Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   NFL Draft Central (http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/)
-   -   Malcolm Kelly gives his thoughts on Sam Bradford (http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/35215-malcolm-kelly-gives-his-thoughts-sam.html)

Mattyk 02-12-2010 09:19 AM

Malcolm Kelly gives his thoughts on Sam Bradford

With already so much buzz about the Redskins possibly using the No. 4 overall pick to draft quarterback Sam Bradford, I figured it would be a good time to get a scouting report from Malcolm Kelly about his former Oklahoma Sooners teammate.

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/malcolm-kelly-gives-his-though.html]Redskins Insider - Malcolm Kelly gives his thoughts on Sam Bradford[/url]

BigHairedAristocrat 02-12-2010 10:20 AM

Re: Malcolm Kelly gives his thoughts on Sam Bradford

what else would MK say? Of course he's going to give a glowing report about his teams old QB.

skinsfaninok 02-12-2010 11:11 AM

Well if My old college QB made me a star and helped get me good money, I would Love him also lol

NYCskinfan82 02-12-2010 12:13 PM

No news here Bradford looks good on film MK is being honest as well as doing what a ex-teammate would do tell nice things about each other. I just think we should try the youth in the OL first before giving up on our QB or draft a QB later maybe 4th or 5th round.

Player_HTTR 02-12-2010 12:21 PM

I was gonna hate on DT for a bit and decided against it, went away and read some articles on [URL="http://redskinshogheaven.com/"]MK/DT[/URL], it made me hate on Zorn more and put me back into perspective. Watching a corner fade into the end zone to freakin Santana Moss last year drove me f'n nuts. Maybe all of these young guys will finally be put into a situation to excel. Finally.

**** Meant this to go into the DT thread

Dirtbag59 02-12-2010 01:07 PM

[quote=NYCskinfan82;662771]No news here Bradford looks good on film MK is being honest as well as doing what a ex-teammate would do tell nice things about each other. I just think we should try the youth in the OL first before giving up on our [B]QB or draft a QB later maybe 4th or 5th round[/B].[/quote]

Most of the time that would just be drafting a QB just to say you drafted one. Even if he develops into a starter the most likely case would be on par with a Bruce Gradowski or Derrick Anderson, where you usually find yourself begging the front office to replace them in a year or two. Colt might develop into a good NFL player but he's on the roster right now thanks to a great preseason performance 2 years ago. You take a lineman with that fourth or fifth round pick and history says you have a decent chance to find a starter.

3rd round seems to be the latest round where you can find a decent QB. Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, and Tom Brady are exceptions to the rule and are surrounded by QB's in similar positions that were out of the league in a few years if that.

NYCskinfan82 02-12-2010 01:18 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;662784]Most of the time that would just be drafting a QB just to say you drafted one. Even if he develops into a starter the most likely case would be on par with a Bruce Gradowski or Derrick Anderson, where you usually find yourself begging the front office to replace them in a year or two. Colt might develop into a good NFL player but he's on the roster right now thanks to a great preseason performance 2 years ago. You take a lineman with that fourth or fifth round pick and history says you have a decent chance to find a starter.

[B]3rd round seems to be the latest round where you can find a decent QB. [/B]Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, and Tom Brady are exceptions to the rule and are surrounded by QB's in similar positions that were out of the league in a few years if that.[/quote]

Agree 110% but as you know we don't have a 3rd round pick gave it up for Jarmon & i'm not upset about that.

Ruhskins 02-12-2010 03:47 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;662743][B]what else would MK say? [/B] Of course he's going to give a glowing report about his teams old QB.[/quote]

Ditto.

Longtimefan 02-12-2010 04:29 PM

His thoughts sum up what the scouting report on Bradford has confirmed, good arm strength, confidence and accurate. He'll have to get stronger to play at the next level though. Kelly only played one year with him and caught forty-nine balls, not what you'd call a history but I would expect him to only have good things to say about the kid.

theJBexperience 02-12-2010 09:30 PM

I don't remember him being particularly accurate, definitely not in the 2009 BCS Championship game.

Dirtbag59 02-12-2010 09:32 PM

[quote=theJBexperience;662922]I don't remember him being particularly accurate, definitely not in the 2009 BCS Championship game.[/quote]

Yeah 63% is pretty erratic if you ask me.

GusFrerotte 02-12-2010 10:13 PM

Come on Bradford put Kelly on the map and vice versa. I will say this til I get blue in the face, Bradford is a good to great QB that was on a loaded team that could have beaten the weaker teams in the NFL. Along with this fact is that with the exception of Texas and a newly rebuilt Nebraska program, there wasn't much in terms of competition in the Big 12. Mizzou and T Tech went down a notch in '09 from '08, and the rest of the conference as well. Get a QB in the mid rounds that showed poise, put up good numbers, against competiton that was equal or stronger most every week or just made things happen on a team that wasn't stocked with NFL caliber talent. Face it, Shanny has a major rebuilding task on his hands and any newbie might have to be able to deal with adverse game situations. In short, guys on teams that faced tough competition most of or all of the season and didn't play down to their competition or just roll over inferior opponents. Yes I am talking about the Pikes, Lefevours, etc of the draft. Bradford and Clausen are garnering all of the hype, but there is a gold mine of great potential Qbs coming out this year. Also, the injury thing still has to worry any sane person. Yeah, maybe the injuries were hyped up, but still do you think this guy is going to be able to take pops from Demarcus Ware and co for 16 games? I mean if we draft this guy I am going to root for him 100%, but I am going to cringe extra hard every time he takes a nasty hit.

Dirtbag59 02-12-2010 10:33 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;662931]Come on Bradford put Kelly on the map and vice versa. I will say this til I get blue in the face, Bradford is a good to great QB that was on a loaded team that could have beaten the weaker teams in the NFL. Along with this fact is that with the exception of Texas and a newly rebuilt Nebraska program, there wasn't much in terms of competition in the Big 12. Mizzou and T Tech went down a notch in '09 from '08, and the rest of the conference as well.

Get a QB in the mid rounds that showed poise, put up good numbers, against competiton that was equal or stronger most every week or just made things happen on a team that wasn't stocked with NFL caliber talent. Face it, Shanny has a major rebuilding task on his hands and any newbie might have to be able to deal with adverse game situations. In short, guys on teams that faced tough competition most of or all of the season and didn't play down to their competition or just roll over inferior opponents.

Yes I am talking about the Pikes, Lefevours, etc of the draft. Bradford and Clausen are garnering all of the hype, but there is a gold mine of great potential Qbs coming out this year. Also, the injury thing still has to worry any sane person. Yeah, maybe the injuries were hyped up, but still do you think this guy is going to be able to take pops from Demarcus Ware and co for 16 games? I mean if we draft this guy I am going to root for him 100%, but I am going to cringe extra hard every time he takes a nasty hit.[/quote]

So are you comfortable putting everything on JC this year and if he fails having our plan B being a QB class where none of the top 3 prospects threw for over 60% last year (Mallet, Locker, Prior)?

I mean think about it we have two of the most accurate QB's in college history at our disposal not to mention another guy who hit 68% of his passes this year in Clausen. The best part is we don't have to give away picks to select any of them. That means one extra player that we can add on the line or wherever else we have needs.

Look strength of competition isn't the only thing. Matt Ryan came out of the ACC, Joe Flacco came out of....well somewhere. Jamarcus Russell on the other hand played in the Conference of the God's and at this points he's a huge bust. In fact outside of Cutler under Shanahan the SEC hasn't really produced any QB's lately though I do believe Stafford is going to be pretty good up in Detroit.

We already passed up Drew Brees on account of JC, lets not make the same mistake again and pass up on a possible franchise QB.

Ruhskins 02-13-2010 06:42 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;662933]So are you comfortable putting everything on JC this year and if he fails having our plan B being a QB class where none of the top 3 prospects threw for over 60% last year (Mallet, Locker, Prior)?

I mean think about it we have two of the most accurate QB's in college history at our disposal not to mention another guy who hit 68% of his passes this year in Clausen. The best part is we don't have to give away picks to select any of them. That means one extra player that we can add on the line or wherever else we have needs.

Look strength of competition isn't the only thing. Matt Ryan came out of the ACC, Joe Flacco came out of....well somewhere. Jamarcus Russell on the other hand played in the Conference of the God's and at this points he's a huge bust. In fact outside of Cutler under Shanahan the SEC hasn't really produced any QB's lately though I do believe Stafford is going to be pretty good up in Detroit.

[B]We already passed up Drew Brees on account of JC, lets not make the same mistake again and pass up on a possible franchise QB[/B].[/quote]

I was under the impression that Gibbs wanted a veteran QB? (Brunell)