Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   I've made the decision to find religion....Now What?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/34050-ive-made-decision-find-religion-now.html)

SolidSnake84 12-14-2009 09:38 AM

I've made the decision to find God..again......Now What??

Hey everybody my deepest apologies if this thread is going to be hugely unpopular here, but i dont have many friends and i dont know who else to turn to. I've gotten along great with everybody here since i joined in October, so i'm turning to you for advice.

I'm 25 years old. I've "believed" in God my entire life, but only over the last few years have i thought about it in a way that relates to me, my life, etc... I have understood the concept of salvation and definatley realize/understand the significance of Christ's death on the cross...In 2005 i became saved, as in i confessed to being a sinner and asking for God's love and forgiveness, but my life never changed like i hear people talk about. I mean i wasn't immoral to start with, but i wasn't living a godly life and wasn't even going to church.

In 2006 i had a good run of going to church bi-weekly and trying to live a Christian life, but since 2007 i've fallen off the wagon i think and now i don't know what to do. All this year i've resented church completley and been bored out of my mind while there. I feel terrible about it. But i went yesterday and the message really hit me good...and i want to embrace a christian lifestyle again...Now what? Do i need to get saved all over again to make this work??? What should i do?

I'm just afraid of becoming an extremist or some of those "weird" religious people that we all see...like the ones where the parents and all 11 kids all dress like pilgrims and stuff...lol seriously i dont want to be that way.

Can anyone help me get going in the right direction? And i hope i haven't offended anyone.

Thanks,
Mark

FRPLG 12-14-2009 09:50 AM

Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

[quote=SolidSnake84;639500]Hey everybody my deepest apologies if this thread is going to be hugely unpopular here, but i dont have many friends and i dont know who else to turn to. I've gotten along great with everybody here since i joined in October, so i'm turning to you for advice.

I'm 25 years old. I've "believed" in God my entire life, but only over the last few years have i thought about it in a way that relates to me, my life, etc... I have understood the concept of salvation and definatley realize/understand the significance of Christ's death on the cross...In 2005 i became saved, as in i confessed to being a sinner and asking for God's love and forgiveness, but my life never changed like i hear people talk about. I mean i wasn't immoral to start with, but i wasn't living a godly life and wasn't even going to church.

In 2006 i had a good run of going to church bi-weekly and trying to live a Christian life, but since 2007 i've fallen off the wagon i think and now i don't know what to do. All this year i've resented church completley and been bored out of my mind while there. I feel terrible about it. But i went yesterday and the message really hit me good...and i want to embrace a christian lifestyle again...Now what? Do i need to get saved all over again to make this work??? What should i do?

I'm just afraid of becoming an extremist or some of those "weird" religious people that we all see...like the ones where the parents and all 11 kids all dress like pilgrims and stuff...lol seriously i dont want to be that way.

Can anyone help me get going in the right direction? And i hope i haven't offended anyone.

Thanks,
Mark[/quote]You need to find the right church. It's not about just going but getting involved. To do that you need to find the place where you want to be. A lot of churches suck...all a bunch of old people who just hit the services and sit around and drink coffee afterward. But there are plenty of churches where you can get involved and they do things that are fun and interesting. That will keep you interested.

Schneed10 12-14-2009 10:16 AM

Jsarno, is that you?

Monkeydad 12-14-2009 10:38 AM

[quote=FRPLG;639510]You need to find the right church. It's not about just going but getting involved. To do that you need to find the place where you want to be. A lot of churches suck...all a bunch of old people who just hit the services and sit around and drink coffee afterward. But there are plenty of churches where you can get involved and they do things that are fun and interesting. That will keep you interested.[/quote]

Great advice. My father and grandfather were both pastors...don't believe the trendy things to say now about religious people being insane and whackjobs...they're the minority by far, it's just popular to paint everyone that way lately.

The most important thing IS finding that Church and place in your life where you're comfortable. Faith is the most personal thing there is, so it may take many months or years to find that perfect Church and group of people to share it with, but you'll know when you find it. My wife and I attend a Church that's about 35 minutes away instead of one in our own town because it's the best Church for us and now, our son. We found it and even though we moved, still drive the extra distance to attend it because we know we couldn't find a better one for us.

Good luck to you. Just remember, don't get discouraged if you can't find the perfect place right away or even after numerous attempts and failures at Churches that just aren't right for you. Yes, you can worship and study the Bible to improve yourself on your own at home, but it's just not the same and tougher to learn and stay disciplined. The fellowship of others and messages you'll receive from pastors can help your spiritual growth much more than private devotions, which ARE important.

mredskins 12-14-2009 10:47 AM

god help you and look out for the jesus freaks.

On a serious note I live near a large church that is a born again type church. I will say these those folks really look out for each other, almost cult like. I think if yo uare looking for a sense of community and friendship maybe the way to go.

I will say this, I am Catholic and when I look at the folks at my church I feel like they are there on Sunday becasue you have to go, lets say guilt brings them there but when I look at folks who go to the born again church they have been looking forward to going all week/ exicited to be there.

It is a very personal choice and it sounds like you are in need of some good friends/ family type folks and I think you will find that in a born again church. I don't get that in my cathloic church but I alos have my family and good friends so I am not trying to fill avoid, where you are.

Let me end with I am not a right wing born again jesus freak nor do I want to spend time with them but I think you will find they are good folks for the most part that can help you out.

Trample the Elderly 12-14-2009 10:56 AM

I'm a member of the church of Slayer. Our sermons come from the Judas Priest. We worship the Skeleton Witch during the Black Sabbath.

We've got cookies! :headbange

SolidSnake84 12-14-2009 11:23 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied :)

Buster-- excellent advice...i wanted to hear from somebody who had went through something similar ie) moving around to find the right place....

Mr. Redskins: I used to go to a church in 2006 that was that way...almost cult like..it was a Calvary Chapel though....the same organization that in WV had a bible burning....seriously. The church i go to now is kind of a mixture....full of the people who look guilted into going....and then some of the younger folks who look like they were really excited to go....

I left the Calvary Chapel because they literally got to the point of almost brainwashing...they were saying that the only people who would be saved was the people inside the church etc....and that everything outside the doors was going to hell....they did weird stuff with closing the windows and lighting candles....scary almost...

firstdown 12-14-2009 11:43 AM

I thought people made the decision to find God?

cpayne5 12-14-2009 11:51 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;639500]Hey everybody my deepest apologies if this thread is going to be hugely unpopular here, but i dont have many friends and i dont know who else to turn to. I've gotten along great with everybody here since i joined in October, so i'm turning to you for advice.

Thanks,
Mark[/quote]

Matthew 18:20 - this verse tells us that a church isn't *the* church. Don't look for a physical church building to bring you comfort.

I would recommend that you look for a Bible study group comprised of people your age. If you can find a group of 20 somethings that share common beliefs and life experiences, you will get exactly what you're looking for.

Check out [URL="http://www.notreligion.com/index.php/Weekly-Bible-Study/The-Right-Way-to-Live.html"]this[/URL] article. It directly speaks to your question.

firstdown 12-14-2009 12:17 PM

If every other word out of the preachers mouth is "donation" then I'd look for another church. I was going into a bar once and a guy stopped me and asked me if I wanted to go to heaven and I said I was going into the bar looking for heaven.

12thMan 12-14-2009 12:28 PM

This coming from the guy that started the drunk thread, but here goes...

Most importantly it's necessary to realize that regardless of your station, salvation is a very personal matter. Often times we tend to gauge our relationship with God based on how we feel at any particular moment. The cold hard truth is, most of the times we probably "feel" unworthy or "feel" like sinners. So in that context, our emotions are fleeting at best when trying to ascertain where we stand with God. Most of the times we fall away because we heed our feelings too often.

Church and church involvement are unquestionably, in my opinion, a big part of your relationship with God. But it's just that - a part, not the sum total. So yes, find a solid church, however you define solid. And don't have any wild expectations about the church, the pastor, or yourself for that matter. Because you're bound to walk away frustrated and disappointed again. There's plenty of scriptures found in the New Testament about adding to your faith little by little, here and there, but nothing all in one shot. Read a little Galations, Timothy I & II, and Philippians.

Oh, and don't worry too much about Jesus freaks and all of that stuff. People are people, man. You're smart enough to know when someone's trying to control you and when their heart is in the right place. Do what you do and make this about you and God, not you and those around you.

SolidSnake84 12-14-2009 12:34 PM

Thanks alot everybody. I guess the biggest thing i was worrying about was becoming one of the "freaks"...that everybody knows about.

Like there was this family we used to know, that all wore handmade clothes and everything...and they drove those 15 passenger vans and homeschooled (there is nothing wrong with homeschooling, IMO), and I didn't want me or my eventual family to go down that road....because i'm pretty sure no person was ever like "Ok...today i'm going to be become an extremist".

The last place i visited people started speaking gibberish and one woman laid down and flopped like she was having a seizure....it scared my wife really bad and there was a guy running around hitting people on the top of the head and i swear if he would have hit either of us i would have laid him out right there...

So last sunday i went back to my regular church and it just felt different for some reason...maybe i am headed in the right direction...thanks for everyone who wrote back

Trample the Elderly 12-14-2009 12:35 PM

I'd leave religion alone. My ex-girlfriend found Jesus. Now she'll not sleep with me anymore. If I ever see that ole Gebus, I'm going to have a word or two with him.

12thMan 12-14-2009 12:40 PM

Yeah dude, just follow your heart. Sounds like that's what you're doing.

I was just thinking how faith is much like making a good pot of coffee. Everyday you have to wake up and make a fresh pot. But what's more important the coffee grounds, the pot, or the electricity and heat required to brew it? I'm just saying...

Got me thinking, good thread though.

SolidSnake84 12-14-2009 12:47 PM

I guess most of my problem is maybe being afraid to take the next step, but knowing that i should. You know what i mean? Like the 1st church that I ever reguarly attended was full of extremists, they bordered on being cultists, and it had me being scared that i would end up that way if i stayed a "committed" christian. Because the whole time they were saying how their way was right and everything...and the place was just full of weirdos...seriously.

My wife is the exact opposite. She attended the same church growing up, belonged to the different groups and such, and came from a normal family, that bordered on over-religious, but not to the point where you could see how weird and stuff they were. I guess i was just afraid that if i "gave it my all" i would get consumed and end up like one of those weirdos. The church i reguarly attend is her church and i know it is making her sad and upset that i can't get enjoyment out of it like she does. And i really really want to.....I want my relationship with God to still equate to a normal life. All i've seen is the extreme end of it. I want to have a relationship with God and live a good Christian Life, but i dont want to be weird or be an extremist...does anybody get what i'm saying??

Hopefully i can meet some good Christian men that aren't weirdos and i can have like a mentor or role model/type figure. Because in my short life i've only ever equated "church people", to being extreme and weird.