Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game Preview: Redskins @ Lions (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32181)

Spence 09-25-2009 03:18 PM

Game Preview: Redskins @ Lions

[QUOTE][B]Who[/B]: Washington Redskins @ Detroit Lions
[B]What[/B]: Game 3 of the 2009 regular season
[B]When[/B]: Sunday, September 27 at 1 PM ET
[B]Where[/B]: Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan

[B][U]When Detroit Has the Ball[/U][/B]

The Lions were able to run for over 120 yards last week against a stout Vikings defense, so establishing a ground game to control the clock and protect their rookie QB will be a top priority for Detroit. TB [B]Kevin Smith[/B] is a tough runner between the tackles who can get yards after the cutback so the Redskins should see a steady dose of that all day. The Redskins need to limit the Lions on first down, forcing Detroit to turn to [B]Matt Stafford[/B] in obvious passing situations. That's when the Redskins will have a chance for sacks and turnovers. DT [B]Albert Haynesworth[/B] and DT [B]Cornelius Griffin[/B] are playing well so far this season and running between the tackles on the Redskins won't be easy.[/QUOTE][URL="http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/09/game-preview.html"]Read it all[/URL].

SBXVII 09-25-2009 03:30 PM

Re: Game Preview: Redskins @ Lions

I added this to the Alridge thread but some probably don't care to go there anymore so I'll add it here. CP is questionable for Sun. I presume he will play but I bet his roll will be limited. ...

[url=http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Portis-questionable-with-bone-spurs-61477467.html]Portis questionable with bone spurs | Washington Examiner[/url]

Spence 09-25-2009 03:43 PM

[quote=SBXVII;595395]I added this to the Alridge thread but some probably don't care to go there anymore so I'll add it here. CP is questionable for Sun. I presume he will play but I bet his roll will be limited. ...

[url=http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Portis-questionable-with-bone-spurs-61477467.html]Portis questionable with bone spurs | Washington Examiner[/url][/quote]
I mention Portis being questionable in the preview and suggest that Betts and Aldridge will take the carries if Portis cannot. If Aldridge is active on Sunday, I think the Skins will use him.

SmootSmack 09-25-2009 03:53 PM

They better use Alridge. He's got skills no one else on the team has.

FRPLG 09-25-2009 04:08 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;595402]They better use Alridge. He's got skills no one else on the team has.[/quote]

Fumbling?

dmek25 09-25-2009 04:08 PM

i don't know about that. Betts can fumble with the best of them:)

Stacks42 09-25-2009 04:19 PM

so can Sellers

SmootSmack 09-25-2009 04:21 PM

[quote=FRPLG;595407]Fumbling?[/quote]

I hate you :)

jrsz24 09-25-2009 04:24 PM

Betts and Portis split carries. Both run to the left about 10 times each. Redskins win 17-10.

SBXVII 09-25-2009 04:42 PM

[quote=FRPLG;595407]Fumbling?[/quote]

Wow. I can't say anything. Your personal feelings toward Alridge are like mine toward Rock. So, I guess I'll just not say a thing. :)

an23dy 09-25-2009 04:48 PM

[quote=SBXVII;595395]I added this to the Alridge thread but some probably don't care to go there anymore so I'll add it here. CP is questionable for Sun. I presume he will play but I bet his roll will be limited. ...

[url=http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Portis-questionable-with-bone-spurs-61477467.html]Portis questionable with bone spurs | Washington Examiner[/url][/quote]

Bone spurs can be serious. I played basketball with a guy that had to deal with bone spurs. He dealt with it for a year and could barely walk at times. Then he had surgery, but he was never the same player that he was when he first came in before the bone spurs started bothering him. This makes me nervous.

KI Skins Fan 09-25-2009 05:43 PM

Spence, your preview was brutal! You seem to be fed up with this team. I hope you haven’t gotten caught up in the mob mentality of some of the fans at FedEx Field. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Redskins Nation so ready to get out the pitchforks and torches – after a win, at that!

Look at this stuff:

[I]The Lions should load up against the run, trying to make the Redskins one dimensional and force them to the air, where they haven't been able to make big plays for...years.

Anthony Aldridge, a speed burner who can go all the way or cough up the rock at any time.

Jason Campbell played well last week, but the only receiver who was open and not dropping the ball was TE Chris Cooley.

The Redskins don't have the skill or discipline to work their way down the field patiently for touchdowns so taking away the big play works.

Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas must do what they have never done -- play like a real starting wide receiver. If one can do that, this game should be a blowout. If, as usual, they fail to show up and do much, the game should be relatively close.

The Redskins are ripe for a mauling, but the Lions are not the team to do it. They don't have the talent or experience.[/I]

Whew! I can’t imagine how rough things could get if the Redskins were to lose to Detroit.

PennSkinsFan 09-25-2009 06:14 PM

[quote=KI Skins Fan;595446]Spence, your preview was brutal! You seem to be fed up with this team. I hope you haven’t gotten caught up in the mob mentality of some of the fans at FedEx Field. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Redskins Nation so ready to get out the pitchforks and torches – after a win, at that!

Look at this stuff:

[I]The Lions should load up against the run, trying to make the Redskins one dimensional and force them to the air, where they haven't been able to make big plays for...years.

Anthony Aldridge, a speed burner who can go all the way or cough up the rock at any time.

Jason Campbell played well last week, but the only receiver who was open and not dropping the ball was TE Chris Cooley.

The Redskins don't have the skill or discipline to work their way down the field patiently for touchdowns so taking away the big play works.

Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas must do what they have never done -- play like a real starting wide receiver. If one can do that, this game should be a blowout. If, as usual, they fail to show up and do much, the game should be relatively close.

The Redskins are ripe for a mauling, but the Lions are not the team to do it. They don't have the talent or experience.[/I]

Whew! I can’t imagine how rough things could get if the Redskins were to lose to Detroit.[/quote]

Was there anything wrong in those statements though? I think the statement about working their way down the field is a bit off, but that can be truthful if down the field was replaced with red zone. Other than that, the rest of the statement have validity to them. The first one if the God's honest truth. Many teams that do beat us figure that one out by loading up to stop Portis and forcing the Redskins to throw while doubling up Moss.

GTripp0012 09-25-2009 07:49 PM

[quote=PennSkinsFan;595451]Was there anything wrong in those statements though? I think the statement about working their way down the field is a bit off, but that can be truthful if down the field was replaced with red zone. Other than that, the rest of the statement have validity to them. The first one if the God's honest truth. Many teams that do beat us figure that one out by[B] loading up to stop Portis and forcing the Redskins to throw while doubling up Moss.[/B][/quote]Nobody can do both of these things without playing 12 guys on the field.

KI Skins Fan 09-25-2009 07:53 PM

[quote=PennSkinsFan;595451]Was there anything wrong in those statements though? I think the statement about working their way down the field is a bit off, but that can be truthful if down the field was replaced with red zone. Other than that, the rest of the statement have validity to them. The first one if the God's honest truth. Many teams that do beat us figure that one out by loading up to stop Portis and forcing the Redskins to throw while doubling up Moss.[/quote]

I thought it was a bit harsh.