Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   F...people who tell you how to parent (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35261)

mredskins 02-17-2010 02:48 PM

Re: F...people who tell you how to parent

[quote=SolidSnake84;664084]I wonder the same thing about why people bring newborns and babies into the movie theaters. I can only imagine that its from not having any babysitter. My cousin used to work at Carmike Cinemas in Winchester, and she told me [B]one time that these people brought a 2 year old to see Friday the 13th....wtf?[/B]?[/quote]

I was about ready to post that too! Saw a 4 year old girl at Friday 13th she sat in my row it was uncomfortable having there. I can imagine how well she slept the next few days. Iremeebr as a child seeing a clip A CLIP of the Exorcist and could not sleep for weeks.

Ok, forget this spanking kids we need to start spanking bad parents or putting them in time outs.

mlmdub130 02-17-2010 02:50 PM

jamf,
thank you that was good, i love the containing baby, and the car seat one the best

tmc,
couldn't agree with you more, we have the same mindset as far as annoying ass kids and public places

as far as the spanking a child, if i have said it once i have said it 100 times, somtimes what a kid really needs is a good spanking, you can say all you want about it but the bottom line is kids nowadays are flat out terrible. granted there are some kids out there that are respectful, but they are few and far between anymore, kids get away wioth so much more shit everyday. imo it goes with the whole "pussification" of our society, when i was a kid the team that lost didn't get a trophy and we kept score because in real life there are winners and losers, :rant: i don't have kids and won't have kids, so my views are more than a little jaded

dmek25 02-17-2010 02:54 PM

the one thing i have learned about parenting is... you can be the "best" parent in the land, and once the kid is old enough, the decisions are his/ hers. you can guide them, and teach them right from wrong. but they do have a mind of their own. and once they reach a certain age, its all them

mredskins 02-17-2010 02:56 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;664090]jamf,
thank you that was good, i love the containing baby, and the car seat one the best

tmc,
couldn't agree with you more, we have the same mindset as far as annoying ass kids and public places

as far as the spanking a child, if i have said it once i have said it 100 times, somtimes what a kid really needs is a good spanking, you can say all you want about it but the bottom line is kids nowadays are flat out terrible. granted there are some kids out there that are respectful, but they are few and far between anymore, kids get away wioth so much more shit everyday. imo it goes with the whole "pussification" of our society, when i was a kid the team that lost didn't get a trophy and we kept score because in real life there are winners and losers, :rant: i don't have kids and [B]won't have kids[/B], so my views are more than a little jaded[/quote]

And for that we are grateful.

Seriously some of you sound like the old guy on SNL that walked in the snow uphill both ways to school everyday.

Guess what you can hate on kids and old people all you want but at some point in your life you will be both of them just hope you don't run into in one with your beliefs.

Monkeydad 02-17-2010 03:30 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;664084]I wonder the same thing about why people bring newborns and babies into the movie theaters. I can only imagine that its from not having any babysitter. My cousin used to work at Carmike Cinemas in Winchester, and she told me one time that these people brought a 2 year old to see Friday the 13th....wtf??[/quote]

My kid is 2 and I still know he doesn't have the attention span for a movie in the theater. He's a VERY well-behaved boy...but I know a little kid's limits. A movie theater is no place for a small child, you'll only waste your money by leaving early or disturb everyone else by staying. I haven't seen a movie in the theater since he was born and don't mind. I knew ahead of time my priorities in life were going to have to change. It's not about me anymore.

I wish more people would realize this and take responsibility when they become parents, whether it was planned or not. Once a child is created inside the mother, your life is no longer about yourself, it's about protecting and raising that life you created. So if you can't go to movies, or shopping or amusement parks for a few years...tough, you're a parent now. If people would stop being so selfish and taking small children to places where it isn't appropriate for lengths of time beyond their tiny attention spans, we'd all have less screaming kids in public to deal with. It's not the kids' faults most of the time. You can't expect them to be able to go around town and into places where silence is required and behave like an adult with manners. Sure, kids should learn to behave to an extent in public, but if you're testing their boundaries and abilities to restrain themselves for so long, any kid can act up from boredom or fatigue. We took our son to NY in a car from PA...we learned his limit...about half an hour from Long Island. For the first 4 hours in the car, he was perfect...but there's a point. My butt was sore too. :D

Some people should get some parenting lessons, but I won't speak up, that's their lesson to learn.

mredskins 02-17-2010 03:47 PM

^ Try taking him to a pure kids movie it is a hoot. We have yet to take my son but we did go with my buddy and his kids to see Chicken Little. Nobody sits during the movie consistent talking, etc... the theater even keeps the lights on for the most part becasue they know no one is actually going to watch the movie.

We are thinking of taking him to Toy Story 3 as his first movie he will be 2.5 by then.

JoeRedskin 02-17-2010 03:51 PM

I flew back from Phoenix last Monday and sat next to twelve week old baby. It was the only aisle seat left and it was either there or between to guys as large as me. Squished for 5 hours or spacious (relatively) seat but next to crying baby.

I chose the baby... karma was good to me - it did not make a single noise the entire flight. It was amazing.

Monkeydad 02-17-2010 04:30 PM

[quote=mredskins;664163]^ Try taking him to a pure kids movie it is a hoot. We have yet to take my son but we did go with my buddy and his kids to see Chicken Little. Nobody sits during the movie consistent talking, etc... the theater even keeps the lights on for the most part becasue they know no one is actually going to watch the movie.

We are thinking of taking him to Toy Story 3 as his first movie he will be 2.5 by then.[/quote]

Last movie my wife and I saw was "Happy Feet" (yes the penguins) at an IMAX (yes before we had kids).

It was like we were at the South Pole. Ice everywhere.

When the time comes, yeah, we'll definitely take him to a kids' movie, but we still know it would be a waste of money at his young age. Now the train museum, that's a different story. :)

mlmdub130 02-17-2010 04:35 PM

[quote=mredskins;664163]^ Try taking him to a pure kids movie it is a hoot. We have yet to take my son but we did go with my buddy and his kids to see Chicken Little.[B] Nobody sits during the movie consistent talking, etc... the theater even keeps the lights on[/B] for the most part becasue they know no one is actually going to watch the movie.

We are thinking of taking him to Toy Story 3 as his first movie he will be 2.5 by then.[/quote]

my nightmare

mlmdub130 02-17-2010 04:38 PM

i just went out and while i was driving i passed a car with a young kid driver in it looked to be maybe 17, and on the rear window some one had written how is my driving please call and then a phone number, pretty sweet idea, it's a lock that id won't be cutting me off without a phone call to his parents

Monkeydad 02-17-2010 05:33 PM

^ NICE, gotta remember that one for about another 15 years...

CRedskinsRule 02-17-2010 05:42 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;664201]i just went out and while i was driving i passed a car with a young kid driver in it looked to be maybe 17, and on the rear window some one had written how is my driving please call and then a phone number, pretty sweet idea, it's a lock that id won't be cutting me off without a phone call to his parents[/quote]

At one point I had started to look into setting up a Call Line using those same bumper stickers, get a good 800 number and let parents register their vehicles just like truckers do. Seemed like a decent potential, but I just bailed on it. Still think it seems like someone could make a go of something like that

BDBohnzie 02-23-2010 11:45 AM

I have two little ones, 2 and a 1/2 and 14 months. Both my wife and I were spanked as children, and it was something we both agreed to try and not do. To this day, we still haven't spanked either one of our kids. Not that I don't agree with the idea of spanking, it's just something we've decided to try and live without.

Timeouts have worked for us thus far. My oldest responds to it very well. We always assure to tell her why we put her there, and then talk to her about it after it's done.

As far as being out with the kids, we always make sure to go to kid-friendly places where we know the noise volume is higher than normal. For the most part, our girls are well-behaved, and if they get too rowdy, we pack up and go. No reason for anyone else to suffer because our kids can't behave.

I can't see my oldest sitting through an entire movie since she can barely sit through a 20 minute episode of Scooby Doo (which is her favorite right now, although she likes Max & Ruby, Phineas & Ferb, Dragon Tales, and Yo Gabba Gabba too...I sneak in Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies from time to time and she likes those). But I think here soon we'll give it a whirl at home, as we do have a good number of Disney/Pixar movies.

mredskins 02-23-2010 11:49 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie;665186]I have two little ones, 2 and a 1/2 and 14 months. Both my wife and I were spanked as children, and it was something we both agreed to try and not do. To this day, we still haven't spanked either one of our kids. Not that I don't agree with the idea of spanking, it's just something we've decided to try and live without.

Timeouts have worked for us thus far. My oldest responds to it very well. We always assure to tell her why we put her there, and then talk to her about it after it's done.

As far as being out with the kids, we always make sure to go to kid-friendly places where we know the noise volume is higher than normal. For the most part, our girls are well-behaved, and if they get too rowdy, we pack up and go. No reason for anyone else to suffer because our kids can't behave.

[B]I can't see my oldest sitting through an entire movie since she can barely sit through a 20 minute episode of Scooby Doo (which is her favorite right now, although she likes Max & Ruby, Phineas & Ferb, Dragon Tales, and Yo Gabba Gabba too[/B]...I sneak in Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies from time to time and she likes those). But I think here soon we'll give it a whirl at home, as we do have a good number of Disney/Pixar movies.[/quote]

Sadly my son is in love with Dora, that show is so bad not Barney bad but still annoying.

BDBohnzie 02-23-2010 12:00 PM

My daughter loves Dora, but sadly it never shows up on our TV, so she doesn't request it. I just think it's funny that she's scared of different things, but Scooby Doo doesn't freak her out. Almost like she knows how campy it really is.