Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Could Doug Williams be next? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34169)

Paintrain 12-18-2009 10:59 PM

Could Doug Williams be next?

From ESPN Insider:
[I]While we sort through all the rumors zipping around the Internet about Mike Shanahan coming in to coach the Washington Redskins, a man who works for another NFL team -- but who guided the Redskins to a Super Bowl as a quarterback -- might be brought in the mix too.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers director of pro personnel Doug Williams could be headed to Washington to take on a similar position, according to some speculation from Bucs blog Joe Bucs Fan. There has already been some indication that Williams would not be retained by the Bucs following this season, and a return to Washington would have a symbolic impact, not to mention the actual capacity that Williams has shown for the job.[/I]

It would be nice to get Doug back in the fold. I am really interested in seeing how this whole organizational structure is going to look in about 6 weeks. We should have a pretty good idea of what the coaching staff looks like, what the front office decision making process will be and maybe some indications on what we're planning to do with some of the roster as well.

CRedskinsRule 12-18-2009 11:09 PM

Re: Could Doug Williams be next?

[quote=Paintrain;642200]From ESPN Insider:
[I]While we sort through all the rumors zipping around the Internet about Mike Shanahan coming in to coach the Washington Redskins, a man who works for another NFL team -- but who guided the Redskins to a Super Bowl as a quarterback -- might be brought in the mix too.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers director of pro personnel Doug Williams could be headed to Washington to take on a similar position, according to some speculation from Bucs blog Joe Bucs Fan. There has already been some indication that Williams would not be retained by the Bucs following this season, and a return to Washington would have a symbolic impact, not to mention the actual capacity that Williams has shown for the job.[/I]

It would be nice to get Doug back in the fold. I am really interested in seeing how this whole organizational structure is going to look in about 6 weeks. We should have a pretty good idea of what the coaching staff looks like, what the front office decision making process will be and maybe some indications on what we're planning to do with some of the roster as well.[/quote]

I don't have any sources, but I am sure it is a DD (Done Deal)

skinsfaninok 12-18-2009 11:51 PM

Well the more football minds the better... Shanahan will instantly make us a playoff contender every year that he is here!!

SFREDSKIN 12-18-2009 11:57 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;642212]Well the more football minds the better... Shanahan will instantly make us a playoff contender every year that he is here!![/quote]

Don't laugh, but so could Zorn if they rebuilt the OL in the off season.

Ruhskins 12-19-2009 12:04 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;642212]Well the [B]more football minds[/B] the better... Shanahan will instantly make us a playoff contender every year that he is here!![/quote]

It's funny that you mention this, because that has been one of the biggest criticisms we have of Snyder, having Vinny as the only "football mind". I like the direction that the team is taking in this regard.

cpayne5 12-19-2009 12:04 AM

Morocco Brown currently has the title of Director of Pro Personnel. Isn't he widely regarded as a rising star in the league? Doug Williams's name means more around here, but I'd rather have the more highly qualified guy in that position.

53Fan 12-19-2009 01:01 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;642214]Don't laugh, but so could Zorn if they rebuilt the OL in the off season.[/quote]

I agree. Some of the coaches whose names are being tossed about I'm not a big fan of but....I feel like with the groundwork that has been laid down the last 2 years with the offense, as long as we continue with the WCO and restock the o-line we should have a good competitive winning team next year. Of course there are a couple of other holes to fill but this team is getting better and whoever the coach is, he's catching a team on the rise IMO.

GTripp0012 12-19-2009 01:03 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;642214]Don't laugh, but so could Zorn if they rebuilt the OL in the off season.[/quote]Tis true. Zorn had the parts to get it done, but again, a lot of them were hidden under a whole lot of useless non contributors who couldn't beat Detroit or Kansas City. Vinny was responsible for finding the talent that could have made us a playoff team, and for having all the dead weight on the roster. And it's dead weight that a coach without a whole lot of pull couldn't really get through before it all got hurt.

warpaint 12-19-2009 01:09 AM

What exactly does Director of Pro Personnel do?

Now if this is the case wouldnt it lean more to Gruden coming here. When we were on Monday Night earlier in the year Gruden looked so intense when they would cut to him as he was breaking down the team. He was standing up with his chucky glare in full force. Now I havent seen him that way with any other team.

What offense does Shanahan run? I believe Gruden runs the WCO.

pg86 12-19-2009 02:03 AM

How bout Doug williams as a head coach? just saying

tryfuhl 12-19-2009 02:22 AM

[quote=warpaint;642251]What exactly does Director of Pro Personnel do?

Now if this is the case wouldnt it lean more to Gruden coming here. When we were on Monday Night earlier in the year Gruden looked so intense when they would cut to him as he was breaking down the team. He was standing up with his chucky glare in full force. Now I havent seen him that way with any other team.

What offense does Shanahan run? I believe Gruden runs the WCO.[/quote]
Shanahan also runs a WCO style offense that he picked up in the 49ers under Seifert, making him a branch on the Walsh tree. He started in the NFL as a qb coach and o-coord under Dan Reeves, but not sure what type of O that the Broncos ran then.

warpaint 12-19-2009 02:23 AM

[quote=pg86;642264]How bout Doug williams as a head coach? just saying[/quote]

Thats like getting another Zorn no expierence,DS is looking for a big splash.

warpaint 12-19-2009 02:35 AM

[quote=tryfuhl;642267]Shanahan also runs a WCO style offense that he picked up in the 49ers under Seifert, making him a branch on the Walsh tree. He started in the NFL as a qb coach and o-coord under Dan Reeves, but not sure what type of O that the Broncos ran then.[/quote]

If we keep JC for another season which I thinking might happen then thats good he runs the WCO. For some reason I dont care for Shanahan but anything is better than Zorn nice guy and all but in his press confrence he talks to the reporters like children the way he explains him self and that gets under my skin.

tryfuhl 12-19-2009 03:07 AM

[quote=warpaint;642270]If we keep JC for another season which I thinking might happen then thats good he runs the WCO. For some reason I dont care for Shanahan but anything is better than Zorn nice guy and all but in his press confrence he talks to the reporters like children the way he explains him self and that gets under my skin.[/quote]
Yeah, maybe a fresh start will be good for Shanny though, would be interesting to see who gets final word on the personnel.

12thMan 12-19-2009 03:48 AM

I think Shanny runs a variation of the WCO, but not the same style as we currently see here now. Also, we can expect more finese and zone blocking along the offesive line.

warpaint 12-19-2009 04:08 AM

I do like that he has always had good o-linemen and a nice running game. Him coming here would really put CP out the picture. I dont mind him coming here once he puts the B&G on Ill be behind him maybe the new scenery and the time off might be what he needs.

wolfeskins 12-19-2009 08:27 AM

[quote=12thMan;642277]I think Shanny runs a variation of the WCO, but not the same style as we currently see here now. Also, we can expect more finese and zone blocking along the offesive line.[/quote]

yea, it's somewhat different. i've always liked the broncos offense under shanny. i like the way he moves the qb out of the pocket with a lot of rollouts and such, but i'm not sure if that would be good for campbell. campbell is more of a pocket passer.

colt brennan could be a good fit for shanny's rollout offense though:)

SmootSmack 12-19-2009 08:44 AM

[quote=warpaint;642251]What exactly does Director of Pro Personnel do?

What offense does Shanahan run? I believe Gruden runs the WCO.[/quote]

Director of Pro Personnel is responsible for scouting of current NFL players, CFL players, UFL, etc. He oversees what free agents to go after, trades to make, oversees the practice squads. His own teams and others. Oversees advanced scouting, keeps an eye on all NFL transaction workouts, oversees in-season try-outs.

Loyal readers of the Warpath know that DW was mentioned as an option here many months back.

I did give Matty inaccurate information in my text to him last night though. Williams doesn't necessarily think he has more upside in Tampa. He think he may not have as much upside in DC. Williams is not as highly considered as far as being an exec as Morocco Brown.

I wonder if Brown gets bumped up (and Scott Campbell out) and Williams comes in under Brown?

Longtimefan 12-19-2009 09:31 AM

I would have no problem with Doug Williams having some position with the team if Bruce Allen wanted to re-unite him with the community.

We have a young man in place that IMO is more than qualified to do what Doug would come here to do. Nothing against him, I just think Morocco Brown has a great future.

GTripp, SFREDSKIN, 53fan, it's good to see you all feel the same way I do as far as what could/should/needs to be done to keep Zorn here as coach. It's not likely going to happen, but contrary to the belief of many I'm not convinced any of these new/different coaches will prove to be any better than Zorn could eventually turn out to be.

No one is going to argue the fact that Zorn has not made mistakes as a HC but let's be real, what coach with as little experience as Zorn has hasn't? I actually expected his mistakes and thought it would be worse because of his limited experience. All of what happened on his watch was not due to coaching, there were circumstances beyond his control that contributed to his demise.

Sometimes change is good, but only if you're convinced change is for the better as opposed to change for the sake of it. The grass is not always greener, and because a coach had success somewhere else dosen't neccessarily mean that once he crosses the Potomac that success is going to translate..........my rant is over.

skinsfan69 12-19-2009 11:33 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;642212]Well the more football minds the better... Shanahan will instantly make us a playoff contender every year that he is here!![/quote]

Mike Shanahan isn't god. He can't block for the QB. Or he can't make 23 yard FG's. You win with players, not coaches.

skinsfan69 12-19-2009 11:37 AM

It's a nice public relations move but I'm not sure about bringing in Doug. Does he have a successful history of scouting players? Is he any better than Brown or Campbell? In the end Allen is going to bring in his own guys so I'm sure Williams will be here soon.

Lotus 12-19-2009 11:53 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;642291]Director of Pro Personnel is responsible for scouting of current NFL players, CFL players, UFL, etc. He oversees what free agents to go after, trades to make, oversees the practice squads. His own teams and others. Oversees advanced scouting, keeps an eye on all NFL transaction workouts, oversees in-season try-outs.

Loyal readers of the Warpath know that DW was mentioned as an option here many months back.

I did give Matty inaccurate information in my text to him last night though. Williams doesn't necessarily think he has more upside in Tampa. He think he may not have as much upside in DC. Williams is not as highly considered as far as being an exec as Morocco Brown.

I wonder if Brown gets bumped up (and Scott Campbell out) and Williams comes in under Brown?[/quote]

Do you think that we might keep Scott Campbell?

BigHairedAristocrat 12-19-2009 11:57 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;642291]Director of Pro Personnel is responsible for scouting of current NFL players, CFL players, UFL, etc. He oversees what free agents to go after, trades to make, oversees the practice squads. His own teams and others. Oversees advanced scouting, keeps an eye on all NFL transaction workouts, oversees in-season try-outs.

I wonder if Brown gets bumped up (and Scott Campbell out) and Williams comes in under Brown?[/quote]

I hope Brown and Campbell both stay with Brown possibly getting a promotion. As far as Williams, i don't really see any reason to bring him in. Seems too much like a publicity stunt to me. If we bring in anyone from the outside, I'd much rather have DeCosta.

Paintrain 12-19-2009 12:09 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;642339]I hope Brown and Campbell both stay with Brown possibly getting a promotion. As far as Williams, i don't really see any reason to bring him in. Seems too much like a publicity stunt to me. If we bring in anyone from the outside, I'd much rather have DeCosta.[/quote]

I don't know that I'd call it a publicity 'stunt' but it probably would be equal parts PR and football. I don't think DeCosta would come over for a lateral position.

SmootSmack 12-19-2009 12:14 PM

[quote=Lotus;642337]Do you think that we might keep Scott Campbell?[/quote]

I don't know. I mean he must be doing something right to stay through so many regimes and move up the ladder.

BigHairedAristocrat 12-19-2009 12:16 PM

[quote=Paintrain;642343]I don't know that I'd call it a publicity 'stunt' but it probably would be equal parts PR and football. I don't think DeCosta would come over for a lateral position.[/quote]

probably not, unless they offered him more money and/or responsiblity.

skinsfaninok 12-19-2009 01:26 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;642329]Mike Shanahan isn't god. He can't block for the QB. Or he can't make 23 yard FG's. You win with players, not coaches.[/quote]

Exactly!! Shanny will bring players in that can get the job done.. Zorn never had control of bringing in his own players.. Mike And Bruce will get the right guys for their system.

warpaint 12-19-2009 02:38 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;642329]Mike Shanahan isn't god. He can't block for the QB. Or he can't make 23 yard FG's. [B]You win with players, not coaches.[/B][/quote]

This is true, but good coaching can turn good players into great ones.

If L.Landry would be coached up he could be turned into one very good player only his abilities are not being fined tuned. He gots speed and has the balls to put a hit on you. It just noone is telling him to ease of the the hit stick its as they incourage it for instance him biting on the double move of here lately. Fundementals like wrapping up the runner has been a big thing this year not just for Laron but every one else. That all start with the coaching I agree a coach cant block or kick but he can coach'em up if he is any good.

warpaint 12-19-2009 02:58 PM

Thats an important job. He has done will with filling in the holes he has had to fill due to injuries. I never would have imagined it.

SBXVII 12-19-2009 04:37 PM

Here's his bio from Tampa;

[url=http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staffdetail.aspx?staffid=424]Buccaneers.com | Staff[/url]

SBXVII 12-19-2009 04:42 PM

Here is DeCosta's;

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Staff/Player_Personnel/Eric_DeCosta.aspx]Baltimore Ravens | People | Eric DeCosta[/url]

SBXVII 12-19-2009 04:43 PM

Who else were we thinking about?

SBXVII 12-19-2009 05:02 PM

Here's one of the others named Bobby Depaul

[url=http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8]Front Office Bio - Chicago Bears[/url]

SmootSmack 12-19-2009 05:20 PM

[quote=SBXVII;642424]Here's his bio from Tampa;

[url=http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staffdetail.aspx?staffid=424]Buccaneers.com | Staff[/url][/quote]

8 kids! Wow!

Lotus 12-19-2009 06:50 PM

We could show Redskins pride and get Dexter Manley for the job. :)

warpaint 12-19-2009 06:56 PM

Dexter Manley is some type of crazy!

diehardskin2982 12-19-2009 07:45 PM

Eric De Costa would be awesome in my eyes.

SmootSmack 12-19-2009 08:05 PM

DeCosta's not coming

Mark Arteaga is another guy who might be added to the staff

SouperMeister 12-19-2009 08:58 PM

[quote=12thMan;642277]I think Shanny runs a variation of the WCO, but not the same style as we currently see here now. Also, [B]we can expect more finese and zone blocking along the offesive line.[/B][/quote]If the hire is Shanahan, I hope he brings Alex Gibb to coach the O-line. Theirs was a marriage made in heaven with Denver's devastating zone blocking that enabled many a back to rush for 1000 yards.

SouperMeister 12-19-2009 09:22 PM

[quote=SBXVII;642431]Here's one of the others named Bobby Depaul

[URL="http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8"]Front Office Bio - Chicago Bears[/URL][/quote]I'd love to see us go after Depaul. He's from Bowie, and got his start in the NFL with the Skins.