Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The end of the three point stance? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35166)

mlmpetert 02-08-2010 10:57 AM

Re: The end of the three point stance?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I truly do not like Goodell. I don’t recall any player getting knocked out or getting a concussion in the “trenches”. How about you talk about trying to make changes in the helmets before making these crazy suggestions. [/FONT][/COLOR]

MTK 02-08-2010 11:19 AM

[quote=mlmpetert;661496][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I truly do not like Goodell. [B]I don’t recall any player getting knocked out or getting a concussion in the “trenches”.[/B] How about you talk about trying to make changes in the helmets before making these crazy suggestions. [/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

You may not get knocked out but the cumulative effect of all the little impacts over time may be more damaging than the big hits.

SmootSmack 02-08-2010 12:03 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;661496][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I truly do not like Goodell. I don’t recall any player getting knocked out or getting a concussion in the “trenches”. How about you talk about trying to make changes in the helmets before making these crazy suggestions. [/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

He did also talk about improved helmets (sometime over the weekend, maybe not in that specific interview)

WaldSkins 02-08-2010 12:19 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;661514]He did also talk about improved helmets (sometime over the weekend, maybe not in that specific interview)[/quote]

Maybe they can get all these new ideas ironed out during the work stoppage.

MTK 02-08-2010 12:22 PM

Anyone see the latest segment on concussions on HBO's Real Sports? The research that is coming out is downright scary.

MTK 02-08-2010 12:24 PM

[quote=freddyg12;661492]Playing football can't be good for your brain long-term. I think in the next 10 years or so more conclusive evidence about concussions will emerge, which of course won't be good for the game's image. I see a few things on the horizon - 18 games, lockout, economics - [B]that could really mark the beginning of the end for the nfl as the country's most popular sport[/B].[/quote]

I really think it would take A LOT for that to happen. The league's popularity continues to grow each year. Besides, what else is going to step up to take it's place?

mlmdub130 02-08-2010 12:25 PM

[quote=Mattyk;661530]I really think it would take A LOT for that to happen. The league's popularity continues to grow each year. Besides, what else is going to step up to take it's place?[/quote]

the caps, here in dc it's hockey mania right now, no one is talking about the skins at all the caps are taking over 14 straight wins right now

irish 02-08-2010 12:30 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;661532]the caps, here in dc it's hockey mania right now, no one is talking about the skins at all the caps are taking over 14 straight wins right now[/quote]

The caps are definitely #1 in the city now.

Maybe the NFL could just ban blocking all together and go to flag football like I played in college intramurals where there was no blocking, team speed was what it was all about. That would remove the risk of concussions. I appreciate trying to make things safer but the game carries inheriant risks and anyone that doesnt want to accept those risks shouldnt play.

53Fan 02-08-2010 12:36 PM

[quote=irish;661537]The caps are definitely #1 in the city now.

Maybe the NFL could just ban blocking all together and go to flag football like I played in college intramurals where there was no blocking, team speed was what it was all about. That would remove the risk of concussions. [B] I appreciate trying to make things safer but the game carries inheriant risks and anyone that doesnt want to accept those risks shouldnt play[/B].[/quote]

I agree. High risk, high reward. The equipment should be improved but not the way the game is played. Some players don't take full advantage of what is available now, which is their right, because they feel it inhibits their performance. Thigh pads are a case in point.

freddyg12 02-08-2010 01:40 PM

[quote=Mattyk;661530]I really think it would take A LOT for that to happen. The league's popularity continues to grow each year. Besides, what else is going to step up to take it's place?[/quote]

I'm not saying it would happen quickly, but I think an 18 game season would be the start of it. This year we saw what happens to teams in a down economy, including ours; people don't go to the games, and even some on this site said they weren't watching every game.

The labor situation always makes pro sports look worse than it should. People just don't have sympathy for the owners or players in these disputes. I could see this one getting ugly & it really having an impact on fans economic decisions.

As for what would take it's place; there's plenty to do that. There is so much entertainment out there at much cheaper cost & greater convenience. Until the 1950s or so, college football was by far more popular than the nfl. Despite whatever negative feelings fans have for the ncaa, college athletics has alumni that feel great loyalty to their schools, and enjoy the game day experience enough to make the trip for every home game. As more Americans attend college w/each generation, college sports has a built in audience. I could see college football becoming more popular than the nfl in the next 10 years, especially if a playoff system can be created.

MTK 02-08-2010 01:41 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;661532]the caps, here in dc it's hockey mania right now, no one is talking about the skins at all the caps are taking over 14 straight wins right now[/quote]

Well let's be honest it's the dead part of the offseason for the Skins.

Besides I'm talking nationally. The NHL is a distant 4th amongst the big 4 sports, it's in no danger of threatening the NFL.

Dirtbag59 02-08-2010 02:02 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;661514]He did also talk about improved helmets (sometime over the weekend, maybe not in that specific interview)[/quote]

That would mean the lightweight helmets are probably gone. You've all probably seen them before they have a ridge, sort of like a mohawk, over the middle of the helmet and the holes are a little longer. Not the worst idea in the world, especially if you're trying to prevent concussions.

[IMG]http://www.goallineathletics.com/images/orig_Schutt_Youth_ION_4D_Football_Helmet-LG.jpg[/IMG]

However if you get rid of the 3 point stance you fundamentally change the game. It's honestly a horrible idea. At that point you might as well make running the ball illegal. Hopefully the fans will speak up and make sure that this does not get past. I'm pretty sure though that the D-Lineman, O-Lineman, and Running Backs will have something to say since this rule could seriously affect their value.

NYCskinfan82 02-08-2010 03:20 PM

The National Flag League it will be this soon.

GTripp0012 02-08-2010 03:47 PM

If it can actually curb concussions...more lineman are using the two point stance than ever before.

But there would have to be some actual evidence that this could accomplish that goal before they just got rid of a staple of football for the sake of doing it.

Dirtbag59 02-08-2010 04:05 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;661628]If it can actually curb concussions...more lineman are using the two point stance than ever before.

But there would have to be some actual evidence that this could accomplish that goal before they just got rid of a staple of football for the sake of doing it.[/quote]

Yeah but what about D-Lineman on the interior? What position would they be allowed to play in?