Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   With a rise in fatal accidents caused by elderly drivers; does the nation need stricter rules on licenses? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34108)

SolidSnake84 12-16-2009 01:42 PM

Re: With a rise in fatal accidents caused by elderly drivers; does the nation need stricter rules on licenses?

Well i know if you lose your license because of like DUI, or something like that, you have to go through it all again.....

saden1 12-16-2009 02:57 PM

Re: With a rise in fatal accidents caused by elderly drivers; does the nation need stricter rules on licenses?

Don't worry folks, ObamaCare's death panels will take care of these old sons of bitches.

firstdown 12-16-2009 03:04 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;640624]Well i know if you lose your license because of like DUI, or something like that, you have to go through it all again.....[/quote]
If so thats a new law. Most people who get a DUI only have their Lic. sus. for a short time and can get a restricted lic to go to work and other thing like that. The only DMV requirment is taking the driver improvment course which is a joke and file an FR44 which use to be an SR22.

SolidSnake84 12-16-2009 03:31 PM

I should have clarified....if your license is revoked from your for a time for whatever, you have to go through the whole ordeal again. There is a guy i work with that had 3 DUI's...the 2nd one he lost his license for 5 years....the third one he lost it for good....

dmek25 12-16-2009 03:31 PM

[quote=saden1;640677]Don't worry folks, ObamaCare's death panels will take care of these old sons of bitches.[/quote]
why do you have to start? and happy holidays to you :)

budw38 12-16-2009 07:32 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;640495]Yes there should be more strict testing requirements of drivers over a certain age. But at the same time, if someone wants to get in a car and drive regardless of whether they have a license or not, not much you can do to stop that.

As far as tossing elderly people in jail, not sure I really see the benefit of making them a financial burden on the state.[/quote]
Agreed . Nice post .

mlmdub130 12-16-2009 07:56 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;640516]While we're at it how about more restrictions on drivers under 20? Seems that whenever I see someone on the road pulling a dick move, it's usually some kid who doesn't even look old enough to be driving.[/quote]

seriously. and i think the age should vary more area to area, like in bumbfuck north dakota they can drive around 15, but here in nova or in ny where there is crazy traffic and constant road work they should make the age much higher.

Daseal 12-16-2009 08:28 PM

This is a topic that is a huge pet peeve of mine. I feel like the elderly are the most dangerous demographic on the road. First of all, judges are far less likely to strip the license of a 65 year old man than a 19 year old kid. When a 19 year old does something stupid, driving is a privilege; when an old man does something stupid, he needs his license to go to the Dr., etc etc.

I feel that past the age of 65 mandatory vision and road tests should be required. I don't think it's too much to ask that someone proves they can see and operate a vehicle safely. I know a lot of people bring up young drivers, but keep something in mind. Young drivers need to actually drive to get better. Elderly drivers will only get worse. There's no doubt that young drivers are dangerous and do stupid things, but with experience they will get better. Much like drinking, nothing really changed between 18-21 with the drinking age except people dying from alcohol related incidents 3 years later than they may have normally.

Also, they are adding much more restrictions to young drivers. Can't drive with passengers (besides guardians), can't drive after dark, etc. These are fairly common laws in many states I do believe. I think it's more for the ages of 16-18 in many states, Regardless, they have a step-up system.

And Matty, when I see a dick move, it's normally a Maryland tag -- regardless of age.

GTripp0012 12-16-2009 08:41 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;640516]While we're at it how about more restrictions on drivers under 20? Seems that whenever I see someone on the road pulling a dick move, it's usually some kid who doesn't even look old enough to be driving.[/quote]I still think we have the drinking age and the driving age backwards.

Smooter 12-16-2009 09:09 PM

While were at it, how about euthanasia for the elderly?

SolidSnake84 12-17-2009 07:12 AM

Isn't that what the Death Panels will do??

firstdown 12-17-2009 11:37 AM

[quote=saden1;640677]Don't worry folks, ObamaCare's death panels will take care of these old sons of bitches.[/quote]

He can reduce both health ins. and car ins. using these death panels removing them from the risk pool.

jsarno 12-17-2009 12:21 PM

I certainly agree with this thread. I was taught that driving was a privelage, not a right. Those that abuse those rights should be punished. Those that can't be safe, need to have their license taken away. You don't do what is best for that person, you do what is best for the population as a whole.
Someone else pointed out that it should not be the state's problem cause some elderly guy / girl killed someone due to wreckless driving. But why not put them in an elderly home, sell their car to help pay for it too? We need to do something with them when they can't drive anymore. I see a ton of old people that can't drive, but they haven't caused accidents...yet. They swerve in the lanes, turn randomly etc. This happens A LOT more than people think...just ask residents of Florida.
It's pretty obvious what we are doing is not working, so it's time to get creative and actually stop the incapable of driving. Taking away licenses / having new laws to test over 65/70 is only part of the answer. There are plenty that will still drive regardless of license. This causes a larger issue.

firstdown 12-17-2009 01:00 PM

Back when I first opened my office I work with alot of used car lots to bind insurance over the phone for people who do not have ins. could get it and drive theri new car home. I was just amazed at some of the driving records a saw and the amount of people who had suspended lic. out buying a car. I was also amazed at how bad some of the drv. records were and the people still held a valid lic. We actually have a DMV issue in the US more then anything else. Its also politicaly tough to go after the eldery as they are a strong voting block.

Trample the Elderly 12-17-2009 01:25 PM

[quote=Smooter;640781]While were at it, how about euthanasia for the elderly?[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about!