Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Devin Thomas remains starter (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32898)

PennSkinsFan 10-22-2009 04:13 PM

Devin Thomas remains starter

[URL="http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/10/22/devin-thomas-to-remain-starter.html"][B]http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/10/22/devin-thomas-to-remain-starter.html[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://twitter.com/RickMaese"][QUOTE][/URL][URL="http://twitter.com/RickMaese"][B]Rick Maese reports on his Twitter[/B][/URL] that Jim Zorn has apparently said that WR Devin Thomas will remain starter opposite WR Santana Moss. Oh really? I didn’t know we actually had a starter besides Moss. Thomas apparently started over Malcolm Kelly last week against Kansas City.
Could you tell?
[/QUOTE]

redsk1 10-22-2009 04:24 PM

Re: Devin Thomas remains starter

Who is this "Devin Thomas" that you speak of?

freddyg12 10-22-2009 04:26 PM

at least he beat his man downfield & made a nice grab out of bounds, which wasn't his fault. I was disappointed they didn't throw a slant or two his way after he got a few catches v. carolina.

BigHairedAristocrat 10-22-2009 04:30 PM

I honestly hope Sherm actually calls more plays to these receivers. I obviously dont see them every day in practice, but at some point youve got to just throw them the ball and see what happens. If they don't ever get an opportunity, you'll never know what can happen. these guys are big and can fight for balls. They dont need to be as "wide-open" as moss on a deep play. Additionally, if the ball is thrown ACCURATELY, they have a much greater chance of catching the ball. Unfortunately, our QB has been pretty inaccurate lately... its not DT and MKs fault when the ball is under/overthrown or placed out of bounds, as we saw last week.

Longtimefan 10-22-2009 04:33 PM

Something spectacular will have to happen in order for me to notice there is a change. Is it relly going to make any difference anyway?

hooskins 10-22-2009 04:36 PM

Hm, great. Start giving him punt and kick returns.

SouperMeister 10-22-2009 04:46 PM

I totally agree about activating Marko Mitchell, and I would even start him. Thomas and Kelly have been invisible.

redsk1 10-22-2009 04:51 PM

[quote=freddyg12;614119]at least he beat his man downfield & made a nice grab out of bounds, which wasn't his fault. I was disappointed they didn't throw a slant or two his way after he got a few catches v. carolina.[/quote]

Yeah, I really don't know how much fault I place on Kelly/Thomas/Davis. I really don't. Put Thomas in a system like NY/Indi/NO (that has qbs) and I think he's going to have a little more production. Everything is so messed up it's hard to place blame. He catches everything thrown to him. I'm sure there's some blame that he deserves, but who the hell knows.

PortimusPrime 10-22-2009 04:51 PM

A few slants towards Thomas wouldn't be to bad.

Also wouldn't mind seeing us draft another WR late in this upcoming draft. Not sure where Riley Cooper is expected to go but he has potential. Either that or hold out for Torey Smith to go pro.

BrunellMVP? 10-22-2009 04:54 PM

yawn, same lipstick, different pig.

Chico23231 10-22-2009 04:59 PM

No impact. We basically dont have a 2nd wide receiver.

mcarey032 10-22-2009 11:03 PM

Yeah I saw Malcolm Kelly not run into the end zone for the last play of the first half. It helps when you throw a hail mary to run the pattern into the endzone so that you can have a chance to score and not 10 yards short of it. We must have had the worst wide receiving draft of all time. No wait, we drafted Desmond Howard.

The Goat 10-22-2009 11:45 PM

Actually...if Collins gets more time I think Thomas will get some grabs. JC, sadly, isn't seeing him get open and a few good opps have already been missed.

SkinzzFan 10-23-2009 12:10 AM

[quote=SouperMeister;614128]I totally agree about activating Marko Mitchell, and I would even start him. Thomas and Kelly have been invisible.[/quote]

Yup, I also agree. Mitchell plays (at least in preseason when fighting for a roster spot) with a desire that I just don't see in Thomas or Kelly. I'm sure that would carry over if given a chance.

GMScud 10-23-2009 12:28 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;614120][B]I honestly hope Sherm actually calls more plays to these receivers. I obviously dont see them every day in practice, but at some point youve got to just throw them the ball and see what happens.[/B] If they don't ever get an opportunity, you'll never know what can happen. these guys are big and can fight for balls. They dont need to be as "wide-open" as moss on a deep play. Additionally, if the ball is thrown ACCURATELY, they have a much greater chance of catching the ball. Unfortunately, our QB has been pretty inaccurate lately... its not DT and MKs fault when the ball is under/overthrown or placed out of bounds, as we saw last week.[/quote]

I suppose it depends on if those recievers are open and if JC sees them. But I agree it would make sense to see what we've got in some younger players on the bench and/or not involved. At some point this season will be officially deemed a loss, and if a new regime is coming in, we might as well have a barometer on as much of the roster as reasonably possible.

Dirtbag59 10-23-2009 12:41 AM

Is Devin Thomas a Left Tackle?

skinsfaninok 10-23-2009 12:52 AM

Well If these young WR'S that we have actually had a QB maybe they would end up being pretty good. Atlanta thought Roddy White and Jenkins were bums until Matt Ryan walked in the door. I say if these guys cant contribute next yr when we have a new QB, then it's time to call them bust.

Monkeydad 10-23-2009 09:12 AM

[quote=PennSkinsFan;614115][URL="http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/10/22/devin-thomas-to-remain-starter.html"][B]http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/10/22/devin-thomas-to-remain-starter.html[/B][/URL]

[url="http://twitter.com/RickMaese"][/quote]

[URL]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/32865-attention-bloggers.html[/URL]

:bump:

SmootSmack 10-23-2009 12:33 PM

Interesting comments from Zorn on Kelly

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/thomas-nudges-kelly-from-start.html?wprss=redskinsinsider]Redskins Insider - Thomas nudges Kelly from starting flanker spot[/url]

KLHJ2 10-23-2009 12:40 PM

Well, I'm happy. I've always been more of a Thomas advocate and it's nice to see that he is working harder.

freddyg12 10-23-2009 12:42 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;614277]Well If these young WR'S that we have actually had a QB maybe they would end up being pretty good. Atlanta thought Roddy White and Jenkins were bums until Matt Ryan walked in the door. I say if these guys cant contribute next yr when we have a new QB, then it's time to call them bust.[/quote]

great comparison w/atlanta. I don't know if I agree that it's JC's fault, it's probably a combination of both, hard to tell if these guys are getting open.

firstdown 10-23-2009 12:59 PM

[quote=freddyg12;614499]great comparison w/atlanta. I don't know if I agree that it's JC's fault, it's probably a combination of both, hard to tell if these guys are getting open.[/quote]

Name the last time you saw JC throw the ball before the WR made the cut so the ball would be there when they where actually open. Instead he waits for the cover guy to recover so the WR is no longer open.

freddyg12 10-23-2009 03:14 PM

[quote=firstdown;614507]Name the last time you saw JC throw the ball before the WR made the cut so the ball would be there when they where actually open. Instead he waits for the cover guy to recover so the WR is no longer open.[/quote]

other than throws to cooley & moss, can't think of any.

over the mountain 10-23-2009 03:24 PM

just going to pile on with every one else that i think we should be calling more plays for thomas, kelly and davis and see what they can do or not do.

also agree that it is hard to tell if its JC not seeing them, they are not getting open or whether the play calling has not made them the 1st read enough times.

hopefully we will have some answers and things to review by seasons end so that we have a better picture of what kind of player these three will be going forward b/c right now i do not have anything to go off of.

go skins!!

GTripp0012 10-23-2009 03:53 PM

It's worth a shot, since Kelly has been awful since week two. When healthy, Kelly's better, but the finger injury appears to be affecting him in ways that, I believe, a more mentally tough player should be playing through. He's not helping us right now.

Thomas won't help us either, but you drafted him, might as well put him out there.

GridIron26 10-23-2009 04:43 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;614609]It's worth a shot, since Kelly has been awful since week two. When healthy, Kelly's better, but the finger injury appears to be affecting him in ways that, I believe, a more mentally tough player should be playing through. He's not helping us right now.

Thomas won't help us either, but you drafted him, might as well put him out there.[/quote]

Agreed.. After reading the washington post article about Peers' comments on Lewis regarding offense.. It's sort of 50/50 chance for our offense, I guess.. Regardless of this, I really hope Lewis will find a way to get our "rookies" players involved.. This also include Mitchell..

GusFrerotte 10-23-2009 05:20 PM

After the bye we better see Mitchell thrown in the mix. We need to throw to all 3 for 2010 preliminary evaluation. The one(s) that deliver we keep, the other(s) we drop.

Defensewins 10-23-2009 05:28 PM

Thomas and Kelly have been given every chance to succeed. Hopefully we wont have apologists give the Ramsey excuse, 'he wasn't given a chance'. They have had years to prove themselves and they have not stepped up.

GTripp0012 10-23-2009 06:06 PM

I'd consider IR for Kelly at this point. We know about the torn finger ligaments, but I have to think his knee has been bothering him as well. There's just no explosiveness in any direction. Shut him down and make 2010 a make or break year for him.

There's just no reason to block Marko Mitchell anymore with this crap. If making Marko active means I have to sit through 10 more Devin Thomas starts, then so be it.

The Goat 10-23-2009 07:59 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;614710]I'd consider IR for Kelly at this point. We know about the torn finger ligaments, but I have to think his knee has been bothering him as well. There's just no explosiveness in any direction. Shut him down and make 2010 a make or break year for him.

There's just no reason to block Marko Mitchell anymore with this crap. If making Marko active means I have to sit through 10 more Devin Thomas starts, then so be it.[/quote]

Nice points all around. I would like to see Mitchell, who doesn't have much to lose and everything to gain.

DBUCHANON101 10-23-2009 08:09 PM

Our WR's need to step up. Im not saying its all on them but in the last game it didnt seem that they were fighting hard to get open when we were in the RZ. And yes i cant remember the last time i saw JC throw the ball to where the wr was going before the wr made his cut. it may be a trust issue or just lack of reps to get that kind of timing, either way we have alot of issues on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensewins 10-23-2009 08:11 PM

Not activating or playing Marko is typical of this current franchise. They care so much about making sure their high draft picks get every chance to succeed that they lose sight of playing and developing anybody else. Marko showed much more in preseason than Thomas or Kelly. I would have at least created a rotation that included Marko and the two pretenders and tried to see if Marko has the skills to produce against 1st team NFL defenses. It is not like Thomas and Kelly are playing so great that we can not afford to give them all the reps. The opposite is true and still no sign of Marko.

skinsnut 10-23-2009 09:46 PM

Many said that Marko could eventually be the #2 receiver based on preseason.
I think at this point, he may be our only hope.
I am highly disappointed in both of the other young guys...ARE is still the best #2 out there which is very sad.
I do believe Marko can do it, but I though Kelly would have been our #2 by now

CRedskinsRule 10-23-2009 09:53 PM

so if our WR's start playing better now, will that give credence to the fact that Hixon was an average at best WR coach. I ask this now, because as of Monday alot of opinions and proofs will be claimed. If we do good, a lot will be thrown on Zorn. But I expect to see a LOT of improvement in the passing (receiving) end. Maybe not all Monday night, but certainly by after the bye week. And I will credit alot to the fact that an NFL level WR coach, and a very well respected one at that has been working with our squad for several weeks now. I will also add if we don't see improvement then I will lessen my critique of Hixon

Defensewins 10-23-2009 10:23 PM

We are bound to play well at some point, the odds of our offense shooting blanks for an entire season is highly unlikely. Our offense will have a break out game at some point, maybe this weekend? But it will not be because of this coach or that offensive coordinator as the sole reason. It will be a handful of circumstances coming together combined with an opponent that is having probably having a bad week.

skinsfaninok 10-23-2009 11:30 PM

[quote=Defensewins;614754]Not activating or playing Marko is typical of this current franchise. They care so much about making sure their high draft picks get every chance to succeed that they lose sight of playing and developing anybody else. Marko showed much more in preseason than Thomas or Kelly. I would have at least created a rotation that included Marko and the two pretenders and tried to see if Marko has the skills to produce against 1st team NFL defenses. It is not like Thomas and Kelly are playing so great that we can not afford to give them all the reps. The opposite is true and still no sign of Marko.[/quote]

So Chris horton and cooley were high draft picks?

GridIron26 10-24-2009 09:44 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;614817]So Chris horton and cooley were high draft picks?[/quote]

Cooley was 3rd rounder? Horton is an exception, who was the starter when we draft Horton? Doughty.. We replaced a 6th rounder (or is it 7th?) safety with 7th rounder safety.. And it's not like Doughty is one of the best safeties in NFL..

skins89moss 10-25-2009 02:28 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;614789]so if our WR's start playing better now, will that give credence to the fact that Hixon was an average at best WR coach. I ask this now, because as of Monday alot of opinions and proofs will be claimed. If we do good, a lot will be thrown on Zorn. But I expect to see a LOT of improvement in the passing (receiving) end. Maybe not all Monday night, but certainly by after the bye week. And I will credit alot to the fact that an NFL level WR coach, and a very well respected one at that has been working with our squad for several weeks now. I will also add if we don't see improvement then I will lessen my critique of Hixon[/quote]

Why not bring back Charley Taylor or even bring in the likes of Gary Clark or Art Monk to work with young wr.

Monkeydad 10-26-2009 10:41 AM

[quote=Defensewins;614796]We are bound to play well at some point, the odds of our offense shooting blanks for an entire season is highly unlikely. Our offense will have a break out game at some point, maybe this weekend? But it will not be because of this coach or that offensive coordinator as the sole reason. It will be a handful of circumstances coming together combined with an opponent that is having probably having a bad week.[/quote]

I'd like to believe you're right. Also, your screen name is a bit of irony and so true for the 2009 Redskins. Any games we win will be attributable to the defense, who has played extremely well and kept us in almost every game this season. To be so competitive in so many games this season with nearly zero offensive production, our D can't get enough praise.

There's a lot of hope for next year if we can bolster the offense and get some true leadership from the new coach...if we keep this defense together. We have the #7-ranked defense in the NFL, 3rd-ranked against the pass...and this is even below where they should be. We should finish in the Top 5 in D again this season after being 8th in 2007 and 4th last season...and we made upgrades.

freddyg12 10-26-2009 10:51 AM

[quote=Defensewins;614796]We are bound to play well at some point, the odds of our offense shooting blanks for an entire season is highly unlikely. Our offense will have a break out game at some point, maybe this weekend? But it will not be because of this coach or that offensive coordinator as the sole reason. It will be a handful of circumstances coming together combined with an opponent that is having probably having a bad week.[/quote]

Hope you're right, but the sad thing is it looks like the offense has regressed. Maybe they're just sinking further? Although they couldn't score in the red zone, they moved the ball v. St. Louis & Detroit, and 2nd half v. TB. The last 2 weeks have just been pathetic, we look like we're playing the steel curtain every series.