Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Senior Bowl Week - Who's there and who are we looking at? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34972)

Monkeydad 01-28-2010 04:18 PM

Re: Senior Bowl Week - Who's there and who are we looking at?

[quote=diehardskin2982;658876]^ I hope so, I am tired of seeing campbell on his back because Rabach blew his assignment.[/quote]

Or Campbell diving to the ground for the ball because Rabach can't snap in the shotgun.

Monkeydad 01-28-2010 04:19 PM

[quote=firstdown;658855]I'm looking at the cheerleaders.[/quote]

We can't improve at that position. We're best in the league there.

Dirtbag59 01-28-2010 05:02 PM

[B]Notre Dame OT Sam Young --[/B] There is nothing wrong with Young's effort. He fights to say in position and finishes every drill in practice. However, his 6-foot-7¾ frame makes it hard for Young to redirect in pass protection, and he has difficulty getting under defenders' pads as a run blocker. He also has very long arms (34½ inches) that seem to make it hard to for him to be quick with his hands. We saw that show up on Day 4 when Young was working against California DE Tyson Alualu, who used his explosive hands and strong upper body to slap Young's arms down. Young did not have the hand quickness to recover and it was over at that point. His size also seems to make Young sluggish and he has a hard time staying balanced.

Slingin Sammy 33 01-28-2010 05:42 PM

I watched the Mon-Wed practices and here are some thoughts:

[B]Matt Tennant, C, Boston College[/B]
If we can get Tennant in the 4th, GTripp is absolutely correct, he will start for us. He looked very good at C (not so good at G). He's got good technique, feet, and can anchor against the bull rush inside.

[B]Greg Olsen, C, Notre Dame[/B]
As a later pick (7th-UDFA) if we miss Tennant, wouldn't be a bad project, good fundys, good feet, but struggles to anchor against a bull rush.

[B]Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise St.[/B]
Looked very solid in Man coverage in 1-on-1s, only got beaten once by Ford (sprinter class speed) from Clemson. He would be a solid addition to our secondary and could develop into a #1 CB. He's projected in the 2nd or 3rd. If we find a way to pick up an extra pick in the 3rd or he slips to the 4th he should be a target.

[B]Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, Cal[/B]
Appears physical, strong, good in zone. A MAJOR liability in man coverage, especially anything deep. He was torched deep several times. He reminded me of Smoot getting killed in 1-on-1s deep in training camp. He will be exposed in a big way in the NFL. Good fit for a Cover 2 or Tampa 2 scheme though.

[B]Iupati, G, Idaho[/B]
Got beaten twice on day one with a finesse rush and got caught reaching. Other than that he was the best OL IMO. Our need at T outweighs our need at G so I don't see us picking him up with our early 2nd even if he slips that far (doubtful).

[B]Ducasse, T, UMass[/B]
On day 1 vs. Schofield from Wisconsin he was beaten badly and gave up on the play. On the next play he recovered and did well. On day 2 he was beaten on an inside rush but recovered on the next play again. I'm not impressed with him. He appears very raw and IMO will be a project.

[B]Sam Young, T, ND[/B]
I'm a ND fan....but pass on Young. He looked consistently awful.

[B]Ed Wang, T, VT[/B]
Struggled with speed and finesse moves in 1-on-1s. He could handle the bull rush though. He looked good next to Iupati in combo drills and not bad in team. If he's there late (6th or later) he could develop, but right now he will get destroyed by any NFL player with a remote bit of speed off the edge.

[B]Jared Odrich, DT, PSU[/B]
Has a BIG motor and made some nice plays in 1-on-1s and team. He's a "nice to have" but we have too many other needs to waste a pick on him unless he falls ridiculously (which won't happen).

[B]Mitch Petrus, G, Arkansas[/B]
Didn't see too much of the South's 1-on-1s, they were too focused on Tebow every second. Petrus did not look good in the couple of plays I saw. His feet are very sloooowwww.

[B]John Jerry, G, Ole Miss[/B]
[B]Ciron Black, T, LSU[/B]
[B]Byers, G, USC[/B]
All looked solid in a couple of plays, but I didn't get to see enough to really tell anything on these guys.

[B]Tebow[/B] - yuk, pass on him. Fumbles, poor throws, throwing motion longer and slower than JC's.

[B]Joique Bell[/B]
Hard to gauge him, looked good in pass pro drill for a couple of plays and finished all his runs, but can't tell much without real contact. Mayock said he had a good week.

[B]QBs[/B] - LeFevour might be worth a pick late in the draft, but I wasn't impressed with any QB on either side.

diehardskin2982 01-29-2010 04:42 PM

read some articles that say Iupati can be moved to tackle

CultBrennan59 01-29-2010 06:14 PM

I really think we should get Tennant, because I read in SI.com that he's being compared to Tom Nalen, the Center for the Broncos for 12 years under Shanahan.

Son Of Man 01-29-2010 07:12 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;658848]I'm a huge fan of Mike Iupati and want him to become a skin. He is big, nasty and would bring a toughness to our line that we haven't seen since the Hogs. I have suggested in other threads that the Skins should target SF two first rounders as candidate to trade down with.

My dream scenario is this:

[B]Trade SF the 4th pick and Jason Campbell for their 2 first rounders and a third rounder. They do need a QB and a Safety. This move would give them a starting QB and a chance to draft Eric Berry. [I][U]We use the 13th to draft the best OT available and the 17th pick on Iupati. In the second round we draft QB Colt McCoy[/U][/I] or another QB that would warrent a high second rounder. 3rd round pick up Dexter McCluster of Ole Miss. [I][U]4th round pick up Matt Tenant Center of Boston College[/U][/I][/B]. 5th pick up LaMarcus Coker of Hampton or LeGarrette Blount if he falls this far or another player that fit our needs.

If we do these things and target the best Lineman in the free agent market, resign Levi Jones and grab a Vet QB to compete with the rookie, I think we can win next season.[/quote]

This scnario gives me a semi!

Dirtbag59 01-30-2010 04:23 PM

- Iupati (G Idaho) and Anthony Davis (T Rutgers) (not at the senior bowl) really do seem to be holders. They have a tendcey to catch D-Lineman then they do to punch them. Apparenly Mayock counted Iupati holding five times on a single drive. Tony Pike (QB Cinicinatti) doesn't look special either. Nor does Sam Young (T Notre Dame) who looks really stiff. Right now only guys that are impressing are the defensive guys and thats by default.

- Looking forward to seeing Selvish Capers (T WVU) and Vladamir Ducasse (T/G UMASS) play.

- Damn Ciron Black (T LSU) likes to bend at the waist. Avoid this guy like the plauge. And to think McShay had us picking him in his first mock draft back during the summer.

- Vladamir Ducasse (T/G UMASS) looks pretty good. A little raw but I would be happy if we drafted him.

- Capers (T WVU) looks relatively weak against the bull rush but the funny thing is he just went through a string of plays were the South threw the ball three times. Two times he protected the QB but was also part of the pocket collapsing but on the third try the rusher got tired and Capers kept him far away from the QB. Thing that makes me nervous about Capers is the fact that he's playing RT. At this point I think I would rather have Ducasse.

- Blount (RB Punch Oregon) actually looks pretty good. Personally I wouldn't be suprised to see Shanahan draft him around the 6th or 7th round. Then again thats just what we need, another Running Back with character issues.

- Capers (T WVU) is getting destroyed by Brandon Grahm (DE Michigan) at LT. Seems like he's nothing more then an athletic RT at this point. Personally none of the Lineman are impressing me right now except maybe DuCasse. I mean if people were fed up with Rabachs (C Redskins) ill timed penalities how are they going to feel about Iupati holding on every other play?

- It's sad how much Taylor Mays (S USC) looks like Sean Taylor (S Heaven) right now with the INT, wearing 21, and the tinted face mask.

- All of these OL stink. DuCasse (T UMass) and Capers (T WVU) have reasonably impressed but nothing special. I keep looking at Sam Young (T Notre Dame) and think he should be 10 times better but the fact of the matter is he can't move and he lacks basic awareness. On draw plays he doesn't even move his feet opting to just slap the defender on the shoulder pads as he goes by.

- From the first half it seems like we better hope for Bulaga (T Iowa), Campbell (T UMD), or Charles Brown (T USC) falls to us in the second.

- DuCasse (T/G UMASS) continues to be the only guy that impresses me on the line. He could be really special down the line. Does a nice job of driving and moving. Might need to improve his footwork in pass protection but everything else is there (size, speed, etc) Surprisingly he's a very good drive blocker and has a bit of a mean streak.

- I hate to say it but Blount (RB Oregon) looks like a great fit for Shanahans offense

- LeFevour's (QB CMU) impressive. Nice zip on his throws, great mobility. Only thing that worries me is he struggled under center. Much more impressive then Tony Pike.

- Wang (T VT) looks decent.

- DuCasse and LeFevour are now two of my favorite prospects. DuCasse would be a great pick in the second round especially if all the big name tackles are gone. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take DuCasse in the First Round.

GTripp0012 01-30-2010 06:38 PM

LeFevour throws the 9 route with ideal accuracy to Mardy Gilyard for 6. Somewhere Brian Kelly is smiling.

53Fan 01-30-2010 06:42 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;659272]-

- LeFevour's (QB CMU) impressive. Nice zip on his throws, great mobility. Only thing that worries me is he struggled under center. Much more impressive then Tony Pike.

- DuCasse and [B]LeFevour are now two of my favorite prospects[/B]. DuCasse would be a great pick in the second round especially if all the big name tackles are gone. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take DuCasse in the First Round.[/quote]

LeFevour is definitely one of mine. Could turn out to be the best QB in the draft.

GTripp0012 01-30-2010 06:53 PM

I'm surprised no one is talking about Zac Robinson (well, maybe just because SmootSmack isn't here). He's the one who increased his draft stock most in my eyes in this game. I would have to look at him as a possible second round pick now.

Very fluid and natural in his actions.

GTripp0012 01-30-2010 06:54 PM

And then theres that.

CultBrennan59 01-30-2010 07:19 PM

Sounds like Blount, Lefevour, and zac robinson did really good. Also sounds like Riley cooper andre roberts and mardy gilyard did great too.How did the defense do?

SFREDSKIN 01-30-2010 07:29 PM

I'm all for an angry Samoan draft:

Iupati
Misi
Alualu

Dirtbag59 01-30-2010 07:29 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;659301]Sounds like Blount, Lefevour, and zac robinson did really good. Also sounds like Riley cooper andre roberts and mardy gilyard did great too.How did the defense do?[/quote]

Don't forget DuCasse. Maybe not the best lineman in practice but definitely the best during the game. Mike Johnson (G Alabama) seemed to do decent. Iupati was fine but his tendency to try to hold as well as his nature as a mauler makes me a little uneasy. Besides we already have our big guy in Dockery. Wang (T VT) looked serviceable but I wouldn't trust him to block Ware.

Black (LSU) and Young (ND) were terrible. I want nothing to do with those two.