Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32035)

mooby 09-20-2009 04:20 PM

Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury)

Okay so I know this is a little premature but I think we should talk about the offensive line depth now that Randy Thomas has a triceps injury. Does anybody feel comfortable with our depth if any one of our starters is down for an extended period of time? Lets say R. Thomas tore his triceps and is out for the year, or even anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months. Who thinks our depth is good enough to be a long term replacement (at least for the season)? Personally I don't. From what I saw Montgomery didn't do too bad but then again it wasn't like he was going up against the Giants d-line. Not to mention it was clear JZ didn't want to run towards the right with Montgomery and Heyer over there.

So if Thomas is out for an extended period of time what is our options? Should we trade possibly a higher draft pick for a long term replacement for Thomas? Because I for one believe if his season is over then he will have played his final down for the Redskins. We can't keep relying on an oft-injured, 34 yr old guard to stay healthy for the entire season. It's time to get younger and potentially better on the o-line and if Thomas is gone then we need to get a permanent replacement rather than waiting until the end of the season.

But yeah just some thoughts on the situation. Even if it turns out to be minor who still isn't comfortable with our depth? It says plenty that JZ deactivated 3 o-linemen before the game started and decided to go with two backups (one a guy who hasn't played a regular season game in like 4 seasons, and the other a guy who didn't have any real game experience before today).

Dirtbag59 09-20-2009 04:21 PM

Re: Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury)

What worries me is why Montgomery was put in instead of Rhinehart. I mean maybe Rhinehart wasn't active due to the fact that Monty plays Center but at the same time why isn't he playing?

SFREDSKIN 09-20-2009 04:26 PM

I'll be honest with you if that's the case, let it be it. This guy is always hurt (more than Springs ever was). We should have drafted OG, OL,C, but didn't. We should just move on with younger players and get them the experience. If Thomas is out for the year, then he should retire.

ChickenMonkey 09-20-2009 04:27 PM

Sounds like its time to clear some room on the roster for a veteran
Guard (Kendall Simmons & Pete Kendall) are still FA,s and should come real cheap!!!

Miller101 09-20-2009 04:37 PM

If we get Pete Kendall back here to play right guard.....................I'll start dancing! Because, That montgomery guy scares me

DynamiteRave 09-20-2009 04:40 PM

This just in: Redskins report says Randy Thomas is indeed out for the season with a torn tricep.

mooby 09-20-2009 04:53 PM

Yeah CSN just reported that as well. Dirtbag makes a good point about Rinehart, he's in his second season now and he's still not good enough to be activated for the game? Who would you rather have in there, Rinehart or Montgomery?

53Fan 09-20-2009 05:04 PM

Maybe Montgomery was activated because he plays center AND guard. Didn't we have a backup tackle active? If so, that covers the line w/out Rinehart.

GusFrerotte 09-20-2009 05:09 PM

This whole discussion about Reinhart tells me our depth sucks. We should have had one of our two top picks the last several seasons be linemen, or at least two linemen every draft. What did we do a few years ago? We drafted 3 RB's, a position already well stocked. We should have drafted 3 linemen that year. I bet one or two could have panned out for us.

Worldwide 09-20-2009 05:11 PM

Losing RT will be a huge loss for you guys. Hopefully it doesn't have a domino effect.

CultBrennan59 09-20-2009 05:13 PM

here comes pete kendall, or Rhinehart as our starter at RG

wilsowilso 09-20-2009 05:13 PM

[quote=Worldwide;592045]Losing RT will be a huge loss for you guys. Hopefully it doesn't have a domino effect.[/quote]

Not a huge loss at all. RT was already pretty broken down already.

HBnotBlades 09-20-2009 05:14 PM

[quote=53Fan;592040]Maybe Montgomery was activated because he plays center AND guard. Didn't we have a backup tackle active? If so, that covers the line w/out Rinehart.[/quote]

Exactly. We usually only have two backup linemen active, a tackle and a guard/center. In a pinch we could also bring Lorenzo Alexander to play guard.

I think we'll see what Rinehart has next week, hopefully he surprises.

Worldwide 09-20-2009 05:15 PM

[quote=wilsowilso;592049]Not a huge loss at all. RT was already pretty broken down already.[/quote]

I know. I mean as in things start to fall apart afterwards with other players.

over the mountain 09-20-2009 05:15 PM

[quote=Miller101;592014]If we get Pete Kendall back here to play right guard.....................I'll start dancing! Because, That montgomery guy scares me[/quote]

agreed. i think it was portis who said kendall was the smartest player hes ever played with. i love me some pete kendall but not as much as my man RAY FREAKIN BROWN!!!! bring the beast back at age 43!! im not even jokin