Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   (Correction): Brian Kelly Named Notre Dame Coach (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33973)

duetsch215 12-10-2009 09:48 PM

(Correction): Brian Kelly Named Notre Dame Coach

Wow have we seen this before or what. A coach leaving a school in which he brought so close to a national title for a school that used to be a contender but is recently a pretender. What a douche

mlmdub130 12-10-2009 09:58 PM

re: (Correction): Brian Kelly Named Notre Dame Coach

[quote=duetsch215;637872]Wow have we seen this before or what. A coach leaving a school in which he brought so close to a national title for a school that used to be a contender but is recently a pretender. What a douche[/quote]

huh? chip kelly coaches oregon and i'm pretty sure he still does.

brian kelly however who coached cincy is now the notre dame coach

and rich rod is still a douche, good luck in your bowl game michigan

FRPLG 12-10-2009 10:30 PM

Im gonna call BS. Rich Rod was up or the bama job and parlayed that into an extension...from his alma mater that was his "dream job". Then one year later he takes another job while abandoning his "dream job" at his alma mater and pulling recruits along with him.Then he tried to weasel his way out of the buyout. Cincy has no basis or feeling jilted. WVU felt right so.

GMScud 12-10-2009 11:23 PM

This whole thread is a fail considering BRIAN Kelly took the ND job. Chip Kelly will continue to coach Oregon for at least a few more years.

RobH4413 12-11-2009 12:18 AM

Fail.

SmootSmack 12-11-2009 07:13 AM

Fail on many levels. I'll edit the thread title to at least correct that fail

tryfuhl 12-11-2009 07:21 AM

Re: (Correction): Brian Kelly Named Notre Dame Coach

I just came in to say fail.

ttyl,
tryfuhl

ArtMonkDrillz 12-11-2009 08:09 AM

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/eodeeznuts/ThreadFail.jpg[/IMG]

MTK 12-11-2009 08:18 AM

[IMG]http://socialmedialawstudent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/vader-fail1.jpg[/IMG]

duetsch215 12-11-2009 03:15 PM

yea my bad guys got names mixed up

Monkeydad 12-11-2009 03:15 PM

Cincy getting a taste of its own medicine. They signed Kelly away from Central Michigan before their Bowl game. Now it happens to them.

It's just a part of the game now. I don't like it either but we can't fault Kelly...it's a dream job for him that he's earned. The huge layoff before the Bowl games is really to blame. The schools need to be recruiting for next year RIGHT NOW...meaning they need to have their new coaches in place. If we didn't have to wait a month after the last game for the Bowls, coaches wouldn't have to move before they're finished their seasons.

This isn't something that can be fixed easily, but the best solution would be to start the season a month later to eliminate the layoff before the Bowls. We KNOW the Bowls aren't moving back a month, the TV networks would not allow it...New Year's is their time to show Bowl Games.

FRPLG 12-11-2009 03:34 PM

[quote=Buster;638167]Cincy getting a taste of its own medicine. They signed Kelly away from Central Michigan before their Bowl game. Now it happens to them.

It's just a part of the game now. I don't like it either but we can't fault Kelly...it's a dream job for him that he's earned. The huge layoff before the Bowl games is really to blame. The schools need to be recruiting for next year RIGHT NOW...meaning they need to have their new coaches in place. If we didn't have to wait a month after the last game for the Bowls, coaches wouldn't have to move before they're finished their seasons.

This isn't something that can be fixed easily, but the best solution would be to start the season a month later to eliminate the layoff before the Bowls. We KNOW the Bowls aren't moving back a month, the TV networks would not allow it...New Year's is their time to show Bowl Games.[/quote]How about a moratorium on recruiting from Dec1 to Feb 1. Done. No falling behind. While we're at a playoff system would make things better too. Less teams waiting a month in between games. Why hasn't anyone thought of a playoff before? I must be a genius.

dmek25 12-11-2009 04:01 PM

if the NCAA had any balls, they would put a stop to this. whats the big deal until waiting for the completion of all the bowl games, until having discussions for a new hire?

SmootSmack 12-11-2009 04:34 PM

Like Buster said, it's all about recruiting

GTripp0012 12-11-2009 04:41 PM

Full Disclosure: I am not unbiased here. Many of my teachers and student life co-workers at my college are very close to Brian Kelly, because they worked with him for a decade. I am also a Notre Dame fan, and rooted heavily for Cincinnati these past three years. It was pretty well known that, as long as Notre Dame still had interest in him (because they inquired on Kelly at the end of 2008), this move was inevitable. I will still be pulling for them to take the Sugar Bowl, unlike GMScud.

Both Kelly and Swarbrick would have absolutely preferred to have waited until January to get this done, but at those major schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Florida, Va. Tech..etc, that's just not realistic. It's the athletic director's job to fill the position as quickly as possible, and once you've started the interviewing candidates, you can't ice everyone while you wait for the Sugar Bowl to get played so we can commence the inevitable.

The alternative would have been even worse, IMO: keep Weis as a lame duck coach and go to a bowl game, and then do the contract behind the backs of everyone and under the table, and then fire Weis after Christmas, run a quasi interview process, and hire Kelly the day after the Sugar Bowl.

That's not any more fair to the Cincinnati players, and it wouldn't be fair at all to Brian Kelly. This was done in the best way possible, IMO. If he's going to take the job, take it, and root for Cincinnati to complete their season, but don't waste their time coaching them while also calling recruits to come to ND.