely strengthen, rather then rot. There are far too many examples of this happening with criminals with less notoriety in our prisons today & in the past.

Putting them in American prisons is asking for trouble we don't want or need. And regardless, I don't think rolling the dice with our safety like that is smart at all. JMO

steveo395 05-20-2009 10:00 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;558830]Yeah, I heard that exchange too. What does he mean by saying we can't transfer them without releasing them? Of course you can. As far as state laws denying out of state prisoners, what about federal prisons? How can a state tell the federal government what prisoners it can and cannot allow in a federal prison?

I never quite understood how this all got started anyway. What was wrong with Guantanamo Bay to begin with? Apart from the alleged prisoner abuse? Just because someone gets smacked around by some guards at a jail doesn't mean the jail should be closed down.[/quote]
Yea I don't get that either. If you don't want any more torture, just stop doing it. Why do you have to close the prison down altogether just because of what happened in the past. If nobody wants them in the U.S., just leave them in Guantanamo and give them a trial.

Trample the Elderly 05-20-2009 10:04 PM

Perhaps we can outsource Gitmo to Siberia?

GMScud 05-20-2009 10:18 PM

[quote=djnemo65;558823]I don't wanna get involved in this, but I have to say that the "no terrorists in my state" argument is the dumbest piece of f'ing retarded tripe I have ever heard. Do you think these people are going to rip off someone's face and escape like Hannibal Lecter? Are they going to coordinate a bombing attack on your kid's high school from solitary? You can debate both the legitimacy and efficacy of black site prisons and places like Gitmo, but the "keep em out of my town" refrain is just a phony political soundbite cooked up to appeal to knuckleheads.

Reid is a moron. Just like Pelosi and Biden. Think before you speak, people.

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090520/ap_on_go_co/us_reid_s_gaffes]Sen. Reid botches 3 subjects at news conference[/url]

Closing Gitmo is an awful, awful idea. When we let these guys go, they go right back to their terrorist ways.

Hog1 03-07-2011 09:56 PM

Gitmo lives........
[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110308/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_guantanamo]Obama restarts Guantanamo trials - Yahoo! News[/url]

Alvin Walton 03-08-2011 07:25 AM

Cracks me up on how much the chosen one squawked about closing Gitmo as a campaign promise and here we are years later and nothing has changed.
He's still wet behind the ears.

Alvin Walton 03-08-2011 07:27 AM

[quote=firstdown;558809]Well that was kind of my point in sending them to Blackwater.[/quote]

You mean Xe?

12thMan 03-08-2011 01:50 PM

Love how you're not getting involved:)

12thMan 03-08-2011 01:54 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;787956]Cracks me up on how much the chosen one squawked about closing Gitmo as a campaign promise and here we are years later and nothing has changed.
He's still wet behind the ears.[/quote]

Looking at the current field of GOP candidates, I think Donald Trump has the most executive experience:)

firstdown 03-08-2011 02:58 PM

With with our financial issues Donald Trump might not be a bad pick. I wounder what he will do with all the people collecting checks and not working for them. You know that would drive a business man like him crazy.

Daseal 03-09-2011 04:16 PM

I believe what Reid was getting at is the people in Gitmo can not be held in the United States. We have to give them a trial first and be able to show enough evidence to prove they are guilty of a crime -- most of the people held in GITMO could not be charged, let alone convincted, within the United States.

The question to those that want to move them here, are you up for bending the Constitution more than we already are with GITMO? It's a loophole to put it off American soil, it is straight up breaking a constitutional freedom to do it within the borders of the United States.

firstdown 03-09-2011 05:02 PM

Most are held as prisoners of war because they were captured on the battle field. Hard to prosecute them in the US because the only evidence we have is that they where fighting against us.