Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoke Signals: The Mike Holmgren rumors get louder (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32292)

Spence 09-30-2009 10:17 AM

Smoke Signals: The Mike Holmgren rumors get louder

The Mike Holmgren rumors and a lot more in today's edition of Smoke Signals. [URL="http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/09/smoke-signals-the-mike-holmgren-rumors-get-louder.html"]Read it now[/URL].

franklinhimself 09-30-2009 11:23 AM

Re: Smoke Signals: The Mike Holmgren rumors get louder

I'll be pretty pissed off if we let the Cowboys get Holmgren. I think it makes too much sense for Holmgren to come to DC.

Yes, it would be a sticky situation to have Holmgren- wanting to coach, come in overtake the job of his protege in Zorn. If Holmgren comes to DC it's either a FO position, or a HC position in which he keeps Zorn probably as his OC/QB coach, then Zorn can really focus on the offense. I just don't know if Zorn and his ego would go through his old boss coming in and stealing his show. He seems intelligent enough though to realize he's not doing the best job if the Skins finish less than .500 this season.

skinsfaninok 09-30-2009 11:32 AM

I would rather have gruden or shanahan , but holmgren would be a great upgrade over zorny

Dirtbag59 09-30-2009 11:49 AM

At this point bring in anyone who knows that you can't win with decrepit old lineman. Right now we need a bigger center, a pulling guard, and a run blocking RT that can hold his own in the passing game. What we have on the right side right now is a smaller center, a mauler, and a good pass blocking RT that struggles in the running game.

We also need to start using Orakpo as a DE yesterday. Plus we need to look at how GW was using Landry during the second half of his rookie year and determine if Landry's fall from the face of the earth is related more to his fundamentals or the scheme.

At the very least Holmgren will draft OL. He drafted two O-lineman in the first round from 1998-2002 and during his tenure with the Seahawks the team drafted 3 OL in the first round.

Still I would love to get a GM and a guy like Holmgren running the team.

SmootSmack 09-30-2009 11:52 AM

I wouldn't discount Cleveland and Buffalo as options for Holmgren.

Regardless, are we really that much better off with Holmgren as GM and head coach? I'm not sure I see that.

If anything maybe just bring him back as a GM or Team President.

skinsfan69 09-30-2009 11:57 AM

So football isn't important in Green Bay??? They've got some of the most educated football fans in the NFL. They live sleep eat and breath football up there. But I think Holmgren is what this team needs. Now if we could get him as our coach and get rid of Vinny then we're on our way!

MTK 09-30-2009 11:59 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;599899]I wouldn't discount Cleveland and Buffalo as options for Holmgren.

Regardless, are we really that much better off with Holmgren as GM and head coach? I'm not sure I see that.

If anything maybe just bring him back as a GM or Team President.[/quote]

I agree, one or the other. He almost got himself fired in Seattle when he had the GM/HC dual roles.

Dirtbag59 09-30-2009 12:03 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;599899]I wouldn't discount Cleveland and Buffalo as options for Holmgren.

Actually in looking at a quick rundown of Holmgren's picks a lot of them weren't so bad. Thanks to Holmgren the team brought in Darrell Jackson, Matt Hasselbeck, Koren Robinson, Steve Hutchinson, Floyd Womack, Rocky Bernard, Ken Lucas, Heath Evans, Alex Bannister, and Ahman Green (though he was obviously traded). I'll be the first to admit his first two years sucked at picking players but his last two actually helped set the stage for a Super Bowl run.

[/quote]

But but....Cleveland haz Mangenius.

FRPLG 09-30-2009 12:03 PM

Well he basically lost GM privileges in Seattle right? That's not a good sign.

FRPLG 09-30-2009 12:05 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;599906]Actually in looking at a quick rundown of Holmgren's picks a lot of them weren't so bad. Thanks to Holmgren the team brought in Darrell Jackson, Matt Hasselbeck, Koren Robinson, Steve Hutchinson, Floyd Womack, Rocky Bernard, Ken Lucas, Heath Evans, Alex Bannister, and Ahman Green (though he was obviously traded). I'll be the first to admit his first two years sucked at picking players but his last two actually helped set the stage for a Super Bowl run.[/quote]

It is so much more than drafting though. I'd argue our selection of talent hasn't been poor anyways. Perhaps our lack of focus on the lines is misguided but nothing about Holmgren says he focuses on the lines all that much either. He seems like a more lateral move to me.

12thMan 09-30-2009 12:06 PM

I don't think Gruden is the right fit here..and besides he's pretty much won with established teams who were "close". I'm not sure how close we are.

If they brought Holmgren in, I wouldn't mind seeing Zorn stay. But you're right Matty, it has to be one or the other with Holmgren. Not GM and coach.

SmootSmack 09-30-2009 12:10 PM

Here's a good timeline of Holmgren's time as GM in Seattle

[url=http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/Holmgren%20GM%20Timeline.htm]TIMELINE: HOLMGREN AS GM (1999-2002)[/url]

Dirtbag59 09-30-2009 12:13 PM

[quote=FRPLG;599909]It is so much more than drafting though. I'd argue our selection of talent hasn't been poor anyways. Perhaps our lack of focus on the lines is misguided but nothing about Holmgren says he focuses on the lines all that much either. He seems like a more lateral move to me.[/quote]

I counted 8 OL and 7 DL drafted by the Seahawks from 1998-2002, the same years that Holmgren served as GM. Thats a little over 1 per year.

If we go back to the Redskins since 2004 we find 3 OL and 5 DL selected by the Redskins leading to an average of less then 1 per year, in fact it's hovering near .5 lineman drafted per year when you split up the different sides of the ball. I know no one is arguing that the Redskins draft a bunch of OL but I definately see Holmgren's track record as an improvement. Plus the crazy thing is while Holmgren was GM the Seahawks kept all their picks.

Keep in mind I still want a real GM to work with Holmgren but at the same time Holmgren serving as GM isn't the end of the world.

SmootSmack 09-30-2009 12:16 PM

Yeah but what about serving as both GM and coach? His last three years in that dual role the Seahawks had two losing seasons and missed the playoffs all three years.

SmootSmack 09-30-2009 12:18 PM

I'd gladly take Holmgren over Shanahan though if we're talking GMs.

I'm not worried that Holmgren is going to spend a 3rd round pick on a Maurice Clarett