Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Winter Olympics Who's Watching (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35220)

firstdown 02-12-2010 12:19 PM

Winter Olympics Who's Watching

I really enjoy just about all the events in the winter Olympics and plan on watching alot over the next two weeks. It does help that its very cold out and not much else to do. So will you be watching and what sports do you like best?

SmootSmack 02-12-2010 12:34 PM

Re: Winter Olympics Who's Watching

Olympics aren't the same as they used to be, but I still love watching. Like to watch hockey and speed skating. But my favorites are events like the bobsled and the luge

mlmdub130 02-12-2010 12:35 PM

after the opening ceremony in chinia i'm interested in checking these ones out

mredskins 02-12-2010 12:48 PM

hockey and that is it.

WaldSkins 02-12-2010 12:52 PM

Anything but figure skating is fine by me

Trample the Elderly 02-12-2010 12:55 PM

ehhh . . . . that's alright. I'm going to see Snoop Dog on the 24th.

firstdown 02-12-2010 01:23 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;662777]Olympics aren't the same as they used to be, but I still love watching. Like to watch hockey and speed skating. But my favorites are events like the bobsled and the luge[/quote]

I really get into the speed skating. They are so close and at anytime anything can happen and I also like the bobsled and luge. The X game stuff that now is in the Olympics is also pretty good to watch.

MTK 02-12-2010 01:30 PM

Wake me when it's over.

celts32 02-12-2010 02:05 PM

[quote=mredskins;662780]hockey and that is it.[/quote]

I used to love hockey before the NHL players got involved. And I am a huge NHL fan, but it just doesn't interest me to see which country has the best profesional players. I loved when we sent our college kids and we were the underdogs.

Dirtbag59 02-12-2010 02:29 PM

Waiting for hockey but feel torn on the prospect of Sweden and Russia going deep. If the Caps had already won a cup I would feel more comfortable rooting for those two teams but right now I just want to avoid late season fatigue and injury.

firstdown 02-12-2010 02:34 PM

[quote=Mattyk;662790]Wake me when it's over.[/quote]
You cannot get into any of the winter games ? Curling?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM5mFH3_Qhs&NR=1]YouTube - Jennifer Jones Best Curling Shot![/ame]

MTK 02-12-2010 02:49 PM

Yawnlympics.

ArtMonkDrillz 02-12-2010 03:32 PM

WOW, sad start to the games already: [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Nodar-Kumaritashvili-suffers-life-threatening-in?urn=oly,219382]UPDATE: Georgian luger Kumaritashvili dies from crash - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

Sounds like they were pushing the limit on part of the track in terms of safety. Three crashes and one fatality already.

SmootSmack 02-12-2010 04:15 PM

Horrible start. So sad to hear

Beemnseven 02-12-2010 06:53 PM

The Olympics are the cure-all for my insomnia.

When does football season start?

budw38 02-12-2010 07:36 PM

Very sad about the Georgian Luger . Hard to believe that little margin for error in that sport , not to mention the wall being low enough for the athlete to leave the course .

tryfuhl 02-13-2010 12:15 AM

That's crazy, the luge incidents; I love the Olympics just for pride and seeing our guys win or try their hardest. I even watch the ice skating and stuff.

mlmdub130 02-15-2010 07:03 PM

anyone see the highlight from the usa womens hockey game they won 12-1 against china? one of the goals was sick tried to find a video online of it but found nothing. she put it through the legs of the defender then came back across and went through the goalies legs it was pretty impresive, looked like ov8. who knew they attempted to play hockey in china

GMScud 02-15-2010 09:29 PM

I like hockey and the mogul/aerial skiing. That is all.

firstdown 02-16-2010 12:39 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;663291]anyone see the highlight from the usa womens hockey game they won 12-1 against china? one of the goals was sick tried to find a video online of it but found nothing. she put it through the legs of the defender then came back across and went through the goalies legs it was pretty impresive, looked like ov8. who knew they attempted to play hockey in china[/quote]

They are showing the Hockey on another channel but I'm not sure which one.

ArtMonkDrillz 02-16-2010 01:01 PM

So curling is clearly the most physically exhausting sport one can compete in. Apparently [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Canadian-curler-is-five-months-pregnant?urn=oly,219941"]it takes two people [/URL] to push the stone down the ice.

CooleyAsCanBe 02-16-2010 01:57 PM

I like the modern snow sports, like moguls and snowboarding, as well as hockey and short-track speed skating.

The opening ceremony was quite impressive, not as large as China's but just as technological and new, except for the huge malfunction when they went to light the torch at the end. Gretzky's face was hilarious.

firstdown 02-16-2010 02:22 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;663474]So curling is clearly the most physically exhausting sport one can compete in. Apparently [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Canadian-curler-is-five-months-pregnant?urn=oly,219941"]it takes two people [/URL]to push the stone down the ice.[/quote]

I think the history of curling dates back to the 1500's is what makes the sport an Olympic event but who can forget the song.

[B][I]O[/I][/B] curlers, come, we're brithers a',
[B][I]C[/I][/B] ome join the curling game;
[B][I]O[/I][/B] ur eyes are keen, our arms are true,
[B][I]O[/I][/B] ur courage is aflame;
[B][I]I[/I][/B] n winter air, and sport so rare,
[B][I]T[/I][/B] he stones our weapons be,
[B][I]W[/I][/B] e'll make the fight with honest might,
[B][I]T[/I][/B] o gain the victory:
[B][I]A[/I][/B] man who is a curling man,
[B][I]N[/I][/B] o better man than he.

Slingin Sammy 33 02-16-2010 02:46 PM

[quote=firstdown;663521]I think the history of curling dates back to the 1500's is what makes the sport an Olympic event but who can forget the song.

[B][I]O[/I][/B] curlers, come, we're brithers a',
[B][I]C[/I][/B] ome join the curling game;
[B][I]O[/I][/B] ur eyes are keen, our arms are true,
[B][I]O[/I][/B] ur courage is aflame;
[B][I]I[/I][/B] n winter air, and sport so rare,
[B][I]T[/I][/B] he stones our weapons be,
[B][I]W[/I][/B] e'll make the fight with honest might,
[B][I]T[/I][/B] o gain the victory:
[B][I]A[/I][/B] man who is a curling man,
[B][I]N[/I][/B] o better man than he.[/quote]Charles Barkley has great respect for curling.

Monkeydad 02-16-2010 03:14 PM

[quote=firstdown;663466]They are showing the Hockey on another channel but I'm not sure which one.[/quote]

Saw a few minutes at the beginning of Canada's 18-0 win over Slovakia in women's hockey. They should just go home after that one! (Slovaks) :D

Overall, these games have been a failure for the hosts. First the luge of death and the opening blatant ceremony screw-ups, then the Daytona 500-like delays in speed skating because they wanted to use an "environmentally friendly" zamboni and it left an ice surface that was having melting and bump issues and had to be fixed before another lethal crash...and Lindsey Vonn said the downhill course was the bumpiest she's ever been on, and her injury is not liking it.

Leave it to Canada to screw up something so badly. I bet they Olympic Village is even running short on bagged milk.

firstdown 02-16-2010 03:52 PM

[quote=Buster;663557]Saw a few minutes at the beginning of Canada's 18-0 win over Slovakia in women's hockey. They should just go home after that one! (Slovaks) :D

Overall, these games have been a failure for the hosts. First the luge of death and the opening blatant ceremony screw-ups, then the Daytona 500-like delays in speed skating because they wanted to use an "environmentally friendly" zamboni and it left an ice surface that was having melting and bump issues and had to be fixed before another lethal crash...and Lindsey Vonn said the downhill course was the bumpiest she's ever been on, and her injury is not liking it.

Leave it to Canada to screw up something so badly. I bet they Olympic Village is even running short on bagged milk.[/quote]

I heard that Canada will spend 5 billion to get ready and host the Olympics.

Monkeydad 02-16-2010 03:58 PM

Huh? It does seem like they haven't spent enough yet. :D

mredskins 02-16-2010 04:07 PM

2-0,usa, 2nd period men's hockey

now 3-0

TheMalcolmConnection 02-16-2010 04:15 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;663474]So curling is clearly the most physically exhausting sport one can compete in. Apparently [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Canadian-curler-is-five-months-pregnant?urn=oly,219941"]it takes two people [/URL] to push the stone down the ice.[/quote]

That sport absolutely cracks me up. When are we going to see bowling and darts in the summer games?!

SmootSmack 02-16-2010 04:28 PM

[url=http://www.hulu.com/watch/128021/the-simpsons-lets-curl]Hulu - The Simpsons: Let's Curl[/url]

ArtMonkDrillz 02-16-2010 04:43 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;663605]That sport absolutely cracks me up. When are we going to see bowling and darts in the summer games?![/quote]How about beer pong and Halo 3?

firstdown 02-16-2010 05:27 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;663637]How about beer pong and Halo 3?[/quote]

Most of the new snowboarding and sking stuff was invented after a few games of beer pong.

Hog1 02-16-2010 06:08 PM

Actually the snowboarding events were invented to give the USA a shot at winning something. After all....no way the other countries stoners can take the US stoners?

Dirtbag59 02-16-2010 06:51 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;663637]How about beer pong and Halo 3?[/quote]

Great instead of banners along the rafters we'll have trashy empty alcoholic containers.

mooby 02-16-2010 07:42 PM

I'm interested in the hockey, luge, bobsledding, and snowboard/skiiing, but mostly interested in hockey. USA is my first rooting interest but I feel like if we get knocked out in hockey I wouldn't mind seeing Russia win, or at least see Canada lose. I got into bobsledding only because of Cool Runnings though, I love that movie lol.

skinsfan_nn 02-16-2010 07:43 PM

Of course...

USA Hockey team today kicks that Switzerland ass. Skiing/Luge downhill and getting it!

GO USA!!!!!

CRedskinsRule 02-16-2010 08:02 PM

I am just thankful it's on NBC, and there are no shows I actually like being pushed aside for it. I can watch my shows, and y'all can watch the Olympics. Enjoy.

jamf 02-17-2010 01:18 AM

I can't stand NBCs coverage.

I love watching most of the sports but I just can't deal with a commercial every two minutes.

Costas and Collinsworths feel good stories make it feel like inside the NFL.

Just show the damn event uninterrupted! I don't care if there isn't commentary just show it instead of previews for the new season of crappy shows for middle aged america.

BleedBurgundy 02-17-2010 12:41 PM

Haven't watched a second, couldn't care less honestly.

GMScud 02-17-2010 01:30 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;663605]That sport absolutely cracks me up. When are we going to see bowling and darts in the summer games?![/quote]

Seriously. Full disclosure, I'm watching curling right now (for about 2 minutes), and the commentator just said "boy, she's really going for the jugular on that one." LOL!! Some fat chick just pushed a stone. Way to go for the throat. What an out and out joke of an olympic event. I mean, how does one get into curling? Are you just sitting around a frozen pond bored out of your mind with some brooms and a rock??

On a side note, I'm looking forward to seeing Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn later.