Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking ahead, it's only going to get worse (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32622)

SirClintonPortis 10-13-2009 12:10 PM

Re: Looking ahead, it's only going to get worse

Oakland actually has a good pass D(Asomugha) while San Diego's D suxxorz

53Fan 10-13-2009 12:23 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;607703]Well I know I'm in the minority here, but I think we have some talented players but they need to play. If we start to really falter, like we're 2-6, then why not start Montgomery at C and Rinehart at RG the rest of the way? Neither Rabach nor Thomas (most likely) will be here next year. Same with Smoot, make him inactive and make Barnes your dime back. Start Jarmon and Orakpo on the line. Start Chris Wilson, Start DT and Kelly, and make Moss your slot receiver...and so on[/quote]

I agree. If we get to that point why not see what we've got? An infusion of new blood may be just what we need, (among many other things). I've been waiting to see Mitchell get some plays called to him anyway. And guys like Rinehart should only get better with playing time. If we get to 2-6, let these guys start and let the ones that got us to that point sit. We're never going to know what we've got until they play in a real game anyway. Why keep playing guys who aren't going to be here next year if the season is lost?

Trample the Elderly 10-13-2009 12:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;607703]Well I know I'm in the minority here, but I think we have some talented players but they need to play. If we start to really falter, like we're 2-6, then why not start Montgomery at C and Rinehart at RG the rest of the way? Neither Rabach nor Thomas (most likely) will be here next year. Same with Smoot, make him inactive and make Barnes your dime back. Start Jarmon and Orakpo on the line. Start Chris Wilson, Start DT and Kelly, and make Moss your slot receiver...and so on[/quote]

You wouldn't keep Raback for depth?

SmootSmack 10-13-2009 12:28 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;607714]You wouldn't keep Raback for depth?[/quote]

Well no, I'd start Montgomery at C and make Edwin Williams the backup G/C. Plus the scuttlebutt is that Rabach won't be re-signed anyway

NYCSkin 10-13-2009 12:31 PM

I like the way you are thinking except why not do this now?

The Skins are not and will not win with the bloated vets they have. Give these young players a chance--they can't produce less than the semipro ball we've been watching this season...

Trample the Elderly 10-13-2009 12:31 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;607717]Well no, I'd start Montgomery at C and make Edwin Williams the backup G/C. Plus the scuttlebutt is that Rabach won't be re-signed anyway[/quote]

So, they're going to let Rabach walk and fill his shoes with two UDFAs? Tell me that we've someone on right guard that would be better than Rabach, Jansen, or Kendall right now. They only have 6 draft picks, maybe seven depending on how many sevenths the league gives us. After this year well need a LT and a RT?

djnemo65 10-13-2009 12:32 PM

Seems like a no brainer to me. But given that Zorn or Gray or whoever will almost certainly not be coming back next year and will thus be auditioning for another job, it's hard to imagine they will be concerned with playing for the future.

Paintrain 10-13-2009 12:36 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;607600]I can't help but look ahead on the schedule and wonder how much worse it's gonna get. This was supposed to be the "easy" stretch of the schedule and we're looking at limping in to the bye at best 3-4, possibly 2-5.

Check out what's ahead after the bye: :doh:

@ Atlanta
Denver
@ Dallas
@ Philly
New Orleans
@ Oakland
NYG
Dallas
@ San Diego

Outside of Oakland, it's looking like a rough 2nd half of the year. Top 5 pick anyone? Buckle up folks, things are gonna get real bumpy.[/quote]

As painful as it is to say, a 4-12 type season could be the best thing that can happen for this franchise. As much as JLC annoyed me with his agendas and negativity, one thing he often said was that by hovering in the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range every year management always thought we were one or two players away from the next level. A brutally awful season may be the catalyst for Snyder to finally wake up and hear what everyone outside of a 3 office radius has been saying and make some serious changes.

JGisLordOfTheRings 10-13-2009 12:43 PM

If we get to the bye at 3-4 we can continue but I cannot stand going 7-9 and getting a garbage pick.

JGisLordOfTheRings 10-13-2009 12:44 PM

[quote=Paintrain;607724]As painful as it is to say, a 4-12 type season could be the best thing that can happen for this franchise. As much as JLC annoyed me with his agendas and negativity, one thing he often said was that by hovering in the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range every year management always thought we were one or two players away from the next level. A brutally awful season may be the catalyst for Snyder to finally wake up and hear what everyone outside of a 3 office radius has been saying and make some serious changes.[/quote]

Nevermind.

My thoughts exactly, very well put. A 4-12 season would let Danny know he needs to step back and it would get the new ownership a good pick to start with.

Slingin Sammy 33 10-13-2009 12:56 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;607703]Well I know I'm in the minority here, but I think we have some talented players but they need to play. If we start to really falter, like we're 2-6, then why not start Montgomery at C and Rinehart at RG the rest of the way? Neither Rabach nor Thomas (most likely) will be here next year. Same with Smoot, make him inactive and make Barnes your dime back. Start Jarmon and Orakpo on the line. Start Chris Wilson, Start DT and Kelly, and make Moss your slot receiver...and so on[/quote]Agree, but don't wait. No way we make the playoffs.

OL - Heyer RT, Rinehart RG, Monty C, Dock LG, Samuels LT (if he's injured Batiste, or MW, don't move Heyer)
QB - Give JC a couple more games, but don't protect him with the playcalls like this game. If he doesn't improve over the next two weeks. Play Woodson see what you have/don't have there. If a reasonable trade can be made for Quinn (something that doesn't include a #1 or #2 draft pick) pull the trigger and get Quinn in.
RB - more Mason in the rotation.
WR - In any 3WR set, DT at Z, Kelly at X, Moss at slot. 2WR sets go Moss at Z and rotate DT / Kelly depending on the playcall or situation. Deep go with DT, Possesion go Kelly.
TE - more 2TE sets that put Cooley and Davis in the slot to spread the D out more and create mismatches with LBs/DBs.

RDE - start Orakpo.
DT - keep current rotation
LDE - start Jarmon, cut Wynn, bring Jackson up.
LB - More Wilson, Blades, A. Carter if necessary until we can address LB in the off-season
CB - activate Barnes. I would go so far as to rotate Barnes in with Rogers/Hall. If Rogers is traded or allowed to leave, we need someone to step up in house. Tryon can be a good Nickel CB IMO, probably will have issues as a # 1 or #2 CB.
S - we're pretty set here.

Lotus 10-13-2009 01:18 PM

Often players believe against belief that they can turn things around, so cutting losses prematurely could send the wrong message. I'd wait until we've lost 7 games (which sadly may not be far off). At that point, I'd consider your plan to be spot on. Give the young bucks experience and an opportunity to prove themselves.

JoeRedskin 10-13-2009 01:24 PM

Actually, I think you are in the majority. I would endorse ALL those moves. Further, I would have Marko Mitchell active and set the receivers as M.Kelly; D. Thomas/M. Mitchell alternate as No. 2/4; Moss as number 3; Randle-el as the 5th.

Also, DT is the return man - maybe he can end up being a spectacular returner a la' Desmond Howard.

Give Zorn a shot with the youngsters and see what happens. At the end of the year, show him the door if the ineptitude continues.

SouperMeister 10-13-2009 01:31 PM

[quote=JGisLordOfTheRings;607731]Nevermind.

My thoughts exactly, very well put. A 4-12 season would let Danny know he needs to step back and it would get the new ownership a good pick to start with.[/quote]Snyder has convenient scapegoats in Zorn and Campbell. I don't see him ever accepting fault for the poor product he puts on the field. The only way that I see him waking up is if we the fans stop buying into this bullshit. Stop buying jerseys and jackets, stop going to the games, stop paying for parking and concessions. I will probably always watch the games on TV, because that's what I do, but I'll be damned if I give Snyder another dime through tickets, concessions, or gear until he brings in a real football guy to run the show.

44Deezel 10-13-2009 01:31 PM

There are going to be some BAD losses ahead. I predict at least one team will hang 40 on us (probably New Orleans), and we will fail to score a TD in at least 2 games, with at least one being a complete shut-out. Oakland and KC are the only winnable games left on the schedule. We'll probably be down to ARE as our QB by the end of the year. Campbell's going to get sacked 4-8 times a game from here on in.

4 or 5 wins tops this year.