Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dolphins likely to cut Porter before March (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35062)

tryfuhl 02-02-2010 10:31 AM

Dolphins likely to cut Porter before March

[quote]

Despite other media questioning the validity of my report, it was confirmed Monday -- by Porter himself. He went on the Jim Rome show and basically repeated most everything he told his hometown radio station, including the idea that the best thing to happen now is that he's traded.

"I mean, it would just kind of be the smart thing do," Porter said of a trade out of Miami.

Porter also confirmed the meeting with Sparano.

I have also confirmed that Monday's nationally telecast call for a trade didn't take the Dolphins by surprise. Porter, a league source told me, has told the Dolphins he would like to be traded.

But in going public with his desire in this and the Bakersfield, California radio interview, Porter has all but sealed his fate. Even though the Dolphins last week had not made up their collective minds that Porter had played his last game for Miami, that is changing.

[/quote]
[URL="http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/02/last-week-i-reported-to-you-exclusively-that-joey-porter-went-on-a-hometown-radio-show-and-said-he-didnt-want-to-return-to-th.html"]Miami Dolphins In Depth[/URL]

CRedskinsRule 02-02-2010 10:54 AM

Re: Dolphins likely to cut Porter before March

Any chance Miami would consider the 6th rounder of ours this year as the trade value, and just give him to us. They got the other guy back right, it only seems fair.

Redskin Warrior 02-02-2010 10:59 AM

How old is he now?

CRedskinsRule 02-02-2010 11:00 AM

he will be 33 at the start of next season.

Redskin Warrior 02-02-2010 11:06 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;659777]he will be 33 at the start of next season.[/quote]

Do you he is still a pro bowl caliber player? Or is he on the decline?

CRedskinsRule 02-02-2010 11:12 AM

I really don't know, I know I wouldn't give any picks for him, I think we are fairly set at DE/OLB regardless of scheme. I just want to get something for our 6th round pick...

Lotus 02-02-2010 11:29 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;659779]I really don't know, I know I wouldn't give any picks for him, I think we are fairly set at DE/OLB regardless of scheme. I just want to get something for our 6th round pick...[/quote]

Maybe the Fins will give us Jimmy Buffett. :)

Lotus 02-02-2010 11:30 AM

[quote=Redskin Warrior;659778]Do you he is still a pro bowl caliber player? Or is he on the decline?[/quote]

The reason why Porter is on the outs with the Fins is a bad attitude. He was suspended for such one game last year. If we get Porter, we're getting a known troublemaker.

Chico23231 02-02-2010 11:43 AM

We dont need him...

skinsnut 02-02-2010 11:47 AM

We could always use OLB help...that was a major need off season...and if we are toying with the 3-4 idea, we are lighter still. I would love this guy on the team for a couple years...trading for him is probably not an option considering how few picks we have.

He was drafted by Pittsburgh in Haslett's final year...he played on D and special teams that year for Haslett.

He has been shot, he has assaulted Levi Jones...lots of off the field garbage stuff. Shanny has a history of bringing on problem children...so...to me it seem that it certainly would be possible for this new regime to highly consider Joey Porter if he is released...as a starting OLB.

diehardskin2982 02-02-2010 12:09 PM

I don't want this guy on our team. He is old and a Tool. If we are going to target a mlb in free agentcy we should go after D'Qwell Jackson. A young player who went to Maryland and before going on IR this year lead his team in tackles every year since his rookie season.

NYCskinfan82 02-02-2010 03:30 PM

Hell of a LB if we could get him for next to no money then give him a chance if he makes the team then oh well.

DIE-NASTY 02-02-2010 03:50 PM

I like Porter. Yeah he's getting up there age-wise but he can still play. And better yet, he'd bring some nastiness to our defense. I kind of like the fact that he isn't afraid of putting his foot in someone's ass. (He is a linebacker for shits-sake.) Barkley was known for periodically assaulting people and look at him - he's was one of the best forwards in NBA history. So let's sign the bad-ass LB to an incentive-laden contract if he's cut.

ethat001 02-02-2010 05:42 PM

NO way. Sign a 33 year old OLB?? Why??? Do we expect to replace the OLB position for ONE YEAR and go to the SuperBowl? No? -- well then, let's actually make FA moves that make sense long-term.

We already took Jason Taylor - look how that experiment went. Did nothing, cost a lot of money, and we gave him back to Miami.

DIE-NASTY 02-02-2010 07:19 PM

[quote=ethat001;659911]NO way. Sign a 33 year old OLB?? Why??? Do we expect to replace the OLB position for ONE YEAR and go to the SuperBowl? No? -- well then, let's actually make FA moves that make sense long-term.

We already took Jason Taylor - look how that experiment went. Did nothing, cost a lot of money, and we gave him back to Miami.[/quote]

Jason Taylor is a different scenario. JT is a tweener DE/OLB and we tried to force him into our mold of a run-stuffing DE which he isn't. Porter is an OLB and would make sense IF WE SWITCH TO A 3-4. There won't be very many quality FA in an uncapped year (as I understand it) so signing Porter (a guy who had 17.5 sacks 2 years ago) to an incentive-laden contract would make sense. Even if we gave him a big, one-year deal - who cares? It's Danny's money and you know he'll spend it. Why wouldn't you want to add a guy with that can produce big numbers?