Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What If The Redskins Beat Dallas? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33511)

12thMan 11-19-2009 11:11 AM

What If The Redskins Beat Dallas?

Predictions aside, let's suppose it actually happens. The expectation game, the player bashing, and even Jim Zorn's very dim future here, potentially, gets turned on it's head. But this seems to be the Redskins method of operation over the past four or five years. No sooner than the ink begins to dry on the obituary, they have a knack for finding another gear, a ninth life, a reason to keep pushing and winning until the Fat Lady sings.

A victory against the Dallas Cowboys would be the best and worst of scenerios, all in one. Of course any day the Redskins go down to Texas and whoop the Cowboys in brand new Jerryland, it's a good thing. Monday morning quarterbacking suddenly becomes fun again. Redskins fans everywhere will blow the dust off those jerseys they packed away just a few weeks and celebrate with glee as if the team just secured a playoff berth. For one week everything will be restored and back to normal in D.C.

But here's the rub, a win would put the Redskins at 4-6 and now exists a glimmer of hope that they can maybe salvage the remainder of the season and finish strong. It's beginning to be common wisdom, however, that the last thing the Redskins need is a respectable finish to the season. From the most astute pundit to the most casual fan, both tend to agree that the Redskins need to blow things up in the offseason. Even another hundred yard performance by Ladell Betts won't cure the lack of depth along the offensive line. With the exception of the kicking game, special teams has been less than desirable. And the defense, as stout as it is most of the time, still has a penchant for giving up the big play. It's one thing for the team to go out and give a spirited effort week in and week out, it's another to understand that no matter what the roster still needs to be addressed through the draft and there needs to be a shift in organizational philosophy.

Dan Snyder was once quoted as saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. A winning streak of any sort could be the very impediment to that mentality, which has held the organization back for so long. If the Reskins beat Dallas this Sunday, let's hope Mr. Snyder decides to break it no matter what.

Monkeydad 11-19-2009 11:15 AM

Re: What If The Redskins Beat Dallas?

sandtrapjack will go missing.

12thMan 11-19-2009 11:17 AM

[quote=Buster;627552]sandtrapjack will go missing.[/quote]

We can only hope.

saden1 11-19-2009 11:18 AM

If they beat them this week I'm likely to enjoy the up coming few weeks and forgive the losses we will surely incur when we play the Giants, Eagles, and Saints. Not making promises but if they beat them twice I might be inclined to look forward to next season and take interest in the team during the off season.

Zorn still needs to go...Moss too...ARE needs to get it...Rogers already shot himself so no need to worry about him.

maroonandblack30 11-19-2009 11:24 AM

agree on all points....still, its hard not to root for the Skins to beat Dallas and make a run... wishfull thinking I know, but thats why we're fans.

firstdown 11-19-2009 11:46 AM

To sit around and think we need to loose is someting I could never do and sense I have a running $100 bet with my buddy one team will sweep I need us to beat Dallas at least one game to break even. I perfer us to win the first game because at that point I cannot loose anything and the second game is easier to watch.

MTK 11-19-2009 11:51 AM

Beating Dallas won't heal all wounds of the season, it will give a glimmer of hope the rest of the way but there's still a lot of football to go.

SouperMeister 11-19-2009 11:53 AM

I can never root against the Skins, even if a 3 win season would be the best way to bring Snyder to his senses that his stewardship of this franchise has been a losing formula. If we beat Dallas, it will feel great of course. If we go on a win streak, and somehow finish 7-9 with a strong 2nd half, Snyder will see that as validation that Zorn was given a playoff caliber team that he coached out of the playoffs with losses to Detroit and KC. Snyder would be missing the bigger picture - we have never been a true contender since he has owned the team, and the instability he brings is a big reason why we won't compete with the upper echelon until he changes his ways. Winning starts at the top.

GTripp0012 11-19-2009 11:56 AM

If the Redskins get to 4-6, they'll start showing up in those "on the bubble" playoff pictures. But playoffs are only possible if we sweep the remaining division games.

Regardless, if people in the front office haven't already realized that short of being the best team in the NFL in the second half, this team isn't where people thought we would be, short-term optimism is the least of our concerns.

budw38 11-19-2009 11:57 AM

If / when we beat dallas , it means ... they are who we thought they were ... losers !

MTK 11-19-2009 12:00 PM

I get the feeling that some people are hoping for an all out crash and burn the rest of the way so there's a chance Snyder pulls the plug on Vinny, Zorn, etc.

I can't get behind that sort of thinking.

If the team is winning despite losing key guys like Cooley, Samuels, Thomas, Portis etc., perhaps we should consider that the future isn't so bleak after all, and perhaps we do have some good depth and young stars on the rise.

Of course the offensive line still needs major attention for the future, I don't think that will change win or lose.

All that said, beating Denver really didn't change my view of the team or my expectations for the rest of the season. If the team plays well again in Dallas, I might start to change my mind.

rbanerjee23 11-19-2009 12:02 PM

Won't matter because we still lost to Detroit and KC...those mistakes are still there, just covered up by one win.

freddyg12 11-19-2009 12:05 PM

I think finishing strong will ultimately make for harder offseason decision for DS; fire vinny and/or Zorn? But I don't think the offseason personel decisions will be that much different, except for qb, depending on how JC plays.

The most ironic scenario is that Vinny is fired or demoted for a new GM, but Zorn remains. I don't think it's that unrealistic IF we finish strong, say at least 7-9.

skinsguy 11-19-2009 12:07 PM

We still need to have major changes to this team, even if the Redskins finish strongly. I will say though, maybe if the team has a strong finish (say 7-9 or 8-8) maybe we consider keeping the same coaching regime, but getting rid of vinny and getting a better eye for on the field talent. Definitely need to build the offensive line, and we need another QB.

MTK 11-19-2009 12:09 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;627581]Won't matter because we still lost to Detroit and KC...those mistakes are still there, just covered up by one win.[/quote]

Wins over some quality playoff caliber teams will cancel those out, and again it's how you finish not how you start.