Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where are Kelly & Thomas? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32419)

dmvskinzfan08 10-05-2009 01:36 PM

Where are Kelly & Thomas?

I remember at the beginning of the season. All the football experts and analysts were saying a key to the Redskins season was one of the 2nd round pick receivers stepping up. At first the front runner was Thomas. The reports were that he worked with JC through out the off season to get better and more prepared for the season. Ironically, Kelly took over the second WR spot after hardly playing last year. Saying that, Kelly still hasn't showed all this ball snatching potential he was touted for in the off season. In preseason Marko really shined. Some say it was just preseason and that it doesn't translate to the regular season. But it seems that Kelly and Thomas have been no existent. I think that the coaching staff has really lost confidence in them. [I]As well as JC[/I].

On the pass that was intended for Kelly that ended up being a INT. I didn't see proper positioning and efffort in him going up for the ball. He went for it at an awkward angle and allowed a smaller DB force him to the sidelines before the play on the ball. This guy is 6'3 and didn't extend properly for a jump ball effort. That INT was on JC. But when you look at taller receivers like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss. They go up and snatch the ball from smaller DBs. My thoughts were that was the reason we drafted him. I have also heard that he is not getting separation from the defenders.

[B]Is it premature to think that Mitchell should be bumped up on the depth chart since he has a nack for catching touchdowns and also has more speed for separation?[/B]

We wonder why our offense is looking the same as it has last year. Most of the blame has been on JC. But shouldn't the 2nd year WRs be held accountable also? They have been no existent. So basically my whole point is that we are back to where we were before we drafted them. [B]Moss Cooley[/B] [B]and[/B] [B]ARE as our options[/B]!! On that note Fred Davis has been non-existent also. So where do you think we should go from here. Please chime in...

SFREDSKIN 10-05-2009 01:40 PM

re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

This is the same thing I've been posting about. Don't forget Davis. I've been saying bench either Thomas or Kelly and start Marko Mitchell.

skinsfaninok 10-05-2009 01:44 PM

MARKO MITCHELL is the answer please start him!!

dmvskinzfan08 10-05-2009 01:45 PM

Re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

[quote=dmvskinzfan08;602865]We wonder why our offense is looking the same as it has last year. Most of the blame has been on JC. But shouldn't the 2nd year WRs be held accountable also? They have been no existent. So basically my whole point is that we are back to where we were before we drafted them. [B]Moss Cooley[/B] [B]and[/B] [B]ARE as our options[/B]!! [B][I][COLOR=blue]On that note Fred Davis has been non-existent also[/COLOR][/I][/B]. So where do you think we should go from here. Please chime in...[/quote]

Oh I didn't forget him either.

diehard 10-05-2009 01:58 PM

I thought we'd see Thomas more as PR/KR but, Mitchell has to be given a shot eventually. Kelly is coming along. This is [U]his[/U] rookie campaign unlike Thomas.

dmvskinzfan08 10-05-2009 02:03 PM

[quote=diehard;602878]I thought we'd see Thomas more as PR/KR but, Mitchell has to be given a shot eventually. Kelly is coming along. This is [U]his[/U] rookie campaign unlike Thomas.[/quote]

Yeah I think Thomas should be used more on returns because we havne't really been making any noise in that part of the game. It is his rookie campaign so to speak but he did play last year. Not a lot but he did play. But basic thigns liek going up for a ball or swatting it away from a defender shoudl be skills he already possesses as a receiver. pretty basic. he is like 6'3-6'4. Another thing is he is kinda slow getting out of breaks and doesn't create separation. You can't teach speed. He is more of a possession receiver.

dgack 10-05-2009 02:07 PM

I've read a number of analyses that suggest that Davis is actually doing serious work as a blocker so he's at least contributing.

redsk1 10-05-2009 02:10 PM

For the life of me I can't figure out who's fault it is. It's easy to say it's Kelly, Thomas, and Davis. It could be JC, coaching, or the FO. Damn, i don't know. What I do know is that our 2nd rounders from last year haven't pruduced squat.

Conversely, the NY Giants young WR's seem to be just doing fine. There are alot of reasons for that but just making a comparison.

SI.com Steve Smith (24), Mario Manningham (23) and Hakeem Nicks (20) -- who have combined for an average of 197 yards and two touchdown catches a game ...

Read more: [url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/04/mmqb.week.4/index.html?eref=sihpT1#ixzz0T5PLHdB1]Jerry Reese, Sean Payton, Josh McDaniels at helm of quick starts* - Peter King - SI.com[/url]
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

dmvskinzfan08 10-05-2009 02:10 PM

[quote=dgack;602882]I've read a number of analyses that suggest that Davis is actually doing serious work as a blocker so he's at least contributing.[/quote]

True. He is allowing Cooley to go out more. Good point!! We will give him a pass..lol

44Deezel 10-05-2009 02:13 PM

The entire Offense sucks. The Skins are 27th in the League in points scored, 2 points ahead of the Bucs and only 7 points ahead of the friggin Browns. Do we look at those teams and think they'd be Offensive juggernauts if only one of their wide receivers would step up? We have bad coaching, a bad O line, a QB who probably won't be starting for anyone next year (just like when Brunell left), a single RB who is worn down, a pretty good receiver in Moss and one of the better Tight Ends in the league.

AND the Skins have only played 1 legit Defense. What the hell are they going to look like when they stop playing the other contenders for worst team in the league?

Blame Kelly, DT and Davis all you want, but there aren't many (if any) WRs that would excel on this team. If DeSean Jackson played for the Skins, he would be crap. And if Kelly played for the Eagles, he would be much better than he is here. The O blows, bottom line.

dmvskinzfan08 10-05-2009 02:15 PM

[quote=44Deezel;602887]Blame Kelly, DT and Davis all you want, but there aren't many (if any) WRs that would excel on this team. If DeSean Jackson played for the Skins, he would be crap. And if Kelly played for the Eagles, he would be much better than he is here. The O blows, bottom line.[/quote] :doh:

SmootSmack 10-05-2009 02:17 PM

[quote=dgack;602882]I've read a number of analyses that suggest that Davis is actually doing serious work as a blocker so he's at least contributing.[/quote]

From what I've seen this year there is no reason for Yoder to ever be on the field when Davis can be there instead (and I'm not just saying that because of Yoder's missed block yesterday). Davis is an effective blocker and can't emerge as a threat in the passing game if he's sitting on the sidelines. I was really questioning the decision to draft him but I think he may actually be the closest to making a significant impact.

Devin Thomas should be returning kicks, and I see him getting open but he's often the 4th (at best) option. Campbell just doesn't have the time to check off that many receivers. Until Moss or ARE is off this roster, it appears that Thomas' touches will most come somewhat unconventionally for a receiver (returns, reverses)

For all his height, Kelly really struggles with those fade or lob patterns. They should be throwing more passes over the middle to him. Catch, turn, and run.

KLHJ2 10-05-2009 02:18 PM

After all of the recievers that have come through Washington in the past few years and done absolutely nothing I refuse to believe that all the blame should be pinned on the younger WR's. There is something else going on, I am not quite sure what it is. I would put money on Marko failing in the number 2 spot as well.

dmvskinzfan08 10-05-2009 02:21 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;602890]From what I've seen this year there is no reason for Yoder to ever be on the field when Davis can be there instead (and I'm not just saying that because of Yoder's missed block yesterday). Davis is an effective blocker and can't emerge as a threat in the passing game if he's sitting on the sidelines. I was really questioning the decision to draft him but I think he may actually be the closest to making a significant impact.

Devin Thomas should be returning kicks, and I see him getting open but he's often the 4th (at best) option. Campbell just doesn't have the time to check off that many receivers. Until Moss or ARE is off this roster, it appears that Thomas' touches will most come somewhat unconventionally for a receiver (returns, reverses)

For all his height, Kelly really struggles with those fade or lob patterns. They should be throwing more passes over the middle to him. Catch, turn, and run.[/quote]

I agree we should use Kelly on those type of patterns as more of a possession receiver. This was how he was mostly used in preseason. Go to the first down marker and psot in front of a smaller receiver than run. On pass that was intercepted yesterday Kelly didn't have the speed and was forced to the sidelines. He does not use his frame well in that respect. On routes were speed is a factor in creating separation or deep routes. I think Mitchell is the man for that job.

Counter-Tre 10-05-2009 02:22 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;602867]This is the same thing I've been posting about. Don't forget Davis. I've been saying bench either Thomas or Kelly and start Marko Mitchell.[/quote] Davis, I just don't understand wasting on him.