Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Google Voice (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33375)

Hijinx 11-13-2009 01:27 PM

Google Voice

Shot in the dark here, but does anyone use Google Voice and have an invite they can spare? The program looks way useful, but the wait is massive. I just bought a new Motorola Droid and I would love to be able to this app. If anyone could help me out with an invite I'd sure appreciate it. Just PM me. Thanks.

cpayne5 11-13-2009 08:34 PM

Re: Google Voice

I've got some. When Matty gives me the word that you've donated some money to the site, I'll give you one. Deal?

Just trying to help out TWP. :)

GMScud 11-13-2009 10:40 PM

I have the Google app for the iPhone, and it has the option of voice search. Is this the same thing? I must say the voice recognition is excellent. Nowhere on it do I see an option for inviting anyone.

saden1 11-13-2009 10:51 PM

[quote=GMScud;624736]I have the Google app for the iPhone, and it has the option of voice search. Is this the same thing? I must say the voice recognition is excellent. Nowhere on it do I see an option for inviting anyone.[/quote]

No, it's a Skype like service. Basically, it's an amazing phone service that allows you to have a phone number to centralize all your phones, make international calls, and it also has the ability transcribe voice messages into text. So far it's great and has better rates than Skype for international calls.

Oh and Apple is in trouble with the feds for banning Google to make the app available on the iPhone.

GMScud 11-13-2009 11:01 PM

[quote=saden1;624738]No, it's a Skype like service. Basically, it's an amazing phone service that allows you to have a phone number to centralize all your phones, make international calls, and it also has the ability transcribe voice messages into text. So far it's great and has better rates than Skype for international calls.

Oh and Apple is in trouble with the feds for banning Google to make the app available on the iPhone.[/quote]

Ahh, I see. After poking around I just read a few articles about that. Also, it seems like Google Latitude for the iPhone was pretty much crippled by Apple's insistence that it be run as a web app inside of Safari instead of a standalone application.

Seems like Apple's excuse of redundancy is a cop out for not wanting to be outdone. That said, I still love the iPhone.

Hijinx 11-14-2009 01:38 AM

[quote=cpayne5;624720]I've got some. When Matty gives me the word that you've donated some money to the site, I'll give you one. Deal?

Just trying to help out TWP. :)[/quote]

Done, honestly I was meaning to give anyway. this gives me twice the reason.

tryfuhl 11-14-2009 01:39 AM

If I get an invite you'll be at the top of my queue

Hijinx 11-14-2009 01:41 AM

[quote=GMScud;624739]Ahh, I see. After poking around I just read a few articles about that. Also, it seems like Google Latitude for the iPhone was pretty much crippled by Apple's insistence that it be run as a web app inside of Safari instead of a standalone application.

Seems like Apple's excuse of redundancy is a cop out for not wanting to be outdone. That said, I still love the iPhone.[/quote]

You can still find uses for google voice with an iphone. For example if you get a google number you can get it to ring all your phones, (work, home, cell, etc). I need it so I can give it purveyors and at certain times of the day or week I can just direct all calls to work or straight to voicemail.

BDBohnzie 11-16-2009 01:45 PM

I'm patiently awaiting portability, so I can port my home (vonage) phone number over...if it ever happens.

cpayne5 11-16-2009 02:13 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;626265]I'm patiently awaiting portability, so I can port my home (vonage) phone number over...if it ever happens.[/quote]

Me too.