Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   How to stop smoking? (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/33058-how-to-stop-smoking.html)

Trample the Elderly 10-29-2009 12:18 PM

How to stop smoking?

Yeah, since I'll not have the Redskins to piss me off this weekend, I think this will be a good time to quit.

I've quit twice before: Once in boot camp, and the second time when I lived in Cali.

What's the best way to quit when everyone's blowing smoke in your face? I'm not hip to the patch, but I'm not closed to it either.

What Sayeth the Mob?

Mattyk 10-29-2009 12:23 PM

Re: How to stop smoking?

I quit 11 years ago. No magic formula, I just quit cold turkey, suffered through the first 2 weeks and was a real ass to be around, but I got through it. If you really want it you can do it. It's all about will power.

C'mon Trample make a play!

drew54 10-29-2009 12:23 PM

I quit smoking by avoiding the bars for a few weeks. Then as fate would have it, I started chewing tobacco as my crowd of friends were into that. I quit both now by just saying no.

drew54 10-29-2009 12:25 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;618139]I quit 11 years ago. No magic formula, I just quit cold turkey, suffered through the first 2 weeks and was a real ass to be around, but I got through it. If you really want it you can do it. It's all about will power.

C'mon Trample make a play![/quote]

Just so you know it takes 10 years for you body to fully heal from your last cigarette. You should at the same risk level for heart disease as a person who never smoked in their life!

I still have 8 years to go.

Trample the Elderly 10-29-2009 12:25 PM

[quote=drew54;618141]I quit smoking by avoiding the bars for a few weeks. Then as fate would have it, I started chewing tobacco as my crowd of friends were into that. I quit both now by just saying no.[/quote]

I quit chewing tobacco too.

saden1 10-29-2009 12:26 PM

I quit cold turkey by looking at [URL="http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=smoking%20lung&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi"]these pics[/URL].

GMScud 10-29-2009 12:35 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;618136]Yeah, since I'll not have the Redskins to piss me off this weekend, I think this will be a good time to quit.

I've quit twice before: Once in boot camp, and the second time when I lived in Cali.

What's the best way to quit when everyone's blowing smoke in your face? I'm not hip to the patch, but I'm not closed to it either.

What Sayeth the Mob?[/quote]

I smoked a pack a day for about 2 years when I was 20-21 years old. One morning I got up to have my morning cig, and it made me sick. Literally. I stopped right then and didn't touch another cigarette for a long time. Nowadays if I'm out drinking I'll have an occasional smoke, but I never smoke at home. Plus it helps that my finacee says her biggest turnoff is guys who smoke. I'd say I probably have 4 or 5 cigs a month. I'm not too worried about that health-wise, but I told her when we get married in June I'll totally drop it.

Why is everyone blowing smoke in your face? Do you work in a bar or something?

Trample the Elderly 10-29-2009 12:37 PM

[quote=GMScud;618156]I smoked a pack a day for about 2 years when I was 20-21 years old. One morning I got up to have my morning cig, and it made me sick. Literally. I stopped right then and didn't touch another cigarette for a long time. Nowadays if I'm out drinking I'll have an occasional smoke, but I never smoke at home. Plus it helps that my finacee says her biggest turnoff is guys who smoke. I'd say I probably have 4 or 5 cigs a month. I'm not too worried about that health-wise, but I told her when we get married in June I'll totally drop it.

Why is everyone blowing smoke in your face? Do you work in a bar or something?[/quote]

My people smoke.

GMScud 10-29-2009 12:41 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;618157]My people smoke.[/quote]

Do any of your people have any desire to quit? Maybe a team effort would help as far as supporting each other.

BDBohnzie 10-29-2009 12:45 PM

I know of a few people who used Chantix and have not picked a cigarette up since.

GhettoDogAllStars 10-29-2009 12:49 PM

I got sick with the flu when I was about 20, and couldn't even stand to be around cigarettes. When I recovered, I decided not to continue. That only lasted for 5 years, and I am smoking again. So, for me, getting sick really helped me quit.

Drew is right ... I was filling out an application for personal health insurance and of course it asked if I was a smoker. At the time I wasn't, but it said if you have smoked within the past 10 years, then you are classified as an "Ex-Smoker". So, the choices were: Smoker, Ex-Smoker and Non-Smoker.

Trample the Elderly 10-29-2009 12:55 PM

[quote=GMScud;618158]Do any of your people have any desire to quit? Maybe a team effort would help as far as supporting each other.[/quote]

I'll probably have to move away from them.

firstdown 10-29-2009 01:02 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;618162]I know of a few people who used Chantix and have not picked a cigarette up since.[/quote]

Chantix works. I stopped for about a 1 1/2 months using Chantix and when I went on a guys week golfing started back (yea I'm a dumb ass). I have some now and I'm going to quit after the football season. I really don't smoke much durn the week unless I'm drinking and my biggest hurddle is on the weekends when I enjoy a few adult drinks. Last time I quit I also quit drinking for a few weeks to help with the urge. I'm not one of those people who plan their life around smoking and most of the restaurants we go to are smoke free which does not bother me. I actually perfer going to a smoke free restaurant when going out for a nice dinner.

KLHJ2 10-29-2009 01:07 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;618162]I know of a few people who used Chantix and have not picked a cigarette up since.[/quote]

I know some people that used Chantix and have not picked themselves up since.

[url=http://www.youhavealawyer.com/blog/2009/07/02/black-box-chantix-and-zyban-suicide-warnings-ordered-by-fda/]Black Box Chantix and Zyban Suicide Warnings - Chantix Suicide Attorneys | Legal News & Updates Blog - Saiontz & Kirk[/url]

tryfuhl 10-29-2009 02:24 PM

Stop putting lit cigarettes in your mouth.