Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DC Area broadcaster George Michael passes away (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34301)

44Deezel 12-24-2009 12:51 PM

Re: DC Area broadcaster George Michael passes away

Very sad. I loved GM. I especially remember taping the Sport's Machine plays of the year and watching them over and over again when I was a kid. He'd show hilarious clips from random sports events like Jack Russell Terrier racing.

When I moved to Annapolis a 6 years ago, I originally had DirecTV hooked up, but replaced it immediately when I found out I couldn't get the DC local stations. The show I could not live without was Redskins Report. Cancer is a bitch. We need to find a cure for that shit!

DynamiteRave 12-24-2009 01:12 PM

Man I was surprised to hear about this. I know he was kinda old, but he always seemed in good spirits, good health, etc.

Man Redskins Report won't ever be the same...

birdz4gibbs 12-24-2009 01:13 PM

rip george..

irish 12-24-2009 01:20 PM

George was a living legend. The Sports Machine was the precursor to ESPN's Sports Center and the countdown clock format used on PTI (and almost every other "debate" show now) was used on the buzzer beater part of his Full Court Press show long before PTI was even thought of. George was way ahead of his time and sports in DC hasnt been as good since he retired. He is missed.

FRPLG 12-24-2009 01:25 PM

[quote=irish;645601]George was a living legend. The Sports Machine was the precursor to ESPN's Sports Center and the countdown clock format used on PTI (and almost every other "debate" show now) was used on the buzzer beater part of his Full Court Press show long before PTI was even thought of. George was way ahead of his time and sports in DC hasnt been as good since he retired. He is missed.[/quote]

Very true. George was very much a pioneer. He had a huge radio career before he switched to sports. His biggest asset was his ability to spot talent. NBC4 always had the best backup anchors in DC.

mlmdub130 12-24-2009 01:57 PM

loved the wednesday wrestling when u was a kid...rip

SmootSmack 12-24-2009 03:01 PM

RIP. As a kid growing up in DC, he was must-see tv. As an adult, working in the sports media idustry, for me (and many others) Michael was a pioneer

tryfuhl 12-24-2009 03:15 PM

Oh man.. I'm 26 but remember him very well, sad day for the DC area and beyond.

RIP George

Hogroll 12-24-2009 03:30 PM

He loved his job, was great to watch.

Longtimefan 12-24-2009 04:07 PM

I just heard this news at 4:00 pm. My prayers and condolences go out to the Michael family. He was one of a kind and will surely be missed...RIP George.

Ruhskins 12-24-2009 04:35 PM

Wow, very sad news. Like many I grew up watching the Sports Machine and watching him do the sports section in the 11 o'clock news on NBC 4. RIP GM.

12thMan 12-24-2009 05:03 PM

Wow, I'm just seeing this. Pretty much the same as many have already commented; I grew up watching George Michael. There's was this certain pride I had, I guess, that his program was locally produced, but aired across the nation. I would wait for Sunday night highlights almost like I waited for Monday Night football. A true giant has passed.

mlmdub130 12-24-2009 05:17 PM

they are honoring him on nbc 4 news tonight they just showed an old clip of him and vance laughing when a runway model fell down from 2006, he was great and will be missed

DynamiteRave 12-24-2009 06:13 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;645636]they are honoring him on nbc 4 news tonight they just showed an old clip of him and vance laughing when a runway model fell down from 2006, he was great and will be missed[/quote]

[yt]_0eINGyJHz8[/yt]

Good times. Had the vid favorited for a long time now.

budw38 12-24-2009 08:28 PM

Very sad , Awesome man and a top notch reporter ! Grew up watching him also , the Sports Machine on Sunday nights ... the best sports show in the world . R.I.P. , may you and Glenn Brenner once again have the best one two punch in the world .[url=http://dc.metblogs.com/2006/01/14/remembering-glenn-brenner/]Remembering Glenn Brenner | Washington D.C. Metblogs[/url] .. [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Michael_(sportscaster[/url])