Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's Give Jim Zorn Some Love! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32902)

skinsguy 10-22-2009 10:36 PM

Let's Give Jim Zorn Some Love!

Let's face it. There probably isn't a coach in the NFL right now who could stand up to the pressure and the situation that Jim Zorn is in currently. Zorn is a great guy. A great Christian guy who is well respected around the league, at least as a former QB and a QB coach. He is in a no win situation. Has a bingo caller calling plays for goodness sake! He was in over his head as soon as he was hired as head coach.

I still think Jim Zorn is going to be a great coach in the league when it comes time and when he is in the right situation. This is obviously not the right situation for any coach. Despite the collapse the team is in (and while I think Zorn shoulders blame, he is not the only reason by far) I have to give an hats off to Zorn for at least doing everything he possibly can. I really hate it for the guy. I know there are plenty on here who will say good riddance and rightfully so. But unlike Steve Spurrier, Zorn is giving it his all. Although I do feel like he is doing nothing more than banging his head against a brick wall, at least he is giving it to Snyder by not quitting. (I just hope they don't force him to quit after the Eagles game. Fire him if you must, but pay the man for trying to ruin his coaching career.)

Zorn will always be a guy that I root for. He has my respect win or lose. Ultimately, I want what is best for this team first, but I hope Zorn get another chance soon.

SkinFanatic 10-22-2009 10:44 PM

Re: Let's Give Jim Zorn Some Love!

Actually, I have to agree with this. Maybe not the part about him being a great coach someday, but he's definitely earned my respect in one sense. It would be really hard for anyone not to cave to their own instincts and tell the Danny to shove it, but he's playing it cool and walking away with the cash.....smart man,

He'll get his chance somewhere else as a coordinator and I wish him the best. As long as it's not with the Cowboys.

skinsfaninok 10-22-2009 10:53 PM

Zorn was put in a tough spot, blame that on vc but jz is not fit to be a hc in the NFL. According to some ppl, his players don't respect him. He's a "players coach " and that just don't work in pro sports. He has no control or dicipline. I like him and hope he gets another shot with a real owner but I doubt he will

saden1 10-22-2009 10:54 PM

As much I despise Zorn he doesn't deserve this sort of treatment. Go to hell Danny, go to hell.

SFREDSKIN 10-22-2009 10:57 PM

I like Zorn and feel for him. He was put in a position to fail, hired as an OC and then promoted to coach when everyone else turned down Danny and Vinny. We didn't bitch when he went 6-2, only after he went 2-6 did people soured on him. The team GM's job is to bring the players and it's obvious that he wasn't provided the OL necessary to succeed.

GusFrerotte 10-22-2009 11:00 PM

[quote=skinsguy;614242]Let's face it. There probably isn't a coach in the NFL right now who could stand up to the pressure and the situation that Jim Zorn is in currently. Zorn is a great guy. A great Christian guy who is well respected around the league, at least as a former QB and a QB coach. He is in a no win situation. Has a bingo caller calling plays for goodness sake! He was in over his head as soon as he was hired as head coach.

I still think Jim Zorn is going to be a great coach in the league when it comes time and when he is in the right situation. This is obviously not the right situation for any coach. Despite the collapse the team is in (and while I think Zorn shoulders blame, he is not the only reason by far) I have to give an hats off to Zorn for at least doing everything he possibly can. I really hate it for the guy. I know there are plenty on here who will say good riddance and rightfully so. But unlike Steve Spurrier, Zorn is giving it his all. Although I do feel like he is doing nothing more than banging his head against a brick wall, at least he is giving it to Snyder by not quitting. (I just hope they don't force him to quit after the Eagles game. Fire him if you must, but pay the man for trying to ruin his coaching career.)

Zorn will always be a guy that I root for. He has my respect win or lose. Ultimately, I want what is best for this team first, but I hope Zorn get another chance soon.[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. Guy was put in almost a no win situation. THe personnel he had didn't fit his scheme he had. His FO failed him come draft time with having no real solid plan put in place to help the guy succeed. I will be a Zorn admirer even though I don't think the WCO will work in the NFC East. This is the same type of situation why I like Frerotte.

GMScud 10-22-2009 11:04 PM

[quote=skinsguy;614242]Let's face it. There probably isn't a coach in the NFL right now who could stand up to the pressure and the situation that Jim Zorn is in currently. Zorn is a great guy. A great Christian guy who is well respected around the league, at least as a former QB and a QB coach. He is in a no win situation. Has a bingo caller calling plays for goodness sake! He was in over his head as soon as he was hired as head coach.

Zorn will always be a guy that I root for. He has my respect win or lose. Ultimately, I want what is best for this team first, but I hope Zorn get another chance soon.[/quote]

Great post, great thread.

I totally agree. Zorn is a very good offensive mind, and a very good guy. And you're right, he's working his tail off and you can tell he's upset it's not going well. The way the players have stood up for him as vocally as they have really says something.

He was dumped into a tough situation, and I think the ass backwards way in which he was hired hurt his chances (Cerrato arbitrarily deciding the Skins were going to switch to the WCO without having players/coaches in place to install it).

Sure, he's in over his head right now as a head coach, but it's definitely not a "good riddance" situation. He's probably better suited as position coach or OC for now, but to borrow a Parcells' term, he wasn't shopping for the groceries. The shopper has jacked things up pretty good. Not to say Jim isn't blameless. He's made some pretty bad blunders as well. But this is about SO MUCH more than Zorn.

I hate that it's gone this way for Jim here. I wish the man all the success in the world.

sportscurmudgeon 10-22-2009 11:10 PM

The Skins organization - - the folks who have nothing whatsoever to do with preparing to play football games or actually playing football games - - is full out seeking to get Jim Zorn to do one of two things:

1. Resign.

2. Do something that can be legally asserted to be "insubordinate".

If Zorn does either of those two things, it could cost him as much as $4.2M in severance pay. Do not be fooled by the idea that Danny Boy is so rich that this trivial sum of money would stand in the way of him doing whatever he wants to do. What he REALLY wants to do is to get rid of his coach AND not pay off the rest of the contract that he is liable for.

Jim Zorn really did need some time as an offensive coordinator before he took a shot at a head coaching position but if someone waved a deal in front of me worth a tad north of $6M to become coach of the Wheeling Whatevers, you can be sure I'd give it a shot. For the record, I would be a flipping disaster as the head coach of any football team - - even at the Pop Warner level. But you can put that $6M in my bank account and I'll leave the coaching profession with a smile on my face and VIP treatment at my bank.

Jim Zorn has not been successful as the head coach here. Part of that is his lack of full qualifications for the position - - but that blame has to be shared with the folks who hired him for the job in the first place.

Jim Zorn is twisting in the wind. However, if he keeps his cool, he will be compensated for having twisted in the wind.

Between now and January 2010, you are watching a poker game where the stakes of the game are in the range of $4M... Enjoy.

SFREDSKIN 10-22-2009 11:19 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;614256]The Skins organization - - the folks who have nothing whatsoever to do with preparing to play football games or actually playing football games - - is full out seeking to get Jim Zorn to do one of two things:

1. Resign.

2. Do something that can be legally asserted to be "insubordinate".[/quote]

Yep, everything done to him is to force him to resign. Kinda like getting put on a PIP at work. I'm glad he's walking out with $4mil in his pocket and a giant middle finger pointed at management. Snyder and Cerrato think that they are so slick that nobody will notice, boy were they wrong. They are being ridiculed from coast to coast, who the hell wants to work for these clowns? I guess they figure money talks, pretty ironic that the money that talks they want back.

Paintrain 10-22-2009 11:30 PM

Good thread. I like that Zorn has been classy throughout this mess. Not that we'd expect anything less but while he acknowledges he knows what's going on and understands he's done, he is still being a complete professional about everything.

He's a bad coach, but a good man and that's really more important.

The Goat 10-22-2009 11:42 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;614257]Yep, everything done to him is to force him to resign. Kinda like getting put on a PIP at work. [B]I'm glad he's walking out with $4mil in his pocket and a giant middle finger pointed at management. [/B]Snyder and Cerrato think that they are so slick that nobody will notice, boy were they wrong. They are being ridiculed from coast to coast, who the hell wants to work for these clowns? I guess they figure money talks, pretty ironic that the money that talks they want back.[/quote]

LOL well said. Zorn deserves respect but he's no NFL HC. Things like clock/time-out mgmt are all on him, as is a good share of the anemic offense and totally predictable play-calling.

...I hope he gets another job w/ Holmgren or something after he takes more of lil D's cash :)

DBUCHANON101 10-22-2009 11:56 PM

At least he is sticking it out. he easily could have quit. NOONE would have blamed him.

Kalisto2010 10-23-2009 12:08 AM

During our 6-2 run last year his play calling was effing brilliant. I'm still bewildered as to how everything fell apart for him.

skinsfaninok 10-23-2009 12:55 AM

[quote=Kalisto2010;614273]During our 6-2 run last year his play calling was effing brilliant. I'm still bewildered as to how everything fell apart for him.[/quote]

Two things come to mind man because you are right, last yr we were actually pretty good on offense until CP slowed down, and that's one of my reasons for this yr's JOKE Offense. The other is JC, lets face it ppl, this guy just isn't any good, last yr was a fluke 8 games for him because our D was really good and we were a solid rushing team, when JC needs to step up and make plays to win games, he can't do it.

DBUCHANON101 10-23-2009 04:03 AM

Largent's quotes are obviously very personal. He sees a close friend and former teammate going through a painful situation and wants to fight for him. And I don't blame the guy one bit. The part of the interview, though, that makes Snyder and Cerrato look the worst is where Largent indicates that one of them actually pulled out Zorn's contract to show him he had to go along with their foolish plan -- if he wanted to remain employed.

"They went to the point of pulling out his contract and saying, 'You have got to do whatever the owner tells you to do,'" Largent said of Redskins management.

I just cringe when I think of a scenario in which Cerrato was flipping through pages of Zorn's contract. You sort of wonder if Snyder keeps a copy of the contract on his person at all times. As I've said more than once, I wish Zorn could just walk away from this mess.

But for now, he's going to hang in there and let Snyder and Cerrato continue to get blasted by the critics. The more I think about it, that's not a bad strategy.

Saw this on ESPN, I cant believe Zorn is still here.

joethiesmanfan 10-23-2009 06:38 AM

On a personal, level Snyder is doing Zorn wrong. this is business never personal. He getting waht 6 million? On a football level he getting paid for this crap on the field. He said he could win with Jason. He said he would fix the passing game. He has done neither. Bye Zorn!

tryfuhl 10-23-2009 06:57 AM

[quote=joethiesmanfan;614302]On a personal, level Snyder is doing Zorn wrong. this is business never personal. He getting waht 6 million? On a football level he getting paid for this crap on the field. He said he could win with Jason. He said he would fix the passing game. He has done neither. Bye Zorn![/quote]
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/11u83td.gif[/IMG]

tryfuhl 10-23-2009 06:57 AM

[quote=Kalisto2010;614273]During our 6-2 run last year his play calling was effing brilliant. I'm still bewildered as to how everything fell apart for him.[/quote]
running game, film on his game, etc

Chico23231 10-23-2009 07:27 AM

No love, just a swift kick in the ass out the door

tryfuhl 10-23-2009 07:51 AM

so it was horny for zorny

now just a common booty call?

CrustyRedskin 10-23-2009 08:02 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;614305]running game, film on his game, etc[/quote]

As am I wondering how we went from 6-2 to WTF!!!! We were all feeling cozy and Zorny!!!! Lets hear it "three cheers for the Redskins"!!!!!!!! Man that was a great 6-2 run!!!

SmootSmack 10-23-2009 08:05 AM

I feel bad for Zorn. I feel bad for anyone who knows they are about to get fired at any minute and people are talking and blogging about it. I've kind of been there (on a much smaller scale).

That said, it's not like he should be free of any blame in this. It was his call to name Sherman Smith the offensive coordinator, a man with no experience at calling plays. Zorn is the one who insisted that he could wear multiple hats. And up until recently Zorn rarely took much blame for anything. It was always "I called the right play" Well maybe you did, but would it hurt to sometimes just bite the bullet. I'm sure there were times you called the wrong play but the players bailed you out. In fact, I think that happened last year against the Saints if I recall correctly.

I don't know Zorn but I'm sure he's a great guy and will continue to be a good coach in the NFL, though maybe he's not suited to be a head coach. To me though, there is no one (short of Ethan Albright) who can be absolved of blame in this mess.

irish 10-23-2009 08:10 AM

I was wondering how you know Zorn is a "great Christian guy". I have never heard him talk about religion or talk about praying the way Gibbs did.

At this point in his career he's not going to be confused with Vince Lombardi but nobody deserves to be treated the way this organization's mgmt has treated him. Its a classless move from a classless guy.

MTK 10-23-2009 08:15 AM

He seems like a great guy but he's simply not getting it done. He's in over his head and while it's not all his fault, I don't like the idea of completely absolving him and placing all the blame on Snyder and Cerrato.

mredskins 10-23-2009 08:17 AM

[quote=skinsguy;614242]Let's face it. There probably isn't a coach in the NFL right now who could stand up to the pressure and the situation that Jim Zorn is in currently. Zorn is a great guy. [B]A great Christian guy[/B] who is well respected around the league, at least as a former QB and a QB coach. He is in a no win situation. Has a bingo caller calling plays for goodness sake! He was in over his head as soon as he was hired as head coach.

What is the difference between a good guy and a good Christain guy? Don't understand why religon had to come into play.

MTK 10-23-2009 08:17 AM

[quote=irish;614317]I was wondering how you know Zorn is a "great Christian guy". I have never heard him talk about religion or talk about praying the way Gibbs did.

At this point in his career he's not going to be confused with Vince Lombardi but nobody deserves to be treated the way this organization's mgmt has treated him. Its a classless move from a classless guy.[/quote]

He is (not sure why that really matters), but he's mentioned it here and there.

BrunellMVP? 10-23-2009 08:21 AM

good man with integrity, just in way over his head (he's panicky on the sidelines). Unfortunately, nobody could win with this team.

KI Skins Fan 10-23-2009 08:32 AM

[quote=Paintrain;614258]Good thread. I like that Zorn has been classy throughout this mess. Not that we'd expect anything less but while he acknowledges he knows what's going on and understands he's done, he is still being a complete professional about everything.

He's a bad coach, but a good man and that's really more important. [/quote]

I completely agree with you. Jim Zorn must know he will eventually be fired. So, right now, he is trying to do the job he was hired to do while looking out for the financial future of his family and trying to maintain some dignity. I admire him for that.

mredskins 10-23-2009 08:39 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;614320]He is (not sure why that really matters), but he's mentioned it here and there.[/quote]

The reason it matters is the Born Agains won't recoginze you as a "good guy" unless you are a Christian.

irish 10-23-2009 08:48 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;614320]He is (not sure why that really matters), but he's mentioned it here and there.[/quote]

Ok. I dont know why it matters either and didnt see the point of including it in the first place except for the reason mredskins said.

CRedskinsRule 10-23-2009 08:51 AM

Is it love? or is it the kiss of death?
[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2009/10/23/friday-october-23-vinny-cerrato-endorses-jim-zorn/]Friday, October 23: Vinny Cerrato Endorses Jim Zorn[/url]

joethiesmanfan 10-23-2009 09:44 AM

At the end of the 6-2 run, the Pittsburgh game. I knew he was over thinking. Pittsburgh overloaded one side of the line of scrimmage. 4 weeks later teams were still overloading one side of the line of scrimmage. Against Baltimore we completed a wide receiver screen to Moss for over 50 yards. After that play, no other team treid that strategy. Now other coaches learned from that one play, but it seems Jim is not up to snuff when it comes to strategy. How can you be confused by a defensive strategy for a whole month? Especially when the answer is a play your team is familliar running. Over thinking, why take teh WR screen out the game plan it's there to dictate formations and coverages to the defense. You can't run an NFL offense using the connect the dot method.

CrustyRedskin 10-23-2009 10:32 AM

We havnt used the slip screen game since Gibbs 06 our playoff run. Its crazy, we used to split Cooley out and throw him some slip screens.

KLHJ2 10-23-2009 10:41 AM

I am not going to say that I do not think that Zorn has not made some mistakes, but I do not believe that he should have ever been put on the hot seat like this. He is going through some growing pains of being a head coach in the NFL. Everyone does unless you just inherit a good football team. This guy's shot at what could have been a promising head coaching career is now in jeapordy because of the impatience of an unrealistic fan base and a poor organizational operations structure.

Whatever, it is what it is and I cannot change it. I just think that it is shitty.

SBXVII 10-23-2009 11:10 AM

Nope, no love. Hope he's gone at seasons end.

SBXVII 10-23-2009 11:11 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;614336]Is it love? or is it the kiss of death?
[URL="http://blog.redskins.com/2009/10/23/friday-october-23-vinny-cerrato-endorses-jim-zorn/"]Friday, October 23: Vinny Cerrato Endorses Jim Zorn[/URL][/quote]

VC Endorses Zorn? funny. LOL.....why did he take his play calling abilities if he thinks Zorn should remain for now and the future. LOL>

skinsguy 10-23-2009 11:58 AM

[quote=mredskins;614328]The reason it matters is the Born Agains won't recoginze you as a "good guy" unless you are a Christian.[/quote]

Do you really have to start that crap up? Because honestly, as a born again Christian, I can testify that you're absolutely wrong. I know of plenty of great, outstanding people who are not Christians. I also happen to know several not so good people who call themselves Christians. And, since Zorn himself has stated that he is a Christian, then from the evidence I have seen, he a good man, and appears to be a good Christian man. I'm not going to get into a religious debate, because I think you're doing nothing more than trying to hijack a perfectly good thread. However, I will just say this and I am not going to speak of it again. As a Christian, there are values taught to us that we must live by. Very tough values that may or may not always be taught in the secular world. And by observing what Jim Zorn has been going through, it takes clinging to those Christian values to keep your sanity and to keep your wits about yourself. Despite how Zorn has been treated, I am surprised he hasn't given up and called Vinny and Dan every name in the book. It's a strong willed man to not break down, and I respect Jim Zorn for that.

As a head coach, he is obviously not head coach material just yet. He needs time to develop as a play caller before he ever moves up the latter again. But, the way he has carried himself, although at times appears to be kind of a "golly gee" type of personality, he has that likable personality. I can't help but to like the guy and root for him. Certainly if all possible I wouldn't want him to fail in Washington, but it's obvious even if the Redskins start winning again and win the rest of the games of this season, Zorn probably wouldn't get any credit for it (would be all given to the bingo caller!)

MTK 10-23-2009 12:03 PM

[quote=skinsguy;614462]Do you really have to start that crap up? Because honestly, as a born again Christian, I can testify that you're absolutely wrong. I know of plenty of great, outstanding people who are not Christians. I also happen to know several not so good people who call themselves Christians. And, since Zorn himself has stated that he is a Christian, then from the evidence I have seen, he a good man, and appears to be a good Christian man. I'm not going to get into a religious debate, because I think you're doing nothing more than trying to hijack a perfectly good thread. However, I will just say this and I am not going to speak of it again. As a Christian, there are values taught to us that we must live by. Very tough values that may or may not always be taught in the secular world. And by observing what Jim Zorn has been going through, it takes clinging to those Christian values to keep your sanity and to keep your wits about yourself. Despite how Zorn has been treated, I am surprised he hasn't given up and called Vinny and Dan every name in the book. It's a strong willed man to not break down, and I respect Jim Zorn for that.

As a head coach, he is obviously not head coach material just yet. He needs time to develop as a play caller before he ever moves up the latter again. But, the way he has carried himself, although at times appears to be kind of a "golly gee" type of personality, he has that likable personality. I can't help but to like the guy and root for him. Certainly if all possible I wouldn't want him to fail in Washington, but it's obvious even if the Redskins start winning again and win the rest of the games of this season, Zorn probably wouldn't get any credit for it (would be all given to the bingo caller!)[/quote]

Why include it in your original post then? You had to have known it was going to a point of discussion. Sorry but you kind of opened the door for it.

SmootSmack 10-23-2009 12:04 PM

We're not turning this thread into a thread about good Christians or bad Christians

But for now, let's all hold hands and sing some...

[YT]qilMbQ563wE[/YT]

skinsguy 10-23-2009 12:06 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;614465]We're not turning this thread into a thread about good Christians or bad Christians

But for now, let's all hold hands and sing some...

[YT]qilMbQ563wE[/YT][/quote]

LOL! I actually saw them in concert a few weeks ago!