Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has the game changed? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32243)

jamf 09-28-2009 07:38 PM

Has the game changed?

In previous years( Decades...), The good teams could run the ball down your throat.

There have always been passing teams ( Houston Run and Shoot ) but when it came down to December and January football, The successful teams were the ones that could run ball first and pass to maintain some balance.

Looking at the dominant teams now, I can't help but think it's turned into a passing league.
Cornerbacks can no longer play a true press coverage.
Quarterbacks draw atleast 2 roughing the passer calls a game.
Why not throw it 40 times a game and make 4 big plays.

Look at the previous Superbowl teams:
Patriots
Steelers
Giants
Cardinals

Only the Giants are a run first team and still they have the ability to throw it 40 times a game.

Is it time to adjust to a pass happy offense and take advantage of the new rules protecting QBs and WRs or is the old Smashmouth football strategy the best way to go?

Daseal 09-28-2009 07:57 PM

Re: Has the game changed?

The league has constantly been adjusting rules to benefit the offense, especially the passing offense. Big pass plays are exciting, fun, and sell tickets. For a few years now the NFL has been a pass to run league. Running is still an important part of football, but throwing is your bread and butter.

tryfuhl 09-28-2009 07:58 PM

[quote=Daseal;598824]The league has constantly been adjusting rules to benefit the offense, especially the passing offense. Big pass plays are exciting, fun, and sell tickets. For a few years now the NFL has been a pass to run league. Running is still an important part of football, but throwing is your bread and butter.[/quote]
Unless you're Minnesota.

roth74va 09-28-2009 09:38 PM

Its definately a passing league now, Im sure the stats would back that up as well. It used to be you could win with a strong running game and a good defense. It seems that all the good teams can throw the ball these days.

SmootSmack 09-28-2009 10:34 PM

Let's see what our future President/Head Coach has to say

[QUOTE]"The game has changed," Cowher said. "The rules have changed. I think right now, I hate to say this, but the running game is a complement. It's not the foundation that it once was. You look at the last three AFC teams that were in the Super Bowl, that's Pittsburgh, New England and Indianapolis. They're all passing teams. The running game is a complement."[/QUOTE]

[url=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/62285592.html]Fired-up Deacon Jones sacks Pack in speech to Rams - JSOnline[/url]

dgack 09-28-2009 10:54 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;598826]Unless you're Minnesota.[/quote]

Remind me how they pulled out victory this week again? :)

Longtimefan 09-29-2009 12:05 AM

The teams that have good runners still use them effectively, but the game has changed to more of a passing game because of the big play possibility. It's difficult anymore to go eighty yds. in 12/14 plays and score. Much has to do with individual team personnel, you do what your particular team does best based on your players.

skinsguy 09-29-2009 09:00 AM

The game has changed into more of a passing oriented game, and I think that takes away from what football is all about. Take a look at arena football...strictly a passing game but it fizzled out. I think if they keep screwing with the rules, they are going to make the game way to ridiculous to watch!

I kind of like how football was back in the 70's and 80's. Big emphasis on a strong running attack, corners being able to play the receivers more tightly, linebackers and Defensive linemen not having to be so afraid of getting flagged for doing what their purpose is...to knock the heck out of the quarterback! That, is football! The game today is become way to finesse!

Green1 09-29-2009 09:15 AM

Zorn just needs to decide whether to be a running or passing team.

Longtimefan 09-29-2009 09:23 AM

[quote=skinsguy;599156]The game has changed into more of a passing oriented game, and I think that takes away from what football is all about. Take a look at arena football...strictly a passing game but it fizzled out. I think if they keep screwing with the rules, they are going to make the game way to ridiculous to watch!

I kind of like how football was back in the 70's and 80's. Big emphasis on a strong running attack, corners being able to play the receivers more tightly, linebackers and Defensive linemen not having to be so afraid of getting flagged for doing what their purpose is...to knock the heck out of the quarterback! That, is football! The game today is become way to finesse![/quote]

You make good points, and I have often felt the same way. The type game you speak of obviously became too boreing for the viewers. In an effort to make the game more exciting, score more points, enhance the ratings, the game has strayed so far from it's origional format old timers hardly recognize it anymore. It's all about creating more interest, gain more viewers and fans, and of course last but far from least, make more money.

irish 09-29-2009 11:54 AM

Teams used to run to set up the pass now they pass to set up the run.

coggs 09-29-2009 12:11 PM

I disagree that Pittsburgh is a pass first team, think they are more balanced and rely mainly on their D.

I do think the league has changed for passing. The rules have changed to make it tougher on DBacks, although they finally got rid of that force out rule. The only time the rules do not benefit receivers is when a receiver makes a diving catch. Any hint that the ball even grazed the ground, and it is an incomplete pass. I think offenses need to be balanced, and need to make adjustments. The first 2 weeks, the Skins and Cowboys pretty much sold out to stop the Giants running game, so Eli went to work. This week, the Bucs dropped back to limit the passing, so the Giants ran the ball for over 200 yards. As a fan I love it, especially since it makes it tougher on the fantasy football geeks who can't properly judge whether the Giants will try to run the ball more or pass more in a given week.

Ruhskins 09-29-2009 12:42 PM

[quote=coggs;599270]I disagree that Pittsburgh is a pass first team, think they are more balanced and rely mainly on their D.

I do think the league has changed for passing. The rules have changed to make it tougher on DBacks, although they finally got rid of that force out rule. The only time the rules do not benefit receivers is when a receiver makes a diving catch. Any hint that the ball even grazed the ground, and it is an incomplete pass. I think offenses need to be balanced, and need to make adjustments. The first 2 weeks, the Skins and Cowboys pretty much sold out to stop the Giants running game, so Eli went to work. This week, the Bucs dropped back to limit the passing, so the Giants ran the ball for over 200 yards. As a fan I love it, especially since it makes it tougher on the fantasy football geeks who can't properly judge whether the Giants will try to run the ball more or pass more in a given week.[/quote]

I think the Giants are one of the few top teams that runs the ball well...the Vikes may be a top team this year, but in the past, the likes of New England and Indianapolis have become a pass first team.

Paintrain 09-29-2009 12:53 PM

[quote=coggs;599270][B]I disagree that Pittsburgh is a pass first team, think they are more balanced and rely mainly on their D.[/B]

I do think the league has changed for passing. The rules have changed to make it tougher on DBacks, although they finally got rid of that force out rule. The only time the rules do not benefit receivers is when a receiver makes a diving catch. Any hint that the ball even grazed the ground, and it is an incomplete pass. I think offenses need to be balanced, and need to make adjustments. The first 2 weeks, the Skins and Cowboys pretty much sold out to stop the Giants running game, so Eli went to work. This week, the Bucs dropped back to limit the passing, so the Giants ran the ball for over 200 yards. As a fan I love it, especially since it makes it tougher on the fantasy football geeks who can't properly judge whether the Giants will try to run the ball more or pass more in a given week.[/quote]
Last season Pittsburgh had a 55:45 pass:run ratio.

Of the playoff teams from last season only Tennessee (48:52) Carolina (46:54), Baltimore (44:56) and Atlanta (45:55) had a pass:run ratio slanted to the running game and two of those teams had rookie QB.

The only other team in the league that didn't throw more than they ran was Oakland at 50:50. It's clearly a passing league now, no question.

KLHJ2 09-29-2009 01:01 PM

[quote=Paintrain;599304]Last season Pittsburgh had a 55:45 pass:run ratio.

Of the playoff teams from last season only Tennessee (48:52) Carolina (46:54), Baltimore (44:56) and Atlanta (45:55) had a pass:run ratio slanted to the running game and two of those teams had rookie QB.

The only other team in the league that didn't throw more than they ran was Oakland at 50:50. It's clearly a passing league now, no question.[/quote]

I didn't realize that Oakland was so balanced. Yet they still cannot win.

One quick question about simple math though. Does 10 win Talent -10 win Coaching= 0-16 Season? At what point does subtraction become addition? :)