Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who Can You Compare Haslett Defensive Scheme To? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34822)

Redskin Warrior 01-18-2010 12:54 PM

Who Can You Compare Haslett Defensive Scheme To?

I keep hearing that Haslett is/will bring an aggressive style of defense to D.C. but i've must have never pay attention to his past defense scheme as a coordinator. Is there a defensive coordinator you can compare him too? Will we see an aggressive attack style of defense like Rex Ryan has the Jets playing? Or Dick Lebeau (I think i spelled that wrong) in Pittsburgh?

tootergray34 01-18-2010 01:33 PM

Re: Who Can You Compare Haslett Defensive Scheme To?

God I hope so...but what I bet will happen..is that we will be the worst defense from the 25yrd line to the 25 yrd line...but our redzone D will be top notch haha.

NYCskinfan82 01-18-2010 02:44 PM

Can't think of any DC i could compare him to, i just want our Defense to attack make the OF react to our Defense.

GridIron26 01-18-2010 03:33 PM

I don't think we can find someone to compare with Haslett because we do not even know what kind of system Haslett is going to install.. Although, we did hire Spanos, which gives us a hint that 3-4 defense is a possibility.. As of right now, I believe Haslett is going to use 3-4/4-3 hybrid system.. Which is the system Arizona is using, I believe.. But we all have to wait until we find out what kind of system Haslett wants to use..

By the way, I really think the hiring of Spanos is a great move.. He has developed pro bowlers LBs in Steelers in last 15 years..

Slingin Sammy 33 01-18-2010 04:15 PM

Look at the Saints D from 2000-05 and the Rams from 06-08. Or if we make the move to a primary 3-4, look at Steelers 97-99 (although Dick Lebeau & Dom Capers had a lot to do with the building of that D). It's hard to tell what to expect, we keep hearing "aggressive, aggressive, no nonsense", but when you look at the performance of his defenses since 2000, they weren't very good and didn't show improvment year-over-year.

I'm from Missouri on this one, Haslett has to "Show me".

EDIT: With the Spanos hire and KO moving back to a defensive assistant this could be a clue to what our base D will be. Spanos is a LB coach in the 3-4, KO coached LBs in a 4-3. Spanos is our new LB coach, looks like a 3-4 base to me.

CultBrennan59 01-18-2010 04:20 PM

Clancy Pendergast's defense with greg williams type aggression

Longtimefan 01-18-2010 04:24 PM

I don't know of anyone I can compare him too, but I've been searching high and low trying to find something in his past history as a coach that would make him more than average. So far, everything I've found is just further proof of the fact he's "average"

I've never thought it fair to compare what a particular coach did in another location to what he might do here. Evey place and situation is different, so while Haslett has been an average coach elsewhere, it has no bearing on what he may be able to accomplish here. I'll give him the bebefit of the doubt, but no comparison.

wilsowilso 01-18-2010 04:29 PM

As long as it has no comparison to the Blache defensive scheme I am happy with it.

SBXVII 01-18-2010 06:46 PM

2007 Rams Defense

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIgo55rC-w]YouTube - St. Louis Rams Defense (2007 NFL Season)[/url]

The Goat 01-18-2010 06:51 PM

I think the real thing to hope for is Haslett brings a brand new system...not brand new to us but brand new for him. Hopefully he's gotten a lot smarter how he schemes. His defenses in the past have been mediocre at best. All I remember about the Saints and Rams under Haslett is they couldn't stop anybody. Not sure what aggression means to him either...anybody got a guess?

SBXVII 01-18-2010 07:02 PM

[quote=The Goat;656266]I think the real thing to hope for is Haslett brings a brand new system...not brand new to us but brand new for him. Hopefully he's gotten a lot smarter how he schemes. His defenses in the past have been mediocre at best. All I remember about the Saints and Rams under Haslett is they couldn't stop anybody. Not sure what aggression means to him either...anybody got a guess?[/quote]

It's kinda funny, we bring in a HC who will see the Hall of Fame. He's produced decent offenses. He's been to the SB. I think we can safely say he will take us into the post season or give us a chance to get to the post season. I'm tired of seeing 9-7, and hoping to make it into the play offs through a back door wild card position.

But, we bring in a DC who actually has not produced as a DC, and actually failed at being a HC. I mean he's only as good as the last position he's coached well at, which is what? LB's?

I just hope that he's not a DC who has an attitude and says it's either my way or the highway. I hope he's open to ideas. I also hope he for no other reason has a break out year as DC and has our defense really doing well.

Ruhskins 01-18-2010 07:29 PM

[quote=SBXVII;656268]It's kinda funny, we bring in a HC who will see the Hall of Fame. He's produced decent offenses. He's been to the SB. I think we can safely say he will take us into the post season or give us a chance to get to the post season. I'm tired of seeing 9-7, and hoping to make it into the play offs through a back door wild card position.

[B]But, we bring in a DC who actually has not produced as a DC, and actually failed at being a HC. I mean he's only as good as the last position he's coached well at, which is what? LB's?[/B]

I just hope that he's not a DC who has an attitude and says it's either my way or the highway. I hope he's open to ideas. I also hope he for no other reason has a break out year as DC and has our defense really doing well.[/quote]

Well didn't Gregg Williams fail as a HC as well? Also, he had a horrible stint in Jax after leaving the Redskins and is now doing a pretty decent job in N.O.Haslett had some good years in Pittsburgh and New Orleans. I think we all need to calm down and see what happens.

NYCskinfan82 01-18-2010 07:40 PM

[B][quote=Ruhskins;656280]Well didn't Gregg Williams fail as a HC as well? Also, he had a horrible stint in Jax after leaving the Redskins and is now doing a pretty decent job in N.O.Haslett had some good years in Pittsburgh and New Orleans. I think we all need to calm down and see what happens.[/quote][/B]

Very good point.

Lotus 01-18-2010 07:44 PM

A factor in the failure of Rams defenses under Haslett was that he didn't have a lot of talent to work with. This does not exonerate him, it just means that Ruhskins is correct in his wait-and-see admonition.

The Goat 01-18-2010 11:19 PM

It's true I can't think of an outstanding defensive player under Haslett in NO or St. Louis.

KLHJ2 01-18-2010 11:24 PM

Yep, I have done extensive research on Hasslet and I am not sold. He has taken over decent defenses and made them worse and they improved once he left. Now it is possible that they got worse because he broke them down to build them back up. It could also be true that the improved defenses after he left was a result of the work that he did while he was there. Shannahan must know something that we don't because his record does not speak for itself.

Paintrain 01-18-2010 11:27 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;656280]Well didn't Gregg Williams fail as a HC as well? Also, he had a horrible stint in Jax after leaving the Redskins and is now doing a pretty decent job in N.O.Haslett had some good years in Pittsburgh and New Orleans. I think we all need to calm down and see what happens.[/quote]

Patience? That's MADNESS!

Seriously, I love coaches with something to prove which Shanny and Haslett both have.

Luxorreb 01-19-2010 01:45 AM

Blache was an arrogant prick. Glad to see him go. He's done nothing for me. Go talk to the media in some other life...

LandrySlice 01-19-2010 05:27 AM

I think he will be good, I don't know why, but I just have a good feeling.