Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Permanent diet may equal longer life (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=30439)

GMScud 07-12-2009 05:28 PM

Re: Permanent diet may equal longer life

[quote=Mattyk72;567393]Here's a sample of a typical day:

breakfast:
[B]1 nutrigrain blueberry bar[/B] - 130 calories
2 homemade low fat waffles with a tiny bit of no sugar syrup - 210 calories

lunch:
2 grilled chicken sausage links - 260 calories
steamed mixed veggies (2 servings) - 120 calories

dinner:
1 broiled chicken breast - 213 calories
1 medium bake potato (dry) - 163 calories
1 large mixed greens salad w/cheese and croutons - 200 calories

snacks:
[B]cheez-its[/B] (100 cal pack)
baked tortilla chips with salsa - 150 calories
[B]goldfish crackers[/B] (100 cal pack)
1 mini drumstick ice cream cone - 130 calories

exercise
[B]30 minutes on stair climber[/B] moderate intensity - burned 372 calories

Net calories for the day: 1404

I hear you on the late night snacking. But if you have a snack mid morning, mid afternoon, and another one a few hours after dinner, you shouldn't get those late night cravings. Plus I drink a lot of water, 8 glasses/day at least is a must. And I simply don't allow myself to eat after 8pm. Counting your calories really helps you realize what you're putting into your body.[/quote]

Some of my favorite stuff. I love nutrigrain blueberry bars. I have a hard time just eating one. And I would bathe myself in cheez-its if it was socially acceptable.

For the stair climber, do you use the normal stair stepper, or the actual stairs that rotate (called a [URL="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/d8/77/65/25536775-100x100-0-0_Stairmaster_Stepmill_7000_Pt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shopping.com/-used%2Bstepmill%2Bstair%2Bclimber&usg=__gR-luj68nWNGzXMXTKmsShrW_BE=&h=100&w=100&sz=2&hl=en&start=16&sig2=79wep7Ew_cQiSabnzAsPug&um=1&tbnid=cfY5Tl55teWiJM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstairmaster%2Brotating%2Bstairs%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DYv6%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1&ei=n1RaSvG-PMremQeyvoWfAQ"]stepmill[/URL])? I use the rotating stairs. It's great cardio. I'm drenched after 30 minutes on level 5.

MTK 07-12-2009 06:08 PM

[quote=GMScud;567418]Some of my favorite stuff. I love nutrigrain blueberry bars. I have a hard time just eating one. And I would bathe myself in cheez-its if it was socially acceptable.

For the stair climber, do you use the normal stair stepper, or the actual stairs that rotate (called a [URL="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/d8/77/65/25536775-100x100-0-0_Stairmaster_Stepmill_7000_Pt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shopping.com/-used%2Bstepmill%2Bstair%2Bclimber&usg=__gR-luj68nWNGzXMXTKmsShrW_BE=&h=100&w=100&sz=2&hl=en&start=16&sig2=79wep7Ew_cQiSabnzAsPug&um=1&tbnid=cfY5Tl55teWiJM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstairmaster%2Brotating%2Bstairs%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DYv6%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1&ei=n1RaSvG-PMremQeyvoWfAQ"]stepmill[/URL])? I use the rotating stairs. It's great cardio. I'm drenched after 30 minutes on level 5.[/quote]

I use the regular stair stepper, that thing kicks my ass enough as it is. 30 minutes and I look like someone dumped a bucket of water on me LOL

firstdown 07-12-2009 09:45 PM

Ok, I have to do this. I could not find the info but I'm guessing the Fed. Goverment funded alot of this test over the past 20 years. Did we or who ever spend the money for the testing think that they would have any other out come. Heck, I could have told them that stuff for free.

While on the subject of food I made the best fish (tuna) tacos Friday night that we had to have them again tonight. If anyone wants to know how to make them let me know as its not that hard.

SmootSmack 07-12-2009 10:25 PM

[quote=firstdown;567427]Ok, I have to do this. I could not find the info but I'm guessing the Fed. Goverment funded alot of this test over the past 20 years. Did we or who ever spend the money for the testing think that they would have any other out come. Heck, I could have told them that stuff for free.

While on the subject of food I made the best fish (tuna) tacos Friday night that we had to have them again tonight. If anyone wants to know how to make them let me know as its not that hard.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd like to know. I grilled some tilapia tonight for fish tacos. Pretty basic, but I wouldn't mind hearing your recipe

GMScud 07-12-2009 11:47 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;567431]Yeah, I'd like to know. I grilled some tilapia tonight for fish tacos. Pretty basic, but I wouldn't mind hearing your recipe[/quote]

If you're going to grill fish on an open flame, it better be pretty sturdy- i.e. Wahoo, Swordfish, Tuna. Otherwise, I'd advise baking or pan roasting. You can still cook a delicate fish on the grill, but you better do it in foil. In which case you might as well just use the stove and have more control. Tilapia is good fried, but I would hesitate to grill it. Any issues getting it off the grill or controlling the portions? It tends to fall apart so easily. Best cooked whole (head on, bones in) if anything.

MTK 07-13-2009 09:45 AM

[quote=GMScud;567397]LOL. Actually I usually workout alone, and I'm my own little world with my I-pod. The majority of members at the health club I belong to in Bethesda are either 40+ working professionals, 60+ retirees, and high school kids. So no, I don't grunt or throw weights around. My demographic (30 year old, not married, no kids) is in the minority there. It's far from a meat head gym. :)

I've got a question for folks out there that hasn't been discussed in this thread - What kind of supplements are you taking? By supplements, I mean vitamins, omega-3's, protein, etc etc.

I'm currently taking GNC Mega Men Sport (time release), and omega 3 fish oils. If I leave the house and forget to take them, I can definitely tell throughout the day. After a workout, if I can't have a meal of some sort within 30 minutes or so, I try to have a protein bar or shake. I also have one scoop of [URL="http://www.vibranthealth.us/?p2=/modules/vibranthealth/products.jsp&category_id=86"]Green Vibrance[/URL] every day.[/quote]

I just take a multi-vitamin. I was taking fish oil for a while too and just kinda stopped. Couldn't seem to avoid the "fish burps". I took them after eating with a full glass of water and would still get them. Gross.

I should probably look into other supplements but I'm just not sure of where to start.

firstdown 07-13-2009 09:47 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;567431]Yeah, I'd like to know. I grilled some tilapia tonight for fish tacos. Pretty basic, but I wouldn't mind hearing your recipe[/quote]
For fish tacos I like either tuna or dolphin lightly blackened.
First I chunk up the fish.

I use a large iron skillet but I'm sure any skillet will work. I also do this outside so I don't smoke up the house.

I take the fish chunks and put them into a bag and add the blackening season. This you will need to play around with to get to your tast. I like for each peice to have a light coat. The stuff I use is the best seasoning I have found and will get you the name tonight.

I then get the pan very hot and add a good coat of butter.

I add the fish continually stirring them around as they cook very quick.
I find 5 to 7 min. at the most for the center to be nice and pink but its a fine line from done to over cooked.

My wife dices up tomatos and onions puts them in a bowl and then squezes fresh lime over them and lets it set for about an hour.

We then have shreaded cabbage (I know I'm not a fan of cabbage but it works in this case), cheese, and sour cream and make them to your tast.

Its an easy meal to make and the toughest thing about the meal is learning how to season and blacken the chuncks of fish. You do not want the chunks too big and I almost cut them in strips around 1/2 to 3/4 thick.
I would also suggest to season a chunk and cook one to see how it cooks and tast and repeat this a few times until you find the right combo of seasoning and cooking.

SmootSmack 07-13-2009 10:02 AM

[quote=GMScud;567442]If you're going to grill fish on an open flame, it better be pretty sturdy- i.e. Wahoo, Swordfish, Tuna. Otherwise, I'd advise baking or pan roasting. You can still cook a delicate fish on the grill, but you better do it in foil. In which case you might as well just use the stove and have more control. Tilapia is good fried, but I would hesitate to grill it. Any issues getting it off the grill or controlling the portions? It tends to fall apart so easily. Best cooked whole (head on, bones in) if anything.[/quote]

It wasn't my top choice to grill but it's all we had and we wanted to grill. It was a bit flaky but sturdy enough. You really just had to keep an eye on it and grill like 3 minutes max on each side. And yeah I put it in a foil.

MTK 07-13-2009 10:15 AM

It's feeling very SBF in here this morning

mredskins 07-13-2009 10:19 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;567509]It's feeling very SBF in here this morning[/quote]

OMG! I was thinking the same thing. RIP SBF.

SmootSmack 07-13-2009 10:55 AM

You're a jerk! A nazi jerk!...I, on the other hand, am a football man.

firstdown 07-13-2009 11:29 AM

Ok it took me a few minutes to figure this out because I was thinking of SSS and the remembered SBF. He seemed to time those threads right before lunch and my stomach would start to rumble reading them.

jdlea 07-13-2009 12:21 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;567406]I'm 6'3 and was 246 when I started doing this, now I'm 223. I'd like to get down to 200 eventually.[/quote]

That's pretty much exactly where I am. I'm 6'3 and I was 252. I was hardcore working out and watching diet, but last holidays through me off. I'm at around 225 now, I was down to 223 at my lowest, still trying to work down toward 200 or so.

I lift 3 times a week and I do cardio 4-5 days a week and I've noticed that since I started lifting again (I hadn't in a few years due to a bad shoulder) my body has changed tremendously, my weight loss may have slowed, but I'm definitely adding muscle and getting more defined.

MTK 07-13-2009 01:59 PM

The holidays are always a bitch aren't they? lol

Between all the food and the good seasonal brews forget about it. I'm always good for a 10 pound gain.

Beemnseven 07-13-2009 02:05 PM

Matty, another question about the diet you're on -- I guess you have to totally swear off fast food, right? If you're famished, and you don't have any food with you, where do you go and what do you get?

Fast food completely destroys my waistline and my wallet.