Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chester Taylor anyone? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35243)

over the mountain 02-16-2010 05:05 PM

Re: Chester Taylor anyone?

[quote=celts32;663462]I would like to check out Laurence Maroney...he seemed to get in the Belicheck doghouse imediately and never got out. They spread carries out so much that he was barely used it seems. He could have a lot of gas left in the tank. When he finally got a chance because of injuries this year he ran pretty well...but he also had some fumble issues. I love his upside though based on what we could probably sign him for.[/quote]

thats pretty interesting man, honestly havent thought about him but you are right, he was kinda in the doghouse.

was he injured early in the season then just never given back his full starting job?

im also warming to the idea of chester taylor or willie parker (whom i think could do very well if our run scheme is like the broncos).

what is the status of willie? outside chance he is a late roster cut casualty?

Ruhskins 02-16-2010 05:12 PM

[quote=over the mountain;663659]thats pretty interesting man, honestly havent thought about him but you are right, he was kinda in the doghouse.

was he injured early in the season then just never given back his full starting job?

im also warming to the idea of chester taylor or willie parker (whom i think could do very well if our run scheme is like the broncos).

what is the status of willie? outside chance he is a late roster cut casualty?[/quote]

In regards to Maroney, we should start rumors that he and Adalius Thomas are best friends. I'm sure that will get him cut in a heart beat by Darth Hoody.

Willie Parker will likely hit free agency. The question with him will be his durability, I think part of the reason why he lost out his starter role to Mendenhall was his health.

tryfuhl 02-16-2010 09:03 PM

[quote=over the mountain;663659]thats pretty interesting man, honestly havent thought about him but you are right, he was kinda in the doghouse.

what is the status of willie? outside chance he is a late roster cut casualty?[/quote]
I think that he had some fumbling issues but not sure if that was it.. I know he had a big goal line fumble

Swarley 02-16-2010 09:15 PM

I wouldnt be against Taylor at all. I've always liked him as a player and as long as it wouldnt cost us big (which it probably wont) I dont mind.

SirClintonPortis 02-16-2010 11:16 PM

He can be a stopgap to replace Betts since it will take a while to rehab both of his knees.

Kalisto2010 02-17-2010 02:50 PM

[quote=wolfeskins;663444]i would rather the skins draft a rb[/quote]

Even though Chester Taylor is awesome, especially on draw plays and catching the ball out of the backfield. RB has evolved into a young mans position. Gone are the days where old Veterans like Gerald Riggs and Otis Anderson can carry the load for you to the Superbowl.

SmootSmack 02-17-2010 02:53 PM

[quote=Kalisto2010;664088]Even though Chester Taylor is awesome, especially on draw plays and catching the ball out of the backfield. RB has evolved into a young mans position. Gone are the days where old Veterans like Gerald Riggs and Otis Anderson can carry the load for you to the Superbowl.[/quote]

I'll never forget our SB season of 1991 when Riggs had less than 80 carries but had more TDs (11) than Byner and Ervins combined.

MTK 02-17-2010 02:57 PM

RB has always been a young man's position. Outside of a few exceptions most guys typically hit the wall at 30 or 31.

44Deezel 02-17-2010 08:34 PM

[quote=dmek25;663431]i would assume he wants to start. lets try to stay away from anyone that's 30 years old, or older[/quote]

We should have a no starting running back policy. Get 2 or 3 good ones and split carries. Skins shouldn't give a crap who the starter is. What about Willie Parker? Where's the Willie Parker thread? Keep Portis and platoon him with one or two other backs. RBs are a dime a dozen. Don't need a great one to win the Super Bowl. See also Saints, Steelers (with Willie Parker), Colts, Patriots.

Need a good, solid [U]running game[/U], not necessarily a great running back.

44Deezel 02-17-2010 08:44 PM

[quote=Kalisto2010;664088]Even though Chester Taylor is awesome, especially on draw plays and catching the ball out of the backfield. RB has evolved into a young mans position. Gone are the days where old Veterans like Gerald Riggs and Otis Anderson can carry the load for you to the Superbowl.[/quote]

Gone are the days when RBs even matter that much anymore, at least when it comes to playing in Super Bowls. Look at the last 10 Super Bowls, both the winners and the losers.

Saints, Colts, Steelers (featuring one William Parker), Eagles, Seahawks, Patriots (did they even have any running backs?), Ravens, Raiders, Bears, Rams, Giants, Cardinals.

Outside of Shaun Alexander and Marshall Faulk, these teams didn't have any all-world running backs that carried their teams to victory. Many platooned their backfields or at least got by with a solid enough running game to keep Defenses honest.

Pair Clinton Portis with a Willie Parker or Chester Taylor and mix in a rookie or free agent and now you're cooking with gas. Just need an O line and a credible passing game to open up the running game.

My philosophy on running backs is usually Young and Cheap! But if you have to pay Portis anyway and can get a proven complimentary back without breaking the bank, that will do as well.

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-17-2010 08:44 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;663437]what is the difference between him and betts? no thanks![/quote]

hes better than betts at almost everything

NYCskinfan82 02-17-2010 09:03 PM

Remember we Anthony Alridge to put in the mix to he's fast. (hopefully they can fix his fumble problem)

GusFrerotte 02-17-2010 09:31 PM

[quote=Mattyk;663434]I wouldn't be against going after Taylor. Betts is probably done here coming off major knee surgery and Portis isn't a workhorse #1 anymore. At the very least Taylor would be a nice addition to compliment Portis and be the 3rd down back.[/quote]

I agree, Taylor is still a quality back, and can be quite effective if he say takes a quarter to a third of the rushing load off of Clinton. Signing him to a two year deal would be a nice move.

TheSmurfs22 02-17-2010 09:42 PM

Anyone who in this day and age has the name Chester is okay in my book. Cool name if you ask me. Seriously, I have always liked this guy and the way he plays I would not mind seeing him in DC at all.

CultBrennan59 02-17-2010 09:45 PM

[quote=TheSmurfs22;664254]Anyone who in this day and age has the name Chester is okay in my book. Cool name if you ask me. Seriously, I have always liked this guy and the way he plays I would not mind seeing him in DC at all.[/quote]

Then maybe you'll want Chester Pitts the FA guard from houston who played under (Kyle) Shanahan the past few years.