Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No. 1 Pass Defense (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33878)

44Deezel 12-07-2009 09:31 AM

Re: No. 1 Pass Defense

The rating is totally fraudulent. The Skins played some of the worst passing Offenses in league history and arguably the easiest schedule of all time over the first 6 or 7 games of the season. They will finish middle of the pack, which is what they are.

tryfuhl 12-07-2009 10:27 AM

[quote=FRPLG;635911]I think GTripp has made a good argument more than once that he simply isn't very football smart. He isn't as football smart as even ST was. ST was no field genius but he did OK and made up for it with once-in-a-lifetime physical ability. LL has great physical ability and no head for the game. Maybe now we understand why our corners are told to give 12 yard cushions. LL needs that much extra time to process and figure out what to do.[/quote]
ST worked hard too.. heard he was constantly watching film, doing extra work with other positions, asking any question he thought that could help him learn more. A lot of that didn't come out until after his death but I heard that he was top notch in preparation.

diehardskin2982 12-07-2009 10:28 AM

Although he gave up 2 scores, Landry was all over the field and I believe he belongs on this redskins roster.

GTripp0012 12-08-2009 07:04 PM

Washington now ranks 11th in yards per passing attempt.

That's because we got Brees'ed, but at some point, you have to show up against the big boys. We should recover some against Bruce Gradkowski this week, but I believe the true measure of the passing defense will show up in the final 3 games: Eli, Romo, Rivers.

Lotus 12-08-2009 08:38 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;635946]ST worked hard too.. heard he was constantly watching film, doing extra work with other positions, asking any question he thought that could help him learn more. A lot of that didn't come out until after his death but I heard that he was top notch in preparation.[/quote]

Am I wrong in understanding that his prep work marked more of his later career than his early career? I remember ST being problematic for a while before he became awesome. Maybe we should be wary of giving up on Landry too early because he might similarly wake up.

GridIron26 12-08-2009 09:03 PM

[quote=Lotus;636910]Am I wrong in understanding that his prep work marked more of his later career than his early career? I remember ST being problematic for a while before he became awesome. Maybe we should be wary of giving up on Landry too early because he might similarly wake up.[/quote]

ST did have some problems in early years, both on and off field.. Although Sean didn't do what Landry does; he always celebrate only for his big hits, which he deserves to do so - it's like a goddamn train freight coming at you and Sean knows it.. Sean did mess up some plays, but he also made plays too.. As for preparing for games, I'm not sure but I think I heard he improved through out years, which is common for rookies?

I wonder if it's same thing for Landry, but I guess we will find out next season.. I know Vinny isn't going to trade Landry, he was 1st rounder - choice of either Vinny or Snyder.. Although there is one big problem with I have, his celebrations.... He celebrates every tackle, literally every one.. I'm really surprised the coaches still haven't say anything about it; it's quite annoying..

Edit: if ST was still here, Landry wouldn't be like this...

53Fan 12-08-2009 09:35 PM

I think what it really comes down to is this, Landry is the most talented safety we have ..period. Until someone else can play FS to the coaches satisfaction, he'll stay there. I was hoping Kareem Moore would be that man. We're pretty strong at SS with Doughty and Horton (Before he got hurt). We're not very strong at FS. So do the coaches sacrifice the FS position to make an already strong SS position stronger by moving Landry there? Moore stepping up would really help to solve this problem and I'd like to see him start at least one game with Landry at SS. What better time than now? My understanding is they will try to move Landry around a little more but until someone else steps up the FS job is probably his. I don't like his antics either but I think he'd thrive and be more of a force at SS.

mlmdub130 12-08-2009 09:35 PM

[quote=GridIron26;636914]ST did have some problems in early years, both on and off field.. Although Sean didn't do what Landry does; he always celebrate only for his big hits, which he deserves to do so - it's like a goddamn train freight coming at you and Sean knows it.. Sean did mess up some plays, but he also made plays too.. As for preparing for games, I'm not sure but I think I heard he improved through out years, which is common for rookies?

I wonder if it's same thing for Landry, but I guess we will find out next season.. I know Vinny isn't going to trade Landry, he was 1st rounder - choice of either Vinny or Snyder.. Although there is one big problem with I have, his celebrations.... He celebrates every tackle, literally every one.. I'm really surprised the coaches still haven't say anything about it; it's quite annoying..

[B]Edit: if ST was still here, Landry wouldn't be like this[/B]...[/quote]

thats what i don't get, he does not have sean but he does have an older brother who plays for a team 30 minutes away, and his brother carries himself alot different, you think he could learn something from him

GridIron26 12-08-2009 09:41 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;636921]thats what i don't get, he does not have sean but he does have an older brother who plays for a team 30 minutes away, and his brother carries himself alot different, you think he could learn something from him[/quote]

True..

Lotus 12-08-2009 10:01 PM

[quote=GridIron26;636914]ST did have some problems in early years, both on and off field.. Although Sean didn't do what Landry does; he always celebrate only for his big hits, which he deserves to do so - it's like a goddamn train freight coming at you and Sean knows it.. Sean did mess up some plays, but he also made plays too.. As for preparing for games, I'm not sure but I think I heard he improved through out years, which is common for rookies?

Edit: if ST was still here, Landry wouldn't be like this...[/quote]

I completely agree that Landry might be very different if ST were still around.

I've thought about Landry's celebrations. I've gotten to the point of realizing that if Landry were just one positive play after another, without much negative admixed, I would not mind his celebrations at all. So the problem for me is not so much his celebrations as it is just eliminating his negative plays.

just my :twocents:

SmootSmack 12-09-2009 07:49 AM

[quote=Lotus;636910]Am I wrong in understanding that his prep work marked more of his later career than his early career? I remember ST being problematic for a while before he became awesome. Maybe we should be wary of giving up on Landry too early because he might similarly wake up.[/quote]

I think what's happening is we, well really the people at Redskins Park, are saying "Well Taylor grew up, same will happen for Landry." You can't really wait for things to happen, I don't think.

Lotus 12-09-2009 11:27 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;636988]I think what's happening is we, well really the people at Redskins Park, are saying "Well Taylor grew up, same will happen for Landry." You can't really wait for things to happen, I don't think.[/quote]

Good point.