Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Team was not prepared for "situational football" (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34526)

hurrykaine 01-04-2010 03:10 PM

Re: Team was not prepared for "situational football"

[quote=Mattyk;649416]I found this tidbit to be pretty interesting:

Disappointing to hear something like this. Probably not surprising as Zorn was clearly tossed into the deep end of the pool, but I think it explains a lot as far as what we saw on the field these past 2 seasons.[/quote]

This is very interesting indeed. And I'll bet it was not just Zorn and the offense that didn't prioritize situational football, the defense neglected it too. We couldn't hold on to a single lead when it mattered.

jgalecpa 01-04-2010 04:36 PM

[quote=Mattyk;649686]Nothing wrong with thanking a guy for his hard work and dedication. Obviously he was in over his head as head coach but that wasn't his fault. Gotta fault the guy that put him in that position to begin with.[/quote]

Agreed. If they hired me to be HC and I went 4-12, don't blame me, blame the moron that put me there.

tryfuhl 01-04-2010 09:35 PM

Yeah it seemed fairly obvious that we weren't prepared situationally and I'd even go as far to put one of those situations as the opponent we were getting ready to face.

The Goat 01-04-2010 09:49 PM

Personally I'm sick of hearing folks piss on Zorn. I understand white-hot anger during a game and even through a season where the team repeatedly got embarrassed, but reality is Snyder/Cerratto created this mess when Gibbs quite. We had great coaching talent in Williams/Saunders but the ownership decided to take a big risk on a totally unproven guy. Hopefully lil D has really learned something.

...I actually thought of starting a thread about Snyder's first decade of ownership that nominates him for biggest failure in sports. I mean it's really shocking overall. A guy who tookover a proud franchise, openly boasted that championships were the clear expectation and spent as much as possible to make it happen. He's a complete failure by every standard imaginable including his own, as at this point he's run the franchise right into the ground.

I hope Snyder lets Allen really run the team now and gives him enough time to turn things around...

mlmdub130 01-04-2010 09:54 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;649655]If Zorn's crime was that he was unprepared as a HC, then it was a greater crime to hire him as the HC...there is a Thank You Zorn thread simply because the spoiled child at the head of this organization handled the situation like the asshole that he is whereas Zorn handled it with dignity. Rather than quit on the team mid way through the season, he stuck it out and did his job to his ability...can the same be said of Snyder?[/quote]

imo one of your best posts

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 09:55 PM

[quote=The Goat;649969]Personally I'm sick of hearing folks piss on Zorn. I understand white-hot anger during a game and even through a season where the team repeatedly got embarrassed, [B]but reality is Snyder/Cerratto created this mess when Gibbs quite.[/B] We had great coaching talent in Williams/Saunders but the ownership decided to take a big risk on a totally unproven guy. Hopefully lil D has really learned something.

...I actually thought of starting a thread about Snyder's first decade of ownership that nominates him for biggest failure in sports. I mean it's really shocking overall. A guy who tookover a proud franchise, openly boasted that championships were the clear expectation and spent as much as possible to make it happen. He's a complete failure by every standard imaginable including his own, as at this point he's run the franchise right into the ground.

I hope Snyder lets Allen really run the team now and gives him enough time to turn things around...[/quote]

I am also sick of people always giving Joe Gibbs a free pass for some of the things he did here during his second stint with the team.

SmootSmack 01-04-2010 10:01 PM

Steelers had great coaching talent in Whisenhunt/Grimm and went with the unproven Tomlin. Good for them that it worked out well.

Not sure how saying championships were the clear expectation and spending what's necessary to make it happen makes someone the worst owner ever. What owner isn't going to say championships are the expectation?

But whatever, we haven't won and until we do (even when we do) there will be complaints

53Fan 01-04-2010 10:21 PM

It's not that Snyder wants championships or spends money on the team, it's that he has repeatedly tried it his way when their are obvious examples around the league on how a team should be run and he has chosen to ignore them to satisfy his own ego. When a majority of the league has a GM who runs the team, well...they can't all be wrong. I don't doubt Snyders love for the team, but I do question his judgement and his opinion of himself as far as calling the shots with personell and making sound football decisions. And just like the coach has to take responsibility, he has to take some of the responsibility of the performance of this team the last 10 years because he has chosen to be heavily involved in the decision making.

The Goat 01-04-2010 10:26 PM

I wonder how much Jones' success as GM chaps Snyder's ass?

SmootSmack 01-04-2010 10:28 PM

I don't think that what Snyder has done is all that different from the rest of the league or even our own history. In fact, I know it's not. But I can accept that as a critique of him. If nothing else, because he's been doing it with the wrong people. I mean that's totally valid.

53Fan 01-04-2010 10:46 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;650002]I don't think that what Snyder has done is all that different from the rest of the league or even our own history. In fact, I know it's not. But I can accept that as a critique of him. If nothing else, because he's been doing it with the wrong people. I mean that's totally valid.[/quote]

I'm not trying to out and out bash him, just saying he should share in the responsibility of the last 10 years for the decisions he has made. I think his decision to hire a GM is one of the best he's made since he's owned the team.

tryfuhl 01-04-2010 10:56 PM

[quote=53Fan;650009]I'm not trying to out and out bash him, just saying he should share in the responsibility of the last 10 years for the decisions he has made. I think his decision to hire a GM is one of the best he's made since he's owned the team.[/quote]He admitted to making some mistakes over the past decade, we'll just have to see how well he learns from them. He's not the first and he won't be the last owner to make some bad hires, get a little too involved, etc

Lotus 01-04-2010 11:00 PM

In Snyder's defense (I've never done this before), who among us would not get involved if we had $1bil. invested in an organization? And who among us has never made a mistake about football, other people's skills, etc.?

htownskinfan 01-04-2010 11:03 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;649655]If Zorn's crime was that he was unprepared as a HC, then it was a greater crime to hire him as the HC...there is a Thank You Zorn thread simply because the spoiled child at the head of this organization handled the situation like the asshole that he is whereas Zorn handled it with dignity. Rather than quit on the team mid way through the season, he stuck it out and did his job to his ability...can the same be said of Snyder?[/quote]

I gotta agree with bighair.What do you mean he didnt quit on the team,of course he didnt,quit and you dont get paid,simple as that.Zorn was at least bright enough to figure that out.

53Fan 01-04-2010 11:12 PM

[quote=Lotus;650019]In Snyder's defense (I've never done this before), who among us would not get involved if we had $1bil. invested in an organization? And who among us has never made a mistake about football, other people's skills, etc.?[/quote]

True. But if I was bright enough to have $1bil. I'd probably be bright enough to hire someone who knows the business to run it. :) Your business is usually only as good as the people you hire. I think he's learning from his mistakes though. After 10 years you would think he would.