Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Maybe better players would improve Zorn's play-calling (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32810)

Chevy13 10-20-2009 04:58 AM

Maybe better players would improve Zorn's play-calling

Nice....
[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8138b12f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true]Maybe better players would improve Zorn's play-calling[/url]

tryfuhl 10-20-2009 05:31 AM

Re: Maybe better players would improve Zorn's play-calling

Maybe that, maybe not running very vanilla and predictable plays, maybe a lot of things.

DBUCHANON101 10-20-2009 05:42 AM

Maybe if he did like the other good coaches in the league and put his players in position to do what they do best.
Patriots didnt have a all star squad of wr's when they started winning titles, BB and his OC schemed to put them in position to play to their strengths.

irish 10-20-2009 07:07 AM

[quote=DBUCHANON101;612539]Maybe if he did like the other good coaches in the league and put his players in position to do what they do best.
Patriots didnt have a all star squad of wr's when they started winning titles, BB and his OC schemed to put them in position to play to their strengths.[/quote]

One thing the Pats have that the Skins dont is a super star QB and that makes up for a lot.

SmootSmack 10-20-2009 07:28 AM

Here's one thing I couldn't figure out. And maybe someone else here could shed light on this.

30 seconds left in the game. We're deep in our own zone and need to score a TD. Our most clutch (only clutch?) receiver is Chris Cooley...and he's standing on the sidelines next to Jim Zorn? Why?

tryfuhl 10-20-2009 07:33 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;612566]Here's one thing I couldn't figure out. And maybe someone else here could shed light on this.

30 seconds left in the game. We're deep in our own zone and need to score a TD. Our most clutch (only clutch?) receiver is Chris Cooley...and he's standing on the sidelines next to Jim Zorn? Why?[/quote]
Yeah I was sitting there in front of the computer yelling "WHERE IS COOLEY?! WHERE IS COOLEY?!" with my roomie staring at me. Our playcalling seems off, our packages at certain times in the game seem off, well.. everything seems off but just the fundamentals definitely as well. I don't understand why we don't use him on more delayed TE screens either, he can obviously barrel down the field after the catch.

skins89moss 10-20-2009 08:21 AM

Well maybe better coaching would improve our players so they can contribute. Good coaches design plays to get the ball in the play makers hands. Why aren't Malcom and Devin running slants and come back routes to use their big bodies to shield the defenders. How about TE screen with Cooley and Davis. Why not use Sellers more as a pass threat out of the backfield? I hope Sherm Lewis will find away to get the ball to our playmakers.

GoSkins! 10-20-2009 08:25 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;612566]Here's one thing I couldn't figure out. And maybe someone else here could shed light on this.

30 seconds left in the game. We're deep in our own zone and need to score a TD. Our most clutch (only clutch?) receiver is Chris Cooley...and he's standing on the sidelines next to Jim Zorn? Why?[/quote]

It seems like Zorn as a classic case of "I'm to smart for my own good". In other words, he just can't understand the abilities and limitations of his players enough to create effective game plans. He assumes that they just need to be able to do whatever he can think up. You need to coach to your teams strengths and abilities. Guys are underachieving and the game plans are ineffective.

I'm, personally, tired of hearing that the players need to "play faster" and "execute".

MTK 10-20-2009 09:01 AM

I think it was because they wanted to give Armstrong a look. At least that's what the rumor was.

converted seahawk 10-20-2009 09:27 AM

[quote=GoSkins!;612577]It seems like Zorn as a classic case of "I'm to smart for my own good". In other words, he just can't understand the abilities and limitations of his players enough to create effective game plans. He assumes that they just need to be able to do whatever he can think up. You need to coach to your teams strengths and abilities. Guys are underachieving and the game plans are ineffective.

I'm, personally, tired of hearing that the players need to "play faster" and "execute".[/quote]

..that would be, 'TOO smart for my own good', and it seems to me if there is a lack of understanding regarding player limitations, its with the GM/Owner who, for example, did nothing to improve on the limitations of the O line. As long as Snyder treats this team like his own 'special' monopoly game, where he buys the coolest pieces, rather than build a team, he will continue to get the same results he has had the last ten years.

This really isnt a very good team right now.

rbanerjee23 10-20-2009 09:30 AM

maybe being a better coach would improve his playcalling...maybe being a better anything would improve his playcalling lol

SUNRA 10-20-2009 09:47 AM

Maybe if Zorn utilized 6'4 receiver Marko Mithcell and Kelly in the redzone we would score more like Brees to Colston and Meachem. After the 6-2 accomplishment, he made no adjustments with his schemes and blamed it all on execution. Jason Campbell has regressed and looks lost. Zorn should have never been hired for head coach, playcaller or quarterbacks coach. Riggins was absolutely right.

tryfuhl 10-20-2009 09:54 AM

[quote=SUNRA;612617]Maybe if Zorn utilized 6'4 receiver Marko Mithcell and Kelly in the redzone we would score more like Brees to Colston and Meachem. After the 6-2 accomplishment, he made no adjustments with his schemes and blamed it all on execution. Jason Campbell has regressed and looks lost. Zorn should have never been hired for head coach, playcaller or quarterbacks coach. Riggins was absolutely right.[/quote]
you mean we shouldn't run the fade to ARE anymore?

Longtimefan 10-20-2009 10:19 AM

For whatever reason it seems Cooley has been spending an inordinate amount of time on the sidelines lately, or not being as much involved in the game plan. Could it be his head is drifting slightly away from the game due to all the many distractions surrounding the team?

There was one other instance in Sunday's game I found lacked insight from a coaching standpoint. We're a team struggling to score points. The score is 3-0 it's the last play before the end of the 1st half, Zorn offers for a "hail mary" which was intercepted as opposed to at least giving his kicker a chance. Granted it would have been a 53 yarder, but you have to at least give the guy an opportunity. Most coaches would have opted for the try even if it failed.

CRedskinsRule 10-20-2009 10:24 AM

[quote=Skins89Moss;612576]
Well maybe better coaching would improve our players so they can contribute. Good coaches design plays to get the ball in the play makers hands. Why aren't Malcom and Devin running slants and come back routes to use their big bodies to shield the defenders. How about TE screen with Cooley and Davis. Why not use Sellers more as a pass threat out of the backfield? I hope Sherm Lewis will find away to get the ball to our playmakers.
[/quote]

[quote=GoSkins!;612577]It seems like Zorn as a classic case of "I'm to smart for my own good". In other words, he just can't understand the abilities and limitations of his players enough to create effective game plans. He assumes that they just need to be able to do whatever he can think up. You need to coach to your teams strengths and abilities. Guys are underachieving and the game plans are ineffective.

I'm, personally, tired of hearing that the players need to "play faster" and "execute".[/quote]

These two quotes highlight why a change in play calling could give us hope. Somehow a football coach has to find a way, not just run the same thing again and again, and blame execution. I also wonder, if he doesn't see perfect execution in practice, then he isn't willing to try the plays in a game. Hence our limited playcalling. And when the players practice hard all week and never have a chance during the game, I could see them (mainly the receivers) getting discouraged and giving up on routes early. Very cyclical, and changing a play caller could change that cycle.