Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Madden 10 reviews (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=31041)

MTK 08-08-2009 10:42 AM

Madden 10 reviews

looking good

[url=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1011937p1.html]IGN: Madden NFL 10 Review[/url]

BleedBurgundy 08-08-2009 10:54 AM

Re: Madden 10 reviews

Maurice Jones-Drew was tweeting that the new Madden sucked.

After reading that review, I'm kind of mixed about it. The gameplay sounds improved, but they still have a lot of work to do it seems.

DynamiteRave 08-09-2009 02:12 AM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;573707][B]Maurice Jones-Drew was tweeting that the new Madden sucked.[/B]

After reading that review, I'm kind of mixed about it. The gameplay sounds improved, but they still have a lot of work to do it seems.[/quote]

Well. Someone's gotta piss in the cheerios.

Smooter 08-09-2009 11:32 AM

I'm excited for sure. I think I'll trust IGN's opinion on a video game over Jones-Drew any day.

MTK 08-09-2009 01:03 PM

The demo has me excited for it, can't wait for Friday.

mooby 08-09-2009 05:03 PM

I preordered it at Gamestop last Friday and I've been playing the demo all week long. I'm loving it. I struggled early on but I've been getting back into the flow of things and it's been getting better for me since. Playing the demo has gotten me psyched for next Friday, I can't wait to start up franchise mode again and really get down to business. Pretty much the only thing I'm not excited about after reading IGN's review is the NFLN style presentation with the spotty commentary from the cast in the game, but it's not a big deal because i plan on turning that off anyways. It's improved leaps and bounds from the last time I played Madden a couple years ago and that's good enough for me.

Warpath 08-09-2009 05:42 PM

Saw an ad on tv that if you order Sports Illustrated you get madden free. Either way your paying $49. For those that dont have to have it on friday maybe this helps you maybe not. [url]www.sitvoffer.com[/url]

Smooter 08-09-2009 06:41 PM

[quote=Warpath;573940]Saw an ad on tv that if you order Sports Illustrated you get madden free. Either way your paying $49. For those that dont have to have it on friday maybe this helps you maybe not. [url]www.sitvoffer.com[/url][/quote]

Wow that's a good deal. Unfortunately for me my OCD doesn't allow me to wait after the release date.

Dirtbag59 08-10-2009 02:33 AM

I hadn't been buying into the hype until this week as I've had more time to get acquainted to the demo. It's amazing how well they've made this game and for the first time in a while I think they've succeded in backing up all the hype. The cutscenes alone are amazing and the presentation is at the very least going to set the bar for sports games though weather other games follow suit we'll see.

One thing I like is how they seemed to have finally fixed the passing game. Defenders don't seem to make unrealistic swats anymore. I think the best part is that they now seem to finally have incorporated proper over the shoulder passes. Before you had to rely on the rocket catch in 08 (which I didn't play). Then they made the rocket catch useless in 09 and for a while it seemed like only Plaxico was able to catch a deep ball.

I must admit I still have some reservations about the new rating system especially considering how much time I've spent with FIFA 09 and Cristiano Ronaldo (for those who don't know Ronaldo is extremely difficult to stop and he's easily the most abused player in the game) but now those reservations are slowly eroding away. I think it clicked for me when I was playing with Brandon Jacobs and after I got by a linebacker, thanks to the help of Chris Snee, I was able to run over a safety. I don't think that would have happened on All-Pro in previous installments. Instead I would have gotten a forward lean, shoe string tackle. At that point I realized the ratings spread made a lot more sense. However weather or not everyone insist on using Manning or Brady 90% of the time during online play has yet to be seen.

The funny thing though is people have been complaining forever about Madden and how great 2K5 was but the funny thing is I see a huge amount of 2K5 in this game (keep in mind I still hold a slight grudge against EA for their exclusivity agreement). I still think though that NHL 10 will take the crown for best sports game but this game is possibly going to go down as one of the best football games ever made. Either way I'm pre-ordering this game tomorrow so I can play a game with 5 minute quarters instead of 1 minute quarters.

[YT]zCxZIfWBDCc[/YT]

MTK 08-14-2009 08:57 AM

F me it's going to be a long day. I've got a copy reserved at Game Stop I'll be picking up at lunch, but I won't be able to play until later tonight after dinner and the gym.

KLHJ2 08-14-2009 09:01 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;575738]F me it's going to be a long day. I've got a copy reserved at Game Stop I'll be picking up at lunch, but I won't be able to play until later tonight after dinner and the gym.[/quote]

Same here, but I don't think that I am going to be able to pick it up until tomorrow. I am going to the Orioles game tonight.

over the mountain 08-14-2009 01:11 PM

madden comes out today? ohhhh yeahhhh!!!!

mredskins 08-14-2009 01:29 PM

Just got it at lunch, staring at box on my desk, watching clock not move. =(

MTK 08-14-2009 01:41 PM

[quote=mredskins;575919]Just got it at lunch, staring at box on my desk, watching clock not move. =([/quote]

same here :(

Smooter 08-14-2009 01:53 PM

Walked into Wal Mart today around 6am and had no problems getting a copy. Managed to get a game in at lunch and I'm very impressed with the graphics. I think the player models could be better. Zorn doesn't look like Zorn and Tony Romo is just plain goofy looking. (Maybe it is right on) Boy does Haynesworth tear up the line though. I cant wait to get home tonight.

MTK 08-14-2009 02:04 PM

Funny in the demo Mike Tomlin looked spot on. Oh well as long as it plays well I don't care what the coaches look like.

KLHJ2 08-14-2009 02:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;575927]same here :([/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I just joined the club. I waited in line for almost an hour at lunch. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]When it came down to it I realized that I was not going to be happy until I picked it up. Just the thought of tossing and turning in bed tonight over a “being Madden-less” nightmare instigated me to go ahead and get it. I can play it when I get home from the Oriole’s game tonight.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I am tempted to pul the cellophane off of the package very slowly right now.[/FONT][/COLOR]

mredskins 08-14-2009 02:30 PM

Oh my cellophane is off. What is up with all the waitng and maybe not getting a game. Strolled right into Target and they had a ton and the kid was like yeah I have another box full of them behind the counter.

KLHJ2 08-14-2009 02:36 PM

[quote=mredskins;575947]Oh my cellophane is off. What is up with all the waitng and maybe not getting a game. Strolled right into Target and they had a ton and the kid was like yeah I have another box full of them behind the counter.[/quote]

Where do you live? The Gamestop that I had mine pre-ordered at had a line snaked out the door and 3 stores down when I left.

mredskins 08-14-2009 02:48 PM

We have had this talk before with some Gamestop nerds, I guess in some parts of the country, say SD, they just don't ship games there. Why Iwas confused with all this reserving of games as well.

I live 15 minutes out of B-more!

MTK 08-14-2009 03:05 PM

Mine is still in the wrapper, didn't want to torture myself any further by opening it LOL

KLHJ2 08-14-2009 03:08 PM

[quote=mredskins;575962]We have had this talk before with some Gamestop nerds, I guess in some parts of the country, say SD, they just don't ship games there. Why Iwas confused with all this reserving of games as well.

I live 15 minutes out of B-more![/quote]

I live in Silver Spring, but everybody and their mamma was out there at lunch time. Had I not pre ordered it I probably could have picked it up elsewhere with no line. 2 Years ago I got 08 from target first thing in the morning...no lines or anything. I was working nights then though, so everybody was on their way to work while I was on the way home. Next year I think that I will use a similar stategy to that of 08. Hell, they sell Madden in 7-11 around here. Standing in line over a game that every store seems to have now days is just silly.

MTK 08-14-2009 03:10 PM

The only reason I reserved this year was to play the extended demo, otherwise I would have just gone to Target or something.

Dirtbag59 08-14-2009 04:17 PM

[quote=Angry;575943][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I just joined the club. [B]I waited in line for almost an hour at lunch. [/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]When it came down to it I realized that I was not going to be happy until I picked it up. Just the thought of tossing and turning in bed tonight over a “being Madden-less” nightmare instigated me to go ahead and get it. I can play it when I get home from the Oriole’s game tonight.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I am tempted to pul the cellophane off of the package very slowly right now.[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

Really? I just went into my local gamestop and picked up my copy with no wait. It really shouldn't be that hard to fine. Anyway great game but I need to get a 16:9 TV.

Edit: Just finished my first game online and now I'm convinced that most people that play Madden are idiots when it comes to the game of football. I was beating the Falcons as the Redskins 28-9. People continually go for it on fourth down in the most ridiculous situations. The guy I just played went for it on fourth and 21 in his own territory (courtesy of an Orakpo sack). Between this and last year I can only conclude that many people that play Madden, as with many sports games, try to exploit instead of playing realistically.

Also somewhat dumb move on EA's part but they have videos in the lobby for online play (which is pretty cool) and they're showing 360 footage when I have the PS3 version of the game.

As far as playing with the Redskins heres a few quick notes:

- Fatigue plays a huge part in this game so ie don't give Portis the ball 10,000 times in a row. Learn to settle for 5,000 times in a row. I also tried to give Haynesworth a few rest (one or two series off) and by the 2nd quarter I had numerous D-Line packages courtesy of the quick sub option.

- Injuries are way to frequent in this game. It'll probably be one of the fist things to get patched up but this is another reason why you should be careful about feeding players the rock. FIFA had a similar problem last year in that referees carded way to much. Shortly after the problem was patched.

- Devin Thomas is awesome in this game. If I didn't know any better I'd say he was easily a high 80's player. As we all know though Mr. Thomas finds himself in the low 60's.

- Learn to play with the D-Line especially if you suck in coverage like me.

KLHJ2 08-15-2009 02:05 AM

Well, I have played a couple of games and found that the game is more realistic than it has been in recent years. It still has room for improvement, but it is a sweet ass game.

Oh, ditto to the above.

hagams 08-15-2009 07:28 AM

I just can't get over the graphics. I have it for Xbox, and it's looks amazing on my plasma with the Bose pumping out sound. Even my wife noticed the difference, and she doesn't understand why I have to buy the same game every year. This year I was really hesitant about getting it, but I'm glad I did.

Daseal 08-15-2009 08:31 AM

Has anyone experimented with franchise mode yet? Is it any better? To be honest, I prefer the team building part of madden more than anything else. I normally just sim the games~

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-15-2009 09:00 AM

hey D Bag whats ur PSN Name maybe we can get some games in

over the mountain 08-15-2009 11:00 AM

my bday comes a few days after madden usually releases and someone always secretly plans to buy me a copy so instead of getting a copy first day i have to wait to be polite.

what sucks is that i got rear ended hard last night coming home from work, had to go to hospital and am now bedridden/takin it easy. i should have asked the dr for a prescription for madden stat.

go skins!!

MTK 08-15-2009 01:27 PM

I'm liking the game so far but I can't run the ball for shit. I'm averaging 3 yards a pop with Portis. I've tried running inside, outside, and out of every formation possible but can't get anything consistent going.

saden1 08-15-2009 01:42 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;576293]I'm liking the game so far but I can't run the ball for shit. I'm averaging 3 yards a pop with Portis. I've tried running inside, outside, and out of every formation possible but can't get anything consistent going.[/quote]

Perhaps you're in need of training camp to improve your hand-eye coordination?

Are there any noticeable bugs in the game? How annoying is Collinsworthless?

Dirtbag59 08-15-2009 03:29 PM

It's alright

SC Skins Fan 08-15-2009 03:29 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;576293]I'm liking the game so far but I can't run the ball for shit. I'm averaging 3 yards a pop with Portis. I've tried running inside, outside, and out of every formation possible but can't get anything consistent going.[/quote]

I agree. I could break some stuff off in "Pro," but on "All-Pro" I am getting shut down in the run. I do think the game is big step up over last year.

MTK 08-15-2009 06:05 PM

I'm just not getting any holes to run through. I regularly get hit at the line before I even get going.

MTK 08-15-2009 06:13 PM

Graphics wise though the game is gorgeous.

I like how they have the throwing motions down for all the starting QBs, nice touch.

mooby 08-16-2009 07:24 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;576334]Graphics wise though the game is gorgeous.

I like how they have the throwing motions down for all the starting QBs, nice touch.[/quote]

Agreed on both counts. I love how they've got JC's throwing motion and stance down, it makes it feel so much more realistic.

My big gripe with the game was the "my skill" thing I did. I hadn't played Madden since '08 came out so I was slightly rusty but I didn't do too good on the skill thing that determines your skill level.

But for some reason when it came to the pass defense it rated me as a mid-All Pro. The only reason for that was because I was pretty successful at using my d-line guy to get pressure on the qb and force a bad throw. But as a result of it scoring me high in the games I've been getting lit up on pass defense despite getting pressure on the qb. I couldn't win my first two preseason games in franchise mode because it made Joe Flacco and Roethlisberger look like Tom Brady, gunslingin' the ball all over the place. I can't get picks or sacks or fumbles either, not to mention on the rare occasion I do force a fumble I'm usually too late on playing that fumble pile minigame they got so it usually gives the ball to the other team.

Another thing I was looking forward to was seeing if I could edit packages in the playbook to make certain players play in certain packages. In years past lets say I wanted to make Marcus Washington play end when my nickel d package was on the field well I could do a subsitute and he would play at left end or w/e whenever I ran that package. I was looking forward to taking Orakpo and putting him as the LDE when I wasn't running the 4-3 so he would have a better shot at more sacks when he wasn't on the field as a linebacker but you can't do that apparantly. Maybe they reorganized it or something but I couldn't find it which is disappointing.

MTK 08-16-2009 07:37 PM

I've been messing around with the sliders and I can finally run the ball and avg more than 2 or 3 yards a carry.

MTK 08-16-2009 07:38 PM

[quote=mooby;576500]Agreed on both counts. I love how they've got JC's throwing motion and stance down, it makes it feel so much more realistic.

My big gripe with the game was the "my skill" thing I did. I hadn't played Madden since '08 came out so I was slightly rusty but I didn't do too good on the skill thing that determines your skill level.

But for some reason when it came to the pass defense it rated me as a mid-All Pro. The only reason for that was because I was pretty successful at using my d-line guy to get pressure on the qb and force a bad throw. But as a result of it scoring me high in the games I've been getting lit up on pass defense despite getting pressure on the qb. I couldn't win my first two preseason games in franchise mode because it made Joe Flacco and Roethlisberger look like Tom Brady, gunslingin' the ball all over the place. I can't get picks or sacks or fumbles either, not to mention on the rare occasion I do force a fumble I'm usually too late on playing that fumble pile minigame they got so it usually gives the ball to the other team.

Another thing I was looking forward to was seeing if I could edit packages in the playbook to make certain players play in certain packages. In years past lets say I wanted to make Marcus Washington play end when my nickel d package was on the field well I could do a subsitute and he would play at left end or w/e whenever I ran that package. [B]I was looking forward to taking Orakpo and putting him as the LDE when I wasn't running the 4-3[/B] so he would have a better shot at more sacks when he wasn't on the field as a linebacker but you can't do that apparantly. Maybe they reorganized it or something but I couldn't find it which is disappointing.[/quote]

Think you can still do that, check out the in-game subs.

mooby 08-16-2009 07:41 PM

The only other thing I don't like about it is having to pay like 10 extra bucks if you want your franchise players to do the maximum progression, or if you want to have a good training staff, etc. I mean we already had to pay 60 bucks for the game, now we have to pay 10 more if we want to receive the best improvements in franchise mode? Franchise mode is my bread and butter so that's why I'm kinda upset about that.

Edit: Thanks for the tip Matty, I'm gonna check that out.

mooby 08-16-2009 08:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;576505]Think you can still do that, check out the in-game subs.[/quote]

I was looking but I can't find it. I went under the coaching tab, but it's not in audibles or defensive assignments. I could assign him to guard a specific player if I wanted to but unless I'm mistaken you can't sub him in on certain packages.