Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Google Wave...yeah it's awesome (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=29973)

FRPLG 05-29-2009 11:39 AM

Google Wave...yeah it's awesome

Ok tech geeks...

If you haven't seen the demo on this then be prepared to be amazed. This is the future of web communication and is going to transform everything from online collaboration to basic discussion boards like the Path.

[url=http://wave.google.com/]Google Wave Preview[/url] (it's long)

Forget the technical wizardry it took to make this stuff work and focus on the level of innovation and vision it took just to conjure up the ideas for the interfaces. I love it.

saden1 05-29-2009 12:20 PM

Re: Google Wave...yeah it's awesome

...and Microsoft and its ilk wonder why they're losing market share. Viva la Open Source.

p.s. The chubby PM cick is kinda cute.

FRPLG 05-29-2009 02:39 PM

Screw open source (not really but just for this argument's sake). Google just THINKS better than Microsoft. Never in a billion million years does Microsoft have the creative juice to put together a truly innovative product like Wave. It's like Google is just playing a different game.

MTK 05-29-2009 02:41 PM

Google is going to run the world soon.

JoeRedskin 05-29-2009 02:43 PM

can't run the demo at work - just curious, what's does it do and why is it so innovative?

FRPLG 05-29-2009 02:44 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;560536]Google is going to run the world soon.[/quote]

Their problem is almost the oppositie of Microsoft's. While M$ can't think they still runa pretty damn good business. Google does the reverse...they think and innovate damn well but it remains to be seen how well they really run a business. At least over a long haul.

MTK 05-29-2009 02:45 PM

[quote=FRPLG;560540]Their problem is almost the oppositie of Microsoft's. While M$ can't think they still runa pretty damn good business. Google does the reverse...they think and innovate damn well but it remains to be seen how well they really run a business. At least over a long haul.[/quote]

True.

mredskins 05-29-2009 02:45 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;560539]can't run the demo at work - just curious, what's does it do and why is it so innovative?[/quote]

I watched it and I am asking them same thing too. Sorry I am not much of a computer nerd. It does look cool but ground breaking hmmm...

FRPLG 05-29-2009 02:47 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;560539]can't run the demo at work - just curious, what's does it do and why is it so innovative?[/quote]

Long story short...and completely inadequately:

It sort of melds e-mail and IMing together. It really is almost impossible to explain...you'll have to see how it works to understnad how game changing it could be. Plus it allows for actual document collaboration and sharing...real time. Two people can open a document and work on it together and see what the other is doing as they type. All that is just the tip on it too.

SmootSmack 05-29-2009 03:19 PM

"A wave is shared. Any participant can reply anywhere in the message, edit the content and add participants at any point in the process. Then playback lets anyone rewind the wave to see who said what and when."

This is going to make The Warpath so much fun :)

Seriously though, this is really amazing stuff.

EternalEnigma21 05-29-2009 10:25 PM

I bought google stocks (the handful I could afford) at 216/share and people laughed at me. they closed today at 417. I think they're pretty decent at running a business.

GMScud 05-29-2009 10:43 PM

That guy who introduces the presentation looks like he's straight out of Revenge of the Nerds. But the product is sick. Wow.

tryfuhl 06-01-2009 05:16 AM

Yeah it's pretty dope; I didn't watch the whole vid the other day but the biggest concern for me is the indexing and organization of all of this. It basically handles all sorts of communication, but even with search it could be a pain in the ass to navigate/find things.

I'll have to watch more of it when I'm deathly bored.

BDBohnzie 06-01-2009 09:43 AM

This is Google's attempt to take over the Sharepoint market that Microsoft has cornered, and if they can do this for free (Granted, Microsoft does have a free version of Sharepoint and it works very well, we use it here at work) and keep it very simple to use and update/upgrade, Google will have a very good tool on their hands.

hooskins 06-01-2009 10:36 AM

a 90 minute preview? lol f that

HughHog 06-02-2009 02:19 PM

[quote=hooskins;560898]a 90 minute preview? lol f that[/quote]

That's what I said at first, but just watch the first 15 minutes to see how amazing it is

BDBohnzie 06-03-2009 10:27 AM

One of my co-workers said it best when he said they took all of the Google products (Email, Chat, Docs, etc) and put it into one interface. Looks interesting enough, just not sure how feasible it would be for large work environments...

SmootSmack 06-06-2009 07:40 PM

Somewhat off-topic...has anyone tried the new MSN search-engine Bing.com? Any thoughts?