Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN: Riggins calling out Zorn; and now Snyder (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32120)

MTK 11-05-2009 08:55 AM

Re: ESPN: Riggins and a Redskins Legend calling out Zorn

[quote]And I think any time an older player criticizes or says anything about his former team, unless he's throwing Bon Mots at them, that all of a sudden you get a, 'What's he griping at?' type of thing. Maybe that's the case. [I]But truthfully, I do have an ax to grind and I just realized I have been a little bit disingenuous[/I].[/quote]

Anyone know what Riggo is talking about here exactly?

CRedskinsRule 11-05-2009 09:08 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;620638]Anyone know what Riggo is talking about here exactly?[/quote]

I don't know, but probably how his radio show ended.

JoeRedskin 11-05-2009 09:09 AM

Possibly the fact that he got fired? Fits in with his claim that Snyder's all about money.

Lotus 11-05-2009 09:36 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;620638]Anyone know what Riggo is talking about here exactly?[/quote]

At the end of the interview he said this: "The ax to grind is that people need to know if you are going to go to these games and support this team, that money goes in this person's pocket. And you know what? Bad guys shouldn't be enriched."

Perhaps the "disingenuous" part is that [I]he feels[/I] he kept his mouth shut too long.

celts32 11-05-2009 10:04 AM

I don't get the title...isn't Riggins a Redskins legend also?

sportscurmudgeon 11-05-2009 10:23 AM

Matty:

Indeed some wins will quiet some of the criticism and the venom directed toward the FO and the owner. However, some evidence of a change in the way they do business would also quiet some of that criticism even before those wins show up on the board.

A lot of the frustration that fans are voicing this season deals with the fact that the FO is treating the fans as if fans have not been watching how the team has done its businessfor the last decade. Cut the Four Tops here:

[B][INDENT]It's the same old song ...[/INDENT][/B]

Riggins admits he has an ax to grind in this matter. Maybe he is trying to be the "voice of the fan" (noble indeed) or maybe he is still angry that Danny Boy axed Riggo's radio gig here in DC (not so noble indeed). Whatever his motive(s), I doubt that John Riggins is the only person with ties to the Redskins' organization who thinks that Danny Boy is a "less that totally wonderful human being".

Give Bobby Mitchell some truth serum and listen to what he might have to say on this matter...

SmootSmack 11-05-2009 11:14 AM

Re: ESPN: Riggins calling out Zorn; and now Snyder

Riggo tends to use words all the time that he probably doesn't even know what they mean. So who knows if he had any idea what he was saying. But if he did, I think he was referring to, and he's said in the past, he was a big supporter of Snyder early on always coming to his defense. But not no more.

Is Snyder some sort of teddy bear? Not from most accounts I've heard. Is he Pol Pot? Absolutely not, he's a decent man responsible for a billion dollar company. It can't all be unicorns and rainbows, tough decisions have to be made sometimes. Riggins was out of line making accusations of Snyder being unethical and having a dark heart. Good for Collinsworth to call him out on it and say there's a difference between being a bad person and a bad football person.

As for the fans going to the games and the money going into Snyder's pockets, well there are hundreds of stadium employees (ushers, event security, concession stand workers, etc) that get paid to based on people going to the game.

CultBrennan59 11-05-2009 11:33 AM

I had a dream last night that Snyder was going to jail for doing illegal business work. He apologized to all the fans and announced he was going to sell the team.

It was one of the best dreams I've ever had. If only dreams could come true.

skinsfan69 11-05-2009 11:34 AM

Riggo does look like a bitter ex employee. No question about it. But this isn't something new. I've heard numerous stories about Snyder being an asshole. I'm sure some aren't true but I know some are. We've already seen the way he's treated some of the coaches here. He's probably miserable to work for. But he has done some nice things for charity, including starting one for ST's daughter which I belive he donated $500,000. I would also say that our beloved former owner Jack Kent Cooke had some bad things said about him too.

BleedBurgundy 11-05-2009 12:26 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;620712]Riggo tends to use words all the time that he probably doesn't even know what they mean. So who knows if he had any idea what he was saying. But if he did, I think he was referring to, and he's said in the past, he was a big supporter of Snyder early on always coming to his defense. But not no more.

Is Snyder some sort of teddy bear? Not from most accounts I've heard. Is he Pol Pot? Absolutely not, he's a decent man responsible for a billion dollar company. It can't all be unicorns and rainbows, tough decisions have to be made sometimes. [B]Riggins was out of line making accusations of Snyder being unethical and having a dark heart. Good for Collinsworth to call him out on it and say there's a difference between being a bad person and a bad football person.[/B]

As for the fans going to the games and the money going into Snyder's pockets, well there are hundreds of stadium employees (ushers, event security, concession stand workers, etc) that get paid to based on people going to the game.[/quote]

Agreed. When I read the transcript, I couldn't help but feel Riggo is a bit disconnected from what being a "dark hearted person" truly means. Someone fires your ass, doesn't make them a bad person. Seems kind of shallow to me.

hooskins 11-05-2009 12:53 PM

Clearly a personal thing here, but again that does not mean it is wrong.

Longtimefan 11-05-2009 01:51 PM

There are times when it would seem as though Riggins' opinions are somewhat distorted or exaggrated. I don't know if he has an ax to grind but he did say Snyder is a bad man. I don't think Snyder is a bad man but I do think he has misplaced priorities when it comes to how to run a footbal team.

Hog1 11-05-2009 01:55 PM

While I have other issues with G Blache, he did have something intelligent to say about the Riggo deal.
"I have been coming in here every day for six years. I have yet to see Riggins"

skinsfan_nn 11-05-2009 01:57 PM

Blache breaks his silence. Now if we can break this losing streak!

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4626258]Greg Blache, Washington Redskins defensive coordinator says enough Snyder bashing - ESPN[/url]

hooskins 11-05-2009 02:03 PM

I still cant believe he said Snyder's heart is dark...lol that is a pretty intense thing to say.