Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suisham released, Gano new kicker (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33924)

PennSkinsFan 12-08-2009 12:33 PM

Suisham released, Gano new kicker

[URL="http://dcprosportsreport.com/"][B]http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/12/08/redskins-cut-pk-suisham.html[/B][/URL]
K Shaun Suisham has been released and a replacement named, Graham Gano.

SFREDSKIN 12-08-2009 12:35 PM

Re: Suisham released, Gano new kicker

Let's see what this guy can do, I hope he's the solution for a few seasons.

GMScud 12-08-2009 12:37 PM

Graham Gano has a gigantic leg. Watched him for the past few years at Florida State. He can kill the ball. We shall see.

Big C 12-08-2009 12:43 PM

good move. may as well try someone else out, see if he can make a clutch kick.

skinsfan69 12-08-2009 12:43 PM

Feel bad for Suisham but you can't miss 23 yarders if you plan on kicking in the NFL.

PennSkinsFan 12-08-2009 12:45 PM

I dont feel bad. Suisham has had more opportunities here than most kickers would get from one team to wrap up a job, permanently. He is a streaky kicker and that is what a team does not need. You need consistency and stability. Hopefully, Gano can also boom the kickoffs better.

Kalisto2010 12-08-2009 12:45 PM

Thank Goodness. Suisham had his chance, hopefully the new guy is adept at making chip shots.

joethiesmanfan 12-08-2009 12:47 PM

Suisham got paid for that missed kick.

GMScud 12-08-2009 12:50 PM

[quote=PennSkinsFan;636647]I dont feel bad. Suisham has had more opportunities here than most kickers would get from one team to wrap up a job, permanently. He is a streaky kicker and that is what a team does not need. You need consistency and stability. Hopefully,[B] Gano can also boom the kickoffs better[/B].[/quote]

Oh yeah. That's the thing that stood out most to me whenever I'd watch Florida play Florida St in recent years. This dude would blast it into or out of the endzone every friggin time.

The bottom line is, we may have won the last three games in a row if Suisham makes some kicks. Many kickers in this league are on a week-to-week basis as far as job security, and apparently Suisham is one of them.

diehardskin2982 12-08-2009 12:50 PM

[quote=joethiesmanfan;636649]Suisham got paid for that missed kick.[/quote]

what makes you think that?

SBXVII 12-08-2009 12:51 PM

I feel bad in the sense that if your going to get rid of one person who made a mistake "supposedly" costing the game then you might as well be fair and get rid of the others as well.

Other then that....Suish was a decent kicker not a great kicker. Basically he was a band aid. If this guy works out and can crush the ball good. Maybe we've solved one problem we won't need to fix for a long time. Hopefully we will be able to spend more quality time looking into OL, QB, RB, and LB.

Longtimefan 12-08-2009 12:53 PM

He'll be fine until he misses, when he does he'll get the bus too. Feel bad for Suisham, the guy was perfect for twelve weeks straight, but in this league you're paid to make um.

TheMalcolmConnection 12-08-2009 12:53 PM

I'd rather this guy be trying out right now since we're so far out of the playoffs it isn't funny...

pg86 12-08-2009 12:54 PM

Id really love to see Gano Kick the game winner for us this weekend oh man!! Released with only a few games left!

Longtimefan 12-08-2009 01:01 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;636656]I'd rather this guy be trying out right now since we're so far out of the playoffs it isn't funny...[/quote]

A3-9 football team releasing it's kicker with four games remaining in the season may be a first. I don't know that I remember anything like that happening before. Could have, I just don't remember.

CRedskinsRule 12-08-2009 01:01 PM

I like the move, again, it gives us real game film to evaluate him. Suisham had definitely enough opportunities. My concern would be how the decision was made {see other thread}

firstdown 12-08-2009 01:01 PM

There is a reason he is not on a team.

KLHJ2 12-08-2009 01:03 PM

[quote=firstdown;636662]There is a reason he is not on a team.[/quote]

Yeah, because his season ended already.

SBXVII 12-08-2009 01:05 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;636660]A3-9 football team releasing it's kicker with four games remaining in the season may be a first. I don't know that I remember anything like that happening before. Could have, I just don't remember.[/quote]

Well if he lives up to his hype then we have a steal. He has a few actual live games to get a customed to the NFL and for us to evaluate him prior to next season. Like I said already if he works out then maybe our PK spot is set for several yrs and all we have to worry about is OL, QB, RB, and LB.

Longtimefan 12-08-2009 01:05 PM

Tell me about it.

CRedskinsRule 12-08-2009 01:05 PM

Well, one is simply that teams in preseason are likely to go with who they know. That basically is why the Skins kept Suisham. Kickers rotate around the league until they find a home. I hope this guy pans out, if not, bring on the next leg.

Gmanc711 12-08-2009 01:06 PM

Had to be done in my opinion. I mean I've been very critical of Suisham over the years, have heard he's an awesome guy and really wish him nothing but the best as long as he's not playing against us... but this is a move that HAS to be made. Its time for people on this team to be held accountable for their poor play and I feel like too much on the Redskins, guys have spots handed to them when other guys are out performing them all over the place (I'm looking at you, Clinton Portis)... I just feel like there is no accountability sometimes... This is obviously just a fans perspective and really, what the hell do I know? In Suishams case, I've just seen the guy miss too many big feild goals for the Redskins, some of which I say directly led to the loss. Yeah other guys screwed up all over the place, but the Washington Redskins beat the New Orleans Saints last Sunday and the kicker blew it. Thats 100% on him in my book. Again, I wish the guy nothing but the best, but this is pro football, and you need to either be benched (or in a kickers case, cut) when you're not performing. Bottom line.

saden1 12-08-2009 01:09 PM

You miss an easy field goal you should be cut. If I cared about Suisham I would wish him luck but I don't,

Longtimefan 12-08-2009 01:12 PM

[quote=SBXVII;636666]Well if he lives up to his hype then we have a steal. He has a few actual live games to get a customed to the NFL and for us to evaluate him prior to next season. Like I said already if he works out then maybe our PK spot is set for several yrs and all we have to worry about is OL, QB, RB, and LB.[/quote]

I'm sure we'll be looking foreward to seeing him on Sunday in Oakland. I hope the guy pans out and can provide stability at a position that has become a revolving door for us the past several years.

mlmdub130 12-08-2009 01:18 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;636652]what makes you think that?[/quote]

some one pointed out the base salary for a vet kicker in the league in another thread, and i wanna say it was a little over a million, hard to say i feel sorry about that

SouperMeister 12-08-2009 01:21 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;636671]Had to be done in my opinion. I mean I've been very critical of Suisham over the years, have heard he's an awesome guy and really wish him nothing but the best as long as he's not playing against us... but this is a move that HAS to be made. Its time for people on this team to be held accountable for their poor play and I feel like too much on the Redskins, guys have spots handed to them when other guys are out performing them all over the place (I'm looking at you, Clinton Portis)... [B]I just feel like there is no accountability sometimes[/B]... This is obviously just a fans perspective and really, what the hell do I know? In Suishams case, I've just seen the guy miss too many big feild goals for the Redskins, some of which I say directly led to the loss. Yeah other guys screwed up all over the place, but the Washington Redskins beat the New Orleans Saints last Sunday and the kicker blew it. Thats 100% on him in my book. Again, I wish the guy nothing but the best, but this is pro football, and you need to either be benched (or in a kickers case, cut) when you're not performing. Bottom line.[/quote]Accountability - a word I keep coming back to. I was definitely in favor of this. You can't have a kicker who is unreliable with the game on the line, and Suisham has certainly missed more than he has made in big situations. Furthermore, I want to see Landry held accountable for abandoning his first assignment to protect against the quick strike TD (twice). I'm not saying cut the guy, but with his continued antics after every tackle, he clearly has a high opinion of himself relative to his real value to the team. I'm NOT saying cut Landry, but Rogers was benched for similar plays, so why not give Landry a time out to think about his role in this difficult season, and more importantly, becoming a better team player.

InsaneBoost 12-08-2009 01:23 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;636646]Feel bad for Suisham but you can't miss 23 yarders if you plan on kicking in the NFL.[/quote]

I don't, dude has lost us 3 huge games this year now.

Chico23231 12-08-2009 01:23 PM

Just hope we address kicker in the offseason if this guy doesnt work out...

maroonandblack30 12-08-2009 01:39 PM

[quote=InsaneBoost;636689]I don't, dude has lost us 3 huge games this year now.[/quote]

3? Dallas and Saints....whats the 3rd?

SolidSnake84 12-08-2009 01:40 PM

Suisham makes me think of Scott Norwood...we will always remember him for the kick that cost us the chance to beat the unbeaten saints....and possibly a playoff chance (if we were to somehow finish 8-8)

Good luck to him, though....

SmootSmack 12-08-2009 01:41 PM

[quote=saden1;636674]You miss an easy field goal you should be cut. If I cared about Suisham I would wish him luck but I don't,[/quote]

Suisham promised to do a chat with us two years ago...and then we never heard from him again...so F him :)

htownskinfan 12-08-2009 01:43 PM

love this move
Gives us time to evaluate a new kicker in an actual real game and not preseason.Plus if Hunter pulls another hammy we dont have to waste another roster spot on a punter.

SmootSmack 12-08-2009 01:46 PM

[quote=GMScud;636643]Graham Gano has a gigantic leg. Watched him for the past few years at Florida State. He can kill the ball. We shall see.[/quote]

Good call

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/515723-post87.html[/url]

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-08-2009 01:46 PM

[quote=saden1;636674]You miss an easy field goal you should be cut.[/quote]

By that standard, every kicker in the league should be cut. I wanted to beat Suisham with a 2x4 on Sunday, but he was kicked the ball through the uprights on 85% of his field goal attempts. He missed two big attempts, but this move strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction based more on emotion than reason. I think we will regret releasing Suisham.

over the mountain 12-08-2009 01:53 PM

missing that field goal in dallas to make it a 2 possession game was costly. i dont really blame suisham for that b/c i thought it was out of his range to begin with but that, in and of itself, is an indictment against him.

the miss this sunday was just plain bad. add that to the week prior and i dont really see any reason to keep him onboard.

honestly, what are we going to miss? he cant make field goals over 50 yds and he misses the makeable kicks and the most inopportune times. plus he kicked the ball out of bounds at least twice this year and is inconsistent with his kickoffs after the first few games of every season.
go skins!

flashalexb 12-08-2009 01:56 PM

[quote=GMScud;636643]Graham Gano has a gigantic leg. Watched him for the past few years at Florida State. He can kill the ball. We shall see.[/quote]

Who called it? Being a recent graduate of Florida State, I attended most of Gano's games and he was a stud on all aspects of the kicking game.

As I said before, the reason he wasn't drafted was because they said his trajectory angle was too low and that it was thought that his kicks would be blocked although he was thought to be the top kicker in the draft.

Looks like I can actually agree with a Gator for once (GMScud) :)

redsk1 12-08-2009 01:58 PM

Had to be done. Suisham is a good guy, seemingly, so you do feel bad for him, but it's the reality of being a kicker in the nfl. You miss easy kicks that costs teams games than you don't have a job. He knows this more than any of us.

Lotus 12-08-2009 01:59 PM

Yes. Hopefully he can translate his solid college career into the pros. In the best scenario we've found a good young franchise kicker. In the worst scenario we give the promising youngster a live-action audition at the end of a lost season.

I like this move.

Monkeydad 12-08-2009 02:05 PM

12 weeks too late, but it still makes me happy.

drew54 12-08-2009 02:16 PM

Suisham was a cool guy it appears from all the videos/ interviews we saw/heard in training camp.

Sadly his kick off skills were lacking too and that had to be figured into his getting cut.