Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34752)

artmonkforhallofamein07 01-14-2010 03:03 PM

Re: ESPN's Schefter channels his energy into NFL

[quote=Redskin Warrior;654775]I agree if JC fail draft Locker next year simple that way when Locker gets here he already has protection around him.[/quote]

Exactly. The QB needs protection! You have to start with keeping a guy upright. Not to mention we are going to need Zone Blocking linemen. I really don't feel like we have those kinds of guys on the roster. So the line is going to need to be a big big rebuild this year.

skinsguy 01-14-2010 03:08 PM

It just makes more sense to me to worry more about building up the offensive line than the QB position this coming season. One question I'd like to know is, how strong will the QB class be in next year's draft?

SmootSmack 01-14-2010 03:09 PM

Why not draft a QB? It doesn't make much sense to just say let's just wait a year see what happens with Campbell and then get a QB in 2011. If we're in position to get one now, why not? He'll have a year in our system going into 2011.

I know we need linemen, but I think too many of us are thinking well let's just draft anyone that plays the position so we can pile up players in that position and hope a few stick. That doesn't make much sense to me. Plus, all the linemen in the world won't matter if there's no QB.

rbanerjee23 01-14-2010 03:12 PM

JC with even decent protection is a game winning quarterback...is he the next theismann? no, is he better than 60-70% of the qbs in the league? I think so

Monkeydad 01-14-2010 03:16 PM

[quote=Mattyk;654695]If I recall correctly Plummer ran a lot of bootlegs, roll-outs, etc. under Shanahan. Stuff to get him on the move and also to probably cut the field in half and simplify his reads.[/quote]

That's what Campbell will be doing, it's Shanahan's system. I think JC will do fine in it. Shanahan likes to play with half a field for his QBs, so when on a rollout to pass, he'll have 2 or 3 options right in front of him just at different yardages with a quick slant, a mid-depth WR and a deep option if open. Going through his targets will be fast and quick, decisions will be made quickly and he'll run for a lot of first downs when his receivers are covered. It seems like a system that is tailor-made for Campbell's abilities and deficiencies.

Monkeydad 01-14-2010 03:18 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;654797]Why not draft a QB? It doesn't make much sense to just say let's just wait a year see what happens with Campbell and then get a QB in 2011. If we're in position to get one now, why not? He'll have a year in our system going into 2011.

I know we need linemen, but I think too many of us are thinking well let's just draft anyone that plays the position so we can pile up players in that position and hope a few stick. That doesn't make much sense to me. Plus, all the linemen in the world won't matter if there's no QB.[/quote]

More importantly, as we should have learned this season especially, there is no QB without linemen.

The line needs to be the priority. Without a line, the passing and running games will never succeed, then it carries over into wearing down even the best defense.

celts32 01-14-2010 03:20 PM

I don't know who said it but I heard someone say in reference to JC that the Redskins can win with Jason Campbell but they will never win because of him. That sums it up for me. I am tired of having average or slightly above average play at QB...I want a QB that can be the reason the Redskins win and pull games out of the fire that would be lost with most QB's. That's what most of the QB's left in this years playoffs can do. I don't know who it is but if Shanny thinks there is a QB like that in this draft then he damn well better try to draft him.

Monkeydad 01-14-2010 03:24 PM

[quote=celts32;654808]I don't know who said it but I heard someone say in reference to JC that the Redskins can win with Jason Campbell but they will never win because of him. That sums it up for me. I am tired of having average or slightly above average play at QB...I want a QB that can be the reason the Redskins win and pull games out of the fire that would be lost with most QB's. That's what most of the QB's left in this years playoffs can do. I don't know who it is but if Shanny thinks there is a QB like that in this draft then he damn well better try to draft him.[/quote]

So someone you can't remember said something you like and it's right to you? :goodjob:

If you remember who this person is, ask them their opinions on the offensive line and if he/she/it thinks it could affect a QB's play.

SmootSmack 01-14-2010 03:27 PM

I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.

artmonkforhallofamein07 01-14-2010 03:35 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;654816]I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.[/quote]

I agree Smoot, but at the same time we need so much help. I am not saying I am an intelligent fan or I know how to build a football team , but at the same time I am a believer in you win the game in the trenches. Look at the Jets. Hell look at the Ravens.

DO you really feel that the guys in THIS draft class can go out and win games? I just don't see that player. Especially since most of the top guys are all hurt. The player you are looking for is there this year? That is where I am coming from. I don't see the guy in this draft who you are describing.

**EDIT***

Smoot if you feel that player is there then who is it? I am not starting a fight just want your opinion.

Zerohero 01-14-2010 03:36 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;654816]I think sometimes people think saying you need strong line play makes you a more intelligent fan, as if saying QB play is important is something only casual, even ignorant fans who don't know any better would say.

Line play is important but too many of us are really underestimating the importance of good QB play. A good QB can make an average line look much better than it really is.[/quote]

Isn't this a weak year for first round qb's, that is good enough reason to not take what is already a very risky pick.

SmootSmack 01-14-2010 03:48 PM

[quote=artmonkforhallofamein07;654823]I agree Smoot, but at the same time we need so much help. I am not saying I am an intelligent fan or I know how to build a football team , but at the same time I am a believer in you win the game in the trenches. Look at the Jets. Hell look at the Ravens.

DO you really feel that the guys in THIS draft class can go out and win games? I just don't see that player. Especially since most of the top guys are all hurt. The player you are looking for is there this year? That is where I am coming from. I don't see the guy in this draft who you are describing.

**EDIT***

Smoot if you feel that player is there then who is it? I am not starting a fight just want your opinion.[/quote]

Here's the thing. I think Okung if he's there should be our first pick. But let's say he's not I don't want to take an offensive linemen at #4 because I don't believe there's any worth drafting there. I'd rather do something like Clausen and then maybe a Charles Brown in the 2nd. Until we make a formal commitment to Campbell for the long-term I gotta think we need a QB. Do we need to spend our first round pick on him? No. I think this QB class is better than we're giving it credit for.

But again, I think it's our desire of drafting linemen that is making us overlook the flaws and weaknesses of the OL in the draft and put the QBs under a microscope. I mentioned it here

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/652225-post55.html[/url]

Monkeydad 01-14-2010 03:48 PM

I believe the opposite is true also, and much easier to occur.

Look at some of the aging lines in the NFL and how QB play has declined. The Patriots and Brady. The Seahawks and Hasselbeck has been horrible since Hutchinson went to Minnesota. How much better could Aarpn Rodgers be without being sacked 50 times? McNabb has looked outstanding at times in his career but can't stay on the field because he's hit more than almost any QB in the game sacked 357 times in his 11-year career, which keep in mind doesn't consist of many 16-game seasons.

I think a solid line is the most important part of the team and can really make a good QB a winner, or can limit a great QB's successes.

celts32 01-14-2010 03:49 PM

[quote=Buster;654813]So someone you can't remember said something you like and it's right to you? :goodjob:

If you remember who this person is, ask them their opinions on the offensive line and if he/she/it thinks it could affect a QB's play.[/quote]

Of course the OL affects the QB's play and the QB holding the ball to long affects how the OL looks and the QB can affect the way the WR's look if he is not making the proper reads quickly. It's all tied together. IMO JC will never be more then pretty good regardless of how good the OL is and that's not good enough. I am not saying they should not bring him back but they should be looking for someone better imediately.

celts32 01-14-2010 03:58 PM

[quote=Buster;654836]I believe the opposite is true also, and much easier to occur.

Look at some of the aging lines in the NFL and how QB play has declined. The Patriots and Brady. The Seahawks and Hasselbeck has been horrible since Hutchinson went to Minnesota. How much better could Aarpn Rodgers be without being sacked 50 times? McNabb has looked outstanding at times in his career but can't stay on the field because he's hit more than almost any QB in the game sacked 357 times in his 11-year career, which keep in mind doesn't consist of many 16-game seasons.

I think a solid line is the most important part of the team and can really make a good QB a winner, or can limit a great QB's successes.[/quote]

Rodgers is a perfect example...they have a terrible OL and he still makes plays. The bad OL is turning into JC's crutch. IMO it's not one or the other...the redskins need improved play on the OL and at QB. I do believe with great OL play JC's play would improve but I do not think even his best play will be worth a commiting to him long term.