Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Campbell will compete with a rookie next yr. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34590)

skinsfaninok 01-06-2010 01:56 PM

Campbell will compete with a rookie next yr.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/redskins-roundup-campbell-expected-to-stay/]Redskins roundup: Campbell expected to stay | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]. As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of JC but I would be all in for the possibilty of bringing him back if we draft a rookie to be our future. Apparently shanny wants to keep him for 1 more season to "pair" with a rookie. I think this is a good move honestly..

TheMalcolmConnection 01-06-2010 02:01 PM

Re: Campbell will compete with a rookie next yr.

Exactly. Say Campbell stays, we shore up the line, and he performs well. Extension. He doesn't, then we have another QB waiting in the wings.

I'd love for us to draft OL with our first pick, then maybe Pike in the second round.

Paintrain 01-06-2010 02:03 PM

This is the most likely and most realistic scenario. I'd love to see what happens with Shanahan's offense with Campbell at the helm. If he doesn't develop more then I'm fine with a highly drafted QB rather than a 40 year old backup or a 6th round preseason phenom.

Redskin Warrior 01-06-2010 02:26 PM

Shanny basically said he is looking forward to coaching JC this year

mehtadman87 01-06-2010 02:26 PM

i think that would perfect for us but i doubt that campbell would want to sign a 1 year contract, why would he want to go through another year of learning a new offense just to get released the following year. Either we keep him long term or he isnt going to sign with us.

and after looking at campbell stats for another season and comparing him to other qbs around the leauge we need to lock him up and shore up our O-line.

Elway and Plummer were both worse then campbell before shanahan coached them and both ended up playing well for shanahan. (it took elway 10 years to to have his first decent season). I know shanahan didnt like campbell coming out of college but you dont pay a guy 7 million a year to rebuild a team. Snyder is paying him the big bucks to be a motivator and to get underperformer to overperform. IMO i believe shanahan will draft an OT and sign O-line free agents that fit his scheme. Right now we have big powerful guys up front (from gibbs power running scheme) shanahan would want smaller more athletic guys up front and there is only so much you can do in free agency and with samules likely to retire i believe OT is inveitable and if you keep campbell you are going to have to cut portis so second round will probably be a RB unless shanahan can find a gem in the 4th or if colt slips to the second i highly doubt we are going to have a rookie QB next year. i duno thats just my 2 cents

MTK 01-06-2010 02:28 PM

[quote=mehtadman87;651285]i think that would perfect for us but i doubt that campbell would want to sign a 1 year contract, why would he want to go through another year of learning a new offense just to get released the following year. Either we keep him long term or he isnt going to sign with us.

and after looking at campbell stats for another season and comparing him to other qbs around the leauge we need to lock him up and shore up our O-line.

Elway and Plummer were both worse then campbell before shanahan coached them and both ended up playing well for shanahan. (it took elway 10 years to to have his first decent season). I know shanahan didnt like campbell coming out of college but you dont pay a guy 7 million a year to rebuild a team. Snyder is paying him the big bucks to be a motivator and to get underperformer to overperform. IMO i believe shanahan will draft an OT and sign O-line free agents that fit his scheme. Right now we have big powerful guys up front (from gibbs power running scheme) shanahan would want smaller more athletic guys up front and there is only so much you can do in free agency and with samules likely to retire i believe OT is inveitable and if you keep campbell you are going to have to cut portis so second round will probably be a RB unless shanahan can find a gem in the 4th or if colt slips to the second i highly doubt we are going to have a rookie QB next year. i duno thats just my 2 cents[/quote]

If 2010 is uncapped he will be a restricted free agent and isn't going to have much say in the matter.

53Fan 01-06-2010 02:36 PM

Common sense has come to Redskins Park!!!!!

FRPLG 01-06-2010 02:46 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;651252]Exactly. Say Campbell stays, we shore up the line, and he performs well. Extension. He doesn't, then we have another QB waiting in the wings.

I'd love for us to draft OL with our first pick, then maybe Pike in the second round.[/quote]

I second. I'd rather take aproject QB like Pike since taking one of the big 3 means the line rebuilding will suffer.

Monkeydad 01-06-2010 03:00 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;651248][URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/redskins-roundup-campbell-expected-to-stay/"]Redskins roundup: Campbell expected to stay | ProFootballTalk.com[/URL]. As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of JC but I would be all in for the possibilty of bringing him back if we draft a rookie to be our future. Apparently shanny wants to keep him for 1 more season to "pair" with a rookie. I think this is a good move honestly..[/quote]

I say "pfffft" to pft.com rumors.

As long as the rookie is not from the #4 pick, I have no problem, but fix the line first, possibly RB too.

Paintrain 01-06-2010 03:04 PM

On CSN after the presser Kelly Johnson interviewed Shanahan and asked if JC can be the starting QB for the Redskins in '10, he said 'Absolutely, that's what competition is all about.' Pretty interesting indication that he will bring in a highly drafted QB and soon.

Another interesting, but unrelated note, he was also asked if Portis can be the starting RB in '10 and he said, 'We'll see.' Much less encouraging about 26 being back.

Dirtbag59 01-06-2010 03:07 PM

The good news about this for members of the cult is that Colt will finally get a chance to start next year. Now all that remains to be seen is if his rookie QB is going to be Clausen or Bradford at the top of the first or McCoy at the top of the second. Still this seems similar to the Plummer/Cutler situation Shannahan had a few years ago, though that ended with Cutler getting 5 stars his rookie year and taking over full time the next, and we all know how good Cutler was without Shannahan.

To me right now the best situation would be taking Bradford in the first and Charles Brown (T, USC) or Mike Iupati (G, Idaho) in the Second. Thats the type of best play available approach I want to see, best available offensive lineman, not best available guy we don't need.

SolidSnake84 01-06-2010 03:13 PM

Well Golly,

I guess at least its good that the QB here will finally have to earn their job....we haven't did that in what, 10 years??

skinsfaninok 01-06-2010 03:14 PM

Haven't seen the press conf. I get off work at 5 so what all did shanny say about jc and the possibility of drafting a qb?

Gtothearry 01-06-2010 03:25 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;651378]Haven't seen the press conf. I get off work at 5 so what all did shanny say about jc and the possibility of drafting a qb?[/quote]

Shanny: Stated that he looks forward to working with Campbell and when asked if Campbell could be his starting QB he said "definitely". He mentioned competiton.......this could be interpreted as another qb being brought in, drafted or competition also amongst our qb's on the roster. So, I didn't really read anything into what was being said as......"we are going to draft a qb".

Allen: He was asked if we will draft for need. Allen responded with "we will do what is best for the redskins." Honestly he kinda left it open by saying "typically we would draft the best player on the board"......so he left the option open to draft for need as well.

rbanerjee23 01-06-2010 03:33 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;651362]
To me right now the best situation would be taking Bradford in the first and Charles Brown (T, USC) or Mike Iupati (G, Idaho) in the Second. Thats the type of best play available approach I want to see, best available offensive lineman, not best available guy we don't need.[/quote]

Why would we waste a first rounder on bradford when we can get an equally good qb in McCoy in the second who probably has the same chance of succeeding?

Big C 01-06-2010 03:52 PM

it definitely seemed like he wants campbell back, but the competition quote he dropped as well seems as if he will bring in someone else to challenge him. we are assuming its through the draft, but maybe he wants to bring in chad pennington or someone to push campbell. either way i really just hope we dont grab a qb at 4.

Dirtbag59 01-06-2010 03:58 PM

[quote=Big C;651427]it definitely seemed like he wants campbell back, but the competition quote he dropped as well seems as if he will bring in someone else to challenge him. we are assuming its through the draft, but maybe he wants to bring in chad pennington or someone to push campbell. either way i really just hope we dont grab a qb at 4.[/quote]

Pennington isn't mobile enough to work in Shannahans system. Maybe if he was a few years younger he wouldn't mind giving it a shot but I think right now Campbell is the better QB.

Lotus 01-06-2010 04:37 PM

^Matt Leinart is mobile enough, no?

Dirtbag59 01-06-2010 04:43 PM

[quote=Lotus;651485]^Matt Leinart is mobile enough, no?[/quote]

Lol, when he's sober. Anyway I think your guess is as good as mine. Here's his scouting report from when he was a rookie.

"Not a threat to run but he shows enough quickness and fluidity to buy extra time from within the pocket. He sets up quicker than his speed would indicate."

"Not a threat to take off and run."

The thing I think Shannahans looking for when he talks about mobility is weather he effectively run a bootleg. I mean remember even Cutler got 200 yards rushing during his last two years with Shannahan. For what it's worth he had 173 yards this year.

And here's Leinarts current scouting report:

[quote]2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 67 | Key

Comment: Leinart has the physical tools to succeed, but the jury is still out on him until he proves he can read coverage consistently and avoid costly mistakes. He has good height and arm strength, [B]as well as enough mobility within the pocket to be successful in the Arizona system[/B]. When he has time to set his feet and throw the ball from the pocket, he has a good delivery and enough short-to-intermediate accuracy to challenge most areas of the field. [/quote]

I feel like I'm getting mixed messages on Leinart's mobility.

franklinhimself 01-06-2010 04:47 PM

Michael Vick could be a mild surprise. He can sure run a bootleg scramble. That, and he wouldn't cost much and we'd still be able to use our top two picks on the O-line.

mlmdub130 01-06-2010 05:01 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;651252]Exactly. Say Campbell stays, we shore up the line, and he performs well. Extension. He doesn't, then we have another QB waiting in the wings.

I'd love for us to draft OL with our first pick, then maybe Pike in the second round.[/quote]

:food-smil

i've been saying the same thing all year that would be awesome if we got okung and pike

T.O.Killa 01-06-2010 05:13 PM

[quote=mehtadman87;651285]i think that would perfect for us but i doubt that campbell would want to sign a 1 year contract, why would he want to go through another year of learning a new offense just to get released the following year. Either we keep him long term or he isnt going to sign with us.

Elway and Plummer were both worse then campbell before shanahan coached them and both ended up playing well for shanahan. (it took elway 10 years to to have his first decent season). I know shanahan didnt like campbell coming out of college but you dont pay a guy 7 million a year to rebuild a team. Snyder is paying him the big bucks to be a motivator and to get underperformer to overperform. IMO i believe shanahan will draft an OT and sign O-line free agents that fit his scheme. Right now we have big powerful guys up front (from gibbs power running scheme) shanahan would want smaller more athletic guys up front and there is only so much you can do in free agency and with samules likely to retire i believe OT is inveitable and if you keep campbell you are going to have to cut portis so second round will probably be a RB unless shanahan can find a gem in the 4th or if colt slips to the second i highly doubt we are going to have a rookie QB next year. i duno thats just my 2 cents[/quote]
Man I have no idea where you are getting your information about Elway. He was awsome, the first time he walked on a football field.

Big C 01-06-2010 08:12 PM

[quote=franklinhimself;651497]Michael Vick could be a mild surprise. He can sure run a bootleg scramble. That, and he wouldn't cost much and we'd still be able to use our top two picks on the O-line.[/quote]

id be down for that over drafting a qb high. if we do get a qb, i hope its round 4 or later. id look at lefevour if hes still there, hes extremely mobile.

Longtimefan 01-06-2010 08:29 PM

Jason said it was nice that Shanahan had good things to say about him and that he looked foreward to working with him.

Chick Hernandez of Comcast Sports was at Rock Cartwright's house along with Jason watching the presser. Jason appeared relieved knowing he's still wanted. Shanahan made it clear that he feels competition will only make everybody better.

Dirtbag59 01-06-2010 08:33 PM

[quote=rbanerjee23;651404]Why would we waste a first rounder on bradford when we can get an equally good qb in McCoy in the second who probably has the same chance of succeeding?[/quote]

You're assuming that Bradford and McCoy are equal in terms of talent. Bradford is considered far and wide the better prospect, but for the most part I'll wait for the draft to see which one gets picked and assume that they felt they had the best chance to succced with that guy.

Still at this point Bradford is considered to be better then McCoy in two key catagories, accuracy and mental makeup both of which Bradford earned top marks. McCoy on the other hand was graded a point below. In all fairness though McCoy scored higher then Bradford on intangibles and mental markup On top of that McCoy might not be there when we pick in the second round leading us to mortgage a future draft pick to get him. Reports are from Scouts Inc.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Anyway heres the comparison for Mental Markup and Accuracy
[B]
Bradford:[/B]
[B]Mental Markup - 1 -[/B] Cerebral quarterback. Not an in-your-face type leader but definitely commands the huddle. Displays poise under pressure. Mentally/physically tough. Doesn't face a lot of pass-rush pressure but shows the toughness to stand in the pocket and take a hit in order to complete the pass. Still learning when to protect the ball and when to take chances. Gets too comfortable in the pocket at times and will need to reset his mental clock in the NFL. Made a few costly decisions/reads in 2008 loss to Texas.

[B]Accuracy - 1 -[/B] Most accurate passer in college football today. Displays good mechanics. Excellent balance as a passer. Steps into most of his throws and drives off the back leg. Good follow through. Very good with the pump fake; frequently gets receivers open by pumping off the safety or linebacker.

[B]McCoy: [/B]
[B]Mental Markup - 2 -[/B] Ideal makeup from a mental toughness and competitiveness standpoint. Poised under pressure and continues to learn from mistakes. Delivers in the clutch. Might be the toughest QB in college football today. Also intelligent and hard working. He does have a tendency to force throws into traffic at times. He has improved in this area but he still makes a couple questionable decisions per game.

[B]Accuracy -2 - [/B]Displays excellent timing and touch underneath. Gets the ball out quickly and knows how to hit his receivers in stride. Also shows good overall accuracy when throwing on the run, especially when rolling to his right. However, he plays in a very QB-friendly offense that does not feature many intermediate-to-vertical throws compared to an NFL offense. He has gotten into some bad habits that he will not overcome so easily in the NFL. He must adjust to making many more throws from inside the pocket and/or down the field. He also currently takes a lot of snaps from shotgun, so he must get accustomed to reading coverage while dropping in the NFL.

saden1 01-06-2010 08:34 PM

Skins would be complete foolish to let JC walk. He's cheap and he has done well under the Zorn circumstance and pathetic O-Line and that so called WR named Moss.

Hay Cooley, maybe your mother-f'ing-ass can take the leadership mantel? Instead of looking for others to lead you and Portis perhaps you SOBs try to become leaders? I f'ing hate these mofo backbenchers. CC can get it too.

I don't get why everyone is high on Jerry Gray. I mean, he's on the coaching staff and is responsible for the terrible secondary that is Rogers, Landry, and Hall. If we're cleaning house Jerry gots-to-go.

FU, Danial Snyder.

That felt good.

saden1 01-06-2010 08:37 PM

I want Sam Bradford...if we can't get him trade down for more 1'st round picks.

Gtothearry 01-06-2010 08:39 PM

I can't beleive so many people are high on Mccoy, Clausen and Bradford. I really hope we dont waste a 1st rd'er on a QB. Sucks we have at least 3 months before we get a definitive answer also.

SBXVII 01-06-2010 08:40 PM

[quote=Paintrain;651355]On CSN after the presser Kelly Johnson interviewed Shanahan and asked if JC can be the starting QB for the Redskins in '10, he said 'Absolutely, that's what competition is all about.' Pretty interesting indication that he will bring in a highly drafted QB and soon.

Another interesting, but unrelated note, he was also asked if Portis can be the starting RB in '10 and he said, 'We'll see.' Much less encouraging about 26 being back.[/quote]

Interesting. I think in regards to Portis I have written him off due to age and practice habits. Concussion was just a side note for me cause players get them all the time. One concussion usually means the player could get another concussion more easily and easier and easier. I think with the NFL now forcing teams to not put the player back in the game two or three possessions later and forcing players to see doctors who will decide if they play or not, I can see the Skins deciding to pass on Portis or let him go cause he would be taking up a roster spot with the understanding he could get another concussion very easily at anytime at any point in a game. Kinda like how we sat on Samuels and R.Thomas.

Plus throw in the uncapped year and ditching his contract should mean more to the team in the long run vs. keeping an aged concussion prone RB who is on the decline. I can see them shedding the contract while they can.

44Deezel 01-06-2010 08:54 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;651248][url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/redskins-roundup-campbell-expected-to-stay/]Redskins roundup: Campbell expected to stay | ProFootballTalk.com[/url]. As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of JC but I would be all in for the possibilty of bringing him back if we draft a rookie to be our future. Apparently shanny wants to keep him for 1 more season to "pair" with a rookie. I think this is a good move honestly..[/quote]

I agree. No one should be above having to compete for their job. Maybe it lights a fire under JC's ass. Maybe under Shanahan's tuteledge, JC will become a pro-bowl caliber QB. Hell, Brien Griese threw 19 TDs and only 4 INTs playing for Shanny.

And maybe the guy we draft turns out to be an all-time great. Remember, San Diego drafted Philip Rivers while they still had Drew Brees on the roster. Brees went onto become a stud and so did Rivers. QB is the most important position on the team, so if the Skins play their card right, they could end up with 2 starting caliber QBs on the roster. That is a great position to be in.

The O line can be repaired with other draft picks and free agency, especially if we trade Cooley for a pick or two. Anyway, Shanny prefers smaller, more nimble linemen that are available in the later rounds. The O lineman they would take with the 4th pick probably wouldn't fit the mold.

Dirtbag59 01-06-2010 09:00 PM

[quote=Gtothearry;651607]I can't beleive so many people are high on Mccoy, Clausen and Bradford. I really hope we dont waste a 1st rd'er on a QB. Sucks we have at least 3 months before we get a definitive answer also.[/quote]

This is a bold statement but in 2 or 3 years when Bradford starts playing at the same level of a guy like Phillip Rivers you're going to be estatic about the fact that we used a first round pick on him. I've been saying this a lot lately but there were a lot of people in Atlanta on draft day who got pissed when the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan instead of Glen Dorsey.

On top of that, with the Shannahans records of developing QB's, why wouldn't you want a guy with the ability to be a franchise QB for the next 10 or 15 years? Remember Shannahan sent Brian Greise and Jay Cutler to the Pro Bowl, even got Jake Plummer an alternate spot. Then you got Kyle as the OC and we all know how much he helped develop Matt Schaub.

44Deezel 01-06-2010 09:01 PM

[quote=Gtothearry;651607]I can't beleive so many people are high on Mccoy, Clausen and Bradford. I really hope we dont waste a 1st rd'er on a QB. Sucks we have at least 3 months before we get a definitive answer also.[/quote]

Why would it be a waste? What if we draft Bradford and he turns out to be a hall of famer who starts the next 15 years for the Skins? Look at the QBs in the playoffs right now. It's the most important position on the field. And yes, many of them weren't first round picks, but I'm sure if Shanny thinks he can get a QB in the second or third round (after trading Cooley) that is equal in talent level to Bradford, then he'll take a QB there. If he knows any position, it's QB.

I also think he can elevate Campbell's play, so I'm all for keeping him as well.

44Deezel 01-06-2010 09:05 PM

[quote=saden1;651603]Skins would be complete foolish to let JC walk. He's cheap and he has done well under the Zorn circumstance and pathetic O-Line and that so called WR named Moss.

[B]Hay Cooley, maybe your mother-f'ing-ass can take the leadership mantel? Instead of looking for others to lead you and Portis perhaps you SOBs try to become leaders? I f'ing hate these mofo backbenchers. CC can get it too.[/B]
I don't get why everyone is high on Jerry Gray. I mean, he's on the coaching staff and is responsible for the terrible secondary that is Rogers, Landry, and Hall. If we're cleaning house Jerry gots-to-go.

FU, Danial Snyder.

That felt good.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. As a pro-bowl, veteran TE, there's no reason he can't step in and lead if no one else on Offense is willing to do it. What's he waiting for? A written invitation?

Gtothearry 01-06-2010 09:11 PM

If Shannahan can do it with Cutler, Plummer and Griese why cant he do it with Campbell as well? I realize the QB is one of the most important players on the field. However, I don't want to risk the 4th pick on a QB. 1st round QB's through the years seem to be a crap shot. Now if we could trade down and get a mid 1st along with a early 2nd I would be all for that. However, im not sure that will work out for us.

vallin21 01-06-2010 09:20 PM

I doubt we get a QB in the draft. I see us trading down and getting Marshall the day of the draft. We get their 1st and 3rd.

Here are the positions we need to address in the draft

1.(Trade w/ Denver) OT
2.OG
3A. C
3B. (Pick gained from Denver) FS
4. OT
5.RB
6. CB
7. MLB

Ruhskins 01-06-2010 09:32 PM

[quote=vallin21;651621]I doubt we get a QB in the draft. I see us trading down and getting Marshall the day of the draft. We get their 1st and 3rd.

Here are the positions we need to address in the draft

1.(Trade w/ Denver) OT
2.OG
3A. C
3B. (Pick gained from Denver) FS
4. OT
5.RB
6. CB
7. MLB[/quote]

You think we're going to get Marshall, a 1st, and a 3rd for our #4 overall?

Dirtbag59 01-06-2010 09:33 PM

[quote=Gtothearry;651619]If Shannahan can do it with Cutler, Plummer and Griese why cant he do it with Campbell as well? I realize the QB is one of the most important players on the field. However, I don't want to risk the 4th pick on a QB. 1st round QB's through the years seem to be a crap shot. Now if we could trade down and get a mid 1st along with a early 2nd I would be all for that. However, im not sure that will work out for us.[/quote]

Well the way I look at it, the situation is very similar to the Plummer/Cutler scenario. Shannahan got Plummer as far as he could go, ironically that was a first round bye in the playoffs but after that he fizzled. It wasn't until the young Jay Cutler took over that the passing offense really became something else, constant comparisons were being made between Elway and Cutler. I believe that in this scenario Campbell is the equivelant of Plummer and Bradford, Clausen, or McCoy (whoever they decide is the best QB for the team) is Cutler.

Of course things don't always work out perfectly like that, but to summarize, I believe that one of the rookie QB's developed by Shannahan can be the key that can make us Super Bowl Champions. With Campbell I'd feel lucky to make the NFC Championship game.

I think Shannahan realizes that he can't pussy foot around or be fancy with the QB position. He needs a game changer if he hopes to end his run in Washington with a Super Bowl title.

Bucket 01-06-2010 09:52 PM

Dropping Cooley for a trade would be a mistake. In Shanny's system he could have career numbers and be a phenom with Dais on the other side. That's a huge advantage against teams who want to keep in 3 LB's to stop the run against a shanny system.

I look for Campbell to fit well in the Shanny system. It's QB friendly, and his mobility is something we will need. If we can get Pike in the later rounds then I would go for him, but I would rather see us pick up someone like C.J. Spiller or Gerhart in the 2nd-3rd round.

GusFrerotte 01-06-2010 10:43 PM

I would keep JC for two to four more. You have to think, what if the newbie is a bust. At least JC is an above average QB and can still play to a decent level. He is better than most lower tier NFL Qbs without a doubt. I hope to god we get a QB like Lefevour, Sheehan, Pike, Stull, or even Kafka. Watching Oklahoma in their bowl game it becoame apparent to me that Stafford might not be all that since his replacement had a monster game. If Clausen was so great the Irish should have made a bowl game like Kafka and Northwestern did with less talent. Tebow will be a decent NFL QB but will not live up to the hype surrounding him. Neither will Colt. The Big 12 is all offense and not much in terms of defense. Without those guys( meaning the second tier QBs mentioned before) their respective teams would have sucked. Lefevour is a stud. Stull and Pike are gamers. I like Kafka because the guy basically was the Northwestern offense in '09. He isn't afraid to run and the NW spread might help him with Shanny's version of the WCO.

53Fan 01-06-2010 10:45 PM

If we pick-up a 3rd or he's still around in the 4th, I'd like to see us draft Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan if we're gonna draft a QB. I'm not sure where he's projected to go but I'm sure it will change before the draft anyway.