Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Stallworth suspended for the entire season (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/31170-stallworth-suspended-for-the-entire-season.html)

Mattyk 08-13-2009 10:17 AM

Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Breaking news

[url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ijDA5bgxiHlTvS_r-SSjskS1Tq1wD9A21T282]The Associated Press: APNewsAlert[/url]

ArtMonkDrillz 08-13-2009 10:22 AM

Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4396130"]And without pay.[/URL]

I just hope he's not automatically cleared to play next season. I think there needs to be a lengthy review before he hits the field again.

Monkeydad 08-13-2009 10:25 AM

Not surprising or undeserved.

FRPLG 08-13-2009 10:27 AM

Boom comes the hammer. Maybe the league is finally taking DUI seriously. Our society needs to follow suit.

Although I do have some question as to how much the alcohol was a factor in this case I still think this is fair. These guys get paid too much to ever have to drive themselves drunk.

Trample the Elderly 08-13-2009 11:29 AM

If I had killed someone I'd be in jail.

Lotus 08-13-2009 12:05 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;575094]If I had killed someone I'd be in jail.[/quote]

So would I. Stallworth was essentially able to buy his way out of jail through a major contribution to the Reyes family. Not getting paid for a year in the wake of this is really going to hurt his wallet. So he is paying a price beyond a year lost to his football career, he's not getting off scot free. But it is a case where money opens doors that are closed to the less affluent.

CRedskinsRule 08-13-2009 12:08 PM

So will Cleveland be able to get back any of the signing bonus? If so, is that gonna impact Stallworth's ability to pay the court and family settlements?

skinsfan69 08-13-2009 12:28 PM

If he went to trial he might have gotten off w/out any time. I heard that in Fla. the state has to prove that the boos was a factor in causing the accident. From all the evidence that I've read about the guy walked in front of the car. Not saying Stallworth was right cause he wasn't. No need to be driving after doing shots and smoking weed. He has no one to blame but himself.

BringBackJoeT 08-13-2009 12:53 PM

[quote=FRPLG;575054]Boom comes the hammer. Maybe the league is finally taking DUI seriously. Our society needs to follow suit.

Although I do have some question as to how much the alcohol was a factor in this case I still think this is fair. These guys get paid too much to ever have to drive themselves drunk.[/quote]

Agreed on all counts, including the suggestion that there may have been mitigating circumstances in this case (unless I'm misinterpreting your comment).

Regardless, this is ultimately what a personal conduct policy is all about. That the court presiding over his criminal proceeding considers his debt to society paid does not automatically mean that he is now fit to don an NFL uniform.

A fair decision by the commissioner.

ArtMonkDrillz 08-13-2009 01:01 PM

[quote=skindeep;575127]He should be glad it wasn't in Texas. My Uncle got 10 yrs for a hit-n-run without bodily inury and that was a plea bargin. He was facing 25 to 30. That just shows that the all mighty dollar always has the last say. Just think if M.Vick lived in Florida the authorities might have assisted him in digging the ditches for those dogs. Possibly with a banquet for Pedigree's Man of The Year award.

24 days in the county. Thats just enough time for the joint he blazed before turning himself in,to get out of his system. If the term Kid Gloves every applied.[/quote]My mom's cousin got a year for hitting a woman who was jay-walking in FL even though he wasn't drinking and he stopped to try to help her. In the end he was still found guilty of vehicular manslaughter for whatever reason. In fairness, I don't know all the details of the case but everything I've heard from my family makes it seem like it was really a freak accident.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-13-2009 01:02 PM

[quote=skindeep;575127]He should be glad it wasn't in Texas. My Uncle got 10 yrs for a hit-n-run without bodily inury and that was a plea bargin. He was facing 25 to 30. That just shows that the all mighty dollar always has the last say. Just think if M.Vick lived in Florida the authorities might have assisted him in digging the ditches for those dogs. Possibly with a banquet for Pedigree's Man of The Year award.

24 days in the county. Thats just enough time for the joint he blazed before turning himself in,to get out of his system. If the term Kid Gloves every applied.[/quote]

Not trying to downplay the incident, but Stallworth didn't hit and run. If he weren't drinking, than he'd most likely be totally innocent. Either way, it was reaaaalllly stupid, and he gets what he deserves. Although, I agree the punishment is light.

EDIT: just saw AMD's post ... maybe he wouldn't have been innocent if sober.

FRPLG 08-13-2009 01:13 PM

Money had nothing to do with his plea deal. That is not in any way the criminal justice system works. Civil settlements don't give prospectors leeway to not pursue proper charges. They pled it out because they were unsure if they could get a conviction on the major charges since there was a good chance they couldn't prove the alcohol was a contributing factor. Now I am only speaking from a pure by-the-law standpoint. From a moral standpoint I think DUI ought to carry a mandatory 1 year prison sentence and suspension of license for 5 years, I don't think we take drunk driving nearly serious enough in our society.

stu_nna 08-13-2009 01:14 PM

Im glad the NFL didnt just slap him on the wrist.