Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Chargers) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34499)

SmootSmack 01-03-2010 08:17 PM

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Chargers)

Finally...the last smackdown of the season

[B]Our Running Game[/B] I know they were in a tough spot but I was hoping one of our guys-Ganther or Mason specifically-would step up and at least be someone we could depend on to be part of the rotation in 2010. But they really haven't shown enough...and they can't block either. We need Jonathan Dwyer...

Eff it...here's to the 2010

Big C 01-03-2010 08:25 PM

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Chargers)

[quote=SmootSmack;649090]Finally...the last smackdown of the season

[B]Our Running Game[/B] I know they were in a tough spot but I was hoping one of our guys-Ganther or Mason specifically-would step up and at least be someone we could depend on to be part of the rotation in 2010. But they really haven't shown enough...and they can't block either. We need Jonathan Dwyer...

Eff it...here's to the 2010[/quote]

dwyer or gerhart. a big monster who can break tackles. but yeah we have had a terrible running game all year. nothing much else we can say about what went wrong, weve been saying the same thing all season.

Redskins8588 01-03-2010 08:27 PM

[B]
Eff it...here's to the 2010[/B][/quote]

I couldn't agree more!!! Our starters couldn't beat their backups... PITIFUL!!!

Gmanc711 01-03-2010 08:53 PM

Eff it...here's to the 2010[/quote]

I honestly was kinda of impressed this year by Gainther as a whole... not like he NEEDS to be here next year type of impressed, but I thought he was OK overall....

Smackdown on Justin Tryon... I mean in hindsight, we needed to lose today, in the long run, its much better...but you had the game won, in your hands and you dropped it. Its crap like that which is why we're 4-12. Not that we dont have a slew of other problems, but god forbid this game was to get into the playoffs and you drop and interception like that.... really all DB's...just catch the f**king football.

Lotus 01-03-2010 09:01 PM

Hopefully Shanahan works his running back magic right away.

skinsfaninok 01-03-2010 09:17 PM

Not being a homer but folks this team will be much better next year, I gurantee it. Shanahan will bring his run style and playaction offense. Idk about drafting a rb too early but I could see him bringing in a fa rb.. Maybe mike bell or jerrious norwood.. Campbell will be gone and it seems like he wants to leave anyway, you could see his reaction after the game. Our d will be improved and if we get zimmer it could be a top 5 defense. I'm not saying we are a playoff team next year but I guarantee we won't be 4-12!!

Dirtbag59 01-03-2010 09:20 PM

[B]Bruce Allen: [/B]We haven't won a single game since you took over as Executive VP GM Warlock of the Dead Sea!!!! Bring back Vinny, he's won 12 games since 2008.

Beemnseven 01-03-2010 09:23 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;649120]I honestly was kinda of impressed this year by Gainther as a whole... not like he NEEDS to be here next year type of impressed, but I thought he was OK overall....

Smackdown on Justin Tryon... I mean in hindsight, we needed to lose today, in the long run, its much better...but you had the game won, in your hands and you dropped it. [B]Its crap like that which is why we're 4-12.[/B] Not that we dont have a slew of other problems, but god forbid this game was to get into the playoffs and you drop and interception like that.... really all DB's...just catch the f**king football.[/quote]

Yep -- we're last in the NFL in takeaways. But that's been a problem going back to Gregg Williams first year here (and perhaps even before that).

Add that to the fact that we didn't score one -- [B][U]not one[/U][/B] -- defensive touchdown all year. It's just indicative of a defense that never was as good as we all thought.

We simply do not have dynamic playmakers on either side of the ball.

skinsfaninok 01-03-2010 09:26 PM

^ our only dynamic player on d is hall, on offense it used be moss but he's getting older.. Hey maybe we can draft mccluster or spiller... O wait we need oline and a qb also!!

Meks 01-03-2010 09:49 PM

hall cant cover for shit.

mlmdub130 01-03-2010 10:01 PM

[B]smoot and tryon[/B] seriously had to be two of the worst drops fro int's ever the one to smoot damn near hit him square in the head, and the one to tryon hit him right in the chest, we need some db's that can catch

i think gatnher could be a solid backup next year if his blocking improves. he hits the hole hard

GMScud 01-03-2010 11:31 PM

[quote=Lotus;649130]Hopefully Shanahan works his running back magic right away.[/quote]

Agreed. I could run for a 1,000 yards in his offense. He turns crap to gold all the time with RBs. I would LOVE to have a CJ Spiller on this team, but I think we'll be better served not drafting a RB too early.

Nomad 01-03-2010 11:37 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;649139]Not being a homer but folks this team will be much better next year, I gurantee it. Shanahan will bring his run style and playaction offense. Idk about drafting a rb too early but I could see him bringing in a fa rb.. Maybe mike bell or jerrious norwood.. Campbell will be gone and it seems like he wants to leave anyway, you could see his reaction after the game. Our d will be improved and if we get zimmer it could be a top 5 defense. I'm not saying we are a playoff team next year but I guarantee we won't be 4-12!![/quote]

I am... I expect nothingless than the playoff's..... We have Superbowl caliber D, and with some tweeks, we should win at least 11 hard fought games.....

Nomad 01-03-2010 11:42 PM

[quote=Big C;649097]dwyer or gerhart. a big monster who can break tackles. but yeah we have had a terrible running game all year. nothing much else we can say about what went wrong, weve been saying the same thing all season.[/quote]

Whats this Hard on with Gerhart, lol, If you think this is John Riggins in the making, trust me he is not.....(John Riggins is never walking through those doors.... those days are over) Gerhart at best is a 5th 6th Round FB, he is not going to come in and save no franchise, and he is not good enough to be in any rotation.....in the NFL, so get over it the guy is a at best... college stud..... that doesnt translate t the NFL

WaldSkins 01-03-2010 11:46 PM

[quote=Nomad;649215]Whats this Hard on with Gerhart, lol, If you think this is John Riggins in the making, trust me he is not.....(John Riggins is never walking through those doors.... those days are over) Gerhart at best is a 5th 6th Round FB, he is not going to come in and save no franchise, and he is not good enough to be in any rotation.....in the NFL, so get over it the guy is a at best... college stud..... that doesnt translate t the NFL[/quote]

Tebow in the first/Gerhart in the second.

Dirtbag59 01-03-2010 11:54 PM

[quote=GMScud;649206]Agreed. I could run for a 1,000 yards in his offense. He turns crap to gold all the time with RBs. I would LOVE to have a CJ Spiller on this team, but I think we'll be better served not drafting a RB too early.[/quote]

Ironically Shannahan was doing a hell of a job with Running Back by committee during his final year in Denver. Check it out for yourself.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=den&year=2008]Denver Broncos Statistics - NFL Football - ESPN[/url]

In short 1,800+ yards with a 4.8 ypc with the bulk of that yardage coming from four different player. I was under the impression that Shannahan had lost his touch with his plug and play running game but according to his 2008 stats in Denver that wasn't the case.

[B]Denver Total Rushing Yardage:[/B]

2009 - 1,752 with a 4.2 ypc (first year without Shannahan)

2008 - 1,862 with a 4.8 ypc

2007- 1,957 with a 4.6 ypc.

2006 - 2,152 with a 4.4 ypc

2005 - 2,539 with a 4.7 ypc

2004 - 2,333 with a 4.4 ypc

2003 - 2,629 with a 4.8 ypc (Portis last year in Denver)

[B]Washington Same Time Frame: (just for comparisons sake)[/B]

2009 - 1,444 with a 3.9 ypc

2008 - 2,095 with a 4.4 ypc

2007 - 1,871 with a 3.8 ypc

2006 - 2,216 with a 4.5 ypc

2005 - 2,183 with a 4.2 ypc

2004 - 1,765 with a 3.7 ypc

2003 - 1,653 with a 3.9 ypc (lol Spurrier)

Main thing I notice about Shannahan's teams were that the ypc average never dipped below 4.4 ypc

Nomad 01-03-2010 11:59 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;649218]Tebow in the first/Gerhart in the second.[/quote]

Yea right... I bet we dont be the fools who draft either one!!!!

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 12:03 AM

[quote=Nomad;649227]Yea right... I bet we dont be the fools who draft either one!!!![/quote]

Still would be better then drafting Heyward-Bay in the top ten.

Nomad 01-04-2010 12:08 AM

[quote=WaldSkins;649230]Still would be better then drafting Heyward-Bay in the top ten.[/quote]

Thats not our problem, we didnt draft Heyward-Bay?

rbanerjee23 01-04-2010 12:08 AM

I just feel for campbell...is he a stud? no, is he a good quarterback? with an average team around him, yes...its just been the worst confluence of events in his 5 years which have made him look like a subpar qb

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 12:12 AM

[quote=Nomad;649233]Thats not our problem, we didnt draft Heyward-Bay?[/quote]

Yeah I realize that, I was just saying that drafting Tebow or Gerhart wouldn't be the worst thing we could do. I wouldn't be too upset with us drafting Gerhart in the 4th or 5th rounds. He has a running style similar to Jacob Hester.

GMScud 01-04-2010 12:21 AM

[quote=rbanerjee23;649235]I just feel for campbell...is he a stud? no, is he a good quarterback? with an average team around him, yes...[B]its just been the worst confluence of events in his 5 years which have made him look like a subpar qb[/B][/quote]

Well said. Totally agree.

Nomad 01-04-2010 02:03 AM

[quote=WaldSkins;649237]Yeah I realize that, I was just saying that drafting Tebow or Gerhart wouldn't be the worst thing we could do. I wouldn't be too upset with us drafting Gerhart in the 4th or 5th rounds. He has a running style similar to Jacob Hester.[/quote]

I rather get a nice player in the 4th or 5th round.... that's not saying much, Jacob Hester is... what I said Gerhart would be, your statement was Tebow 1st round and Gerhart 2nd..... No Fucking way we do that..... if so, we should have keep Vinny and Zorn...... This is suppose to be the New Era, and even if even if Gerhart was available in the 4th... it would be a waste of a pick, Gehart go come to the NFL and realize that, running over players, isnt happening anymore.... 6th round FB is what he is worth......

MTK 01-04-2010 08:09 AM

I'm just glad 2009 is in the books. Still, hard to believe it's over, and worse yet it's hard to believe what went down. Too bad there's no reset button.

irish 01-04-2010 08:40 AM

Once again the vaunnted D needed a stop to win the game and cant get the job done.

skinsfan69 01-04-2010 10:07 AM

And once again gravy boy was on the bench. I mean does it get any worse losing to Norv Turner's back ups???

FRPLG 01-04-2010 10:12 AM

[quote=irish;649338]Once again the vaunnted D needed a stop to win the game and cant get the job done.[/quote]

Here here.

sportscurmudgeon 01-04-2010 04:28 PM

[quote=irish;649338]Once again the vaunnted D needed a stop to win the game and cant get the job done.[/quote]

You got that right!

And to make it worse, it was against the Chargers' junior varsity offense.

There are only 3 players on the defense that I would guarantee a starting slot on next year's squad. In alphabetical order:
[INDENT]Carter
Fletcher
Orakpo[/INDENT]
That's it. That's the list. [B]EVERYONE[/B] else has to come in and beat someone out to get a sniff at the starting line-up.

BigHairedAristocrat 01-04-2010 04:34 PM

[quote=Mattyk;649317]I'm just glad 2009 is in the books. Still, hard to believe it's over, and worse yet it's hard to believe what went down. Too bad there's no reset button.[/quote]

if only we had lost that 2nd philly game last year, perhaps zorn and cerrato would have been distant memories at this point and the "shanaskins" would be in the playoffs right now...

that said, i think the year off was good for shanahan, as he got unprecedented access to visit the patriots and steelers and hopefully learn some new tricks. in the long run, we're probably better off that things worked out the way they did.

mlmdub130 01-04-2010 05:08 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;649235]I just feel for campbell...is he a stud? no, is he a good quarterback? with an average team around him, yes...its just been the worst confluence of events in his 5 years which have made him look like a subpar qb[/quote]

too lazy to look it up but when he was on 106.7 today they said he had better stats oir compairable stats to carson palmer this year, i hope we keep him here next year, he isn't a stud but [B]HE IS OUR BEST OPTION!!![/B]