Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gruden to Return to ESPN (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33430)

SmootSmack 11-16-2009 01:29 PM

Re: Gruden to Return to ESPN

My top notch Gruden source reminds me that he's told me for weeks now Gruden's not coming here. I had my doubts briefly though. I don't the specifics of his deal off-hand but an out before the end of next season is very unlikely.

Snyder will, I'm sure, make another very strong push for Shanahan (which means Kyle Shanahan and Bob Slowik as well probably).

Cowher is always a name that's floated around, but I think Snyder has kind of cooled on him

I've never heard Billick's name mentioned quite honestly, but I just have a feeling about him

Mooch's name is often floated around but I think that's more so because he (and Bruce Allen) seem to "consult" often with the Redskins front office. But he really doesn't want to leave the west coast if he doesn't have to.

Ruhskins 11-16-2009 01:29 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;626247][B]Zorn may well be here cause who wants to work for Snyder?[/B] Jim Fassell maybe but I don't think any of the high profile coordinators or ex coaches would ever come here.[/quote]

I think it's been established by people that know more than you and I that this is not an issue.

SBXVII 11-16-2009 01:35 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;626038]Crazy thought here, but what if the team somehow manages to pull it together down the stretch and finish around .500? Do we still dump Zorn?[/quote]

This would piss me off. Yes. If anything at all....if DS is thinking this aint too bad, ....keep Sherm Lewis who is doing his best to fix this cluster.

Even though he has/is going to sign an agreement with ESPN, usually there is a clause in the contract which states that if they get picked up by a team to be their HC they can leave with out any problems. So Gruden is still possibly on the table. It just shows he's happy where he is and most likely wants to make sure he is still getting paid unless the right HCing job comes along.

Beemnseven 11-16-2009 01:47 PM

Wow -- there's a lot of hate for Mike Shanahan apparently. I don't really see why, the man has a 138-86 record in Denver, a .615 winning percentage in the playoffs, and two shiney Lombardi trophies.

People will say that he couldn't win championships without Elway. But for a long time there were coaches that couldn't win [I]with[/I] Elway. If you look at his record in Denver, he had two losing seasons; 6-10 in 1999, and 7-9 in 2007 which was sandwiched in between 9-7 in '06, and 8-8 in his final year there.

So at worst, the Broncos fell into mediocrity in his last three seasons.

I really don't get how Mike Shanahan takes such a big hit around here.

SmootSmack 11-16-2009 01:57 PM

Shanahan's rep as a front office exec is highly questionable at best. Also, because of his failures in the front office his teams barely scraped by in a relatively weak division (in my opinion).

Also, it seems like a lock that he will bring in Slowik as DC and his son as Assistant Head Coach-OC. I like Kyle, not totally sold on Slowik.

Either way, as a head coach I think Shanahan is one of the better ones out there. But if he came here we're most likely talking about bringing him in to be in charge of our personnel as well...which I'm not as comfortable with.

Dirtbag59 11-16-2009 02:30 PM

[quote=Paintrain;626152]But logically Zorn would have to be gone before Snyder can attempt to land a coach like you previously named. I wonder if we'd even be having the 'what if' discussion if Denver would have blown our doors off yesterday.
[/quote]

Snyder is like a monkey swinging from tree to tree. He won't let go of one branch until he has hold of another.

BigHairedAristocrat 11-16-2009 02:34 PM

According to Keim, Snyder doesn't want Cowher, not the other way around - which is strange, because i feel he is, by far, the #1 HC prospect out there. I wonder if Cowher has said something publicaly or privately that bruised Snyders ego or something. Keim also agrees that Gruden is out of consideration.

[url=http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/What-Grudens-deal-means-for-Redskins-70193777.html]What Gruden's deal means for Redskins | Washington Examiner[/url]

Holmgren has removed himself from consideration, so at this point, shanahan is really the only guy out there that we have a chance of getting... and i don't like that one bit. Our options really are very very limited right now. I don't know why Billick and Mooch are even in consideration. They'd both be worse than Zorn.

redsk1 11-16-2009 02:37 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;626051]Dallas is a strong candidate for Shanahan. But I wouldn't sleep on San Diego.[/quote]

Possibly, but SD is playing well now, 6-3, just having beaten a quality tema in the Eagles.

redsk1 11-16-2009 02:44 PM

Not that MS is my first choice but I'd be happy w/ him. He's a proven winner. His teams always can run the ball and generally had a pretty decent defense. We could do alot worse.

As long as VC is gone and we have someone his position that we can trust to make wise football decisions i'm ok w/ it. I'd rather go young, w/ someone like Kyle S or B Schott, but if it's Mike Shanahan i'm ok.

SBXVII 11-16-2009 02:54 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;626249]My top notch Gruden source reminds me that he's told me for weeks now Gruden's not coming here. I had my doubts briefly though. I don't the specifics of his deal off-hand but an out before the end of next season is very unlikely.

Snyder will, I'm sure, make another very strong push for Shanahan (which means Kyle Shanahan and Bob Slowik as well probably).

Cowher is always a name that's floated around, but I think Snyder has kind of cooled on him

I've never heard Billick's name mentioned quite honestly, but I just have a feeling about him

Mooch's name is often floated around but I think that's more so because he (and Bruce Allen) seem to "consult" often with the Redskins front office. But he really doesn't want to leave the west coast if he doesn't have to.[/quote]

I still wouldn't rule out Gruden even though I don't want him. But a Holmgren/Gruden team might be interesting. I just don't see Holmgren being the type to put DS in his place if he meddles too much.

I get the feeling there is some deal already in place for Shanahan. Just a feeling I have. Shanahan probably refused to take the job mid season saying he won't be able to fix it until off season when he can bring in his coach's he needs and wants and players for his system.

I thought Cowher might take the job sense his daughter went to like George Mason or something like that. He would be relatively close for any activities she might be a part of but I think all that has cooled. I don't see him working for the Browns. He has a decent image and it's all over the Steelers, he would piss off a lot of people if he jumped ship to the Browns. I can see him heading west or working for a NFC team which would not be a Steeler rival. Perhaps Carolina which has been a topic of discussion.

Mooch. Hmm. Wasn't he interviewed for the job the last go around and eventually he stated he turned the opportunity down? Again I just don't see Mooch leaving the west coast and working for DS. Not a bad pick if he has the right help other wise pass.

Fassel is always a candidate. He is despirate to get back into football. Snubbed twice and I bet he would interview again for the job. It's not that I don't like him, it's just I don't like him. I never saw what he brought to the table for the Giants. I wondered through his yrs there why the Giants held on to him so long. Pass.

Billick. Honeslty he reminds me of Fassel. He might not tolerate being interviewed and snubbed even once but he always seemed to struggle with the Ravens offense. Oh their defenses were #1 but how much of that was his DC's doing. Billick just couldn't get an offense to take flight.

Ok so "if" my personal feeling about these candidates were remotely close, now who do we pick? I don't know. I have made no bones about who I think they should bring in but I also know they won't. Marty would put the prima dona's in their places and be able to tell DS he's not going to tolerate his meddling. Plus Marty is supposed to be good friends with him now since DS's wife had her breast cancer and Marty gave him a name of a good doctor. Both have the wives and cancer issues in common so their would be something in common. Having said that would DS actually eat crow and bring in Marty....most likely no. I'd be supprised if he did.

Other then that I don't know who would be a candidate. I guess getting the top notch GM would be better and letting him bring in a HC he knows he can count on.

skinsguy 11-16-2009 03:13 PM

I honestly thought it was a mistake getting rid of Marty S. in the first place. That was the type of structure the Redskins needed.

BigHairedAristocrat 11-16-2009 03:21 PM

[quote=skinsguy;626314]I honestly thought it was a mistake getting rid of Marty S. in the first place. That was the type of structure the Redskins needed.[/quote]

i'm positive we would have won atleast 1 superbowl if Snyder had stuck with marty for the past 10 years. by all accounts the man is arrogant and hard to get along with, but his record speaks for itself. i think if we had had some sort of "buffer" between marty and snyder things would have gone much differently than they have.

TheSmurfs22 11-16-2009 03:46 PM

I know we keep throwing around big names like Shanahan and Holmgren, do you all think there may be any dark horses?

Still need to get rid of Vinny if anything is going to start turning around.

skinsguy 11-16-2009 03:48 PM

[quote=TheSmurfs22;626336]I know we keep throwing around big names like Shanahan and Holmgren, do you all think there may be any dark horses?

Still need to get rid of Vinny if anything is going to start turning around.[/quote]

I think that's where a good Front Office person for a good eye for talent needs to be brought in so we can find those dark horse candidates.

SmootSmack 11-16-2009 04:14 PM

If the Front Office structure stayed relatively the same, then a potential sleeper candidate is Ron Meeks. Snyder supposedly really liked him last off-season.