Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Violence in pro sports. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=342)

johnnyredskin63 03-09-2004 05:59 PM

Violence in pro sports.

did anybody see the hit from last night where one hockey player sucker punched the other and bulldogged his head into the ice?the guy who got bulldogged ended up with a broken neck.the nhl is supposed to announce how long the other guy is going to be banned.when i saw it i almost cried.
that guy needs to be arrested and charged with attempted murder.i do'nt care if it was in the heat of battle,sports and civility cross a very thin line in my view.that a$$hole needs to go to jail for what he willfully did to that guy.

Gmanc711 03-09-2004 06:03 PM

That was the biggest bush league move I have ever seen in my 18 years. I'm dead serious, they were saying how some hockey cases have lead to prosecutions, I think this should be no different. If they wanna drop the gloves and go at it and kick the hell outta each other, more power too them, I hope they do. Last nights move was the most classless moves I ever saw. I hope that jackass is jailed, or at least banned from PRO HOCKEY for life, cause lord knows if the NHL will still be around. But I agree 100%

johnnyredskin63 03-09-2004 06:08 PM

the last time i saw a cheap shot of that level was in the 70s when kermit washington hit rudy tomjonovich in the face with all his might.that guy will be the first athelete in recent memory to go on trial for something that occured during a game.the only thing that can save him is the other guy asking for the matter to be dropped and if he does he's a better person than most everybody else is.

Daseal 03-09-2004 06:53 PM

I understand how little tiffs can occur during a game, I havent actually seen the footage of this, Ill go turn on sportscenter. However this seems totally unreasonable. I hope they prosecute him for it, and the team takes his salary, etc.

Gmanc711 03-09-2004 07:18 PM

Its on ESPN Motion @ ESPN.com if you get a chance to look at it

azskinsfan2 03-09-2004 07:46 PM

I haven't seen it yet either but if it was as you all described, he should be banned for life and definitely prosecuted to the max!!! I agree, two hockey players fighting one on one is their choice and usually doesn't end in too many serious injuries. Apparently this guy never even saw it coming.

RedskinRat 03-09-2004 07:53 PM

I'm a big hockey fan, I love to see a fair fight within the context of a hard fought game but from all accounts this was just ugly and cowardly.

I find it hard to believe that Bertuzzi would do something that low but if he did he may not get a chance to play again and he'd deserve it.

offiss 03-09-2004 08:08 PM

Betruzzi lost his cool, moore wouldn't fight him so he got fustraighted and drilled him from behind, the devastation wasen't so much the punch because he had his glove on he did hit him in the side of the head, but he hit his helmit, the real damage occured after he hit him he used his momentum to drive his head forward into the ice as they fell, that's where the real damage took place, If he didn't do that moore probably skates off under his own power and betruzzi is playing again sometime this year. As it stand's now betruzzi has a real problem in hockey and possibly with the law as well.

sportscurmudgeon 03-09-2004 09:11 PM

johnnyredskin63:

Other atheltes have been prosecuted - and found guilty - for in-game violence. The most recent one I can recall was Marty McSorley in the NHL for his use of the stick to the back of Donald Brashear's head.

A baseball player was found guilty of throwing a ball at - and killing - an osprey during spring training last year. Can't remember his name...

MTK 03-09-2004 09:20 PM

Nothing more cowardly than swinging on a guy who has his back to you. Bertuzzi should face a season long ban from the NHL and a hefty fine at the very least.

Cush 03-09-2004 09:26 PM

[quote]The most recent one I can recall was Marty McSorley [/quote]

I think this is worse than the McSorley incident. The Canucks (Brad May, I think) had put a 'bounty' on Moore, this was premeditated.

Bertuzzi is responsible for the severity of the injury, but having all those other players piling on didn't help.

Scott 03-09-2004 10:08 PM

what a bunch of cowards, its one thing to determine that you are looking to get a good hit on somebody before a game...which happens all the time..but to head hunt from behind is just cowboyish..

itvnetop 03-09-2004 11:26 PM

on the canucks messageboards, most of the fans understand that what happened was pretty disgusting (and has no place in sports). there are still a few fans that actually say that what bertuzzi did wasn't as bad as at seems...

when i see support of the perpetrator like this, it really bugs me how team allegiences can cloud certain people's perspectives on incidents like last night. we all love sports and our home teams, but i can't believe a few fans actually thought the hit wasn't "that bad."

skinsfanthru&thru 03-10-2004 12:09 AM

I can't help but cringe whenever they show the replay of what happened. and after he'd smashed the guy's head into the ground he got in a couple more punches. With something of this nature being premeditated, he has to be suspended for more than the 20 or so games a lot of hockey people r saying will be the penalty. The guy who got attacked is actually not only for the injury not likely to be career ending but more importantly he's lucky he didn't die as a result of this cowardly attack. this is why it's hard to get into hockey and baseball sometimes cuz guys and teammates carry over grudges and try to get revenge when they get a chance. sooner or later one of these types of attacks will result in a prison sentence and maybe things will get cleaned up a bit. there's no room in sports for revenge like this.

beg8878 03-10-2004 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Gmanc711]Its on ESPN Motion @ ESPN.com if you get a chance to look at it[/QUOTE]

for some reason I can;t get the video there. Anyone know another link where I can find it?