Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   looking at the numbers at the 25% mark of the season (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32423)

DFI 10-05-2009 07:19 PM

looking at the numbers at the 25% mark of the season

looking at the numbers as the season is at the 25% mark it seems to me like there is much to be concerned about and a few bright spots as well much of this information is [URL="http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Stats_Standings_517.jsp"]here[/URL] and other numbers come from [URL="http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Stats_Standings_517.jsp"]here:[/URL]

1) Rushing TDs after 4 games we have all of one rushing TD and that from our Punter hunter smith. There are 62 players in the NFL that have atleast one rushing TD and the only one of those that is a redskin is our punter. for a team that has long prided itself on smash mouth NFC East Football this is clearly not a good number.

2) Points Scored we have scored 56 points in 4 games which ranks 27th out of 32. the only teams we have out scored are Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Oakland, Carolina and St. Louis. I know this is an ongoing topic here but we need to find a way to get more points on the board.

3) Points allowed we stack up pretty well here we are tied for 6th in points allowed, having given up 62 points in 4 games. This is the best in the NFC East.

4) Jason Campbell is 9th in the league in TD passes with 5 and 4th in the league in Interceptions with 5 as well considering that Campbell only threw 6 picks all of last year this is certainly a concern.

5) Giveaway/takeaway we are 25th in the league with a turnover difference of -3 when you are not scoring points (like we are not doing) turnovers will kill you, this is certainly an area of concern.

6) London Fletcher has been a beast and is leading the league with 52 tackles. the next closest has 40. if this continues I don't see how London can be kept out of the pro bowl again this year.

I thought the second half of sunday's game was solid but there are only three more games on the schedule that we clearly should win (Carolina, KC and Oakland) We need to make some fast progress before we get into the meat of our schedule. I certainly hope that this can happen.

Beemnseven 10-05-2009 07:54 PM

Re: looking at the numbers at the 25% mark of the season

More numbers: Portis is now 9 games without reaching 100 yards.

On a historical note, since 1991, over a period of 18 years, the Redskins are one of only 5 teams that have not been to a conference championship game. The others are the Texans, Bengals, Browns, and Lions.

skinsfaninok 10-05-2009 08:13 PM

Basically we are lucky to be 2-2

44Deezel 10-05-2009 08:34 PM

[quote=DFI;603074]looking at the numbers as the season is at the 25% mark it seems to me like there is much to be concerned about and a few bright spots as well much of this information is [URL="http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Stats_Standings_517.jsp"]here[/URL] and other numbers come from [URL="http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Stats_Standings_517.jsp"]here:[/URL]

1) Rushing TDs after 4 games we have all of one rushing TD and that from our Punter hunter smith. There are 62 players in the NFL that have atleast one rushing TD and the only one of those that is a redskin is our punter. for a team that has long prided itself on smash mouth NFC East Football this is clearly not a good number.

2) Points Scored we have scored 56 points in 4 games which ranks 27th out of 32. the only teams we have out scored are Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Oakland, Carolina and St. Louis. I know this is an ongoing topic here but we need to find a way to get more points on the board.

3) Points allowed we stack up pretty well here we are tied for 6th in points allowed, having given up 62 points in 4 games. This is the best in the NFC East.

4) Jason Campbell is 9th in the league in TD passes with 5 and 4th in the league in Interceptions with 5 as well considering that Campbell only threw 6 picks all of last year this is certainly a concern.

5) Giveaway/takeaway we are 25th in the league with a turnover difference of -3 when you are not scoring points (like we are not doing) turnovers will kill you, this is certainly an area of concern.

6) London Fletcher has been a beast and is leading the league with 52 tackles. the next closest has 40. if this continues I don't see how London can be kept out of the pro bowl again this year.

I thought the second half of sunday's game was solid but there are only three more games on the schedule that we clearly should win (Carolina, KC and Oakland) We need to make some fast progress before we get into the meat of our schedule. I certainly hope that this can happen.[/quote]

1) Alarming

2) And Carolina was on bye this week

3) As much as we rag on the Defense, they still haven't given up 30 in something like 26 games. The O is the bigger problem on this team.

4) I expect him to really light it up when we get to the soft part of our schedule, and he doesn't have to face the vaunted Defenses of the Bucs, Rams and Lions anymore. Talk about Murderer's Row;). BTW, some teams have only played 3 games.

5) DBs can't catch and we don't hit the guy most likely to cough it up. Nothing new.

6) He's the man

Lotus 10-05-2009 09:25 PM

[quote=DFI;603074]

[/quote]

I have lobbied before for Hunter the Punter to start at halfback. We could even wildcat Hunter. He would pick up the running game. Sadly, he's hurt.

Ruhskins 10-05-2009 10:28 PM

Holy shit, one f'ing rushing TD?!?!

DFI 10-06-2009 01:03 AM

when it comes to the skins I am always a glass half full kind of guy, and in my opinion the second half of sunday's game was the best 30 minutes we have played all year we should win a minimum of two of the next three and should hit the bye week no worse than 4-3. I am not convinced a coaching change is the answer....I like zorn I think he is a quality guy and should be given some time. not sure that is what will happen but that is what I think. I am not sold on campbell, my son thinks that Pinapple Jesus is the salvation of the team but I am not convinced that is the answer either

takethecake 10-06-2009 02:17 AM

I'd say the most alarming stat to me is this one:

Cooley: 22 rec, 254 yds, 2 TDs
Moss: 17 rec, 293 yds, 2 TDs
Randle El: 13 rec, 158 yds, 0 TDs

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis combined: 10 rec, 82 yds, 0 TDs

I don't know how much longer we should be holding out hope for this group. I mean, is it that zorn isn't calling plays to involve them, or do they just not get separation, or what? I realize Fred Davis is being utilized more as a blocker, which is good, but didn't we draft him to be a passing threat?

djnemo65 10-06-2009 02:39 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;603084]More numbers: Portis is now 9 games without reaching 100 yards.

On a historical note, since 1991, over a period of 18 years, the Redskins are one of only 5 teams that have not been to a conference championship game. The others are the Texans, Bengals, Browns, and Lions.[/quote]

Texans and Browns shouldn't be included since they were both formed after 91. And didn't the Lions last go to the conference championship in 91, losing to the Skins? Still, I didn't know the Skins were in such poor company there.

Hijinx 10-06-2009 06:09 AM

[quote=DFI;603074]
1) Rushing TDs after 4 games we have all of [B]one rushing TD and that from our Punter hunter smith[/B]. There are 62 players in the NFL that have atleast one rushing TD and the only one of those that is a redskin is our punter. for a team that has long prided itself on smash mouth NFC East Football this is clearly not a good number.[/quote]

This is the biggest problem as I see it. The O-line fails us almost every year it seems.

What percentage of the running plays are using zone blocking? Conventional wisdom is you need fast, lighter, nimble linemen for zone blocking. However none of the Skin's O-line is on the right side of 300 lbs. Plus Betts really is not the right kind of back for stretch plays. He can't cut (or see the cut back lane?) fast enough to exploit the big holes. That leaves Portis to shoulder the load and he seems to be aged or injured.

MTK 10-06-2009 08:19 AM

Zorn needs to work on ways to get the young WRs involved. Moss is constantly being double teamed. There's gotta be some opportunities there to take advantage of other than Cooley. Cooley by the way is on pace for a monster season.

Southpaw 10-06-2009 08:43 AM

[quote=DFI;603074]
[/quote]

Does anyone else find it funny that the most points Washington has scored in a single game this season was in the Meadowlands, against the Giants? Go figure...

freddyg12 10-06-2009 08:46 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;603244]Zorn needs to work on ways to get the young WRs involved. Moss is constantly being double teamed. There's gotta be some opportunities there to take advantage of other than Cooley. Cooley by the way is on pace for a monster season.[/quote]

I wonder if DT is ever the 1st read? They could get him in for a bubble screen or quick slant, but I wonder just how confident JC & coaches are in him.

MTK 10-06-2009 08:50 AM

[quote=freddyg12;603254]I wonder if DT is ever the 1st read? They could get him in for a bubble screen or quick slant, but I wonder just how confident JC & coaches are in him.[/quote]

It's obvious they have some plays for Kelly, they've tried to hit him deep a few times per game. Yeah it would be nice to see them dialing something up for Thomas deep.

Chico23231 10-06-2009 09:22 AM

[quote=takethecake;603199]I'd say the most alarming stat to me is this one:

Cooley: 22 rec, 254 yds, 2 TDs
Moss: 17 rec, 293 yds, 2 TDs
Randle El: 13 rec, 158 yds, 0 TDs

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis combined: 10 rec, 82 yds, 0 TDs

I don't know how much longer we should be holding out hope for this group. I mean, is it that zorn isn't calling plays to involve them, or do they just not get separation, or what? I realize Fred Davis is being utilized more as a blocker, which is good, but didn't we draft him to be a passing threat?[/quote]

Yeah, I think this is very disappointing. Fred Davis numbers dont surprise me, but when U have complete F-ing indiots in the FO that waste a second round pick when u already have a pro bowler in that position this is what you get. Fred Davis is the most talented of the 3, but he cant find the field b/c Cooley is a beast. I actually feel bad for Davis, and would love to see him split out some more to see what he can do. Malcom and Devin flat out suck. Hixon sucks too. I say bench Malcom and put in Marko. And get Devin back on kick off and punt returns.