Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/other-sports/)
-   -   Phil Jackson Gets Rodman 2.0: Lakers Sign Artest (http://www.thewarpath.net/other-sports/30379-phil-jackson-gets-rodman-2-0-a.html)

Dirtbag59 07-03-2009 04:16 PM

Phil Jackson Gets Rodman 2.0: Lakers Sign Artest

Interesting development considering the little spat Artest and Bryant had during the playoffs. Deal is for Mid-Level exception.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/211411-artest-goes-hollywood-a-lakers-necessity]Ron Artest Goes Hollywood: A Lakers Necessity | Bleacher Report[/url]

SmootSmack 07-04-2009 10:12 AM

Re: Phil Jackson Gets Rodman 2.0: Lakers Sign Artest

Artest is very underrated. Great move by the Lakers, in my opinion

Monkeydad 07-08-2009 11:57 AM

Artest may have an attitude like Rodman's, but Dennis was a FAR superior player.

SmootSmack 07-08-2009 12:46 PM

[quote=Buster;566693]Artest may have an attitude like Rodman's, but Dennis was a FAR superior player.[/quote]

By what standards is Rodman FAR superior as a player?

dmek25 07-08-2009 05:36 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;565834][B]Artest is very underrated[/B]. Great move by the Lakers, in my opinion[/quote]
i think exactly the opposite( imagine that?) Artest has built his career on being a defensive stopper. the only problem with that is he cant stop anyone. as much as i hate to say it, i would consider Shane Battier a better defensive player. and offensively, Artest is so inconsistent that he is only considered average. and he definitely does not know how to win. now Rodman, he knows what his role was, and how to take care of the dirty work. sure, he was alittle dramatic. but who isn't?

SmootSmack 07-08-2009 05:48 PM

[quote=dmek25;566755]i think exactly the opposite( imagine that?) Artest has built his career on being a defensive stopper. the only problem with that is he cant stop anyone. as much as i hate to say it, i would consider Shane Battier a better defensive player. and offensively, Artest is so inconsistent that he is only considered average. and he definitely does not know how to win. now Rodman, he knows what his role was, and how to take care of the dirty work. sure, he was alittle dramatic. but who isn't?[/quote]

Fair points, I think Artest has a versatility that Rodman never had. In my opinion, his offensive flexibility is under-appreciated and under-utilized. I don't know that Rodman knew what his role was as much as he had other guys (well, Jordan really) to keep him in line and tell Rodman what his role is. Artest I don't think has ever had that, until now.

dmek25 07-08-2009 06:14 PM

well, as the old saying goes, time will tell. he now has one of the premier players in the league to show him the way. he will either learn, and thrive. or crash, and burn. im just not sure he has the personality to defer when needed

GTripp0012 07-08-2009 06:14 PM

Artest is probably better than Rodman, but then again, Rodman was a useless offensive player. Guess it just matters how you perceive Artest's offense.

GTripp0012 07-08-2009 06:14 PM

Didn't Phil draft Artest at the end of his Chicago days?

SmootSmack 07-08-2009 10:12 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;566763]Didn't Phil draft Artest at the end of his Chicago days?[/quote]

I don't think so, I think Artest was there just after Jackson, during the Floyd years

jsarno 07-09-2009 12:28 AM

[quote=Buster;566693]Artest may have an attitude like Rodman's, [/quote]

Rodman makes Artest look like a little girl scout. Artest looks bad to us, but I think we forget how crazy rodman was. Most of us thought Rodman should have lived in a mental facility.

[quote]but Dennis was a FAR superior player.[/quote]

Artest is better. Dennis was a far better defensive player sure, but Artest is light years better on offense, making him better overall. I'd take the better all around player any day, and artest is no slouch on D. I mean, Dennis couldn't even hit free throws. Put that in perspective, we all cringe at Shaq taking free throws, well, shaq hits em at a 53% clip, Rodman, only 58%. Ouch. Rodman was a beast down low though, gotta give him credit for that. And of course he started the EXPLOSION of tattoos in the NBA. He's a trailblazer. haha.

jsarno 07-09-2009 12:29 AM

I really HATE this move. I thought the Celtics put themselves in a good position to win again with Sheed, but this puts the Lakers right back up there...good move by the Zen Master!