Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sherman Lewis, what was his effect (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33007)

CRedskinsRule 10-27-2009 09:11 AM

Sherman Lewis, what was his effect

First, if the mods want to merge this, it's all good.

I really want to ask the biggest underlying question: How much of yesterday's game, good and bad, were tied to the introduction of Sherman Lewis. Some key examples that I would cite:

Rock/Betts together in the backfield more.
DT specifically thrown at more
Shotgun at the 2 - good and bad plays out of it.

Maybe less specific but also:
more confusion in the pass pro, without Zorn in his ear did Campbell miss setting assignments

Also was the playcalling better, or just different?
It seemed to me that player execution was noticeably worse. Particularly Campbell early. and middle. and late.

So, bottom line, with the bye week here, and 2 weeks to reset this season. What did bringing Lewis in impact? Will his presence be an overall positive, negative, or I don't give an eff, throw me another beer? (Trample, I know your answer :) )

redsk1 10-27-2009 09:15 AM

Re: Sherman Lewis, what was his effect

I thought the playcalling was fine. It may have actually been better than recent weeks imo. Execution on the other hand was lacking in the OL and QB.

freddyg12 10-27-2009 09:19 AM

I don't think we can attribute DT's role solely to Lewis. Zorn had said a few weeks ago that they were trying to get him involved & obviously he'd put him in the starting lineup v. KC.

I did like the shotgun inside the 5. that play to Davis was a td if campbell can just hold on a split second longer to get off an accurate throw. Totally a great call though.

Were the pass pro problems more related to assignments or simply that Davis & Heyer couldn't block their guys? (on the bright side, I didn't see MW's man getting pressure, he appears to be playing fairly well)

freddyg12 10-27-2009 09:21 AM

oh, one thing that killed me w/the playcalling: a couple of the sacks were on 2nd & long, and we called play action. By the time JC was turned around to throw the iggles were all over him. That seemed poor play calling to me; the iggles had no reason to respect our run game, they stopped it all night. To run play action you generally have to have some success running first. We didn't have any.

davy 10-27-2009 09:24 AM

I thought the playcalling was hugely improved.

Execution, hmmm....

Zorn needs to be relieved of [B]all[/B] responsibilities, he is clearly an idiot.

MTK 10-27-2009 09:26 AM

Play calling wasn't an issue and honestly I didn't see where it impacted things positively or negatively. The main issue is, and has been all year with the execution side of things.

You can call plays directly from a Bill Walsh playbook but it's not going to matter if the players don't go out and do their jobs.

Chico23231 10-27-2009 09:29 AM

Playcalling I thought was a little better, but JC, Heyer, Rabach, ARE, Montgomery, Williams are all horrible. I thought JC's play was maybe the sh*test I have ever seen him. HE IS NOT IMPROVING. The execution was garbage. I just cant stand ARE, put him on the sh*t FA list under DS's reign of terror. That was another waste of F-ing money. God how bad can this FO be? Its the f*cking horrible.

MdBluefinCrab 10-27-2009 09:34 AM

Decent play calling, lousy o-line, lousy QB and no sense of urgency with this team.
I'm sure Snyder will fix things during the bye week and we'll be on the road to the division title, the playoffs, etc.
Yeah, Snyder the genius does it again.

tryfuhl 10-27-2009 09:36 AM

[quote=freddyg12;616876]I don't think we can attribute DT's role solely to Lewis. Zorn had said a few weeks ago that they were trying to get him involved & obviously he'd put him in the starting lineup v. KC.

I did like the shotgun inside the 5. that play to Davis was a td if campbell can just hold on a split second longer to get off an accurate throw. Totally a great call though.

Were the pass pro problems more related to assignments or simply that Davis & Heyer couldn't block their guys? (on the bright side, I didn't see MW's man getting pressure, he appears to be playing fairly well)[/quote]

Zorn has said he wanted to get DT more involved every week since last year man. He also said that he's been calling plays that use Thomas just to occupy a defender.. maybe that had something to do with the gameplan, which I'm sure that Lewis has been an integral part of.

With Davis I think that Campbell usually looked at those routes for Cooley so it was easy for him to get the ball to Davis.

skinsguy 10-27-2009 09:38 AM

I thought the play calling was good. The execution is horrible! And honestly, if the execution had been there all year 'round, Zorn would probably still be calling plays.

BleedBurgundy 10-27-2009 09:52 AM

Play calling was not an issue. Players need to play and our main guys are not that good. I'm starting to really turn on Portis. And JC... for god's sake man... just sit down.

rbanerjee23 10-27-2009 10:01 AM

JC wasn't great but he wasn't garbage, the tackles are so bad that if you put Peyton Manning in there he would have had only a marginally better game...I don't think you can put the blame on JC, last year when the OL was decent he had a decent first half, this is just a continuation of the second half of last season when the OL was just god awful

SmootSmack 10-27-2009 10:08 AM

Nice use of the word effect, CRed ;)

I thought the playcalling was fine for the most part. There was one play, which in the grand scheme was minor, but that I thought could have and should have been called differently.

17-0 Eagles early in the 2nd quarter and Rock has a great return to our own 40 yard line. Eagles get a penalty and that tacks on another 15 yards. So now we're in Eagles territory. Just had a great return and some nice yards off a penalty added on. I would have gone play action deep pass right there, instead of 2 yards up the middle by Portis. I understand not wanting to deviate from a game plan but we had a bit of a momentum in that instant and I think we should have attacked.

Otherwise, I thought Lewis did just fine.

tryfuhl 10-27-2009 10:12 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;616941]Nice use of the word effect, CRed ;)

I thought the playcalling was fine for the most part. There was one play, which in the grand scheme was minor, but that I thought could have and should have been called differently.

17-0 Eagles early in the 2nd quarter and Rock has a great return to our own 40 yard line. Eagles get a penalty and that tacks on another 15 yards. So now we're in Eagles territory. Just had a great return and some nice yards off a penalty added on. I would have gone play action deep pass right there, instead of 2 yards up the middle by Portis. I understand not wanting to deviate from a game plan but we had a bit of a momentum in that instant and I think we should have attacked.

Otherwise, I thought Lewis did just fine.[/quote]

Yep, I remember right at that point going "Okay, take a shot at it, right where you want to have this opportunity"

Brikks 10-27-2009 10:18 AM

I wasn't able to watch the entire game, but seeing Davis and Thomas involved in the offense is enough for me to endorse Sherm.

Anyone else feel like JC could have been a different player if he had a different offensive line (even under Gibbs I recall our O-line not being that great in pass pro).

Kind of like how I always felt about Ramsey. At first he had courage, stood strong in the pocket and delivered his passes while taking hits. But he just got beat up after a while behind Spurrier's whacky schemes and got shell shocked.

I really think that taking so many hits and having no confidence in the offensive line will pretty much ruin a young QB and his development.