Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34164)

firstdown 12-18-2009 04:29 PM

Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

[quote=warriorzpath;642081]It's not a waste of time when at least they are given a chance, even if it's a small chance that they may get the job.

That's all you can ask for is a chance.[/quote]
edit edit

firstdown 12-18-2009 04:32 PM

[quote=SkinsFanSince91;641966]Well, Im going to assume that most in here are not people of color. For those who are of color, we find it hard to just "accept" things off of merit, when it comes to race, just because someone says that they followed the rules.

The Rooney rule is a positive step in the right direction for diversity amongst the head coaching and GM ranks in the NFL. However, it is far from being perfect, and even farther from actually having an working long term. When one can use the current loopholes to bypass the system, it defeats the purpose when we see a guy resigns and then a replacements in less than 24 hours. I am skeptical of the time it took from hearing about Cerrato's resignation to the time we found out the Allen would be replacing him.

Now, can we honestly sit here and say, with that time frame, that there was enough time to SERIOUSLY consider an African American, Asian America or Hispanic/Latino for the GM job? I seriously doubt that is possible.

I honestly feel that if Dan Snyder did follow the Rooney Rule, it was just so that he could pacify the league. He really just wanted to bypass the system so he could get his man. Snyder is a man who likes to get what he wants by any means necessary, and it would make perfect sense for him to say he considered someone seriously when all he did was go through the motions in order to get Allen.

Now, if there is anyone who doubts me, you can help us all find the truth if we can answer these two requests:

1) find out the minority or minorities that we did interview for GM job

2) then lets find out how many people of color(that are not Jerry Gray or Greg Blache) we interview before Shannahan, Gruden, Cowher, or Holmgren show up in Burgundy and Gold.

Im just saying, don't be so quick to drink the Kool-Aid. Racism still exists. I applaud TO Killa for bringing this up, and I pray that all those who are not in the "minority" would take this issue seriously, because one day those in the majority may find themselves in the minority.

A wise man once said, "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first." Things have a way of correcting themselves, while teaching a valuable lesson. One would be wise to heed such a lesson.[/quote]
Why not force black coaches to interview more white players because all they really want is a chance?

warriorzpath 12-18-2009 04:33 PM

[quote=firstdown;642112]edit edit[/quote]
what does that mean?

vallin21 12-18-2009 04:40 PM

[quote=firstdown;642113][B]Why not force black coaches to interview more white players because all they really want is a chance?[/B][/quote]

:lol: Seriously, who doesn't think Synder complied with the Rooney Rule for the GM job? It's important to give minorities a chance and it's not hurting anyone so keep it.

Kalisto2010 12-18-2009 04:44 PM

Wait a minute. So all of you who're against the Rooney rule actually believe since the NFL's inception that Art Shell, Dennis Green, Herm Edwards, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin, Ray Rhodes, and Tony Dungy were the only Black coaches qualified to coach in the NFL? Of course the best man should get the job. However, the NFL has always been reluctant to allow Blacks to assume leadership roles. Denying that fact is being intellectually dishonest. We're talking about a league that tried to make Warren Moon a wide receiver when he arrived in the NFL, despite him winning 5 straight Grey Cups - this occurred not even 25 years ago. The Rooney rule doesn't stipulate that White coaches won't get interviewed, it stipulates that at least one Black guy will be interviewed. So out of the 3 or 4 candidates that get interviewed for a specific job, the owners are required to ensure that at least one of them are Black. Big friggin deal.

firstdown 12-18-2009 04:49 PM

[quote=warriorzpath;642114]what does that mean?[/quote]
The point I tried to make was not very good so I just put in Edit Edit to erase it.

firstdown 12-18-2009 04:56 PM

[quote=Kalisto2010;642118]Wait a minute. [SIZE=4]So all of you who're against the Rooney rule actually believe since the NFL's inception that Art Shell, Dennis Green, Herm Edwards, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin, Ray Rhodes, and Tony Dungy were the only Black coaches qualified to coach in the NFL? [/SIZE]Of course the best man should get the job. However, [SIZE=4]the NFL has always been reluctant to allow Blacks to assume leadership roles.[/SIZE] Denying that fact is being intellectually dishonest. We're talking about a league that tried to make Warren Moon a wide receiver when he arrived in the NFL, despite him winning 5 straight Grey Cups - this occurred not even 25 years ago. The Rooney rule doesn't stipulate that White coaches won't get interviewed, it stipulates that at least one Black guy will be interviewed. So out of the 3 or 4 candidates that get interviewed for a specific job, the owners are required to ensure that at least one of them are Black. Big friggin deal.[/quote]
You could also list all the white coaches and ask the same question and get the same answer. I would add that I think those coaches you listed would have made it to the top with or without the rodney rule.

The second thing I made bold. It would be fair to say that the NFL in the past was reluctant to allow Blacks to assume a leadership role. That could be said for just about any major corporation years back but in todays world that is just not reality and more. Last time I looked the most powerful man in the world was black.

Kalisto2010 12-18-2009 05:19 PM

[quote=firstdown;642126]You could also list all the white coaches and ask the same question and get the same answer.[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean here?

[quote]The second thing I made bold. It would be fair to say that the NFL in the past was reluctant to allow Blacks to assume a leadership role. That could be said for just about any major corporation years back but in todays world that is just not reality and more. Last time I looked the most powerful man in the world was black.[/quote]

I agree, institutional Racism no longer exists nor does it adversely affect our society. The SEC is a shinning example that proves that both Black and White coaches have an equal opportunity to coach any where they want. And the only reason there's only one Black coach in the six major bowl conferences - is because there's only been one Black guy qualified for the job. I'm positive institutional racism played no part.

Dirtbag59 12-18-2009 05:30 PM

Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

[quote=dmek25;641985]as much as i hate to admit this, i agree. im friends with a ton of minorities, and they all hate affirmative action, which is what this is loosely based on. lets go with qualifications, not skin pigmentation[/quote]

Affirmative action was definitely necessary at one point in time, when the good old boy network really was the way people went about hiring. However we have moved on since then and I think people really don't care about skin color anymore. The NFL is about winning, and whoever gives you the best chance gets the job. So yeah definitely agree.

Longtimefan 12-18-2009 06:24 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;641923]I don't think it's necessary to ask whether the Skins followed the rules because that has been a non-issue from the start. The commish is satisfied they did, so let's move on.[/quote]

I agree Matty...I mentioned the same thing in another thread that wasn't appropiate for it, but mentioned it nontheless. If the Commish is satisfied that's all that matters.

Zerohero 12-18-2009 08:13 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;641974]I'm with the people who say that it is unfair to waste the minority's time with the interview, when it is obvious that the team already has someone that they want to hire.

I would not want to be the minority person whose time is wasted just for the sake of a team pacifying the rule...[/quote]

maybe the minority hits a homerun in the interview. it can happen, zorn went from OC to HC with some good interviews.

Not directed to Solidsnake, but the second you imply one race is generally racist you lose all credibility in these discussions.

mlmdub130 12-18-2009 08:19 PM

[quote=Zerohero;642171]maybe the minority hits a homerun in the interview. it can happen, [B]zorn went from OC to HC with some good interviews[/B].

Not directed to Solidsnake, but the second you imply one race is generally racist you lose all credibility in these discussions.[/quote]

???? he got the job cause nobody else wanted it

Zerohero 12-18-2009 08:48 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;642173]???? he got the job cause nobody else wanted it[/quote]

i bet some minoritys wanted it

WaldSkins 12-18-2009 10:25 PM

Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

[quote=Dirtbag359;642137]Affirmative action was definitely necessary at one point in time, when the good old boy network really was the way people went about hiring. However we have moved on since then and I think people really don't care about skin color anymore. The NFL is about winning, and whoever gives you the best chance gets the job. So yeah definitely agree.[/quote]

Agreed. If the redskins can sign Shannahan, why should they have to interview someone else?

GMScud 12-18-2009 10:43 PM

I think the Rooney Rule is so stupid. Hire the best man for the job. Head coaches both black and white have proven they can coach at a high level and win Super Bowls. If a team has their sights set on a coach who happens to be white, why go through the motions of interviewing a minority candidate just for the sake of it? It's wasting the time of both parties.

Hire the best man for the job. Who gives a crap what his skins color is. There are several very solid black head coaches in the league and dozens more assistants.