Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   (Update) Bills Fire Jauron; Plan to Speak with Shanahan (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33463)

DBUCHANON101 11-18-2009 10:56 PM

re: (Update) Bills Fire Jauron; Plan to Speak with Shanahan

[quote=SmootSmack;627044]It needs to be eminent...or imminent?[/quote]

Ouch, you got me, i second guessed myself when i hit enter. too late.

SmootSmack 11-19-2009 07:03 AM

[quote=DBUCHANON101;627386]found this on ESPN Rumors

But might the Bills take a look to their rich AFL history to select the next head man? Several pundits -- including AFC East blogger Tim Graham -- have suggested that the team may go with Marty Schottenheimer, who was dumped by the Chargers after leading them to a 14-2 record in the 2007 season, and who played for the Bills in the 1960's.

An interesting angle to the Schottenheimer hire would be that it would open the door for him to hire his son, Brian Schottenheimer, as offensive coordinator -- a reverse of what Lane Kiffin did at the University of Tennessee in hiring his pops as the defensive coordinator. Brian was considered a leading candidate to take over as head coach of the New York Jets following the ouster of Eric Mangini, but the team eventually hired Rex Ryan, which did not sit well with Schottenheimer at the time. Going further with this hypothetical, we could foresee the Schottenheimers setting up a progression plan in Buffalo, where Marty would coach for a set period, then the team could have an easy transition to Brian[/quote]

The rumor is that a similar plan would happen with Shanahan here, whether he or somewhere else, with Mike and his son Kyle

Beemnseven 11-19-2009 07:32 AM

I heard yesterday that Wilson wants to meet with Mike Shanahan for the job.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4667849]Sources: Buffalo Bills contact Mike Shanahan about coaching opening - ESPN[/url]

SmootSmack 11-19-2009 07:39 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;627439]I heard yesterday that Wilson wants to meet with Mike Shanahan for the job.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4667849]Sources: Buffalo Bills contact Mike Shanahan about coaching opening - ESPN[/url][/quote]

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/627332-post24.html[/url]

(I'll update the thread title)

SBXVII 11-19-2009 09:20 AM

Re: (Update) Bills Fire Jauron; Plan to Speak with Shanahan

[quote=DBUCHANON101;627386]found this on ESPN Rumors

But might the Bills take a look to their rich AFL history to select the next head man? Several pundits -- including AFC East blogger Tim Graham -- have suggested that [B]the team may go with Marty Schottenheimer[/B], who was dumped by the Chargers after leading them to a 14-2 record in the 2007 season, and who played for the Bills in the 1960's.

An interesting angle to the Schottenheimer hire would be that [B]it would open the door for him to hire his son, Brian Schottenheimer, as offensive coordinator --[/B] a reverse of what Lane Kiffin did at the University of Tennessee in hiring his pops as the defensive coordinator. Brian was considered a leading candidate to take over as head coach of the New York Jets following the ouster of Eric Mangini, but the team eventually hired Rex Ryan, which did not sit well with Schottenheimer at the time. Going further with this hypothetical, we could foresee the Schottenheimers setting up a progression plan in Buffalo, where Marty would coach for a set period, then the team could have an easy transition to Brian[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]No, No, No![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
I was hoping Danny boy would see that VC is screwing this team, has no long term plan, and fire his boy and eat just a little crow and bring in his good friend Marty again. I mean maybe this way their wives could work together on the whole making people aware campaign together. All Danny would have to do is sit in the box and eat hot dogs and popcorn and enjoy the 14-2 seasons and see play off births again. I know what your gunna say about Marty but atleast with a winning season we have a chance at the playoffs and SB.

MTK 11-19-2009 09:24 AM

I just don't see Marty coming back here. He and Danny may have kissed and made up but is Marty dumb enough to come back and work with him again, knowing what he knows from the first time around? Personally I really doubt it.

SBXVII 11-19-2009 09:29 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;627439]I heard yesterday that Wilson wants to meet with Mike Shanahan for the job.

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4667849"]Sources: Buffalo Bills contact Mike Shanahan about coaching opening - ESPN[/URL][/quote]

I think Shanahan would be wise to listen but tell the owner he will wait until the off season to decide. Shanahan said he would not take over for Zorn mid season cause it would not change anything. I imagine he would tell the Bills the same thing. Unless he really thinks that is the place for him right off the bat. Other wise I can see him waiting for the off season which is a little more then a month away and see what other opportunities are out there. Instead of commiting to the Bills now and a better situation becomes available later...like the Skins, Dallas, Tennessee, San Diego. Would he be interested in Carolina, Cleveland, dare I say Oakland?

SBXVII 11-19-2009 09:42 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;627505]I just don't see Marty coming back here. He and Danny may have kissed and made up but is Marty dumb enough to come back and work with him again, knowing what he knows from the first time around? Personally I really doubt it.[/quote]

I don't know. I doubt it also but I hold out high hopes. I like to think if all the other HC's Danny likes are turning him down; Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, and Gruden, maybe Danny will see that whole sale change needs to happen. He fires VC. I would like to think that the Schottenheimer plan would be a great idea. He would have them to dinner and talk about Marty being HC/GM and his son being Asst. HC/OC. Then Marty has what he wanted all along, he could slowly transition to the GM roll and his son could transition to the HCing roll. Danny gets what he wants in a qualified HC and possibly GM, a team that would get turned around quickly like the first time and start having winning seasons. Possibly 14-2 like seasons. Fans would be over joyed at Danny for doing the right thing.

SBXVII 11-19-2009 10:10 AM

I know people don't like PFT but they bring up some good points.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/19/bills-head-start-could-force-snyders-hand/]Bills' head start could force Snyder's hand | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]

Especially the whole $7mill owed Shanahan by the Bronco's at the end of the story. I can see the Skins or Dallas paying that or more.

MTK 11-19-2009 10:14 AM

I'd be shocked if Shanahan agreed to anything before the season is over and he has a chance to weigh all his options. I don't see this Buffalo talk as forcing anybody's hand. Plus it's Buffalo we're talking about, not exactly the most attractive job in the league.

dmek25 11-19-2009 10:19 AM

and wouldn't that drive up his asking price? i hope he signs there, because i don't want him here

SmootSmack 11-19-2009 12:13 PM

I may have been too quick to dismiss Shanahan to the Bills. Apparently the interest is more legit than I thought. From Shanahan's end that is. I still think he won't go there but I'm no longer as certain.

BigHairedAristocrat 11-19-2009 12:29 PM

what are you hearing smoot? why on earth would anyone want to coach in buffalo? you've got a meddlesome owner who is (despite his protests to the contrary) cheap and a small market team with less talent than almost any other team in the NFL. why on earth would shanahan be legitimately interested in Buffalo when much better positions should be available?

SmootSmack 11-19-2009 12:38 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;627607]what are you hearing smoot? why on earth would anyone want to coach in buffalo? you've got a meddlesome owner who is (despite his protests to the contrary) cheap and a small market team with less talent than almost any other team in the NFL. why on earth would shanahan be legitimately interested in Buffalo when much better positions should be available?[/quote]

Well NFL.com's Vic Carucci says they are meeting next week. Aside from that, Shanahan is reportedly intrigued with the financial state of the team (who knows how much that matters in a possible uncapped year though), and supposedly is getting assurances that money is not an object and he will get complete control. Maybe Wilson is changing or realizes that is his probably his last chance?

Still, what does Buffalo offer that Dallas and Washington don't? Probably nothing. There is one thing though (and it would be a big gamble on Shanahan's part) that could make Buffalo much more appealing for Shanahan. And it's probably kind of morbid also. But Wilson is 91 years old and he has said his family will not inherit the team. So imagine the Bills moving to Los Angeles (with or without Wilson) and Shanahan as head honcho/part owner.

Anyhow, I still would be surprised if Shanny goes to the Bills. But crazier things have happened I suppose.

freddyg12 11-19-2009 01:02 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;627611]Well NFL.com's Vic Carucci says they are meeting next week. Aside from that, Shanahan is reportedly intrigued with the financial state of the team (who knows how much that matters in a possible uncapped year though), and supposedly is getting assurances that money is not an object and he will get complete control. Maybe Wilson is changing or realizes that is his probably his last chance?

Still, what does Buffalo offer that Dallas and Washington don't? Probably nothing. There is one thing though (and it would be a big gamble on Shanahan's part) that could make Buffalo much more appealing for Shanahan. And it's probably kind of morbid also. But Wilson is 91 years old and he has said his family will not inherit the team. So imagine the Bills moving to Los Angeles (with or without Wilson) and Shanahan as head honcho/part owner.

Anyhow, I still would be surprised if Shanny goes to the Bills. But crazier things have happened I suppose.[/quote]

I think there's also the personal challenge aspect of it for a coach. If what you say is right about the money, Shanny may see this a la Tuna, the chance to rebuild a team & put it on course to win. Kinda like coaches that take jobs to build small college programs into big winning programs.