Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Haynesworth Likes Line's Potential (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=31267)

stu_nna 08-18-2009 07:04 AM

Haynesworth Likes Line's Potential

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/haynesworth-likes-lines-potent.html?wprss=redskinsinsider]Redskins Insider - Haynesworth Likes Line's Potential[/url]

Dirtbag59 08-18-2009 07:07 AM

Re: Haynesworth Likes Line's Potential

Haven't read it yet but please tell me he's talking about the O-Line.

Edit: Crap, I knew the D-line was going to be good I just wanted to hear something about the O-line.

stu_nna 08-18-2009 07:14 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;576883]Haven't read it yet but please tell me he's talking about the O-Line.

Edit: Crap, I knew the D-line was going to be good I just wanted to hear something about the O-line.[/quote]
lmao, sorry no references to the O-line

diehard 08-18-2009 10:04 AM

Antonio Dixon could be the real deal. Montgomery doesn't seem to play as big as he is. Golston is another pass rushing DT.

NYCskinfan82 08-18-2009 10:13 AM

The word is Dixon is working his tail off.

JoeRedskin 08-18-2009 10:24 AM

If Dixon keeps showing up in games, either Montgomery or Golston is gone. My bet would be Montgomery.

Meks 08-18-2009 10:44 AM

i like dixon alot, i think he has more potential then monty at this point, i'd hate to see him go but his performance has really just hit a stalling point, and dixon is putting the effort forth and its begining to show.

Trample the Elderly 08-18-2009 10:50 AM

Dixon = Training camp super-hero?

Meks 08-18-2009 10:59 AM

one can only hope.

i'd like to see daniels gone honestly. give the younger guys the playing time we need better edge pressure. and im not confident in daniels off the edge.

Schneed10 08-18-2009 11:33 AM

I know we had some offensive line discussion going around here somewhere, but this fits with the defensive line too, so I'm going to put it here rather than starting a new thread.

One of the big questions early on in camp related to the offensive line's horrendous performance. Then they seemed to hold up reasonably well against the Ravens, albeit without Terrell Suggs.

Did the line get better as camp went along, or is our defensive line really that beastly? I think it might be the latter. Griffin as your 2nd DT is downright disruptive - he's going underappreciated this camp due to Haynesworth's arrival. And I saw tape of the Ravens game, Daniels looks gigantic.

Andre Carter and Orakpo will have pass rushing opportunities playing with these guys, because these 3 man-beasts (Haynesworth, Griffin, Daniels) are going to be so tough against the run that opposing offenses should face numerous 2nd & 3rd and longs.

I'm still very concerned about right tackle. And we ran really poorly against the Ravens. But the starting line held up in pass protection pretty well against the Ravens. I still need to see more, but the question is starting to get answered for me: I think the early struggles in camp had more to do with our D line being freakish than it did with our offensive line being horrible.

CRedskinsRule 08-18-2009 11:40 AM

If our DLine is anything special, than we should see Big Ben on his Back throughout the first quarter. There line was pretty soft(hehe) last year. And, vice versa, their first quarter D should again test our OLine, and I hope they bring Palamaolu ALOT.

Schneed10 08-18-2009 01:03 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;576968]If our DLine is anything special, than we should see Big Ben on his Back throughout the first quarter. There line was pretty soft(hehe) last year. And, vice versa, their first quarter D should again test our OLine, and [B]I hope they bring Palamaolu ALOT[/B].[/quote]

I dunno if I hope that, because it could mean a Campbell injury. But I get what you're saying, it would be nice to see them pass a significant test.

JoeRedskin 08-18-2009 01:28 PM

[quote=Schneed10;576964]... [B]Griffin as your 2nd DT is downright disruptive - he's going underappreciated this camp due to Haynesworth's arrival.[/B] And I saw tape of the Ravens game, Daniels looks gigantic.

Andre Carter and Orakpo will have pass rushing opportunities playing with these guys, because these 3 man-beasts (Haynesworth, Griffin, Daniels) are going to be so tough against the run that opposing offenses should face numerous 2nd & 3rd and longs.

I'm still very concerned about right tackle. And we ran really poorly against the Ravens. But the starting line held up in pass protection pretty well against the Ravens. I still need to see more, but the question is starting to get answered for me: [B]I think the early struggles in camp had more to do with our D line being freakish than it did with our offensive line being horrible.[/B][/quote]

I agree with your assessment of Griffin. To me, Griffin has always been one of the Santana Moss of the defense in that he can beat almost any 1 on 1 but, w/out help, can be neutralized. Now, with Haynesworth next to him, Griffin is going to be nasty inside.

Maybe he has slowed down, [I]but[/I] - if he can play up to his past level and avoid injuries (granted, both are big "ifs"), Griffin could appear unstoppable. In my mind, Griffin/Haynesworth could end up being the best DT combo we have [I]ever[/I] had.

As for the O-Line's struggles in camp, I hope you are right on both counts.

Warren85Ellard 08-18-2009 02:04 PM

It seems like we have a good surplus of D-Linemen. Is there a chance that we could trade Montgomery or Golston for some o-line depth? I couldn't imagine cutting either of those two guys. They're too good to give up for nothing.

Lotus 08-18-2009 02:34 PM

[quote=Warren85Ellard;577034]It seems like we have a good surplus of D-Linemen. [B]Is there a chance that we could trade Montgomery or Golston for some o-line depth?[/B] I couldn't imagine cutting either of those two guys. They're too good to give up for nothing.[/quote]

That's my kind of thinking.

Schneed10 08-18-2009 03:43 PM

[quote=Lotus;577040]That's my kind of thinking.[/quote]

What, Madden Franchise Mode thinking?

Easier said than done. Monty and Golston are solid, but wouldn't bring much in return at the RT spot (where we need the help most).

JoeRedskin 08-18-2009 03:50 PM

Not sure what, if any, trade value Golston or Monty have. [I]Maybe[/I] a low round draft pick (i.e. 6 or 7). Solid finds as depth for us but nothing special to other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the waive wire is littered with similar types of guys in Sept.

MTK 08-18-2009 04:26 PM

Nobody is going to trade for Golston or Monty, c'mon. They are a dime a dozen type of guys. Solid DT rotation types but nothing more.

over the mountain 08-18-2009 04:33 PM

i'd like to keep monty and golston and not disturb our only position of depth. both griffin and haynesworth are suspect to injury and missing games. while dixon has looked great, playing with effort and attitude, id rather have monty or golston come off the bench this year.

plus who the hell is gonna trade anything but a 7th rounder for those guys?

go skins!!

Hail to the Redskins 08-18-2009 05:35 PM

I have a question...

Why has Levi Jones not been signed by anyone, especially US?? Anyone have a clue?? Leprosy?? SARS?? How is he a worse option than Mike Williams??

Oh, and Daniels is the EPITOME of Greg Blache's defensive philosophy. He will always be on the field with Blache around.

The philosophy is run protect FIRST & SECOND, then anything after is a bonus. The good news for us is that Daniels is a GREAT run-stopper. There is NO WAY I'd dump him!

The Goat 08-18-2009 05:58 PM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;577119]I have a question...

Why has Levi Jones not been signed by anyone, especially US?? Anyone have a clue?? Leprosy?? SARS?? How is he a worse option than Mike Williams??

Oh, and Daniels is the EPITOME of Greg Blache's defensive philosophy. He will always be on the field with Blache around.

The philosophy is run protect FIRST & SECOND, then anything after is a bonus. The good news for us is that Daniels is a GREAT run-stopper. There is NO WAY I'd dump him![/quote]

My guess is Jones is biding his time, waiting to see who gets desperate and decides offers some serious cash. I would still like to see us spend whatever we can to get him on the roster but I'm not holding my breath.

Totally agree about Daniels fit in the Blache system. Last year probably was a freak accident and he stuffs the sh*t out of anyone who tries to run right on us (which was a bit of a weakness last year especially when Evans sat). Honestly I won't be the least bit surprised if big Phil comes out swingin and just dominates oponents for as long as he's healthy...and maybe he stays healthy for a long time. Phat Al sure seemed impressed by Daniels, saying Tenn doesn't have a DE like him and acknowledging the man's insane build. Daniels is a MAN!!!

Hail to the Redskins 08-18-2009 06:33 PM

I agree with the idea that our line will REALLY have a chance to STUFF the run... with Albert, Phillip, Cornelius all pretty GREAT at run-stopping, then adding Carter, Rak, armon, Alexander, whoever at other DE, we will really hold our ground for LBs to make plays on the running game!

but... I'm worried about our LBs covering the pass. Something is telling me Tight Ends are going to tear us up a little this year.

I am not a Rocky McIntosh fan at all & I'm calling now that by week 3 people are going to be blasting the boards with "GET ORAKPO AT DE & OUT OF LB!"

He's got the potential to be a great LB as well as DE... but he is going from not covering TEs that much in college to covering the BEST TIGHT ENDS IN THE WORLD EVERY WEEK while trying to learn how to play the position AND play in a new system. That's a HUGE task.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but early in the Ravens game, Flacco rolled right and Todd Heap had at least 4 yards on Rak for an easy TD, but for whatever reason, they had 2 other receivers in the same exact area that were covered so Flacco threw it out of the back of the endzone.... just an example of what could happen with Kevin Boss week 1.

GTripp0012 08-18-2009 06:37 PM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;577138]I agree with the idea that our line will REALLY have a chance to STUFF the run... with Albert, Phillip, Cornelius all pretty GREAT at run-stopping, then adding Carter, Rak, armon, Alexander, whoever at other DE, we will really hold our ground for LBs to make plays on the running game!

but... I'm worried about our LBs covering the pass. Something is telling me Tight Ends are going to tear us up a little this year.

I am not a Rocky McIntosh fan at all & I'm calling now that by week 3 people are going to be blasting the boards with "GET ORAKPO AT DE & OUT OF LB!"

He's got the potential to be a great LB as well as DE... but he is going from not covering TEs that much in college to covering the BEST TIGHT ENDS IN THE WORLD EVERY WEEK while trying to learn how to play the position AND play in a new system. That's a HUGE task.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but early in the Ravens game, Flacco rolled right and Todd Heap had at least 4 yards on Rak for an easy TD, but for whatever reason, they had 2 other receivers in the same exact area that were covered so Flacco threw it out of the back of the endzone.... just an example of what could happen with Kevin Boss week 1.[/quote]I'd say that more than half the time, Tight Ends are going to be Chris Horton's responsibility. If he blitzes, then it's Orakpo or Fletcher.

CRedskinsRule 08-18-2009 06:42 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;577139]I'd say that more than half the time, Tight Ends are going to be Chris Horton's responsibility. If he blitzes, then it's Orakpo or Fletcher.[/quote]

That makes sense, especially since Orakpo's whole training regimen should be "see the qb, sack the qb", I know he will have to do other stuff, but it would be just wrong not to have him on a qb hunt nearly every down.

Any computer game designers here able to make an app , Love to play on the phone where he launches like a guided missile. Maybe QB Bowling(elf bowling only Orakpo Style :))

Lotus 08-18-2009 06:58 PM

[quote=Schneed10;577054]What, Madden Franchise Mode thinking?

Easier said than done. Monty and Golston are solid, but wouldn't bring much in return at the RT spot (where we need the help most).[/quote]

I didn't mean trading just Monty straight up. You are right that he would not get much on his own. But in a package with, say, a draft choice and a spare safety (we have a few of those, too), we could perhaps get a solid O-line player. Not spectacular, just solid.

Dirtbag59 10-04-2009 10:45 PM

How do you guys think Haynesworth has done this year?

SFREDSKIN 10-04-2009 10:55 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;602581]How do you guys think Haynesworth has done this year?[/quote]

He's done ok, definitely not playing like a $100 million dollar man should.

12thMan 10-04-2009 10:59 PM

Not even close. He didn't have a tackle today. I won't start busting the guys balls, but we didn't bring him here just to draw double coverage. To hell with that, especially if you're not getting sacks from anyone else.

The Goat 10-04-2009 11:56 PM

Well in fairness big Al was hurt today and this isn't a guy who plays well hurt historically...the FO obviously knew that when they threw the cash at him. But yeah in the big picture he's not as impressive as I'd hoped. I don't break down games but I don't think a see him consistently taking on two lineman and opening up gaps for his teammates. In fact once in a while I see him scamper down the line following the RB and then he seems to be pretty easily blocked by a lineman, misses the play and falls down. I'm like "what the hell was that is he really hurt this time?"