Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Colts promote Chris Polian to new role as VP/GM (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33701)

diehardskin2982 11-29-2009 10:04 PM

Re: Colts promote Chris Polian to new role as VP/GM

I think this move had to be made by the colts. With teams like the brown and the skins out there that may pay big money to lure a top young talent like that

Redskin Warrior 11-29-2009 10:43 PM

[quote=T.O.Killa;631964]Look this is the way I see it. Here is a list of the great organizations.
Eagles+McNabb=Great Organization
Colts+Manning=Great Organization
Steelers+Rothlesberger=Great Organization
Patriots+Brady=Great Organization
Saints+Breese=Great Organization
Chargers+Rivers=Great Organization
Vikings+Farve=Great Organization

Teams Begin and end with their QB.[/quote]

I don't believe this way of thinking at all because at one point in time the Ravens won a super bowl without a star QB. The QB doesn't draft players, they don't evaluate talent to put around them. The GM does Ozzie made the Ravens successful before Flacco & with Flacco he has skill players around him OL protection three good RB's to go along with. The Ravens draft excellence every year not once in ten years. Do the elite QB's help? Yes. Do you need them? No. Look at the Ravens o-line we passed on Oher they didn't. I'm satisfied with Orapko don't get me wrong but if i knew what i know now then 13th draft would have been a OL for sure.

Ruhskins 11-29-2009 11:02 PM

[quote=T.O.Killa;631964]Look this is the way I see it. Here is a list of the great organizations.

Chris Chandler
Trent Dilfer
Kerry Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Rich Gannon
Rex Grossman
Matt Hasselback
Brad Johnson
Jake Delhomme

are not what I would consider "great" QBs but all have been QBs of teams that have gone to the Superbowl.

And if you are talking about "historically" great organizations, well that's not the Saints or Minnesota...and maybe San Diego (at least if you ask Eli Manning who dreaded going there).

While you do need a good QB, you also need a solid foundation in your team. Why are the Vikes successful? Because they have a good offensive line to protect their good old QB.

The Redskins need more than a good QB, they need a solid offensive line and a running game in addition to a QB. And they need better coaches period.

MTK 11-30-2009 10:13 AM

There are three key elements for a great franchise and they go in this order.

1) Front office
2) Head coach
3) QB

I stole this from Cowherd but I think he's right. If you don't have these 3 things in place all working in harmony, chances are you are not a franchise that's built for long term success.

Texanskin 11-30-2009 11:22 AM

no....the team begins with a smart GM that knows WHO to draft...is not afraid to draft o-linemen to PROTECT their investment..that is how you end with a great organization

53Fan 11-30-2009 12:00 PM

[quote=Texanskin;632309]no....the team begins with a smart GM that knows WHO to draft...is not afraid to draft o-linemen to PROTECT their investment..that is how you end with a great organization[/quote]

Doesn't seem that hard to grasp does it?

redsk1 11-30-2009 01:23 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;632273]There are three key elements for a great franchise and they go in this order.

1) Front office
2) Head coach
3) QB

I stole this from Cowherd but I think he's right. If you don't have these 3 things in place all working in harmony, chances are you are not a franchise that's built for long term success.[/quote]

I'm w/ ya. QB's are a huge part of it. FO's are also a huge part of it.

I will admit in certain situations though a great QB can make up for coaching and front office shortcomings. But for the most part you need all three.

Someone mentioned the QB's who made it to the SB. Yes, they made it but didn't win. The better QB won in most cases.

redsk1 11-30-2009 01:26 PM

Yea, who knows if Chris Polian is even on DS's radar. Probably not. There's plenty of other options out there. We can all dream of the day when are team makes wise decisions w/ a competent GM. Hopefully 2010.

Vinny probably has a clause in his contract that will cost us a draft pick if he gets fired. That would only be fitting.

SmootSmack 11-30-2009 01:49 PM

We're going to name Tim Ruskell our President/GM and he's bringing Bill Musgrave back as head coach and Michael Vick as the QB. You heard it here first :)

GTripp0012 11-30-2009 01:52 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;632273]There are three key elements for a great franchise and they go in this order.

1) Front office
2) Head coach
3) QB

I stole this from Cowherd but I think he's right. If you don't have these 3 things in place all working in harmony, chances are you are not a franchise that's built for long term success.[/quote]I have to disagree with Cowherd. He's trying to neatly fit a complicated dynamic into a small list that is hardly jointly exhaustive.

First of all, any organization that puts it's QB on a standard that it doesn't have the rest of it's players on has screwed up somewhere above the "players" level. The reason it's important to have a good QB is because most of the meaningful parts of the offense run through the QB's ability to make decisions and micro-manage the game. Not because his leadership is necessarily any more important than that of other team captains.

A front office is the number one thing that defines a successful organization, and no other elements of the team are quite on the same level...unless the head coach also carries a role in the front office.

And while it's inexcusable to have a weakling head coach, it's way more important that the front office operate towards the team through power in the head coach than the coach actually be a master motivator or strategist. The head coach should not be on a pedestal above the rest of the coaching staff, or you get the Redskins. All coaches need ample ability to do their jobs, and that requires faith from both the front office and players.

So, that means the key elements would be:

1) Front office;
2) Coaching staff;
3) Players,

Or in other words, everyone working together.