Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins pick 4th in the draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34534)

rbanerjee23 01-04-2010 07:55 PM

Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Thought I could get a thread started on the basis that the Redskins will pick 4th in the 2010 draft after St. Louis, Detroit, and Tampa Bay

[url=http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_to_Pick_Fourth_Overall_In_2010_NFL_Draft_99035.jsp]Redskins to Pick Fourth Overall In 2010 NFL Draft[/url]

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 07:56 PM

Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

This is being discussed in a few other threads.

Lotus 01-04-2010 08:08 PM

The article is mistaken, it should read, "Because the Redskins played a LESS difficult strength of schedule than Kansas City..."

With the fourth pick I would prioritize thus:
1) trade down (unlikely)
2) Clausen
3) if Clausen is gone, Okung
4) if Okung is gone, Bradford
5) if Bradford is gone, Berry

I'm presuming that there is no way that Suh falls to #4.

The last time that we used a top-5 pick on a QB was 1994 (he shall go unnamed). The last time before that was 1961, when we chose Norm Snead.

my :twocents:

NYCskinfan82 01-04-2010 08:12 PM

Please trade down and pick up more picks and use them to get OL help.

Big C 01-04-2010 08:33 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;649897]Thought I could get a thread started on the basis that the Redskins will pick 4th in the 2010 draft after St. Louis, Detroit, and [B]Kansas city[/B]

[url=http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_to_Pick_Fourth_Overall_In_2010_NFL_Draft_99035.jsp]Redskins to Pick Fourth Overall In 2010 NFL Draft[/url][/quote]

we pick before KC. rams, lions, and bucs are ahead.

skinsfaninok 01-04-2010 08:38 PM

I would be shocked if Sam Bradford isn't the pick, I would love okung but I bet he goes to Detroit

SmootSmack 01-04-2010 08:41 PM

Make sure draft related threads go in the Draft forum please. Thanks

Moving this

PennSkinsFan 01-04-2010 08:58 PM

[url=http://rumorsandreports.com/?p=251]PM Draft Links: Bowman to enter Draft, Clausen to have surgery | rumorsandreports.com[/url]

Clausen will have to surgery. This likely won't hurt his draft status though.

GMScud 01-04-2010 09:07 PM

Todd McShay now has tackle Anthony Davis from Rutgers ranked ahead of Okung. I really don't know much about Davis. Apparently he's a beast and likely to have a really strong combine.

rbanerjee23 01-04-2010 09:07 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;649921]Make sure draft related threads go in the Draft forum please. Thanks

Moving this[/quote]

woops, my mistake...rookie question but how does one access the Draft forum, I didn't see it in the pull down list?

GMScud 01-04-2010 09:09 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;649933]woops, my mistake...rookie question but how does one access the Draft forum, I didn't see it in the pull down list?[/quote]

If you go to "all forums" on the drop down list, you'll see it as a sub-category of the locker room.

[url=http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/]NFL Draft Central - The Warpath[/url]

mlmdub130 01-04-2010 09:14 PM

[quote=GMScud;649932]Todd McShay now has tackle Anthony Davis from Rutgers ranked ahead of Okung. I really don't know much about Davis. Apparently he's a beast and likely to have a really strong combine.[/quote]

he is a beast i mentioned him in one of the other draft threads, unless he has a cazy combine okung should still be the number one o lineman, but davis will be in the first most likely top 15-20 imo

and imo i don't think we can go wrong with okung, berry, or suh, whoever is there, i just don't want clausen, i don't think he has what it takes, and i'd rather get a qb in the 2nd or 3rd if we can pick one up, or skelton those he looked good in those vids ss put up, i still haven't researched him too much where do you think he will go smoot?? round wise obviously

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 09:24 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;649935]he is a beast i mentioned him in one of the other draft threads, unless he has a cazy combine okung should still be the number one o lineman, but davis will be in the first most likely top 15-20 imo

and imo i don't think we can go wrong with okung, berry, or suh, whoever is there, i just don't want clausen, i don't think he has what it takes, and i'd rather get a qb in the 2nd or 3rd if we can pick one up, or skelton those he looked good in those vids ss put up, [B]i still haven't researched him too much where do you think he will g[/B]o smoot?? round wise obviously[/quote]

Everywhere that i've seen had him going in the 5th to 6th round range but i can't see him sliding out of the 4th.

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 09:30 PM

If we were looking to take a QB in the mid rounds i would prefer Pat Devlin over John Skelton.
[url=http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188680]Pat Devlin Stats, News, Photos - Delaware Fightin Blue Hens - NCAA College Football - ESPN[/url]

SmootSmack 01-04-2010 09:33 PM

I think Skelton is probably a 4th or 5th rounder. He'll play in the East-West Shrine Game so that will be huge for him. As well as the combines and pro day. He has the chance to move up to the 2nd-3rd round if he does well in those.

Hail to the Redskins 01-04-2010 09:34 PM

I have a question that I am not sure if anyone has posed to this point...

I heard on the local radio that Allen is already thinking trade some draft picks...
but they made it seem like he could actually use one or some to trade for a PLAYER not other picks..

so the question is... if we end up shocking everyone and trading our 4th pick for a player... who could we get for it? And who would you suggest we could/should try and get with it?

I mean, I could definitely see us trying to trade our 2nd or 4th or something to the Vikings to bring Sage Rosenfels (former Redskins draft pick) because he knows the young Shanahan's system... but who else?

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 09:35 PM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;649946]I have a question that I am not sure if anyone has posed to this point...

I heard on the local radio that Allen is already thinking trade some draft picks...
but they made it seem like he could actually use one or some to trade for a PLAYER not other picks..

so the question is... if we end up shocking everyone and trading our 4th pick for a player... who could we get for it? And who would you suggest we could/should try and get with it?

I mean, I could definitely see us trying to trade our 2nd or 4th or something to the Vikings to bring Sage Rosenfels (former Redskins draft pick) because he knows the young Shanahan's system... but who else?[/quote]

Our 1st to the Broncos for Ryan Clady and Brandon Marshall:headbange

rbanerjee23 01-04-2010 09:36 PM

If he is thinking of trading the 4th pick, honestly, I would like to see an Adrian Peterson kind of talent come over...

Hail to the Redskins 01-04-2010 09:42 PM

ummm.... I guess I should have said "realistically get" with the 4th pick... lol

Texanskin 01-04-2010 09:42 PM

nothing but OL would be a shame.....

mlmdub130 01-04-2010 09:43 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;649944]I think Skelton is probably a 4th or 5th rounder. He'll play in the East-West Shrine Game so that will be huge for him. As well as the combines and pro day. He has the chance to move up to the 2nd-3rd round if he does well in those.[/quote]

he really looked great in those clips if we could snag him in the 5th that would be fine by me, either him or pike in the second, possible third if we can get a pick and he is still there

you still want clausen i'm guessing, i'm just not sold on him, i didn't watch nd too much this year but the few friends i have that do follow nd aren't even sold on him, they say w/o tate he wouldn't be considered that great

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 09:43 PM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;649954]ummm.... I guess I should have said "realistically get" with the 4th pick... lol[/quote]

U might be able to get Clady for the 4th overall

skinsfaninok 01-04-2010 09:44 PM

He also mentioned maybe making Trades to get more picks, does this mean player trades? If so the only legitimate player that we have to trade is Cooley. I wouldn't mind trading him if we can get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. Davis is a very talented player and honestly as we've discussed many times, 2 TE's doesn't work in the NFL. (Ask M.Bennett)

skinsfaninok 01-04-2010 09:45 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;649958]U might be able to get Clady for the 4th overall[/quote]

I seriously doubt Denver would trade one of the premier LT's in the game. I could see Marshall being traded but not Clady.

WaldSkins 01-04-2010 09:48 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;649959]He also mentioned maybe making Trades to get more picks, does this mean player trades? If so the only legitimate player that we have to trade is Cooley. I wouldn't mind trading him if we can get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. Davis is a very talented player and honestly as we've discussed many times, 2 TE's doesn't work in the NFL. (Ask M.Bennett)[/quote]

Cooley is one of a handful of players that i can't see being traded.

SmootSmack 01-04-2010 09:55 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;649957]he really looked great in those clips if we could snag him in the 5th that would be fine by me, either him or pike in the second, possible third if we can get a pick and he is still there

you still want clausen i'm guessing, i'm just not sold on him, i didn't watch nd too much this year but the few friends i have that do follow nd aren't even sold on him, they say w/o tate he wouldn't be considered that great[/quote]

I'm not quite sure who I want. I mean if we draft a QB in the first round (and I kind of feel we should) then I'm torn between Clausen and Bradford. I think each is a potential high-risk, high reward choice.

After that-not sold on Pike, think Snead could make a good pro but have concerns about his mental toughness, not sure Zac Robinson can be an everydown QB, think Dominic Randolph might not be tough enough, and have some doubts about Skelton's maturity level (from some reports I've heard).

I think the one guy I most want is Jonathan Dwyer, RB from Georgia Tech, but not in the 1st round of course.

I'd ideally like to get Bradford/Clausen in the 1st, USC OT Charles Brown in the 2nd and then hope to trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd and get Dwyer

mlmdub130 01-04-2010 10:04 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;649973]I'm not quite sure who I want. I mean if we draft a QB in the first round (and I kind of feel we should) then I'm torn between Clausen and Bradford. I think each is a potential high-risk, high reward choice.

After that-not sold on Pike, think Snead could make a good pro but have concerns about his mental toughness, not sure Zac Robinson can be an everydown QB, think Dominic Randolph might not be tough enough, and have some doubts about Skelton's maturity level (from some reports I've heard).

I think the one guy I most want is Jonathan Dwyer, RB from Georgia Tech, but not in the 1st round of course.

[B]I'd ideally like to get Bradford/Clausen in the 1st, USC OT Charles Brown in the 2nd and then hope to trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd and get Dwyer[/B][/quote]

i like this senario just with berry in the first, after watching that tenn game and just watching him move around i would love to see him here is okung is gone, i like dwyer see what he does tomorrow

schndr_tdd 01-04-2010 10:08 PM

tony pike

tryfuhl 01-04-2010 10:15 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;649973]
I'd ideally like to get Bradford/Clausen in the 1st, USC OT Charles Brown in the 2nd and then hope to trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd and get Dwyer[/quote]
You think that Brown will still be there in the 2nd? He does seem like he has the right measurables for a Shanny type lineman. Read something a few weeks ago saying he has the skills of a WCO lineman in NFL, seems like we could get a good value pick out of someone like him.

Nomad 01-04-2010 10:23 PM

Mike Shannahan will bring and draft the right guys for our team, so trust me... Whoever comes.... we can count on that they will produce.

SmootSmack 01-04-2010 10:23 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;649986]You think that Brown will still be there in the 2nd? He does seem like he has the right measurables for a Shanny type lineman. Read something a few weeks ago saying he has the skills of a WCO lineman in NFL, seems like we could get a good value pick out of someone like him.[/quote]

It will be tough. He's late first/early 2nd round right now in my opinion.

Lotus 01-04-2010 10:43 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;649973]I'm not quite sure who I want. I mean if we draft a QB in the first round (and I kind of feel we should) then I'm torn between Clausen and Bradford. I think each is a potential high-risk, high reward choice.

After that-not sold on Pike, [B]think Snead could make a good pro but have concerns about his mental toughness[/B], not sure Zac Robinson can be an everydown QB, think Dominic Randolph might not be tough enough, and have some doubts about Skelton's maturity level (from some reports I've heard).

I'd ideally like to get Bradford/Clausen in the 1st, USC OT Charles Brown in the 2nd and then hope to trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd and get Dwyer[/quote]

Living in Mississippi I've seen a lot of Snead and I think he should wait a year IMHO. He just does not seem ready for prime time.

53Fan 01-04-2010 10:52 PM

[quote=Lotus;650008]Living in Mississippi I've seen a lot of Snead and I think he should wait a year IMHO. He just does not seem ready for prime time.[/quote]

He must be up and down because when I've seen him he hasn't looked that good. Maybe I haven't seen enough of him.

rbanerjee23 01-04-2010 10:59 PM

anybody got any insight into Shanahan's past record of drafting...we all know about his finding running back gems (at least for his system) but does any one know of whether or not him/Allen find gold in the later rounds?

Lotus 01-04-2010 11:03 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;650017]anybody got any insight into Shanahan's past record of drafting...we all know about his finding running back gems (at least for his system) but does any one know of whether or not him/Allen find gold in the later rounds?[/quote]

He was head guy in Denver 1995-2008. You can check his draft history here:
[url=http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team]National Football League: NFL Draft History Full Draft - by Team[/url]

mlmdub130 01-04-2010 11:28 PM

[quote=Lotus;650008]Living in Mississippi I've seen a lot of Snead and I think he should wait a year IMHO. He just does not seem ready for prime time.[/quote]

agree completly, weren't they ranked in the top ten coming into the year with him as a heisman canidate?

Rajmahal33 01-04-2010 11:32 PM

This may sound crazy but hear me out first. Also this is assuming that we do get Shanahan. I think we should trade the 4th pick for a shutdown corner with NFL starting experience. Someone like a younger version of Asante Samuel.
1) Risk - We absolutely can't afford to waste this pick on a possible bust. If we get a young stud CB who has proven potential and already gone thru the NFL learning curve, we can be set at this position for a while. We reduce the risk of failure by not drafting with this pick. Something about picking in the top 5 scares me.
2) Premium for a good CB - Though OT (and QB) are more glaring needs, it seems simply impossible to ensure that we get a starter with true value at these position. I think CB is one of the positions that is the hardest to find a solid player (next to QB). Drafting a rookie to fill this role later is going to be equally tough and risky. No one knows if these guys will develop coming out of college. Let another team take the risk of developing them and we can take advantage of their labor.
3) Later picks/better scouting - With a lot more picks than we usually have and a real GM (in addition to Shanahan's staff), i feel confident that we can get a starting O-linemen in the later rounds of the draft with one of those picks. It's more likely that we can get one or two starting linemen if we throw more picks rather one high profile one at the problem.
4) From a cap standpoint this may make more sense too. The going rate for a top 5 pick (especially an O-linemen or QB) is irrationally high nowadays. If we are going to throw away those kinda dollars at a player, I want to be sure that he sees the field and performs. By getting a good CB with starting experience, we can ensure that he will see PT at a somewhat reduced cost and we'll be able to chase other pieces with that money.

GMScud 01-04-2010 11:46 PM

[quote=Rajmahal33;650031]This may sound crazy but hear me out first. Also this is assuming that we do get Shanahan. I think we should trade the 4th pick for a shutdown corner with NFL starting experience. Someone like a younger version of Asante Samuel.
1) Risk - We absolutely can't afford to waste this pick on a possible bust. If we get a young stud CB who has proven potential and already gone thru the NFL learning curve, we can be set at this position for a while. We reduce the risk of failure by not drafting with this pick. Something about picking in the top 5 scares me.
2) Premium for a good CB - Though OT (and QB) are more glaring needs, it seems simply impossible to ensure that we get a starter with true value at these position. I think CB is one of the positions that is the hardest to find a solid player (next to QB). Drafting a rookie to fill this role later is going to be equally tough and risky. No one knows if these guys will develop coming out of college. Let another team take the risk of developing them and we can take advantage of their labor.
3) Later picks/better scouting - With a lot more picks than we usually have and a real GM (in addition to Shanahan's staff), i feel confident that we can get a starting O-linemen in the later rounds of the draft with one of those picks. It's more likely that we can get one or two starting linemen if we throw more picks rather one high profile one at the problem.
4) From a cap standpoint this may make more sense too. The going rate for a top 5 pick (especially an O-linemen or QB) is irrationally high nowadays. If we are going to throw away those kinda dollars at a player, I want to be sure that he sees the field and performs. By getting a good CB with starting experience, we can ensure that he will see PT at a somewhat reduced cost and we'll be able to chase other pieces with that money.[/quote]

If you want a corner so badly, why not just draft Joe Haden? I'm certainly not suggesting we use our 4th pick on him, but by your rationale, that would be the best move. He came to Florida having never played corner before, and yet he started at CB from day one as a freshman and hasn't missed a game since and was 1st team all-American this year. Plus he's a local guy. He's a sick prospect.

You say trade the 4th pick for a great corner. Who? What young shutdown corner is out there that is trade bait?

skinsfaninok 01-05-2010 12:08 AM

^ that makes no sense lol!!! Who is worth the 4th pick? All the premier corners are older except revis, and the jets won't let him go. This team needs oline or qb with the 4th pick, I doubt we will trade down especially since Bradford should be there. Plus d hall is a solid corner, that we are paying alot of money to.

LandrySlice 01-05-2010 12:26 AM

I want Berry damn it!