Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Charlie Weis and Notre Dame (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33557)

12thMan 11-22-2009 03:00 AM

Charlie Weis and Notre Dame

I took great pleasure in watching UCONN beat Notre Dame today. It was a great game, but UCONN gave Notre Dame hope after not capitalizing on three blown chances to put the Irish away in the final minutes. I just knew they were going to let Notre Dame sneak back in and win the game for old Charlie.

Anyway, I personally think this is it for Charlie Weis. He was probably overrated to begin with. But I think their problem goes beyond coaching. They appear to be competing with the smaller and more competitive programs in terms of recruiting. It's not enough that big programs like Texas, USC, all the Florida programs, and the SEC are getting the lions share of the high school talent. But Notre Dame is now competing with the Cincinnatis, the Rutgers, the Boise States, and UCONNS of colllege football. When was the last time Notre Dame produced a stud football player in the first two rounds? Okay, Brady Quinn. Really?

Right now the rumors to replace Weis are Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and Brian Kelly from Cincy. Meyer would be crazy, in my opinion, to leave Florida and trek to South Bend to turn things around. We'll see, but right now they still have to worry about Stanford who will be going all out next Saturday night on national TV.

SmootSmack 11-22-2009 08:36 AM

Re: Charlie Weis and Notre Dame

And Jim Harbaugh of Stanford is also rumored to be a possible replacement for Weis (though Harbaugh was expected to sign his extension with Stanford this week).

I think Weis will come back to the NFL and continue as a successful offensive coordinator somewhere.

12thMan 11-22-2009 09:02 AM

You think he'll go back in New England? Redskins?

SmootSmack 11-22-2009 09:14 AM

[quote=12thMan;628218]You think he'll go back in New England? Redskins?[/quote]

I could see him possibly going to Buffalo, Cleveland, maybe even Chicago

Skins fan 44 11-22-2009 10:14 AM

Hey, Hey Hey... Goodbye.

12thMan 11-22-2009 10:21 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;628222]I could see him possibly going to Buffalo, Cleveland, maybe even Chicago[/quote]

Cleveland? So they'd be bringing in another Belichick guy?

You think Notre Dame will eat that huge contract to get rid of him or some type of buyout?

firstdown 11-22-2009 11:22 AM

How about LSU needing 2 points and spiking the ball running off the last second on the clock. That was one of the weirdest ending I have ever seen.

I don't get the whole ND thing and how they get a by just because of their past. I think everyone of their games are on TV and I can't get to watch a team in my state like VT. I know it a TV contract thing but I'm sure more people would have watched the VT game over the ND game in our area.

12thMan 11-22-2009 11:43 AM

[quote=firstdown;628251]How about LSU needing 2 points and spiking the ball running off the last second on the clock. That was one of the weirdest ending I have ever seen.

I don't get the whole ND thing and how they get a by just because of their past. I think everyone of their games are on TV and I can't get to watch a team in my state like VT. I know it a TV contract thing but I'm sure more people would have watched the VT game over the ND game in our area.[/quote]

The LSU game was sort of weird and exciting all together.

ND is arguably one of, if not the most, prestigous programs in college football. As far as games being televised, you might remember they signed a lucrative TV deal with NBC back in 1990, that's why you see all of their home games.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/06/business/notre-dame-breaks-ranks-on-tv-football-rights.html]Notre Dame Breaks Ranks on TV Football Rights - The New York Times[/url]

Chico23231 11-22-2009 12:35 PM

Weis is an arrogant jerk who deserves everything that is coming to him. ND has been irrelavant for years. Im going to be pissed if Tech plays them in the Gator Bowl. Hopefully they lose at Stanford. Tech vs Pitt will be a much better game...hoping for Tech vs West Virgina....that would be swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt

GMScud 11-22-2009 02:47 PM

[quote=12thMan;628210]I took great pleasure in watching UCONN beat Notre Dame today. It was a great game, but UCONN gave Notre Dame hope after not capitalizing on three blown chances to put the Irish away in the final minutes. I just knew they were going to let Notre Dame sneak back in and win the game for old Charlie.

Anyway, I personally think this is it for Charlie Weis. He was probably overrated to begin with. But I think their problem goes beyond coaching. They appear to be competing with the smaller and more competitive programs in terms of recruiting. It's not enough that big programs like Texas, USC, all the Florida programs, and the SEC are getting the lions share of the high school talent. But Notre Dame is now competing with the Cincinnatis, the Rutgers, the Boise States, and UCONNS of colllege football. When was the last time Notre Dame produced a stud football player in the first two rounds? Okay, Brady Quinn. Really?

Right now the rumors to replace Weis are [B]Urban Meyer[/B], Bob Stoops, and Brian Kelly from Cincy. [B]Meyer would be crazy, in my opinion, to leave Florida and trek to South Bend to turn things around. [/B]We'll see, but right now they still have to worry about Stanford who will be going all out next Saturday night on national TV.[/quote]

Urban better not even think about leaving Florida. Not sure why he would. He was a receivers coach at ND back in the day, but he's the premier coach in the premier conference in the country, and Florida's name and facilities attract some serious blue-chip talent.

Weis is done at ND. No question about it. ESPN showed his introductory presser back from 2004, and Weis said that "6-5 is not Notre Dame football. 6-5 is not good enough." Oh yeah Charlie? 5 years later, you're 6-5. Sayonara buddy.

12thMan 11-22-2009 03:12 PM

[quote=GMScud;628733]Urban better not even think about leaving Florida. Not sure why he would. He was a receivers coach at ND back in the day, but he's the premier coach in the premier conference in the country, and Florida's name and facilities attract some serious blue-chip talent.

Weis is done at ND. No question about it. ESPN showed his introductory presser back from 2004, and Weis said that "6-5 is not Notre Dame football. 6-5 is not good enough." Oh yeah Charlie? 5 years later, you're 6-5. Sayonara buddy.[/quote]

What are they going to do about that contract? He's signed through 2015 if I'm correct.

GMScud 11-22-2009 04:04 PM

[quote=12thMan;628831]What are they going to do about that contract? He's signed through 2015 if I'm correct.[/quote]

From what I've read, they don't really care about that buyout. Notre Dame boosters are apparently some pretty heavy hitters.

firstdown 11-22-2009 06:00 PM

[quote=12thMan;628257]The LSU game was sort of weird and exciting all together.

ND is arguably one of, if not the most, prestigous programs in college football. As far as games being televised, you might remember they signed a lucrative TV deal with NBC back in 1990, that's why you see all of their home games.

[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/06/business/notre-dame-breaks-ranks-on-tv-football-rights.html"]Notre Dame Breaks Ranks on TV Football Rights - The New York Times[/URL][/quote]

When in the 70's?

mlmdub130 12-10-2009 09:13 PM

brian kelly is the new notre dame coach

mlmdub130 12-10-2009 09:14 PM

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4732205]Cincinnati confirms Kelly to coach Notre Dame - ESPN[/url]